HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 1:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Santa Monica Pier's Looff Hippodrome Turns 100 This Year
A big celebration is planned for the venerable carousel house.
It opened on June 12, 1916.

From the linked article: Celebrations will include 5 cent rides on the historic carousel, tours of the second-floor apartments
that once offered residents some of the most unique views in all of Los Angeles and "potato chip sundaes," a tribute to what
would have been one of the most popular snacks served at the pier at the time of its opening.

The celebration will begin at 11 a.m., when (as the press release promises) "the doors will be swung open with the same
vigor as when Charles Looff first did the honors back in 1916." Take that, ferris wheel.

Note: The Ferris Wheel comment refers to the fact it will be down for a month for a lighting upgrade.

Two articles:

http://la.curbed.com/santa-monica-pier

https://www.kcet.org/carousel-and-the-era-of-seaside-amusement

1930's view: LAPL

Santa Monica Pier, 1935
http://exhibits.sos.ca.gov/files/ori...2eddd70bd7.jpg

And . . . up the road a piece was Thelma Todd's place. (JOYAS?)

http://exhibits.sos.ca.gov/files/ori...f83a9e1fa9.jpg

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-aMXCHJSHqx...s1600/Todd.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
While working on the above post I came across a photograph that I hadn't seen before. It shows a lovely Thelma Todd standing in the doorway
of her ill-fated restaurant.

ebay

One last look at the 'death' garage when it was under construction in 1927. (that's Roland West's mansion above it)

old file/ucla if i remember correctly
__

Last edited by Tourmaline; Jan 18, 2018 at 2:05 PM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 2:39 PM

Quote:
One of the most extraordinary sets ever built in Hollywood.
D.W. Griffith's vision of Babylon for his epic Intolerance 1916.

D.W. Griffith

Below: The crumbling Babylon set from D.W. Griffith's Intolerance at Hollywood Blvd. and Sunset Blvd in 1918.
More specifically, this photo is the southwest corner of Prospect Ave. & Talmadge St.

unknown

Above: The set stood derelict for nearly four years until it was finally destroyed by order of the Los Angeles Fire Department in 1919.

Below: 94 years later, this photo shows that two of the houses still survive at the southwest corner of Prospect Ave. & Talmadge St.

Craigzone

Intolerance set, circa 1916
http://exhibits.sos.ca.gov/files/ori...7b388e91fb.jpg

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 3:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krell58 View Post
Yes, I, believe so.
Maybe they were more reflective at night and it was a safety issue

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 4:15 PM

Quote:
Yes. I was shocked!

After I finished my post I started finding all these weird connections to Segno.

chasing down emma

"A. Victor Segno does indeed appears "from nowhere" in Los Angeles in April of 1899, conducting lectures
on his species of "scientific palmistry" and hypnotism, as of the Segno School of Palmistry, at 445 1/2 S. Spring Street,
where he also does readings. He is referred to, at the time, as Prof. Albert Segno, more often than not." ehbritton

Segno appeared, with his stereopiton slides, at the Masonic Hall 431 S. Hill.

1899?

chasing down emma

..but this was Segno's cash cow.

ehbritton

..with money flowing in from the Segno Success Club, Segno funded his elaborate home and Institute of Mentalism
office on the 700 block of Belmont Avenue. -as FW showed us in the previous post.

3rd paragraph down

ehbritton

Alas, Segno's Success Club ended up here...

extra special thanks to ehbritton

_
Victor Segno and his wife A. Belle appear in the 1910 Census, living at 701 Belmont. This property is currently part of several lots that were turned into condos along the western ridge overlooking Echo Park Lake. It is just next to the staircase that goes up from Glendale Blvd to the top of the bluff. The 1910 census lists his occupation as an author of "scientific works". His wife was listed as a "private Secretary" He was first married to an Evelyn In Canada and they divorced around 1990. He then apparently moved here from Canada, and he took up with wife number 2, A. Belle, (her name was Annie Dell) . He was Canadian and Belle was listed as being from Maine. according to the only census where he can be located. He was born in Canada in 1871. They were apparently divorced by 1920 as she appears in the census for that year, listed as divorced, and going by her first name Annie. She is listed as the manager of a mail order house. He cannot be located after that, but probably just changed his name again and moved on.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
They burned the derelict set to make the "burning of Atlanta" scenes in "Gone with the Wind".

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 7:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jg6544 View Post
They burned the derelict set to make the "burning of Atlanta" scenes in "Gone with the Wind".
I was just reading about the making of the film, "King Kong" (1933) when I saw this post. Don't claim to be an expert, but I read the following: The set burned in "Gone With the Wind" was the island great wall in "King Kong" (1933), which was modified from the original set of "King of Kings" (1927). Apparently, some other well known sets were set ablaze as well. Perhaps one of those could have been the "Intolerance" (1916) set?

" The great wall in the island scenes was a hand-me-down from DeMille's The King of Kings (1927) and dressed up with massive gates, a gong, and primitive carvings." Scource: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/King_Kong_(1933_film)
Andys

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 7:29 PM

While there are various movie sets cited as those burned for GWTW, I'm pretty sure that the one for Intolerance was destroyed way before 1938-9...and was miles from MGM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 7:44 PM

That post says: "The [Intolerance] set stood derelict for nearly four years until it was finally destroyed in 1919 by order of the Los Angeles Fire Department."

GWTW was first published in 1936, I believe.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 7:45 PM

Gone With The Wind - Burning of Atlanta set

retroweb

People have devoted their whole careers to GWTW. They've done the reseach.

Today, the Pathe Studio Ranch, Culver City is called "The Hayden Tract":

google maps

Last edited by tovangar2; Jan 18, 2018 at 9:09 PM. Reason: add aerials

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 9:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post
Definitely not the Ambassador Hotel if the 1910 date is correct. I did a quick search and found this article which appeared in the 19 February, 1910 edition of the Los Angeles Herald. NB. I've rearranged the layout to make it more screen-friendly.

California Digital Newspaper Collection

Here's a postcard showing some seating set up on the right.

Hotel Virginia, Long Beach, California Postcard. ca. 1915-1930.

www.gettyimages.com

This photograph shows the detail of the building a little better.

Hotel Virginia in Long Beach, California, 1905.

www.vintag.es

Hotel Virginia, Long Beach circa 1915
http://exhibits.sos.ca.gov/files/ori...f71efa9312.jpg

http://exhibits.sos.ca.gov/files/ori...71f7f566e0.jpg

More Long Beach, "The Pike." circa 1915
http://exhibits.sos.ca.gov/files/ori...c0dce8f5f1.jpg

Twenty years hence, Ocean Blvd., Long Beach (1935)
http://exhibits.sos.ca.gov/files/ori...4430a951bf.jpg

The heat is on. Long Beach (1935)
http://exhibits.sos.ca.gov/files/ori...a519a00472.jpg

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 10:14 PM

Let's see inside the Virginia, too!

(All images from the rather dubious http://web.csulb.edu/~odinthor/socal18.html, in turn from the even more dubious odinthor collection.)

Let's take a walk outside:

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 10:33 PM
BANNED

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 10:54 PM

Last edited by Beaudry; Jan 19, 2018 at 4:30 AM.

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:18 PM

So we all know the story of the Hershey house—how Almira took her pad at Fourth & Grand and in 1907 hauled it a couple blocks west down Fourth to Hope, had Neher & Skilling enlarge it, and it became the Castle Apts, looming over Flower Street and parts beyond.

lapl & Christina Rice

I'd always sort of wondered, since the Castle Towers is much larger, and we don't have an image of 350 S Grand on the Fourth St side, exactly what Neher & Skilling did. I just came upon a newspaper image that elucidates somewhat—I'm not sure what paper it's from as the image doesn't turn up in the Herald or the Times in newspapers.com. Take a look:

They cut it in two parts (about 3/4 of the western part of the Fourth St side, 1/4 of the eastern part of the Fourth St side), hauled it down Fourth and propped it up on the cliff, and built around it from the ground up, filling in the middle, until it looked like this:

Note the black lines in the image above showing the demarcation between the old building and the new, becoming the building we all know and love (did y'all see this post by John Bengston?).

Leaving the question, though, who designed 350 S Grand? I think it was Oliver Perry Dennis, of Dennis & Farwell fame.

First off, Mira Hershey gets a permit to build a two-story dwelling at the NE corner in May of '96, that's 350. Don't know the architect. But, Mira buys the lot across the street in October of '98 and by early '99 she's got OP Dennis-designed buildings going up at 355 and a "ten-room frame and stone residence" on the same lot at 356 S Bunker Hill. These three:

(Do we have a good image of 356?) Anyway, look at the similarities between 355 (which we know as Dennis) and 350.

lapl

They're the only two Chateauesque buildings on the Hill, commissioned by the same woman, two-1/2 years apart. (You have to imagine 355 as having more ornamentation, of course; in the 1930s pic it looks like it's had a reroofing which removed some of the ornamentation. Compare: )usc

Also interesting, Mira builds 350 in '96 and in '97 Cornelia Hill has Dennis & Farwell build this house in Redlands (later known as Kimberly Crest):

pacifichorticulture

Now it's said that Cornelia wanted the house to look like the architecture she'd seen in the Loire Valley. My theory is Cornelia saw what Mira had built and asked her "Who are your architects? I want something like that!"

Old Posted Jan 18, 2018, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beaudry View Post
[...]
pacifichorticulture

Now it's said that Cornelia wanted the house to look like the architecture she'd seen in the Loire Valley. My theory is Cornelia saw what Mira had built and asked her "Who are your architects? I want something like that!"
Amboise Chateau, Loire Valley:

from https://www.experienceloire.com/amboise.htm

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 12:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
I follow a Facebook page called SoCal Historic Architecture [...] There is one rather shameless contributor who has clearly been culling NLA posts all the way back to the begining of NLA, including text, and posting it verbatim to the FB page...he gets plenty of likes, but it's all recycled--no original content. (The sort of desperate need of people for the empty "likes" on FB has been much written about, hasn't it?)

Interesting. I've been assuming all along that this person you're calling out is actually one of us who is simply re-posting his own NLA content to that FB page using his real name.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 1:17 AM

Well, I know he's not Gaylord Wilshire, whose NLA posts have been recycled on more than once, as have those of others. It doesn't bother me when on occasion I see an NLAer reposting his own contributions made here. In the end, though--in the interest of keeping LA history alive...as I wrote in the original quote...I suppose the more our NLA finds find new eyes, the better.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 1:25 AM

Not me, either. But yeah, if that someone is re-posting material that they themselves did not author, they should take care to properly cite the original source. You know how I feel about 'give credit where credit's due'.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 2:05 AM

We have visited the Laguna Beach Victor Hugo several times in the past; here's a slide to add to the collection.

ebay

"Laguna Beach California Rare 1950s Victor Hugo Inn Los Angeles - original slide"

The seller also has this...

"Hollywood California - Los Angeles - 1967 Kodachrome slide"

ebay

It's tacky and kinda' cool at the same time.

I like how the trees/shrubs are meandering onto the stage..but those green arches just aren't doing it for me.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 2:28 AM
BANNED

Quote:
We have visited the Laguna Beach Victor Hugo several times in the past; here's a slide to add to the collection.

"Laguna Beach California Rare 1950s Victor Hugo Inn Los Angeles - original slide"

ebay

Sharp looking Mercury at the left in ER's previous photo.Charming slice of life photo from long ago. Thanks ER.

In the 1950s it was a kid friendly restaurant in an idyllic setting.
Restaurant is still there in 2018 but now known as Las Brisas. The flower gardens are gone. The Laguna Beach Art Gallery is next door.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jan 20, 2018 at 4:36 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos