HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Jun 17, 2021, 10:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
Agreed in part.

Turnover of spots are key issues and as we saw last year with 'free' on-street parking leading to stagnation and annoyance.

Curious to see how they propose this and manage it.
curious to see how they justify free parking and the inherent problems that layers in while at the same time they're moving to pay parking for parks.

it's almost reminiscent of the city acquiring land in the quarters ostensibly to create shorter blocks that are more pedestrian oriented while at the same time combining the short blocks at blatchford ostensibly to create longer blocks that would be more pedestrian oriented.

Old Posted Jul 8, 2021, 7:26 PM
Community Guy

An interesting new APP for Downtown.

https://www.zipstall.com/localdollars

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 3:05 PM
Community Guy

Downtown workers would like cheaper parking, but consider the costs, says planner

March 3, 2022 · The Pulse
By Emily Rendell-Watson
Comments

A survey for the Edmonton Downtown Business Association found that 60% of workers view the availability of discounted parking as a factor that would increase the likelihood of them choosing to return to work downtown.

But while discounting parking or making it free may seem like an attractive solution to reinvigorate the heart of the city, it’s not that simple, explained urban planner Neal LaMontagne.

“There’s no such thing as free parking. To discount that parking, somebody is paying for it,” he said. If it’s not the city, distributing the cost through taxes, then it’s the building manager or developer, or the employer, a factor that would likely be considered in setting wages.

Discounted downtown parking, which is expensive to build and maintain, would also provide a “tremendous incentive” to choose driving over other modes of transportation. This is problematic because the core has limited capacity to take an influx of cars. There are also environmental concerns that go beyond having more cars on the roads if the demand for parking increases.

https://edmonton.taproot.news/news/2...eid=b81cde227f

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 3:34 PM
Change is good

Many of those going back to work in office (vs WFH), for the first few months may only go back in a hybrid fashion 2-3 days a week, which increases the cost of parking as monthly pass is too expensive if not full time, and daily rates are not great for them either...
and while the CoE has let our transit stations turn further into transient and drug dens... transit is less and less of a desirable options.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2022, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
Many of those going back to work in office (vs WFH), for the first few months may only go back in a hybrid fashion 2-3 days a week, which increases the cost of parking as monthly pass is too expensive if not full time, and daily rates are not great for them either...
and while the CoE has let our transit stations turn further into transient and drug dens... transit is less and less of a desirable options.
Our office is coming back on a hybrid for about a month. However If you do want to work from home they would still like you in at least 1 time a week.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 4:44 AM

I suspect these latest gas prices are going to make many people reconsider mass transit.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 7:50 AM
Community Guy

Win Win Win

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
I suspect these latest gas prices are going to make many people reconsider mass transit.
Maybe a few people...doubt it causes a massive shift.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by feepa View Post
I agree. The City must create a Transit Police Force empowered to enforce laws - or have EPS structure a separate Police Transit Division to travel on and respond to issues on the trams.

Peace Officers are useless as they do not enforce the law and are nothing but high paid security guards that are unarmed and must call police to make an arrest. Transit Police should have a kiosk at every other station and certainly at the highest volume and problem stations during all operating hours.

We need this >. https://transitpolice.ca/about-us/ju...and-authority/

Old Posted Mar 4, 2022, 4:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam-machiavelli View Post
Figure I will see a lot more bikes on the paths this summer.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 12:17 AM

Transit really hasn't been all that bad lately. At least not during normal commuting hours.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2022, 4:57 PM

I suspect that as more people return to the office, there will be more passive eyes on the platforms, trains, and buses; and a lot of the disorderly behaviour will quieten down. I am an optimist.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 4:32 PM

Optimistic yes. But some of the attacks have been on busy platforms, trains, and buses.

Old Posted Mar 7, 2022, 5:37 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKaz View Post
Transit really hasn't been all that bad lately. At least not during normal commuting hours.
My wife has been taking the LRT since late November last year so it'll be interesting to see if she notices a difference going into Spring as far as disorder/sketchiness is concerned. She works anywhere from 8 AM - 4 PM to 1 - 9 PM so she sees the system at all times of the day.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2022, 3:42 PM
Community Guy

Not just a Downtown issue either, but a Central Edmonton one...

Old Strathcona parking lot sparks debate on how Edmonton leases public lands

Author of the article: Lauren Boothby
Publishing date:Mar 29, 2022 •

https://edmontonjournal.com/news/loc...s-public-lands

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 7:06 PM
Community Guy

Edmonton to crack down on vacant, illegal parking lots

Council directs city staff to outline options to turn parking lots into liveable areas

Natasha Riebe · CBC News
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmon...lots-1.6629571

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 9:16 PM
Change is good

Quote:

Council directs city staff to outline options to turn parking lots into liveable areas

Natasha Riebe · CBC News
years, perhaps decades overdue.

Old Posted Oct 26, 2022, 9:41 PM
A Better Place

Quote:

Natasha Riebe · CBC News
Question is, if anyone got a parking ticket at an 'illegal' parking lot, is it rendered null and void?

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 2:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Question is, if anyone got a parking ticket at an 'illegal' parking lot, is it rendered null and void?
Parking tickets under any private lots don't mean much. They can't take it to collections even though they try to pretend like they can.

Only thing they can do is tow you the next time you park there.

Old Posted Oct 27, 2022, 4:26 PM
A Better Place

Quote:
Originally Posted by trick91 View Post
Parking tickets under any private lots don't mean much. They can't take it to collections even though they try to pretend like they can.

Only thing they can do is tow you the next time you park there.
So this is the difference with City-owned lots, which have more authority to enforce fines such as through vehicle registrations, right?

To stick it to the illegal parking lot owners, no one should pay for parking until those owners bring their lots into compliance.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton