HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Dec 21, 2012, 11:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris123678 View Post
I'f I'm not mistaken, the new One World Trade center is smaller.

Floor span were 60 feet between the outer wall and core in the twins and 40 feet for the new tower
That's because the Twins had tube frame non-structural cores and relied on perimeter steel for structural support. The new tower has a structural core which is significantly larger and stronger due to safety improvements. So, yes, the smaller floor area is to be expected.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 12:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouchTheSky13 View Post
That's because the Twins had tube frame non-structural cores and relied on perimeter steel for structural support. The new tower has a structural core which is significantly larger and stronger due to safety improvements. So, yes, the smaller floor area is to be expected.
No, the twins' cores were structural, but were only capable of supporting a gravity load. the ends of the floor trusses were 50% supported by the core. The misinformation surround the mythical non-structural core comes from the media and even some experts referring to it as an "elevator core." over time the title was explained [falsely]to mean that the core had the sole purpose of guiding the elevators. The core stood briefly after the collapses but were not designed to stay vertical without horizontal bracing from the floors and perimeter columns. The twins' cores also contained all the bathrooms, stairways, conduits, hallways, service rooms, local plumbing. Also if there is still any doubt of the structural nature of the core, how could the floors be supported if only one end of the trusses were attached to a load path? If it weren't OT I would go further, but I want people to not be misguided. The difference is that this core can stand alone in the worst case scenario of a partial collapse of the perimeter floors.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meh_cd View Post
The floors were short, yes, but that was normal for the time. 10 feet and a few inches if I remember correctly, so unless you were a giant you would have had little trouble. Maybe some claustrophobia, yeah. 2 meters is only approx 6.5 feet.

The new tower has 13 foot+ ceilings depending on the floor. That is the normal for today's towers, as you said.
13'-4" for One World Trade Center and 12'-0" slab to slab spacing on standard floors. The ceilings in the twins were about 8' high and about 10' in the new tower.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorque View Post
Don't know why construction is so slow since a few months...

Ten days since the antenna pieces are here, and they still have not yet assembled it on the rooftop.
Same with concrete base, still not covered by glass, although they had two years to do this.

Only positive aspect is that there has been no mortal accident during the construction..
let me use a metaphor to kindly explain why the "concrete base, [is] still not covered by glass, although they had two years."

Imagine you are building a house. I come in on the fourth day of construction, stand in the middle of a bare frame and demand that the walls be painted by tomorrow. There, now do you get it?

Antenna Mast metaphor:
Can you please have that lightning rod put on my house by tomorrow, I know I still have to build the roof, but I started construction a month ago, so there is no excuse.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Once 1WTC is finished, do you think office floors will look like the original "open-space" office floors in the Twin Towers ?

Notice that the floors were not tall at all.. People taller than two meters must have had difficulties to work here.

Floors are taller in 1WTC because there are 75 "real" floors, compared to 110 in the former towers.
probably not as wide open b/c of the concrete core that was not in the originals

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 4:44 AM

Is 1wtc immune from collapsing like the original twin towers did? What kind of damage would the new tower sustain if it was attacked again like on 9/11?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 7:53 AM

Structurally, yes it is immune. It has a reinforced concrete base, 3-foot concrete walls for stairwells, elevator shafts, risers and high powered sprinkler systems. There is also high-tech soft ware to detect any abnormalities in the buildings such as unattended bags.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 8:56 AM
Sukaitsuri

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the former twin towers had a particularity in their structure:
a part of the weight was supported by the exterior columns, and not 100% for the concrete core.
That's why it collapsed quite fast: the planes broke half of the columns when they crashed. Although the MAIN reason of collapsing was the heat, that softened steel.

For 1WTC, that's different:
first, the tower floors become smaller as it reaches the sky: less weight to support.
Then, it seems that concrete core is quite massive, so it will help in case of crash.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack776 View Post
NY Guy I dont know how you manage to moderate all these forums...all I can say is thanks,

Thanks Carlos for the constant updates and everyone else hunting & posting photos,
it takes more time than you realise to do this everyday-
THANKS EVERYONE!

Everyone Have a Happy Holiday, Merry Christmas, Hanukkah, Quanza, Festivus or celebrate nothing at all,
Lets Just be good to each other all year not just at the "holidays", The only good thing post 9/11 brought
was the sense of community and helping each other out right after it happened.....we have lost that again
lets not wait for another tragedy to feel that way for our fellow neighbors again.

I also want to keep Zen Steel Dudes family in our thoughts this time of year,

-Jason
+1, great post

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 2:28 PM

Quote:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the former twin towers had a particularity in their structure:
a part of the weight was supported by the exterior columns, and not 100% for the concrete core.
That's why it collapsed quite fast: the planes broke half of the columns when they crashed. Although the MAIN reason of collapsing was the heat, that softened steel.

For 1WTC, that's different:
first, the tower floors become smaller as it reaches the sky: less weight to support.
Then, it seems that concrete core is quite massive, so it will help in case of crash.

The twins had no concrete core. 50% of the external floors' weight [between exterior walls and core] were supported by the steel core columns and 100% of the core floors' weight and everything on them was supported by the core columns. In other words, the core supported more weight than the exterior columns but almost none of the sheer forces. The twins were able to stand due to this shared load system for long enough after the impacts to save thousands of lives, but yes, the remaining load paths were at their limits and the heating of the steel pushed them over the edge. This tower is designed with a core that will act as a building within a building in the worst case scenario.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 7:39 PM
New Yorker for life

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshane73 View Post
And yet when all is done and people go to work in this building it will be just an ordinary office building.

All of the "special" things that they have done constructing it were unnecessary and wasteful.
I find this post to be unnecessary and wasteful. Everyone knows the security measures put in place were necessary, and even completed this will be no ordinary office building.

Mitch Waxman

Artistic Swag

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 7:47 PM

wow seeing the base without the black netting really sets in that this is almost complete lol preety incredible after all this time to finally be almost there !

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 8:18 PM

Prominent appearance of the completed One World Trade Center in the short film Plurality:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzryBRPwsog

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 8:41 PM

love finally seeing this tower so close to completion!

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post

i love the view of midtown from here! do you have any info on whats going on with the base?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2012, 10:01 PM
I Love Tall Buildings

Anybody gonna get a picture of the base right now?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 12:45 AM
Map Guru

The Xmas lights... so perfect

https://www.facebook.com/EZRDSocial

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 4:39 AM
Mr. Technology

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Everyone knows the security measures put in place were necessary, and even completed this will be no ordinary office building.
This tower serves as a living tribute to those who perished on 9/11/01 and the twin pools serve as a reminder of what was lost on that tragic day.

As for this tower itself, no other office tower has been built to such high standards yet.

Any company who leases office space in this tower will know that they are moving into the most secure office building in the city.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 11:05 AM
Bionic Boogie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rack776 View Post

Thanks Carlos for the constant updates...

-Jason

Merry Christmas!!!!!! to you too Jason

1wtc12202012 by Ceva321, on Flickr
SSP member since 2003
Please do not use any of my photos or videos without my permission. thanks

Old Posted Dec 23, 2012, 5:38 PM

Why is the glass taking so long did they not get in yet cause at this rate it won't be done til june.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive