HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 1:31 AM

I have the biggest suspicion that that is Pacific BL in Huntington Park. Pep Boys auto parts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Very interesting Hoss. I've been waiting for the exterior photos.

It's curious....there's a round room with windows in the interior, yet only right angles on the exterior.
__

'mystery' location

eBay

I really like the old 'hotel' blade sign (and the one at street level as well) and the BOYS sign. -very cool

__

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 3:16 AM

Quote:
'mystery' location #2

"LAMTA Los Angeles 3017 Trolley, March 1963, Kodachrome 35mm train slide."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/T136-LAMTA-L...3D272122988114

Not too many clues here, unless someone recognizes the slanted type-font of the silver letters.

__
This was a California State office building at 1100 S. Grand Ave. The building still exists albeit as the "Grand Lofts Downtown L.A." with a street address of 330 W. 11th St.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 3:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by so-cal-bear View Post
I have the biggest suspicion that that is Pacific BL in Huntington Park. Pep Boys auto parts.
I can see the resemblance, SCB; but it's actually Long Beach Blvd. (née American Ave.) in Long Beach.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 3:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
This was a California State office building at 1100 S. Grand Ave. The building still exists albeit as the "Grand Lofts Downtown L.A." with a street address of 330 W. 11th St.
Thanks HH, I don't think I would have ever figured it out.

gsv

1958 original slide
__

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 12:15 PM

Sounds like a front to me...

Quote:
Originally posted by Tourmaline

I want to take a minute & look at this photograph a bit closer.

I first noticed the roof-top sign for Tartaglia Tailors.

detail

http://www.lacityhistory.org/blog/wp...ing-mirror.jpg

This pocket mirror, from an earlier era than Tourmaline's LIFE photo, shows each of the six Tartaglia brothers, Charles, Joseph, Michael, John, Angelo and Otto. Three of the brothers had married by 1920,and they all lived next to each other on S. St. Andrews Place.

...and this is interesting. "Each of the married brothers had one bachelor brother living with them."
___

I found a Beverly Hills address but it isn't on Rodeo Drive.

9885 Santa Monica Blvd. (the Tartaglia Tailors in Tourmaline's is on Rodeo Drive, right?)

http://www.lacityhistory.org/blog/20...-bros-tailors/

and this, also showing the Santa Monica address.

http://www.lacityhistory.org/blog/20...-bros-tailors/

*I'm not sure if the Tartaglia Tailors had any connection with the Tartaglia Apartments at 245 S. Fremont Ave.

Originally posted by Godzilla

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=28897

Originally posted by Godzilla

http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=28897

__

Tailors? Ha!

Tom Hagen: When I meet with Tattaglia's men, should I insist all their drug middlemen have clean records?

Don Corleone: Mention it, don't insist. But Barzini will know that without being told.

Tom Hagen: You mean Tattaglia...

Don Corleone: Tattaglia is a pimp. He never could have outfought Santino. But I didn't know until this day that it was Barzini all along.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHuntington View Post
I can see the resemblance, SCB; but it's actually Long Beach Blvd. (née American Ave.) in Long Beach.
Pep Boys was at 336 Long Beach Blvd.; in the pic, we're looking north. As soon as I saw the image, I said to myself, "Why, that looks like Long Beach...", which makes sense as, even when I was a mere tyke, I was a frequent habitué of Acres of Books, which was located on the same side of the street about a block and a half south (so I'd be passing Pep Boys all the time and the streetscape became familiar to me). Both sides of the street are completely redeveloped now, with no remnants of the buildings visible in the picture. The pic can't be later than April, 1961, as that's when the Red Car service to Long Beach ceased (not sure of the precise date). As it happens, my father took me and my brother on the Red Car from Long Beach to L.A. either on the last trip of all, or at least on the last day on which trips were made, and I would have glanced at familiar Pep Boys as we went along, as I was on the right side of the car for the trip.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 4:50 PM

Here's your old stomping grounds odinthor. (magnificent use of tongue depressors* )

gsv

Check this old post out if you like
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=31313

Looking especially lonely from the alley.

gsv
__

It seems a bit tragic that all the building in my slide are gone.

odinthor, do you remember the old hotel.....it's name perhaps?

It appears there was also a 'Federal Savings' in the hotel building.

hmmmmmm.....I just noticed; I believe the name of the hotel is on the green window (arched above the word hotel), but it's impossible to read.

& could the white 'deco' building behind the streetcar be a Sears store?

The sign on the side appears to be practically hidden, unless it was intended to be seen from the back......if there was parking in the back.
(or...maybe there was a space between the 'Sears' store and the Pep Boys) -in others words, I just don''t know why it would have been placed where it is.

__

*back in 2012, I found another building that used tongue depressors.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9913

(I have an innate fear of tongue depressors)

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 10, 2016 at 5:41 PM.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 5:20 PM

The way things were.

1938 - Warner Bros, Bubank. From: http://images.google.com/hosted/life...7dfada009.html

She's got Bette Davis eyes.

Parking is still a problem.

Ann Sheridan before Jane Curtin.

Could have made a great Mayflower (Maybe it did.)

Duke Mantee's alter ego, Bogart

Grab some grub.

Different tier lunchroom

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 6:29 PM

Bring back Prohibition ?!?!

From a collection entitled "Wctu Girls Raid Pasadena Bars" http://images.google.com/hosted/life...a3a8e1eb9.html

Pasadena - May 1947

Is bankable beer an option?

Bald tires, alcohol, texting or all of above?

So much for a two drink minimum.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 7:25 PM

I've left this Julius Shulman image with its original sepia tones. It's "Job 360: Walter's Furniture (Inglewood, Calif.), 1948".

Getty Research Institute

Other than naming the glass company who ordered the picture, there was no information with the photo. Googling didn't provide an address either, so I thought I'd be posting this as a mystery location until I spotted the distinctive neon on the right. The neon spiral belonged to the Academy Theatre, seen here in a post by MichaelRyerson.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
You may have noticed that the picture above is also by Julius Shulman, so look out for more pictures from that set tomorrow.

The theater building is still standing, but the pole has lost its spiral. Armed with the address of the theater, I went looking for the Walter's building. This one at 3215 W Manchester Boulevard is wide enough, and in the right location, but the extra height and design differences made me unsure ...

GSV

... until I took a closer look at the entrance.

GSV

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 7:48 PM

Power pole in photo

That power pole with the transformers in the photo might actually be the same pole in both pictures. I looked it up and it's from 1953. The pole on 33rd st behind the RTD bus in the newer picture is from 1934 and is still there! A large percentage of power poles in these photos are probably still in the same location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwy_central_bldg View Post
I think we're looking at the west side of S Main St. just above Jefferson.

GSV

Note the details in the moulding on the building on the left. And the cornice of the building at middle that is raised slightly (and just barely appears over the streetcar). Finally even the fire escape and telephone poles still look the same! I think that hardware store might have survived as well; pretty nice to see nearly a full block still standing...

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 10.16.38 PM copy by broadway_central_building, on Flickr

Screen Shot 2016-04-04 at 10.29.39 PM by broadway_central_building, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 7:51 PM

Quote:

Here's your old stomping grounds odinthor. (magnificent use of tongue depressors* )

gsv

Check this old post out if you like
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=31313

Looking especially lonely from the alley.

gsv
__

It seems a bit tragic that all the building in my slide are gone.

odinthor, do you remember the old hotel.....it's name perhaps?

hmmmmmm.....I just noticed; I believe the name of the hotel is on the green window (arched above the word hotel), but it's impossible to read.

& could the white 'deco' building behind the streetcar be a Sears store?

The sign on the side appears to be practically hidden, unless it was intended to be seen from the back......if there was parking in the back.
(or...maybe there was a space between the 'Sears' store and the Pep Boys) -in others words, I just don''t know why it would have been placed where it is.

__

*back in 2012, I found another building that used tongue depressors.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...postcount=9913

(I have an innate fear of tongue depressors)

_
Thanks, e_r! Many an hour I spent at Acres of Books from the late 50s when I was barely old enough to read until the place closed; and many are the books from there still on my bookshelves (in fact, I was just reading one an hour ago).

Man, I was doing all sorts of Photoshop tricks last night to try to read the hotel's name, which is in the window; I can barely make out the word HOTEL, which is in larger lettering than the "personal" name of the hotel just preceding it, and which I can't make out. I had no awareness of the hotel previously--if I thought about it at all in the olden days, it was probably just as being another flophouse in downtown LB.

To the right of Acres of Books was a narrow building which was at first a bank and then a photography shop; and immediately to the right of that was a very noir alley. To the left of Acres of Books, beyond a little parking lot, was a bar. I don't recall that one ever entered or exited Acres of Books in the back, though there was a door (delivery door, I'd guess). There was of course the front door, and midway there was a little door at the side, just inside of which was a cashier counter.

Back to the pic: In addition to the Sea[rs] sign (there was a big Sears store a few blocks down; this must have been some offshoot remote department of it), one can also make out a small "furn[iture]" sign; and further down is a big blade sign which I think says, in full, "LARS," which rings no bells with me.

Ah, tongue depressors! Just the mere mention of them brings back to me their wooden toothpick flavor. Yum...

By the way, just before the economic turndown, the city of LB and Cal State Long Beach had an ambitious plan to turn the whole block on which Acres of Books sits into some sort of collegiate arts community, retaining the AoB building, and erecting new structures to accompany it. This was eventually put on hold, and I'm unsure of the current status of the plan. It was an interesting plan, and would I think have been a good thing all the way around, as bringing some youthfulness and vitality to downtown LB.

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

... until I took a closer look at the entrance.

GSV
Good eye Hoss....what a fun discovery!
__

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 8:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Thanks, e_r!

Back to the pic: In addition to the Sea[rs] sign (there was a big Sears store a few blocks down; this must have been some offshoot remote department of it),
one can also make out a small "furn[iture]" sign; and further down is a big blade sign which I think says, in full, "LARS," which rings no bells with me.

detail / a look further down the street

I believe this might be the Sears store you mentioned (it has the same type-font as the Sears of that era) The S is behind a metal sign hanging from the wires above the street

.....but I could be wrong (of course )

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 8:43 PM

Anybody recognize the make/model of that TV and audio console in Walter's window:

Pretty high-tech for 1948.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 9:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
The way things were.

Different tier lunchroom
Possibly Barbara Stanwyck with cigarette and Fred Clark to her right? Gentleman across from them has a Gable look but I don't think it's him.
And could that be Eddie Cantor just right of the coat rack?

[QUOTE=Tourmaline;7499163]

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 9:30 PM

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

Man, I was doing all sorts of Photoshop tricks last night to try to read the hotel's name, which is in the window; I can barely make out the word HOTEL, which is in larger lettering than the "personal" name of the hotel just preceding it, and which I can't make out. I had no awareness of the hotel previously--if I thought about it at all in the olden days, it was probably just as being another flophouse in downtown LB.
It looks like the hotel was the Rolston Hotel at 332 Long Beach Boulevard. Pep Boys was at 338, and the Furn[iture] sign most likely belonged to Ocean Furniture at 342. The clipping below is from the 1960 Long Beach CD.

www.lbpl.org

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl Boebert View Post

Anybody recognize the make/model of that TV and audio console in Walter's window:

Pretty high-tech for 1948.
It looks like this 1949 Philco (the TV controls are slightly different). Maybe the new models were in early!

www.tvhistory.tv

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 9:55 PM

Quote:

detail / a look further down the street

I believe this might be the Sears store you mentioned (it has the same type-font as the Sears of that era) The S is behind a metal sign hanging from the wires above the street

.....but I could be wrong (of course )
[Slaps forehead] Of course: My "LARS" must be "SEARS" with the first letter obscured. Eh! Thanks, e_r!

Old Posted Jul 10, 2016, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
It looks like the hotel was the Rolston Hotel at 332 Long Beach Boulevard. Pep Boys was at 338, and the Furn[iture] sign most likely belonged to Ocean Furniture at 342. The clipping below is from the 1960 Long Beach CD.

www.lbpl.org
Right-o. Thanks, HossC!

The listing has Pep Boys at address 338; my 336 came from a Pep Boys ad in the L.A. Times on June 4, 1961 (or maybe I misread it...).

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos