HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 12:42 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Maddox Roberts View Post
You have to understand that this movie was based on a novel by the peerless Charles Willeford who was, shall we say, an unconventional writer. He was in the tradition of Jim Thompson, only better educated. He wrote some truly hilarious crime novels without writing a single thing that was conventionally funny. He has puzzled critics for decades. Roger Corman produced another Willeford novel adaptation, "Cockfighter." It was directed by Monte Hellman. It was Corman's sworn policy never to put his own money into a film and he never lost a dime while he adhered to that. He broke his rule and bankrolled "Cockfighter." Sure enough, it was a flop, though it became a much-admired cult movie.
Thanks John for the inside story. Actor Warren Oates was always edgy. I like cult films.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Feb 25, 2017 at 12:55 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 1:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I believe this photograph (ambrotype?) of a schoolboy standing in front of the Bradbury Mansion is new to NLA.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...4f4c294c2a.jpg
I kept meaning to get back to this.

I assume that is Llewellyn Bixby, Jr., 1879-1942 (MR already pointed out that the lad is standing on the Bixby home's front lawn), also assuming the photo was taken in the early 1890s when the boy was 13 or so. The photo may be to commemorate his first day of high school.

The photographer's shadow on the grass gives a hint of upswept hair and leg-o-mutton sleeves, so may be one of the boy's sisters, Sarah (1871-1935) or Anne (1874-1967). Could also be their Aunt Martha, who came to look after the kids when their mom died in 1882.

Bixby Lewellyn, Jr., as an adult, restored the extended-family's Rancho Los Cerritos adobe (Long Beach), which, originally built by John Temple in 1844, had fallen into disrepair after being leased out for decades. His son, also Llewellyn, eventually oversaw it's transfer to state ownership. It opened as a public museum in 1955.

Too bad the Bixby's Hill Street home wasn't saved too, but one can't have everything. Here in 1928, long after it had become multi-family and street widening had eaten away much of the front yard. It fell in 1954:

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
(second photo via FW):

Last edited by tovangar2; Feb 25, 2017 at 1:47 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 1:57 AM

Thanks Bristolian, HossC & CBD for figuring out the location of the balcony snapshot.

Here's a small motel that was practically next door to the Surfrider Inn. It's the 'Sun & Sea' Motel at 1661 Appian Way

old file / ebay

Originally posted by HossC

And it's still there.

gsv

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 25, 2017 at 2:34 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 2:14 AM

Now I want you to take a look at the neighbor to the north of the former 'Sun & Sea' Motel. (green arrow below)

google_earth

gsv

And it's looked this way since, at least 2008.

gsv

It reminds me of the type of place that might harbor hidden tunnels used to shanghai sailors.

___

Oh, and I almost forgot....

this ram-shackled place that hasn't seen a coat of painted in 30 years, has an unobstructed view of the ocean!

gsv

If anyone can dig up some information on 1669 Appian Way I'd be in your debt.

__

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 25, 2017 at 2:59 AM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 2:47 AM

This evening's 'mystery' location.

ebay

When I first saw this, I thought the fire department might have used one of the parking lots at Dodger Stadium
(but that wouldn't explain the 'tower' in the background)

Any idea where this was taken?
__

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 3:13 AM

OK, here's a 2nd 'mystery' location for tonight.

"Los Angeles County Air Pollution Control 1969"

ebay

If you look closely, there are numerous buildings and busy streets just below the precipice.

detail / enlarged

Good luck sleuths!

_

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 4:55 AM

LACoFD "Grinder"

Quote:
This evening's 'mystery' location.

ebay

When I first saw this, I thought the fire department might have used one of the parking lots at Dodger Stadium
(but that wouldn't explain the 'tower' in the background)

Any idea where this was taken?
__
That composite pic was shot at the LACoFD Hq on Eastern Ave in City Terrace. The concrete pad is/was where recruit Firefighters were trained. The "Tower" is still there, but they have built a building along the left edge of the property. Located at 1320 N. Eastern Ave. The Grinder is located just to the southwest of Sybil Brand on this map.
https://www.google.com/maps/place/13....1727973?hl=en

p.s. They were built locally in LA near Santa Fe Ave and 12th St.

Hope that helps,
Casey

Last edited by C. King; Feb 25, 2017 at 5:36 AM. Reason: added info

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 6:50 AM

1669 Appian Way

e_r,

What's "Government Undertaken Property"?

http://zipcodestreet.net/California/...an-Way/L/1669/

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 7:58 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
e_r,

What's "Government Undertaken Property"?

http://zipcodestreet.net/California/...an-Way/L/1669/
I assume that means the Property has been condemned by the city due to lack of maintenance and the owner's dereliction. Its probably due for demolition.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 11:05 AM

Quote:

If anyone can dig up some information on 1669 Appian Way I'd be in your debt.
The property websites seem to refer to the building as 1665 Appian Way (or 1665-1671). From zillow.com:
"1665 Appian Way, Santa Monica, CA is a multiple occupancy home that contains 2,707 sq ft and was built in 1914. It contains 4 bedrooms and 4 bathrooms. This home last sold for $2,200,000 in September 2014."
I found the tiny image below (which I've enlarged slightly) at smgov.net. It appears to show the building's proposed replacement, which will have three 2-bedroom units.

www.smgov.net

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 3:23 PM

Quote:
You have to understand that this movie was based on a novel by the peerless Charles Willeford who was, shall we say, an unconventional writer. He was in the tradition of Jim Thompson, only better educated. He wrote some truly hilarious crime novels without writing a single thing that was conventionally funny. He has puzzled critics for decades. Roger Corman produced another Willeford novel adaptation, "Cockfighter." It was directed by Monte Hellman. It was Corman's sworn policy never to put his own money into a film and he never lost a dime while he adhered to that. He broke his rule and bankrolled "Cockfighter." Sure enough, it was a flop, though it became a much-admired cult movie.

Charles Willeford had an LA connection, albeit limited. Quite a character.

Quote:
Willeford was born in Little Rock, Arkansas, in 1919. Following the death of his father from tuberculosis in 1922, Willeford and his mother moved to the Los Angeles area. After his mother's death in 1927, also from TB, he lived with his grandmother Mattie Lowey on Figueroa Street near Exposition Park until 1932. At the age of thirteen, in the midst of the Great Depression, he boarded a freight train in Los Angeles, assumed a false identity, and—passing as a seventeen-year-old—traveled by rail along the Mexican border for a year. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Willeford [

http://www.spinetinglermag.com/wp-co...-willeford.jpg

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 3:42 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
Charles Willeford had an LA connection, albeit limited. Quite a character.
Mr. Willeford

mundin.org

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Feb 25, 2017 at 3:56 PM.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 3:48 PM

Willeford's "A Guide for the Undehemorrhoided" is a must-read. He lived during the Depression as a genuine hobo and was a much-decorated tank commander in WWII. If that doesn't prepare you for a career as a noir writer I don't know what does.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 4:10 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Willeford's "A Guide for the Undehemorrhoided" is a must-read. He lived during the Depression as a genuine hobo and was a much-decorated tank commander in WWII. If that doesn't prepare you for a career as a noir writer I don't know what does.
OK, I checked Amazon.....this is what I found:

See all formats and editions
Hardcover
from $250.00
2 Used from $250.00
1 Collectible from $300.00

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 6:37 PM

Lipsett Steel Products Inc - 5950 S. Boyle Ave, Vernon
Bethlehem Steel Corp Office - 6000 S. Boyle Ave, Vernon

The 100-acre site was razed around 1985 to make way for a new Industrial Park.

The building in the foreground was used for the infamous Police Station shootout in The Terminator.

LAPL

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 7:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
OK, I checked Amazon.....this is what I found:

See all formats and editions
Hardcover
from $250.00
2 Used from $250.00
1 Collectible from $300.00
I read it online for free a few years ago, but it looks like it's disappeared now.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 7:51 PM

Early Highland Park and Mount Washington

I want to give a big thanks to ER and all the contributors of this forum for sharing their stories, research and images of Los Angeles. As a resident of Mount Washington, I'm surrounded by history and it's great to see what's been lost but also what we still have left to appreciate in our city. The aerial photo I'm sharing was found decorating the office of a long gone auto body shop on Figueroa and was said to be taken in 1925.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 8:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulwray View Post

I want to give a big thanks to ER and all the contributors of this forum for sharing their stories, research and images of Los Angeles. As a resident of Mount Washington, I'm surrounded by history and it's great to see what's been lost but also what we still have left to appreciate in our city. The aerial photo I'm sharing was found decorating the office of a long gone auto body shop on Figueroa and was said to be taken in 1925.
Welcome to the forum, Mulwray (stay away from salt water) and that's a great photo.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 9:00 PM

Welcome to the thread, Mulwray. I thought it would be fun to do a then and now with your photo.

Original posted by Mulwray

And today.

Google Maps

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 9:03 PM

From Malibu yesterday, we're traveling a long way inland for today's Julius Shulman post. I realize that Riverside is only just inside the Greater Los Angeles area, but I couldn't resist these mid-century pictures of a drive-in. This is "Job 577: Matcham and Heitschmidt, Rubidoux Drive-in Theater (Riverside, Calif.), 1949". Like yesterday, I've picked about half of the photos.

Waiting for the cars to arrive.

I'm guessing that the area in front of the screen was for children to play.

A close-up of a pair of speakers. Is one of those shadows Mr Shulman?

I'll finish with a look at the interior of the building seen above. You can even watch the movie through the large windows.

All from Getty Research Institute

The other reason I thought that the Rubidoux Drive-in Theater was worth including is that it's still standing at 3770 Opal Street, Riverside/Rubidoux. It now has three screens and also hosts a successful swap meet. You can read more at cinematreasures.org. The view below is looking roughly west.

Google Maps

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos