HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Maybe he thought that, if you pushed the "reverse" button on the pick, it would rebuild the place.

Edit add: More seriously, sometimes when something dear to one is to be destroyed, no choice, it makes one feel better to have a hand in it one's self, even in a "ceremonial" way, and so gain a feeling of control; otherwise, one feels victimized and weak.

This episode of Armchair Psychology On the Air brought to you by Acme Rubber Wall Company. Remember our motto: "We put the bounce into Life!"
Acme Rubber Wall Co...snort! For that odinthor, you get a pic of some palm trees(in front of a LA landmark):
_3170044.jpg by BillinGlendaleCA, on Flickr

ETA: That was taken last night, Union Station(and the Wilshire Grand, the US Bank tower, City Hall) was lit in green for St. Patrick's Day.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 11:28 AM

Many thanks, BillinGlendaleCA!

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 1:03 PM

ER from your earlier post, I really like the way sister Eva was dressed.
Looking closer at the image, she looks a little like Scarlett Johansson.

Later looking at the Valentino Memorial, I was left wondering if it was used to design "The Perfect Being" from the movie "The Fifth Element".

Tom Lyle Williams on the left, followed by his sister Mabel, her husband Chet Hewes, and his sister Eva and her husband Ches Haines. Notice the statue, Aspiration in the background.
(the statue is over Chet's left shoulder)

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 4:23 PM

LADBS

Here is the story that accompanied the two September 7, 1951, Los Angeles Times photos above, although the
part about 6787 being built by a "wealthy woman from the Middle West" doesn't match the building permit:

I find Edwin Anderson (born Ohio 1880) in the 1930 Census living with his wife Ruth and a servant at 6787 Whitley Terrace. The home value in 1930 was $30,000. The census shows him to be a sureties salesman. (this was in the depression)

Another interesting point is that he also owned 2135 Whitley as listed in the 1930 Census. This house is still there. It was built in 1924. it is currently listed as being multi-family by the county assessor.

This fellow seems to have been doing OK in the depression. And then vanishes into thin air afterwards...

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Maybe he thought that, if you pushed the "reverse" button on the pick, it would rebuild the place.

Edit add: More seriously, sometimes when something dear to one is to be destroyed, no choice, it makes one feel better to have a hand in it one's self, even in a "ceremonial" way, and so gain a feeling of control; otherwise, one feels victimized and weak.
Reminds me of this: There's a scene in the film Bonnie & Clyde where a man is standing in front of a small vacant house. He and his family have been forced out of it during the depression by a bank. Clyde gives the man a gun to shoot at the bank sign and to shoot the windows out.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:01 PM

'mystery' parking lot.

I happened upon this faded slide earlier today on ebay.

"1950 los angeles classic cars vintage original 35mm slide Ca7"

EBAY

I know we have seen similar slides (hopefully not this particular one) I try not to repeat myself.

I believe there's a trolley car going by at far left....but I'm still not quite sure which parking lot this is exactly. (there are so many)
__

If anyone wants to adjust the color on this thing feel free. I tried and it didn't turn out very well.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
'mystery' parking lot.

I happened upon this faded slide earlier today on ebay.

"1950 los angeles classic cars vintage original 35mm slide Ca7"

EBAY

I know we have seen similar slides (hopefully not this particular one) I try not to repeat myself.

I believe there's a trolley car going by at far left....but I'm still not quite sure which parking lot this is exactly. (there are so many)
__

If anyone wants to adjust the color on this thing feel free. I tried and it didn't turn out very well.
I gave it a try:

Aren't we maybe at the lot on Arcadia St. about halfway between Alameda and Los Angeles Sts., with Google and the slide photographer using different lenses?

gsv

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 6:47 PM

Before we get too far away from the subject of Tom Lyle and the Villa Valentino.

Here's another Maybelline family snapshot. (it's from a farther distance than the previous one I posted. This one.

Maybelline Blog

THE CARS

Tom Lyle's car's include..... a 1916 Paige Detroit roadster
..... a 1926 Kissel Gold Bug Speedster..... a 1934 Packard Individual Custom Dietrich V-windshield V-12 Sport Sedan
..... a 1939 Packard Super 8 Convertible coupe..... and the 1940 Packard Bohman & Schwartz Convertible Victoria.

The Maybelline blog may include photos of each of these, but it's quite confusing to find the pics. (my eyes are crossed at this point)

Here are two of the cars.

maybelline

Tom Lyle Williams and Emery Shaver, standing in front of the 1934 Packard Victoria, parked in front of the Villa Valentino.

Tom Lyle with his 1940 Packard Convertible in front of Villa Valentino.

Maybelline Blog

We saw the 1940 Packard earlier HERE. (I didn't realize it was the same car)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 19, 2018 at 10:26 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 9:34 PM

Quote:

We saw the 1940 Packard earlier HERE. (I didn't realize it was the same car)
The picture you linked to is the one below, e_r. It's not the same car - the one below is a 1940 Buick convertible.

Quote:

NEW PIC FROM MAYBELLINE BLOG

MAYBELLINE BLOG

"Tom Lyle, Arnold and Emery with two of Tom Lyle's neices in front of Villa Valentine."

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 10:15 PM

Thanks Hoss. I thought it was the angle of the photograph. (that made it look less impressive)

While looking for another photograph of the Buick I found another photograph of the Packard.
This is the Packard, right?

NEW PIC
MAYBELLINE

Tom Lyle needs to have that leak checked...............................................

UPDATE: It is the Packard.

below: by Steve Synder at Bohman & Schwartz coachbuilders. (I believe the Bohman & Schwartz company has Pasadena origins) [I HAVEN'T HAD TIME TO RESEARCH IT

"The Packard is a one-off custom-bodied convertible victoria with a number of visual cues that make it unique and easily recognizable. (says who? )
With the combination of its 148-inch wheelbase,spectacular V-shaped windshield, horse-head hood ornament, fared-in Lincoln headlight doors and Cadillac parking lights."

"The photo, which I had never seen before, clearly showed our car. I was astonished. What caught me by surprise was that West included solid evidence
about the identify of the original owner,Tom Lyle Williams, founder of Maybelline mascara company. Up until that time, information that we had was limited at best,
and, as it turns out, needed to be corrected."

Bohman & Schwartz photograph of the Packard in the 1950s.

Bohman & Schwartz
___

UPDATE #2

The hood ornament in the Tom Lyle photograph. [top of post]

"One thing that captures your attention on Williams’ Packard, besides the extra long hood, is the hood ornament. It’s a horse’s head!
While the real reason for the steed mascot may never be knownfor sure, it’s thought that it was because Maybelline was ahead of the pack,
as far as competition was concerned, and the Packard out-horsepowered any other car on the road in 1940
."

How is this a horse's head? It looks like an alligator to me.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 19, 2018 at 11:23 PM.

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 11:08 PM

Here's the 1940 Packard Victoria a few years ago.

Tom Lyle's Packard Victoria, built by Bohman & Schwartz, is now part of Bill Snyder's collection, in Southern California.

www.maybellinebook.com

I found this close-up of the horse's head (there's more info at the link below).

en.paperblog.com

And one of the other cars that e_r mentioned, the 1926 Kissel.

Here is a picture of Tom Lyle's sister, Mabel Williams.....Maybelline's namesake.....with her new husband, Chet Hewes, on their wedding day, in 1926. The Newlywed's are posing next to Tom Lyle's new yellow 1926 Kissel. I believe TL eventually, gave this car to his partner Emery Shaver, who in turn, gave it to Tom Lyle Jr. in 1932, when TL Jr, was a student and captain of the football team, at Duke University.

www.maybellinebook.com

Old Posted Mar 19, 2018, 11:09 PM

So cool! Thanks again Hoss.

So obviously..the Packard was repainted (from its original cream color)

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 2:07 AM

I remember creating this before/after post a long time ago, but, as far as I can tell, I never got around to posting it.

old file / found on ebay

AND TODAY

GSV

This is a fine looking mid-century building but it's all but surrounded by a tent city.

It's located behind the old El Rey Hotel. (seen numerous times on nla)

google_earth

This one.

I was hoping this view from the old El Rey was looking northeast toward the Tri-State Corp. building

G. DeVerteuil dornsife

but it's looking southwest.

(I like the pic. so I posted it anyway)
__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 20, 2018 at 2:20 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 5:25 AM

Quote:
I remember creating this before/after post a long time ago, but, as far as I can tell, I never got around to posting it.

old file / found on ebay

This one.

__
Down the street a few blocks, a bustling market scene on San Pedro St and 9th in 1898.

This is apparently the area where the City Market South project is ongoing (?).....from their website:
The City Market South site was part of the oldest produce market in Los Angeles, and has been owned and operated by The City Market of Los Angeles since 1909. In 2013, downtown developer LENA Group conceptualized the vision for City Market South as a destination for dining, entertainment and creative businesses, and teamed with the long-time property owner to realize the project’s vision.

Some faces in the crowd:

Cal State Lilbrary

Thanks again, Beaudry, for mentioning the update to the CSL site. I've been soaking in it!

Last edited by ScottyB; Mar 20, 2018 at 5:56 AM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 1:57 PM
BANNED

Quote:

AND TODAY

GSV

This is a fine looking mid-century building but it's all but surrounded by a tent city.

__
The Gov. of CA and the Mayor of LA love the idea of people living on the streets. They plan to turn downtown LA parking lots and city parks into outdoor homes for these homeless people and they are welcoming thousands more to come to Los Angeles...its a ''sanctuary" city. They are hoping that soon there will be 100,000+ people living on the streets of LA. This is their plan.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Mar 20, 2018 at 2:07 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
The Gov. of CA and the Mayor of LA love the idea of people living on the streets. They plan to turn downtown LA parking lots and city parks into outdoor homes for these homeless people and they are welcoming thousands more to come to Los Angeles...its a ''sanctuary" city. They are hoping that soon there will be 100,000+ people living on the streets of LA. This is their plan.

I have been following news regarding the plan to place five trailers for 60 people on a parking lot at Alameda and Arcadia, approved by the city council last month. Two years ago, voters approved something like $1.2 billion in funding for permanent housing for the currently homeless. I'd be curious to know where I might read about Brown and Garcetti's actually "loving" the idea of people living on the streets and "hoping that soon there will be 100,000+ people living on the streets of LA." Loving? Hoping?

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 5:34 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
I have been following news regarding the plan to place five trailers for 60 people on a parking lot at Alameda and Arcadia, approved by the city council last month. Two years ago, voters approved something like $1.2 billion in funding for permanent housing for the currently homeless. I'd be curious to know where I might read about Brown and Garcetti's actually "loving" the idea of people living on the streets and "hoping that soon there will be 100,000+ people living on the streets of LA." Loving? Hoping?
Thanks GW for your reply. The facts speak for themselves. LA is now a paradisaical magnet for the itinerant.
The measures taken by State and local government will transform the inner city of Los Angeles into a snug and protected place for the down-and-out. Time will tell how this will change the appearance of LA. Is this a new tourist attraction?

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Mar 22, 2018 at 2:02 PM.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 7:29 PM

Again, I'd be curious to know where I might read about Brown and Garcetti's actually "loving" the idea of people living on the streets and "hoping that soon there will be 100,000+ people living on the streets of LA."

Old Posted Mar 20, 2018, 9:01 PM
BANNED

Error post....sorry

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Mar 29, 2018 at 8:09 PM.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2018, 2:03 AM

re: City Market South
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottyB View Post
What do you think is this the wagon? Walnuts?

_

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos