HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 2:19 PM
New Brunswick booster!

I ordered delivery from there (Thai Manao) over the weekend and I found their food very bland. It was the first time I ate from there and the last unfortunately. Saigon Noodle House on Prospect and Smythe is good though.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 2:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And bordering on slanderous unless there is supporting evidence. Be careful what you say unless you appreciate lawsuits.......

It's OK to have controversial opinions, but outright accusations could get you in trouble.
It is true ive seen the health inspection reports.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 2:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
I ordered delivery from there (Thai Manao) over the weekend and I found their food very bland. It was the first time I ate from there and the last unfortunately. Saigon Noodle House on Prospect and Smythe is good though.
Ive heard Saigon Noodle is good. Ok That's where im going. Maybe.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 2:36 PM
The Sheriff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
And bordering on slanderous unless there is supporting evidence. Be careful what you say unless you appreciate lawsuits.......

It's OK to have controversial opinions, but outright accusations could get you in trouble.
Its not slander if there proof and there is news articles proving it. Never would slander a business I just don't like their food its bland. I ate there once

Mr Doctor

should check to see if you have any reviews about yourself

www.ratemds.com

I wont say your name on here don't worry Today in 2016 we the customer have the power to write reviews.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 2:55 PM
Any where but Fredericton

I believe this is the website you are talking about

http://www1.gnb.ca/0601/fseinspectresults.asp

It has all the health inspection reports across New Brunswick, even if they pass or fail it shows their report online for anyone to read. Has schools and grocery stores as well.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 6:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnoxfordGuy View Post
I found it the same, not great, but Saigon is good.

I would also recommend the new place downtown, Damda (on Queen), it is excellent.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 7:39 PM

Once did a tea event at Thai Manano and that was awesome, the person ran through all kinds of different tea, the traditions of the tea ceremony, and a lot of background.

Food there is alright. I liked it, but it never blew me away. They have had health inspection issues in the past, that's a matter of public record. AFAIK none lately, though. A lot of restaurants run by people new to Canada have issues as the standards are different than in other countries.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2016, 7:51 PM

More construction woes for Drivers

Quote:
More construction work is about to begin in the City of Fredericton.

The province's Department of Transportation and Infrastructure says paving work is expected to begin at the Maple Street and Ring Road intersection on Tuesday evening and continue until next Monday.

Drivers are being encouraged to find alternate routes if possible.

On the south side of the river, work is expected to take place on Regent Street from Wayne Squibb Boulevard to the Regent Street underpass between Wednesday and Friday.

The department says there will be lane closures in order to remove the old asphalt surface, and drivers should expect delays during peak times.
Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot more road work going on this summer than usual? Or maybe it's just major roads/intersections being hit instead of being hidden in the 'burbs?

Looking forward to it all getting done; but it is getting tiring. Still, Regent should be done in a few (3-4?) more weeks, at least to the point they can open. They're working on the new bridge's deck now. And the lights and islands at the Prospect Intersection are being worked on now too. (It was horrible during the rain on Sunday)

*Edit* Oh and Queen @ Carleton wasn't completed so they're doing work tonight too:

Quote:
Due to the amount of rain received on the weekend, the work scheduled within the Queen Street/Carleton Street intersection, was not completed.
The work will resume this evening, Tuesday August 16, Queen Street (Regent St- York St) will be closed to all traffic between 6:30pm and 6:00am.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
More construction woes for Drivers

Is it just me, or does there seem to be a lot more road work going on this summer than usual? Or maybe it's just major roads/intersections being hit instead of being hidden in the 'burbs?

Looking forward to it all getting done; but it is getting tiring. Still, Regent should be done in a few (3-4?) more weeks, at least to the point they can open. They're working on the new bridge's deck now. And the lights and islands at the Prospect Intersection are being worked on now too. (It was horrible during the rain on Sunday)

*Edit* Oh and Queen @ Carleton wasn't completed so they're doing work tonight too:
I just wish we the drivers would know when they are going to start paving the ring road area that is left long with maple street intersection. Seems to be hit or miss they do one part then they wait another week to do some more :|
Good to know when you can avoid that area or take an alternate route

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 12:52 PM

On top of everything else, it seems that while working on Dundonald, they decided to tear a strip off of Smythe street too, as I discovered last night. Granted, that section was rutting so badly it needed to be done. But as is, the only route up the hill NOT under construction right now is Hanwell (possibly the route that needs it the most). Oh and I suppose York isn't being touched at the moment too, but it gets the Priestman/Regent construction by proxy.

And in more construction related news:

Council approves nighttime noise exemption request for new Fredericton hotel

Quote:
Fredericton city council has approved a nighttime noise exemption request for the new downtown hotel project on Queen Street.

Council held a special – and short – public meeting Tuesday afternoon to consider the exemption, which will run from Aug. 18 to Aug. 29.

Ken Forrest, the city's growth and community services director, says the contractor needs to perform two large concrete pours to get the foundation in place.

"That requires them to pour over a significant period of time," Forrest says. "It's a longer pour than the amount of time that's allowed in a single day to undertake construction in the city."

"Once it starts, they can't stop until it's finished."

A staff report to council says the raft slab foundation needs to be constructed in two separate sections.

Each section must have a continuous pour and finish and will take about 24 hours to complete.

The staff report indicates the contractor plans to start work at 6 p.m. on Aug. 18 and Aug. 23, though Forrest says that depends on the weather.

"You can't pour concrete in the rain, and the temperature has to be a very certain level," Forrest says.

Forrest says noise won't be a significant issue with this phase of the work.

City council formally approved an agreement with Vancouver-based Aquilini Properties to build a new $20-million hotel last September.

The eight-storey Hilton Garden Inn, which will be attached to the Fredericton Convention Centre, is slated to open in late 2017.

Finally, just an observation, but it looks like the Wilmot Park splash pad won't hit the mid-August completion. They were pouring yesterday, but they still have 1 or 2 slabs left to complete by the looks of it, and the rain certainly isn't helping. Still, they do seem to be doing some of the final plantings and beautification stages on what they can do. The shades are up and plastic is off of the pillars.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 6:44 PM

I stumbled across an interesting picture. These are river boats docked at the bottom of Regent Street, where Point Sainte-Anne loops around currently. It's too bad that river boats are a thing of the past. It would be an interesting tourist attraction to have something like those Viking River Cruises that would run from Saint John to Fredericton. Then again, they could only go as far as the train bridge since it doesn't open any more and I'm not sure how it would interact with the cable river ferries. (Just a fantasy)

In other news, it seems the former Tommy's Flooring is actually rebuilding the foundation walls. I hope it's not another single story building taking up a valuable piece of downtown land.

It will be exciting to see the new downtown hotel take shape. Does anyone know where I can find the designs for it? I can't seem to find them.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 7:35 PM

Follow-up to an earlier observation I made a few weeks ago but was by the former Liquidation World on St. Mary's today. Definitely renovations happening. Drywall and painting going on inside. Still no idea what's up but I guess we will find out.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 7:44 PM

Very cool Pic

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 7:48 PM

Very cool pic indeed.

We do have river tours still in the area. There's a group that tours the Mactaquac/Nackawic area, and I believe there's another tour group that does a river tour for the Freddy to Mactaquac area more or less. (They leave from the Lighthouse area I believe).

A bigger tour boat going from Freddy (below the walking bridge) to SJ would be a great addition to the tour business. Now that the Gagetown ferry is gone, are there any more cable ferries left? (Even if there are, I'm sure they have ways to relax the cable for boats to pass safely)

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 8:09 PM

Quote:
A bigger tour boat going from Freddy (below the walking bridge) to SJ would be a great addition to the tour business. Now that the Gagetown ferry is gone, are there any more cable ferries left? (Even if there are, I'm sure they have ways to relax the cable for boats to pass safely)
There is still a cable ferry in Westfield (Brundage Point) as well as another in Quispamsis (Gondola Point) where a bridge has been proposed. Both of these are wide and deep enough to allow small to medium vessels to pass.

Old Posted Aug 17, 2016, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Very cool pic indeed.

We do have river tours still in the area. There's a group that tours the Mactaquac/Nackawic area, and I believe there's another tour group that does a river tour for the Freddy to Mactaquac area more or less. (They leave from the Lighthouse area I believe).

There's the following cable ferries:
1. Evandale
2. Westfield
3. Kennebecasis Island (I think?)
4. Millidgeville on the Kingston Peninsula towards SJ
5. Quispamsis
6. Belleisle Bay

And Gagetown is gone forever according to the news and Hampstead has been out of service since 2009.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 1:17 AM

Looks like construction of the gas bar/convenience store/drive-thru restaurant at Cliffe and 2NC is ready to proceed. Surveying has been completed and noticed some construction set-up activity this afternoon

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 11:08 AM

They were pouring more concrete at the splash pad this morning. Starting to look good. Couldn't tell how close they were of finishing since I just was able to take a glance

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trev71 View Post
They were pouring more concrete at the splash pad this morning. Starting to look good. Couldn't tell how close they were of finishing since I just was able to take a glance
Noticed that as well and could only glance at it. This is probably the last day of pouring, so it's just finishing things up from here on out. Landscaping seemed to be about half done. They might be able to open it up next week sometime I'd guess; just in time to shut it down for the winter.

Old Posted Aug 18, 2016, 12:14 PM

Pavement going down at the corner of Regent and Prospect. Excited to see the improvements.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces