HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 10:56 PM

Your post just taught me something, HossC.

After reading ER's post, I too tried to look back in time in Google Street View, but the interface was missing the popup to view street view versions from the past:

... and yet, you were able to find a version of the scene from 2011. So there had to be a way to get to the past versions.

Eventually, I figured it out: If you search for "Calgrove Kennels" on Google Maps then you DON'T get the option to go back in time.

But if you search for the ADDRESS, in other words "24314 The Old Road", then you DO get the option to go back in time:

Both searches will take you to the exact same location... but only the address search will allow you to view past versions.

Strange, but true. Anyway, something to keep in mind when doing Google Street View searches.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

You mean these things?

Yup. And those are particularly protruding!

~ Charles Bukowski

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 11:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles View Post

Eventually, I figured it out: If you search for "Calgrove Kennels" on Google Maps you DON'T get the option to go back in time.

But if you search for the ADDRESS, in other words "24314 The Old Road", then you DO get the option to go back in time.

Strange, but true. Anyway, something to keep in mind when doing Google Street View searches.
I actually searched by the address, but still didn't get the historic views, so I moved the Googlemobile over to the other side of the road and got the 2011 option. I then crossed back across the street in 2011 to get a closer view.

Sometimes the older views only show themselves if you move the view point - don't ask me why.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
I actually searched by the address, but still didn't get the historic views, so I moved the Googlemobile over to the other side of the road and got the 2011 option. I then crossed back across the street in 2011 to get a closer view.

Sometimes the older views only show themselves if you move the view point - don't ask me why.
The thing is, we kind of get spoiled by how well Google Maps works MOST of the time, it's easy to forget that it doesn't work every time. You're right, sometimes you'll only have two historic views, but if you move just a few feet down the street, suddenly you have 10 historic views!

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor
I suspect that the chapel they erected was some sort of temporary ramada (framework of lopped-off tree limbs covered over with brush or palm leaves),
a sort of erection, er, construction frequently made use of in those days by the mission fathers. Fr. Zephyrin Engelhardt, very thorough historian of the missions
and missionaries of Alta and Baja California, calls it a “bower”.
Thanks for the clarification odinthor. You can probably guess how I was picturing the chapel.

This one is a few miles from my house GSV

Did you know there's even a song, 'Oak of the Golden Dream'. (they pretty much fit every detail of the story into the song) And it's GOOD!

Video Link

Made me feel westerny.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 16, 2018 at 10:04 PM.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2018, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
The "art deco-like columns" were still there in 2011. The "Boneyard Express" and dinosaurs can also be seen through the fence if you turn to the left.

GSV
THANKS so much Hoss. The columns are quite impressive (especially for a kennel )

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC
I actually searched by the address, but still didn't get the historic views,
so I moved the Googlemobile over to the other side of the road and got the 2011 option.
I then crossed back across the street in 2011 to get a closer view.
OOOOOOOOOOOH, so that's how do did it. I tried past views but wasn't able to make it work.

I'm guessing the deco columns are from a more recent movie, and not from a movie from the actual art deco period (late 20s thru the 30s)

A pre-digital movie perhaps....like Dick Tracy [1990] or...(I can't think of any others off the top of my head)

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 16, 2018 at 1:16 AM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles
I doubt I'll ever find out anything about the ship movie, ER. First of all, 90% of all silent movies have been completely lost or destroyed.
Second, even films that I can prove exist (because I have on-set photos with the movie's name on a clapboard) have no public record of existing.
But you never know Scott.

For example: A few days ago I came across these two amateur snapshots.

The photographs were taken by a tourist visiting Universal Studios.

"CALIFORNIA UNIVERSAL STUDIOS- THE HONEYMOONERS - original Snapshot Photo 1917"

EBAY

I believe the photographs were taken from bleachers specifically set up for visitors.

EBAY

As you can see from the edges, the photographs were found in a personal photo album.

Luckily, this information was written on the back of ea. photo.

I don't know whether or not 'The Honeymooners' is a lost film, but if it is lost, these two simple snapshots would be invaluable.

Here's a closer look at the actors.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 16, 2018 at 4:38 AM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 1:21 AM
BANNED

Not to sharpen the pen too tight but I question the ''date'' of the writing on the back of the photo. Is it contemporary with 1917.?

This was a short 10 minute comedy film. Staring ...
Stars: Patricia Palmer, Harry Ham, Ethel Lynne

The director was Al Christie

Owned by the Christie Film Company...but was it filmed on the Universal lot.[?] Not much information listed in IMDb.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Mar 29, 2018 at 8:15 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 5:37 AM

Interesting, ER!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
Not to sharpen the pen too tight but I question the ''date'' of the writing on the back of the photo. Is it contemporary with 1917.?

This was a short 10 minute comedy film. Staring ...
Stars: Patricia Palmer, Harry Ham, Ethel Lynne

The director was Al Christie

Owned by the Christie Film Company...but was it filmed on the Universal lot.[?] Not much information listed in IMDb.
Wikipedia says that Christie left Universal in January, 1916, and that "for the first six months of operations, the new Christie Film Company made comedies under a contract with Universal Film" - which means that Christie stopped working with Universal in July, 1916.

Of course, the caption on the back of the photo could be incorrect.

As to the writing itself, does it look to you guys like writing made by a dip (or nib) pen? It certainly doesn't resemble most of the writing we usually see that's been made by a dip pen, it kind of looks like writing made with a ballpoint pen - and the first commercially successful ballpoint pen was mass marketed in the States on October 29th, 1945. Or perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me because we're used to seeing handwriting in cursive form, not manuscript style (aka, block letters)?

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 8:27 AM

Whitley Heights before the Hollywood Freeway

I'd guess that this undated photo was taken c. 1935. It may have been taken from the High Tower Drive elevator or a
nearby hill just south of the Hollywood Bowl. Below the blue dot is the First Presbyterian Church of Hollywood at Gower
and Carlos, and below the red dot are the Hollywood Tower Apartments at Franklin and Vista Del Mar (the Hollywood
Freeway now runs between them). Above the green dot is Whitley Terrace; Wedgewood Place and Milner Road end at
Whitley Terrace on the left and right of the green dot, respectively. We're looking east:

Islandora/UCLA

Looking just a bit closer, the Hollywood Tower Apts. and the church are in the upper right corner. Marked by dots are . . .
Red = 6817 Whitley Terrace
Orange = 2133 Fairfield Ave
Blue = 2074 Watsonia Terrace
Yellow = 2062 Watsonia Terrace

Here is a contemporary view of the foreground from the above, with the same four houses marked with the same
colored dots. A fifth home, 6737 Whitley Terrace (building permit dated Aug 4, 1997), is marked by a purple dot.
There is a green box in the freeway that says 9B. Directly below it and next to the freeway is a house with a white
roof, 6758 Wedgewood Place:

Google

Here is Rudolph Valentino's home at 6776 Wedgewood Place (to the right/south of 6758), lost to the freeway:

Silentsaregolden

Zooming in a bit more on the original photo (with 2133 Fairfield and its orange dot at bottom center), in the red box I
think we see the side and chimney of Valentino's 6776 Wedgewood. The house behind it in the green box is visible in
the postcard view of 6776 above, just below the words Hollywood, Los Angeles:

Here's another shot of Valentino's 6776 Wedgewood Place, this time with Valentino, his 1923 Voisin, and two dogs:

Myloveofoldhollywood

This is Valentino in his 1923 Voisin, in front of a garage numbered 6737. Given how close 6776 Wedgewood Place and
6737 Whitley Terrace were to each other, this photo might have been taken at 6737 Whitley Terrace, but it's totally a
guess (we can't see the garage in the vintage photo). The garage there now is new but bears a strong resemblance
to what we see here:

FW photo

I know the car is a 1923 Voisin because I saw this sign:

FW Photo

And here is Valentino's 1923 Voisin, which snaked through the streets of Whitley Heights:

FW photo

The last three photos were taken at the Nethercutt Museum in Sylmar CA.

Last edited by Flyingwedge; Mar 4, 2019 at 7:10 AM. Reason: reduce photo sizes to no larger than 1024 x 768 due to Photobucket's new rules against photos larger than that

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 1:03 PM
BANNED

That Viosin costs $14K in 1923. In 2018 that amounts about $200.000 dollars....USD.

The Voisin antique cars go for prices in the one and two million dollar range.[2018].

Rudy always liked to invite his youthful Mexican gardeners to his Sunday house parties. The elite of Hollywood were rather taken aback by his choice of guests. Make of that what you will.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Mar 29, 2018 at 8:16 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 1:13 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Interesting, ER!

Wikipedia says that Christie left Universal in January, 1916, and that "for the first six months of operations, the new Christie Film Company made comedies under a contract with Universal Film" - which means that Christie stopped working with Universal in July, 1916.

Of course, the caption on the back of the photo could be incorrect.

As to the writing itself, does it look to you guys like writing made by a dip (or nib) pen? It certainly doesn't resemble most of the writing we usually see that's been made by a dip pen, it kind of looks like writing made with a ballpoint pen - and the first commercially successful ballpoint pen was mass marketed in the States on October 29th, 1945. Or perhaps my eyes are playing tricks on me because we're used to seeing handwriting in cursive form, not manuscript style (aka, block letters)?
A great comment Scott. On closer inspection today, the writing ''style'' does indeed look like it was written in the 1920s. Plus it also could be written with a dip pen or a ''fountain'' pen.. [I remember those bottles of ink. We used to dip our fountain pens in those and suck up the ink into the Parker pens. Lordy and good grief....]

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 1:27 PM

Quote:
Interesting, ER!

[snip]

I used to collect fountain pens, and it looks to me like the writing of a broad, so-called "calligraphy" nib on a fountain pen. I say this because of the horizontal lines are thinner than vertical ones, and there is no interrupted/overlayed letter which often occurs when a dip pen runs out of ink in the middle of letter. There were plenty of fountain pens around in 1916, so the evidence is inconclusive.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 1:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
A great comment Scott. On closer inspection today, the writing ''style'' does indeed look like it was written in the 1920s. Plus it also could be written with a dip pen or a ''fountain'' pen.. [I remember those bottles of ink. We used to dip our fountain pens in those and suck up the ink into the Parker pens. Lordy and good grief....]
Thanks, CityBoy Doug!

I think you're correct. The text does have that variable-width-line that you only really get with a fountain pen...

By the way, "fountain pen"! That is EXACTLY the word I was trying to remember while writing my post, but for the life of me I couldn't remember it. I must be losing my mind!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 6:13 PM

In your original post about the Calgrove Kennels, E_R, you posted a photo with the Hamburglar Mayor McCheese Officer Big Mac very prominently shown. In the distant background facing away from the camera was what looked liked Bugs Bunny with his back to us riding upon a horse. I looked for a better photo of that and found this, and the article states Bugs Bunny was not the original rider of the horse, it was a troll:

The article you first linked with your photos about Calgrove Kennels closing, doesn't mention this at all, but they do talk about the owner, Mike Lovingood. The article that I located states that Mike got most of his items from Six Flags Magic Mountain and that he used to work there, but kept on good terms with the place after he left. Here's a link to that article, with lots of photos and where the things came from at Six Flags.

http://www.thecoasterguy.com/2012/03...ountains-past/

There isn't any mention of those art deco columns, though.

Quote:
This is no USS Enterprise (that photograph was great! Bristolian), but, whatever it is, it somehow found it's way up to Calgrove Kennels in Newhall.
(the place I spoke about last night...with the 'motley' collection of studio prop & what-not)

Delenakatherine / flickr

Any sci-fi buffs recognize this thing?

Come to think of it...it kind of reminds me of some of the vehicles that sat outside of a place on Cahuenga Blvd West in the 1980's.
(I forget the name of the business)

The place you're thinking of, E_R, is Dean Jeffries Automotive Styling:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post

Hey, hey...

Not too far from Monkey Island's location at 3300 Cahuenga was Dean Jeffries Automotive Styling at 3077 Cahuenga. Most likely this is the first photograph of the Monkee-mobile taken in June 1966 after it had been completed.

HossC posted a large close-up color photo of the above pic, along with a current GSV photo of the location, here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=23374

And Wig-Wag comments on one of the vehicles you remember seeing there sitting outside the place, E_R:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=23380

(I remember those, too.)

And a couple other references:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=23373
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=23382

Last edited by Martin Pal; Mar 17, 2018 at 5:19 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 6:45 PM

Quote:
Calgrove Kennels, Newhall CA

KIMBERLEY RENEE / FLICKR

"These two....[ I only see one ] art deco-like columns are props from a movie set
and flank the entrance to Calgrove Kennels. You can view them as you drive the 5 Freeway in Newhall, CA."

Needless to say I found this quite intriguing.

I drove the google-mobile out to the location but wasn't able to find these 'art deco' columns at the entrance.

GSV VIEW

GSV.

To the right of the gate there appears to be some kind of stone marker (or a fancy shmancy mailbox)....and on the left, what looks like.. a FOR SALE SIGN.

the GSV view above is from 'THE OLD ROAD' that runs parallel to the 5 Freeway

google_earth

Then I came across this headline:

After more than 40 years of service, Newhall's Calgrove Kennels is closing. DAILY NEWS

So now I am afraid the art deco 'mystery' props might have been sold off.

The DAILY NEWS article mentions the kennel property was full of "A motley collection of Hollywood props and amusement park cast-offs."

FLICKR

I think the missing columns were far and away the most tasteful items in the collection. (unless you have a thing for the HAMBURGLER )

Does anyone who visits NLA know about this strange place?

I'd really like to know where the two deco columns ended up.
__
I believe the round playground structure is in fact Mayor McCheese!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 7:49 PM

Quote:
Thanks for the clarification odinthor. You can probably guess how I was picturing the chapel.

This one is a few miles from my house GSV

Did you know there's even a song, 'Oak of the Golden Dream'. (they pretty much fit every detail of the story into the song) And it's GOOD!

Video Link

Made me feel westernly.

__
Thanks for that, e_r--pretty tune, good presentation.

Or, 'scuse me, I should say, Dang! Real purdy ditty, pardner!

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 8:51 PM

Quote:

FLICKR

I think the missing columns were far and away the most tasteful items in the collection. (unless you have a thing for the HAMBURGLER )
Quote:
Originally Posted by FASTER345 View Post

I believe the round playground structure is in fact Mayor McCheese!
Mayor McCheese had a purple and yellow/gold hat. This is Officer Big Mac (despite the site where I found this image misnaming the file).

empressmess.wordpress.com

Thanks for the Mike Lovingood/Calgrove Kennels link, Martin Pal.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 9:45 PM

There was a Mayor McCheese and an Officer Big Mack!?!

I thought it was just the Hamburgler, not a Mcmunicipality.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Mar 16, 2018 at 9:59 PM.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2018, 10:35 PM

re: fountain pen debate

CityBoyDoug, Scott Charles and Earl Boebert:

Here is another photograph with the same style of writing on the back.

EBAY

but this one appears to have been written with a slightly different pen or thinner stylus. (perhaps by a different person )

for comparison:

note: The ebay seller might have use the Busch Gardens photograph to date 'The Honeymooners' photograph [which is missing the date.

__

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos