HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 1:28 PM

^^^
Ah yes, the fire station at Robertson and Pickford: https://www.google.com/maps/@34.0505...7i16384!8i8192

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Jul 23, 2020, 1:43 PM

LAT 3-9-53

LAT 7-10-60

By 1961, Joachim Dance was Crest International...

LAT 2-26-61

Last edited by GaylordWilshire; Jul 23, 2020 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 2:57 PM

Has anyone heard of Spectrum 2000? As you can see it was located in a heavily remodeled Ciro's building.

links coming

I thought it was an entertainment or media company until I happened upon the ad shown below.

no date

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 24, 2020 at 3:17 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 3:10 PM

& about the same time yesterday I happened upon this Kodak snapshot. .

It's BOSS - 1967..................................................................................................................................Here

It's possible we have seen this before on nla...........................................

........ Ghislaine Maxwell

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 24, 2020 at 3:36 PM.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 3:39 PM

I found that Spectrum 2000 picture the other day at abcdvdvideo.myshopify.com, but didn't get around to posting it. They date it at 1967. Strangely, it never appears in the CDs (and neither does It's Boss). Here are the listings for 8433 Sunset Boulevard from 1967 to 1973. Note that Ciro's is included even when The Comedy Store first appears in 1973:

Ciros
The Store

Sennes F Enterprises
Ciros
Living Room The
Store The

Sennes F Enterprises
Ciros
Frasen Corp
Living Room The
Store The

Sennes Frank Jr
Ciro's
Comedy Store The

Below is a video dated as both 1967 and 1968. You can see the Spectrum 2000 sign in color at about 42 seconds in. Just before the band at the end, the sign for the recently discussed Haunted House on Hollywood Boulevard can be seen.

Video Link

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 5:26 PM

This past week I've been trying to figure out the names of the places located at 8433 Sunset Blvd. location after Ciro's closed in 1957 until The Comedy Store from 1972 - present. There's a lot of mis-information online, much of it from random memory.

I found that photo you posted E_R online, too. I'm beginning to think that whomever or whatever the owners of it were, that it was often rented out for periods of time under different names, because nothing seems to have lasted there for very long, 18 months at most from my findings so far, and on at least one occasion it was being shared by two different places...I think. Heh!

I'll post what I have found so far, soon. Thanks for the CD info HossC. That lends credence to my notion that different entities were using it for club space with different names.

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 6:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire

July 1960

This photograph was taken during the same week in July, 1960.

"Louis Riggio, left, accepts some Jehovah's Witnesses literature from Jim Waddington. Girls, left to right, are Deborah Zielinksi, Marcia Waddington and Carol Jack. The religious group is holding an assembly here."......

calisphere

It took me quite awhile to find the name "Jehovah's Witness" on the posters.

detail

Old Posted Jul 24, 2020, 7:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

This past week I've been trying to figure out the names of the places located at 8433 Sunset Blvd. location after Ciro's closed in 1957 until The Comedy Store from 1972 - present. There's a lot of mis-information online, much of it from random memory.

I found that photo you posted E_R online, too. I'm beginning to think that whomever or whatever the owners of it were, that it was often rented out for periods of time under different names, because nothing seems to have lasted there for very long, 18 months at most from my findings so far, and on at least one occasion it was being shared by two different places...I think. Heh!

I'll post what I have found so far, soon. Thanks for the CD info HossC. That lends credence to my notion that different entities were using it for club space with different names.
This excerpt from an article about Art Laboe in the May 4, 1974 edition of Billboard seems to confirm the ephemeral nature of the tenants of 8433 Sunset in the late-60s.
NB. I've OCR'd the text as the layout wasn't screen-friendly.
Back to the 1960s, Laboe left radio in 1961 because the station he was on at the time (with Alan Freed) went to an all-black format and he felt the record label demanded his full attention.

"Being a disk jockey was my first love," he says, "but the company had grown to a point where it required full attention.

"At one time Larry Finley and I had done an interview show in the lobby of Ciro's, a popular club on the strip. We talked to movie stars like Clark Gable, Tyrone Power, Gary Cooper and so on.

"Anyway, the club had run through a succession of failures and by 1967 was being used primarily for private parties. I went to a New Year's Eve party there that year and decided that I wanted to do something with the club. But I was busy with the label at the time and a group called Dyke & the Blazers, so I temporarily shelved the idea."

In June, 1972, however, Laboe opened Art Laboe's Club. It was launched as an oldies club, open 8:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. weekends, featuring as many as eight acts a night and including a $3.50 admission price with no requirement to buy food or drink once inside.

A house band provided music for continuous dancing, and artists included Ron Holden (now M.C.), Don Julian and the Larks, the Medallions, Coasters, Penguins, Shirley & Lee, Bob B. Sox, Jesse Hill, and Tony Allen.

"I used my name," Laboe says, "because I felt I had a strong local following and I thought a club with my name would do better than a club that simply stressed oldies. Besides, most of the artists do contemporary songs as well as their big hits."

In October, 1972, an upstairs section of the club opened and ever since, Laboe has been broadcasting from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. weekends over KRTH-FM, an oldies station. He takes dedications just as he did in the old days.

"We don't get the typical Hollywood crowd," he says. "We have a lot of Mexican-Americans, who have been so important to rock in L.A., a lot of kids from the Valley and a generally older crowd, running from about 28 to the mid-30s. If I had to depend on the Hollywood crowd, I'd be out of business."

What is the need for such a club? "People of that era," Laboe says bluntly, "really don't have anywhere else to go. They don't like current hard rock but they don't like Vegas-type material either. We give them the music they want and what we hope is a relaxed atmosphere. Basically, we have found a need and we are try-ing to fill it."

The club holds some 400 people. Liquor and food are served; there is a stage and dance area as well as bars upstairs and down.

The club is used for more than oldies, however. Johnny Rivers has stopped in to play, as have top musi-cians such as Jim Gordon. Dean Parks and Tom Scott as well as comedian Redd Foxx.

Joni Mitchell, Harry Nilsson, Jim Capaldi, Rivers, George Harrison, Richard Perry, Karen Valentine, Patti Boyd and Mickey Dolenz have showed up as customers more than once.

"Nobody bothers them here," Laboe says. "Most of our customers don't know who they are and if they do they let them alone."

In addition, there is a weekly Songwriter's Showcase at the club to spotlight new talent (Thursdays), a good amount of record company parties from firms such as Elektra/Asylum and MGM, parties for movies such as "American Graffitti" and "Let the Goodtimes Roll" and radio station parties.

Laboe has also started a new record label, Now Records, to deal with the contemporary product. One result of this is Ron Holden's soul hit, "Can You Talk." It is Holden's first chart disk since 1960.

Original Sound still issues one LP a year, and starting this year the covers will all be double fold. Old covers will be redone and some cuts will be updated on the older product. The ma-terial is still aggressively merchandised through rackjobbers such as J.L. Marsh and Handleman and chains such as Sears and K-Mart. There is still N and radio advertising.

"K-Mart does an ideal job for us," Laboe says. "They don't place the product in the record department; they put it in the aisles in main sections of the store. We've found that it's not the kids, but the housewives with kids who buy our product. The 24 to 49 age bracket is the one that works best for us."

As for getting the product. Laboe says he still has a lot of masters and that others are no more difficult to purchase than they were 15 years ago. They are simply a bit more ex-pensive because their value is recognized more.

What about the old days? "I think everyone believes they were better and in a way. maybe they were," says Laboe. "I tend to think of carefree summers and more of fun atmosphere. Maybe this is just because this was a very happy time in my life. There were more clubs, people got out more and things just seemed healthier. I still have a lot of people from El Monte come in, and they feel they're seeing an old friend.

"But," he emphasizes, "you can't live in the past. This is why I keep the club going with oldies and contemporary things, market old and contemporary products and have just built a brand new studio. We're thinking of an indefinite run for the club, with all kinds of things going on."

For the moment, Art Laboe seems like someone with the best of both worlds.
A sign for Art Leboe's club appears very briefly at the start of this video called "1970s Sunset Blvd Drive, Hollywood, Old Los Angeles in HD from 35mm".

Video Link

I had planned to post a screengrab, but Photobucket is once again refusing to let me upload anything (it had been working again for nearly a week!).

ETA. After about 20 minutes of trying, I finally got the image to upload!

YouTube

Last edited by HossC; Jul 24, 2020 at 7:32 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 1:03 AM

Some more of Ciro's/8433 Sunset Blvd in the mid-1960's.

In 1965 as Frank Sennes' Ciro's Le Disc.

oldshowbiz.tumblr.com

The excitement generated by the Byrds residency there that year accelerated the boom in clubs along the Strip.

earlyhendrix.com

Unable to acquire a liquor licence the next move in 1966 was to become the 15+ hangout It's Boss.

gettyimages

In April and May of 1967 Ciro's hosted a few shows under the banner of The Kaleidoscope.

This venture was later located in the Earl Carroll Theatre for about six months in 1968.

hubpages.com

Spectrum 2000 had it's official opening on August 17th 1967.

gettyimages

Spectrum 2000 interior on opening night.

gettyimages

Poster for New Year's Eve's Mad Mod Party at Spectrum 2000 on December 31st 1967.

rocktourdatabase.com

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 1:39 AM

Well, Noir_Noir, you've beat me with a couple photos below...I've been working on this post all week! I didn't know it was going to get so involved!

Prologue:

Before I begin this post about what was at the Ciro's location after it closed, I want to correct a couple things. The wikipedia page on Ciro's says this: It was transformed into a rock and roll club in 1965 called Ciro's Le Disc and renamed The Kaleidoscope in 1967. In 1968, it became a Sunset Strip rock and roll club which was called "It's Boss". It became The Comedy Store in 1972.

1.) It was definitely Le Disc before 1965.
2.) The Kaleidoscope was a club at Frank Sennes' Moulin Rouge location. See a photo of it: HERE, from Hollywood Historic Photos. I don't know for sure if it opened in 1967, but they have the photo dated 1968.
3.) "It's Boss" was open as early as September 1965.

A post on Tumblr by Nina Berry says at one time Ciro's was a place called Crazy Horse, before It's Boss. The only Crazy Horse reference I can find along these lines is that Neil Young played with a band called Crazy Horse at the Roxy in 1973.

https://nina-berry.tumblr.com/post/4...-the-1940s-los

Ciro's: 1940-1957

After Ciro's closed, I was trying to figure out all the names it had until The Comedy Store opened.

There was an auction in 1958.

JHGraham

The dates/years of what came next vary by a year or two any place you look, and many places who post about these years say "at some point" or "after such and such" or are "conflicting" so I hesitate to put any specific dates, but I believe what follows is the correct order. But as I learned just yesterday, there could even be more.

Frank Sennes, who also operated the Moulin Rouge on Sunset Blvd., owned Ciro's for awhile. There's some writing that he called it The New Ciro's (I find no evidence of that in photos or ads.) He may have just used his name and the Ciro's name as in this photo. I can verify no information as yet as to what was going on at the location from 1960-64.

It's easier to verify the timeline of the Hotel, which, as HossC noted in a previous post, opened in...1963.

1963-1966: Gene Autry's Hotel Continental.

The photo below is dated 1964. I used this one to show the marquee of Ciro's which is at left below center.
There are no acts listed on the white square, but above it, it says Frank Sennes Ciro's. (On the front
marquee of the hotel facing Sunset Blvd., where it says Hotel Continental, the white strip you see off to
the left a little says "Gene Autry's"... I saw it up close in a photo facing the other direction. Click HERE to see it.)

Then at some point the place was called, Le Disc, but Frank Sennes name and Ciro's name remained so you're apt to find acts and ads referring to the place as Le Disc, Ciro's Le Disc or all three: Frank Sennes' Ciro's Le Disc.

Some ads and writers have spelled it Le Disque in reviews...and online posts spell it that way sometimes, I've noticed.

Early references say that The Byrds got their start at Le Disc, most say in 1964, but this L.A. Times article, HERE says it was 1965.

This photo shows the colorful marquee...and to the right the Hotel Continental sign.

OldShowBiz

The above is most likely dated 1964 as George & Teddy and the Condors released this Live album in 1964:

Discogs

Dick Dale & the Deltones also released a Live from Ciro's Album in 1965.

This particular ad in the Friday, March 12, 1965, edition of the Valley Times has all three names listed:
Frank Sennes Ciro's Le Disc:

Newspapers.com

(Jimi Hendrix may have played here with Little Richard. Jimi stated in the June 15, 1969, interview with Nancy Carter that he played Ciro's with Little Richard.) EarlyHendrix
_______

In the June 18, 1965 edition of the Los Angeles Free Press, there's a small ad that only says: AFRO-BLUES QUINTET, The Living Room, 8433 Sunset Strip. LINK

[The Living Room is noted in HossC's post of the names listed in the 1968 and 1969 CD's. Perhaps it's one of the performing "rooms" at this address.)
_______

By the end of 1965 the place was called "It's Boss," as verified by this review of Sonny & Cher playing there:

OldShowbiz/Tumblr

Here are some shots of the place with it's new moniker, IT'S BOSS:

(According to the lineup ad above on the right, The Regents were a house band that played every night. Also note the address has an extra "4" in it.)

OldShowbiz/Tumblr

OldShowbiz/Tumblr

GarageHangover

IF YOU CLICK ON EITHER OF THESE PHOTOS YOU'LL GET A LARGER SIZE.
MAYBE SOMEONE CAN DECIPHER SOME OF THE MARQUEE.

_______

(cont'd.)

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 1:40 AM

(cont'd from above)

_______

Hotel name change 1966-1976: Continental Hyatt House.

I had found a mention of Spectrum 2000, but E_R's photo post of it above has given me a great clue! That photo has a banner on it that says "Opening August 6th" (I believe it's a 6).

What I had found out about "Spectrum" was from this poster:

RockTourDatabase

It's for a New Year's Eve party that the link says was held December 31, 1966. So that leads me to believe Spectrum 2000 opened in August of 1966.
_______

It was probably, but not definitely, Art LaBoe's after that.

This photo is not dated, but has the Hyatt name and also the Ciro's location is now Art LaBoe's. Notice it uses the same large circle design on the front, and smaller ones on the side, as the "Spectrum" design.

Citizine

This photo is undated from the Ciro's Facebook page:
CLICK ON IT FOR A SUPERSIZED LOOK.

Facebook

_______

A bit of history before the next notation here: In 1968 the gay dance club The Patch in Wilmington, 610 W. Pacific Coast Highway, covered elsewhere on NLA, was raided by police and there were subsequent riots and demonstrations.

KoymaskyBlog

That link above states that the owner of this establishment, Lee Glaze, subsequently opened Hollywood's first gay dance bar, "Patch 2" at the former Ciro's location in 1968.

This is a 1969 advertisement in The Voice magazine:

Calisphere

A 1970 ad from The Voice that supposedly is connected with Patch II, but not enough info given for verification. IT'S -- interesting that maybe it's related to, or a riff on "It's Boss"?

Apparently the Patch II club had various entertainments including Mr. Valentine and Groovy Guy contests. Here's a 1969 photo from one of these nights:

It's noted that the person on the far left is Jim Bailey.

See other interior photos from here: Calisphere

One is dated 1971, so if the 1968 starting date is correct, these were onging for at least three years

_______

This is a snapshot from 1973. The marquee on the location does not look as though it says Art LaBoe's and all sources I've read, including their website, say that The Comedy Store opened there in 1972.

NickFaitos/Flicker

From The Comedy Store's website:

The Store was founded April 7, 1972, on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood by comedian Sammy Shore, his wife Mitzi and comedy writer Rudy DeLuca.

The Comedy Store would become entirely Mitzi’s to own and operate as the result of her divorce settlement with Sammy in 1974.

The Original Room, as the name suggests, was originally The Comedy Store’s single stage as the portion of the building which now houses the Main Room was rented to other establishments until Mitzi purchased the entire building on Sunset in July of 1976 and created the multi-stage venue which The Comedy Store is today.

So from 1972-76 part of this building was rented out "to other establishments".

On L.A. Curbed's "Mapping Radio Legend Art Laboe's Los Angeles Through the Years," their paragraph about 8433 Sunset Blvd. says: "Early in Art's L.A. career, he did a stint interviewing celebrities at this Sunset Strip restaurant. Later, in the 1970's, Laboe bought Ciro's (then an ailing special events venue) and turned it into the Art Laboe Club. Old photos make it look like he shared the building with a smaller version of the Comedy Store; the building is entirely the Comedy Store now."

Source: https://la.curbed.com/maps/mapping-r...ough-the-years

I do not find any source that LaBoe had purchased the Ciro's location. This source had a link to the website that it said "old photos make it look like he shared it with the comedy store", and two other sites I looked at have the website as a link but it is not working as of now.

Defunct link: http://artlaboe.com/Art_60s_-_70s.html#12

To make matters more confusing: In 1974, Liza Minnelli married Jack Haley, Jr. there and the place was redone to look like Ciro's of yesteryear.

I could find no photo's of the exterior that night. There's a couple interior ones from Getty.

This LINK has a description of the wedding which says it cost $75,000 to transoform it into Ciro's again, incluidng a new neon sign to cover "Art LaBoe's Club" sign. This indicates the Comedy Store and Art LaBoe's club were sharing the place in 1974. The info above says Mitzi Shore had the building all to herself in 1976 when she bought the whole place.

There's a photo from iCollector of souvenirs from the occasion:

iCollector
_______

This is a 1979 photo ABOVE and a 1991 photo BELOW of The Comedy Store.

It has retained much the same look as it did when it became Spectrum 2000 back in 1966.

Subsequent Hotel name changes...

1976-97: Hyatt on Sunset.
1997-2009: Hyatt West Hollywood.
2009: Andaz West Hollywood.

Well, I hope that wasn't all too confusing!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
Unable to acquire a liquor licence the next move in 1966 was to become the 15+ hangout It's Boss.

Quote:
In April and May of 1967 Ciro's hosted a few shows under the banner of The Kaleidoscope.

hubpages.com

Now this info I never found!

Quote:
Spectrum 2000 had it's official opening on August 17th 1967.

gettyimages

Poster for New Year's Eve's Mad Mod Party at Spectrum 2000 on December 31st 1967.

rocktourdatabase.com

So the info on the Rock Tour Database site says the New Year's Eve party was on December 31, 1966, so where did you get the info Spectrum officially opened on August 16, 1967?
(I subsequently looked at the Getty link, which says at the top that the opening was August 17, 1967, but in the information section it says July 17, 1967.)

I'm not saying you're wrong on any of this Noir_Noir, I've just spent a few days reading so many conflicting dates and such that I want to get my timeline post as accurate as possible...eventually.

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jul 25, 2020 at 2:08 AM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 3:37 AM

Here's another slide of LAFD Station #58.

This time showing the actual inspection lineup and a glimpse of the interior.

eBay

I still haven't figured out which of the firemen are the five firemen in the cigarette break photo (that I posted the day before yesterday)....I'm not good at that sort of thing.

Line - Up

Feb. 1956

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 4:15 AM

Quote:

By the end of 1965 the place was called "It's Boss," as verified by this review of Sonny & Cher playing there:

OldShowbiz/Tumblr
FWIW, Ian Whitcomb was an English musician who later became a radio personality. At one time he appeared on KROQ here in L.A. Coincidentally, his Wikipedia page notes that one of his songs appeared in the film Encino Man which starred Pauly Shore, son of Comedy Store owner Mitzi Shore.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 6:08 AM

Quote:

So the info on the Rock Tour Database site says the New Year's Eve party was on December 31, 1966, so where did you get the info Spectrum officially opened on August 16, 1967?
(I subsequently looked at the Getty link, which says at the top that the opening was August 17, 1967, but in the information section it says July 17, 1967.)

I'm not saying you're wrong on any of this Noir_Noir, I've just spent a few days reading so many conflicting dates and such that I want to get my timeline post as accurate as possible...eventually.

The banner in e_r's original Spectrum 2000 picture shows August 17th as the opening date. It also appears in the getty images picture.

I went with the banner on the club's wall - the getty images dating info is more often wrong than right.

The Mad Mod Party poster mentions KRLA dj Rhett Hamilton Walker. He joined the station in the Fall of 1967, ruling out a 1966 date for the poster.

Have you happened upon this version of the Ciro's timeline?

Google Books - The Comedians: Drunks, Thieves, Scoundrels, and the History of American Comedy

It throws some new names into the mix -

[1957] - Ciro's badly damaged in a fire.

Property foreclosed, sold at auction to a bank, handed over to Frank Sennes.

[???] - Reopened as The New Ciro's. Short-lived.

[1961] - Le Crazy Horse Dance Contests and European type showgirls. Short lived.

[???] - The Bed-Room Singers and hypnotists. Short-lived.

[1967] - Ciro's Booking black acts exclusively.

[1970] - Ciro's Jr. Operated by comedian Duke Mitchell.

Not sure how accurate it is but likely some leads to follow up.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 9:37 AM

Quote:

This is a snapshot from 1973. The marquee on the location does not look as though it says Art LaBoe's and all sources I've read, including their website, say that The Comedy Store opened there in 1972.

NickFaitos/Flicker
Art Laboe's sign was yellow, as shown in the image below, so it could be his sign in the photo above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Quote:

On L.A. Curbed's "Mapping Radio Legend Art Laboe's Los Angeles Through the Years," their paragraph about 8433 Sunset Blvd. says: "Early in Art's L.A. career, he did a stint interviewing celebrities at this Sunset Strip restaurant. Later, in the 1970's, Laboe bought Ciro's (then an ailing special events venue) and turned it into the Art Laboe Club. Old photos make it look like he shared the building with a smaller version of the Comedy Store; the building is entirely the Comedy Store now."

Source: https://la.curbed.com/maps/mapping-r...ough-the-years

I do not find any source that LaBoe had purchased the Ciro's location. This source had a link to the website that it said "old photos make it look like he shared it with the comedy store", and two other sites I looked at have the website as a link but it is not working as of now.
The 1974 article from Billboard that I posted above mentions Laboe's interviews there and a 1967 New Year's Eve party. Although it doesn't say that he owned the venue, he opened his club in June 1972, and opened an upstairs section in October 1972 which he was still using when the article was written in 1974. Here are a few paragraphs to save you scrolling up - the full excerpt is here.
"At one time Larry Finley and I had done an interview show in the lobby of Ciro's, a popular club on the strip. We talked to movie stars like Clark Gable, Tyrone Power, Gary Cooper and so on.

"Anyway, the club had run through a succession of failures and by 1967 was being used primarily for private parties. I went to a New Year's Eve party there that year and decided that I wanted to do something with the club. But I was busy with the label at the time and a group called Dyke & the Blazers, so I temporarily shelved the idea."

In June, 1972, however, Laboe opened Art Laboe's Club. It was launched as an oldies club, open 8:30 p.m. to 2 a.m. weekends, featuring as many as eight acts a night and including a $3.50 admission price with no requirement to buy food or drink once inside.

In October, 1972, an upstairs section of the club opened and ever since, Laboe has been broadcasting from 11 p.m. to 1 a.m. weekends over KRTH-FM, an oldies station. He takes dedications just as he did in the old days.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 6:15 PM

VIEWER ALERT....................

Tonight (7-25-20) Jacques Demy's Model Shop [1969] is showing on TCM at 11:45 E / 10:45 C / 9:45 M / 8:45 P.

There are fantastic views of Los Angeles throughout this film. (1969/69)

TCM

Gary Lockweed . Lockwood spends an inordinate amount of time driving through the streets of L. A. in his foreign-made green convertable.

tcm

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 25, 2020 at 6:51 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 8:11 PM

Love that movie for various reasons, not necessarily the entire plotting of it. I read recently, don't know if I mentioned it here, that the director wanted to cast Harrison Ford in the role. But Paramount wanted a name and Gary Lockwood was a bigger name at the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Art Laboe's sign was yellow, as shown in the image below, so it could be his sign in the photo above.

Hi, HossC, I know the snapshot photo is blurry, but it looked to me like black writing on top and bottom and red in the middle, so I thought it might not be. But it might be.

Quote:
Have you happened upon this version of the Ciro's timeline?
It throws some new names into the mix -

Yay, that's what we need, more names!

I wish these notations were sourced. There are so many things not sourced. That New Year's party, for example, is listed as 1966 in at least 5 places, including the Iron Butterfly website of appearances and the Rock Tour Database, so mis-information gets spread around. Also, there were different rooms with different names, so it get's called different things. However, when I have time I'll keep making notes.

Today I'm going to watch MLB games!

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 9:26 PM

Re: A mystery photograph that we were never able to solve.

From three years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
'mystery' location

Robert Frank, Los Angeles 1956

http://the-crows-nest.tumblr.com/pos...e-is-one-thing

Does anyone know where this large arrow was located?...(I'm thinking perhaps Chinatown?

And if you look closely (below) the arrow appears to be neon.

detail

. . .and the man appears to be missing his head.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Folks, I just found a contact sheet for Robert Frank's The Americans, 1955-1956. [see below]

eBay

Along the top of the contract sheet there are several images of this same arrow. . .

. .but, unlike the mystery photo, we can see over the roof (& beyond) the warehouse-like building.

detail

Although it's blurry, here's a super-sized enlargement.

detail

Does anyone recognize the area in the distance?

I sure hope so.

LINK

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Jul 25, 2020 at 11:06 PM.

Old Posted Jul 25, 2020, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
[
Although it's blurry, here's a super-sized enlargement.

detail

Does anyone recognize the area in the distance?

I sure hope so.

LINK
Wow! I'd seen that Frank photo a long time ago and never realized it was Bunker Hill. How cool, neon on the Hill! So yeah, this is looking down from Hope St above the Third St tunnel, that building with the arrow is a garage at the NW corner of Third and Hope. From the Nadel shots at the Getty:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos