HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 5:27 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hill Country View Post
Maybe they are trying to get some marketing done while the SXSW crowds are here.
I bet you're right about that, and it's a smart move, like free advertising to an international audience of influencers. Although, not many people will be walking around that area to see it, but at least a few wayward wandering eyes will.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 7:30 PM

Yep, probably. BTW, checked again and they are only posting the logo, no building render. The have posted renderings for North Shore and the office tower. Hopefully this doesn't imply the renderings were preliminary.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2015, 11:37 PM
World Traveler

They made a big deal about the height and wanting to create a unique design in the beginning. I hope they stick to that, but things can change pretty quickly in this stage.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 12:38 AM

They went before the Waterfront Planning Advisory Board to request some slight variances on January 12 and returned on March 9. Unfortunately, they don't have video of those board meetings that I can find. It looks like the angled setback requirements are part of the reason for the interesting shape of the building. http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=227186

Old Posted Mar 14, 2015, 9:06 PM

View of the Proper site from today. The grey lot where that angled crane is.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 6:46 AM
World Traveler

Anyone know the intended purpose for the remaining Green Water lot (next to Cesar Chavez)? I know the original drawings showed another tower, but I can't recall the sort.

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 8:50 AM

^^The map labels it as "residential"

Old Posted Mar 15, 2015, 3:55 PM

It has always been envisioned as another good-sized tower whereas the Austin Proper lot was always envisioned as a smaller boutique hotel. I find it hard to believe that Austin Proper would not have wanted the lot closest to the water. The fact that they didn't get it says to me that there's probably something that's already planned for there. Funny how 500 West Second Street almost did not change all throughout the process. It was always envisioned as a big fat office building. Even Block 1 in this rough draft rendering didn't change that much. So far, the only one that ended up looking different is Austin Proper but even that still has a lot of similarities to what was originally envisioned. I would guess we end up seeing something roughly resembling what we see here:

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 6:45 AM
World Traveler

Thanks guys.

Old Posted Mar 16, 2015, 7:56 PM
lurker

I hope that lot isn't going to be a twin of the north shore. with two of them there like that it seems so post modern brutalist to me. I do think the Proper really look good on that lot.

I love the development of the 2nd street bridge. I wonder when the arch supports are going to be arriving.

The future will be here, tomorrow

Old Posted Apr 5, 2015, 3:17 PM

A second filing from March 27. Still no building details.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=11318798

Work type - Bldg/Prkg,Clring,Cut/Fill,Spoil Disposal

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 6:17 AM

It looks like they've made changes in the design of this building.

Old rendering

New rendering

Old Rendering

New rendering

The new rendering came from a presentation at the April 13, 2015 meeting at the Waterfront Planning Advisory Board

The big "X" patterns on the north & south walls are gone and the plain white mechanical equipment screen has been changed. There are also plans for a public overlook.

I liked the old design, but I think I like the new one even better.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 6:40 AM

One thing for sure, that's ALOT of windows.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 6:52 AM

I'm sure the reviews will be mixed as they are for every building ever proposed, but I think this is an improvement.

Also, the project was announced as 35-stories. But the new rendering shows 31 floors by my count and 27 floors on the old rendering.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 7:03 AM

Quote:
I'm sure the reviews will be mixed as they are for every building ever proposed, but I think this is an improvement.

Also, the project was announced as 35-stories. But the new rendering shows 31 floors by my count and 27 floors on the old rendering.
I counted 34 floors on the first new rendering. But I think they don't count the 13th floor, so it goes from 12 to 14 which will make it a total of 35 floors.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
I counted 34 floors on the first new rendering. But I think they don't count the 13th floor, so it goes from 12 to 14 which will make it a total of 35 floors.
The difference is that you're counting the three "floors" of the mechanical screen which I didn't count. So that would make 34 floors. Hotels always count that 13th floor as if it existed. The Fairmont is still described as 37-floors even though there is no 13th.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 7:16 AM

Quote:
The difference is that you're counting the three "floors" of the mechanical screen which I didn't count. So that would make 34 floors. Hotels always count that 13th floor as if it existed. The Fairmont is still described as 37-floors even though there is no 13th.
True. Still is a very nice hotel, nonetheless.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 9:13 AM

I'm not so sure these are new renderings. They show up with a January 22 date on the Waterfront Planning Advisory Board March meeting backup. The renderings we previously had came out January 23 when the project was announced.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 11:19 AM
World Traveler

I hope these are new. I like it more also. The X thing was kind of strange for me, but to each his own, I suppose. I like the windows version more.

Old Posted Apr 15, 2015, 1:25 PM

Quote:
I'm not so sure these are new renderings. They show up with a January 22 date on the Waterfront Planning Advisory Board March meeting backup. The renderings we previously had came out January 23 when the project was announced.

Their letter dated April 8, 2015 said they had presented designs in January and had gotten feedback and presented new designs on March 9, and it made reference to the fact that they were adding the public overlook, etc. The part about the public overlook wasn't part of the January presentation. Since what I'm calling the "new renderings" are still part of the stuff (including the public overlook) they sent to the WPAB in April, I'm assuming they are the current proposed design.

That's my interpretation, but I could be wrong.

Last edited by LoneStarMike; Apr 15, 2015 at 9:08 PM. Reason: yikes! changed pubic to public

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin