HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 4:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I just say Austin without Texas because it kinda irks me as well about having to hear Texas added like we are so unkown that they have to be reminded we are the 2nd largest state capital city of the second largest state both in size and population.

I actually have started to see and hear Austin mentioned more without Texas. I figured in time now that the city does get a lot of national and international attention that it will become less of a need to add Texas. To be fair though I have heard the other 3 largest cities have Texas added after their names occasionally as well.
Well I have to admit that it sounds good together. Austin, Texas. Since my simple life, simple brain wrapped around this, I realized that when asked where I'm from, I always say Poughkeepsie, NY, and even though I'm the only person named John at work, I'm usually greeted by co-workers saying my first and last name. No one else every gets the first and last name greet.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 4:58 PM

Given that (1) Houston, Dallas and SA already can exclude the state in naming and; (2) the very often hostile approach from the lege (see about revamping CVCs and a host of other issues) and; (3) a fair amount of international recognition, e.g. Formula One and SXSW, I have no problem with dropping the 'Texas.' As a matter of fact I will go out of my way to do this.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 12:51 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AusTxDevelopment View Post
When visiting England a couple of years ago, a cabbie asked us where we were from. We said Texas. He laughed and said most yanks say America or the US, except people from Texas. Texans always say Texas.
That's incredibly true - I've heard similar responses as I've traveled around Asia for work.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 1:12 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Never ask a man if he's from Texas. If he is, he'll tell you. If he isn't, you'll embarrass him.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 1:48 AM

Never ask a navy man if he'll have another drink because it's nobody's goddamned business how much he's had already.
The Bishop
Caddyshack

Sorry-couldn't resist

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 4:34 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
...you almost never hear or read a mention of Austin without being followed by Texas. Detroit wasn't follow by Michigan in that story.
There are a few factors contributing to this phenomenon, and pardon me for repeating some of the points others have made, but I'm going to state all of them as I perceive them:

1. Categorization --- we form categories based on a list of exemplars, and there's only so much room on those lists. Detroit was there first, and it has a lot more going for it than population. It's got deep history, the auto industry, and the fact that it was one of the top 5 cities in the nation for population and GDP in its prime. I think there's a certain amount of "category inertia" that makes it difficult to reorganize our lists, but I bet that there's a statistically significant difference between the way young and old people think about Austin vs. Detroit. It would be interesting to get data correlating the pairing of Austin with Texas, and age. My bet is that people under 40 are more likely to drop the "Texas" because Austin has become its own brand and has top-of-mind name recognition for young people, whereas for people over 70 there may be a lingering image of a dusty little cow town somewhere in the heart of Texas. Our first and early impressions can be updated, but a trace of the original impression remains.

2. Blame it on Boston! I've run into this problem many times, where people think I said "Boston" even though I said "Austin." It's because Boston has historically played a much bigger role in the nation and the world. Our brains are brilliant at interpreting the fuzzy data transmitted by neurons, but when there's a strong similarity between two images or names or tunes, the pattern-matching neuronal activity of our brains will reach immediately for the most available match, and up until very recently it was more likely that a person would talk about Boston than Austin (assuming one was neither in Texas nor MA.)

3. Texas pride? I've always enjoyed telling people that I live in Austin, Texas, because there's an in-your-face quality about Texas. Is it just me, or can anyone relate? For native Texans there's a well-known pride of place, but for an ex-Californian liberal like me it's especially fun because I like to confuse people and break their stereotypes. I like the contradiction. "Austin, Texas" is a socio-political-geographic oxymoron. I fucking LOVE that, and I've milked it for the 26 years that I've lived here.

4. Because a lot of people actually don't know where Austin is! However, I'm much less likely to add the "Texas" now than I was in the past. People are much more likely to know where Austin is now, but in the 90s it was often useful to clarify because, let's face it, most people are geographically illiterate. So they get a free geography lesson in the process of learning about where you're from.

I've spent a few summers traveling around the country and up into Canada, taking months-long road trips so as to help Greenland get rid of its pesky glaciers. On these trips, I've always been driving a Hyundai Santa Fe with Texas plates and some sort of hippie bumper stickers. I used to have liberal political stickers, but I've gone non-political in recent years and now sport one of those ubiquitous "COEXIST" stickers (done with symbols of different religions) and a NAMASTE sticker. Total hippie shit. And this is all part of an image that plays up the contradiction. I love having those stickers on a car with Texas plates, because it's fun to violate people's stereotypical expectations. I would probably have some kind of libertarian sticker if I lived in the Bay area. However, in all this pretense of being a rebel, I have to admit that Austin probably has more COEXIST bumper stickers per capita than just about any other city in the country, so I'm playing right into a stereotype about Austin that I actually like and that I want to amplify.

Quote:
In another article / viewpoint vlog, the writer asks, "Why doesn't Austin feel like a big city"? This perplexes me too.
First, a vlog is a video, so saying "the writer asks" when referring to a vlog is a contradiction. I like it.

But regarding the question about Austin's feel, I think it's a pretty straight-forward case of the historical context of the development of cities. Older cities were built dense and tall, with imposing stone buildings that have a grandeur about them, and they've always been more oriented toward public transit because they were big before cars were the preferred mode of transport. I think this is by far the main factor that gives Austin a smaller-city feel, it's that we don't have an extensive downtown with skyscrapers butting up against one another.

Our zoning laws have also prevented the traditional type of development, favoring lots of open spaces rather than a dense skyline. All the setbacks, the CVCs, the tree ordinances, and the neighborhoods close to downtown that prevent it from expanding, it all contributes to a very small core with scattered skyscrapers, surrounded by miles of sprawl. And the absence of tall buildings outside of the core also makes it look smaller. That's almost entirely due to zoning, correct? I regret this, and wish there could be clusters of highrises outside of downtown, although maybe private developers aren't even interested in doing that, given the fact that the Domain hasn't taken advantage of its own capacity to be much taller.

And one more factor that might contribute to the small-city image is the preservation of an amazing urban tree canopy, such that when you look at the city from a vantage point like the I-35 upper deck, you mostly see UT through downtown, and the rest of it is obscured beneath trees. That's pretty sweet, and something we can be happy about. And the geography of the city makes it impossible to see its extent from any angle near the ground. Even from Mt. Bonnell it's impossible to see a lot of the city, maybe as much as half of the area where people live is obscured even from up there.

Old Posted May 25, 2016, 1:30 AM

Tech House, thank you for following up on my second point. Your insights are quite thought full. (Sic)
As to #2, your points explain very well why Austin seems smallish. For the record, I don't mind the small town feel, I embrace it. Thanks to your insight, I can wrap my head around the thought that holy shit we're
the 11th largest city in the US, but you couldn't guage that by our downtown. San Antonio's downtown also says nothing of its population even more so, but driving around, you do get a sense that its somewhat of a big city. For most of the first two decades I've been here, the bulk of the taller density has been a thin line, north to south along Congress Ave, then forming a 'T' where it reached the river. Its slowly changing this last decade and will continue to evolve, but because of the boundaries to the east and west,
we'll always have that 'T' shaped downtown instead of other downtowns that stretch out in all directions that I associate with being larger despite their smaller population. Again, I don't mind, I think Austin looks unique and that's good, but please, if there is a God in heaven who understands my needs, please build me the signature tower I've been waiting for before I die.

Last edited by the Genral; May 25, 2016 at 2:35 AM.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 9:07 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I also like the T or upside down T for us south of the river shape of DT. I will point out however that there are some places here on the southside that when you look at the skyline it looks massive. Not only that but from certain southwestern angles You can see not just the Waterfront skyline stretching east to west but you can also see along and north up to UT. Its really the only area besides a few spots to the southeast that you can get a sense of both angles. I agree that anyone coming in from the north cannot get an accurate sense of the city's true size due to elevation factors. Essentially DT is in a bowl, the reason why we have such a better view of DT south of the river is because the bowl rises steeply up to a rim which runs roughly along Ben White/290/71. Once you get further south though the elevation rise becomes less steep and by the time you get to Stasseny only the Austonian and the very tops of Frost and a couple of other towers are visible.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 4:50 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Could have some more crazy flood pictures in the next few days. Lots of ingredients coming together for a real problematic situation statewide.

If the Low stalls, we're in for some trouble. NWS also says there's a chance of the Low splitting with the new one tracking down the Rio Grande, and both could stall out over Texas. Yikes.

Currently, 4-7" widespread with pockets of up to 15" is forecast. As with all forecasts, this could be wildly off in either direction.

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 5:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Could have some more crazy flood pictures in the next few days. Lots of ingredients coming together for a real problematic situation statewide.

If the Low stalls, we're in for some trouble. NWS also says there's a chance of the Low splitting with the new one tracking down the Rio Grande, and both could stall out over Texas. Yikes.

Currently, 4-7" widespread with pockets of up to 15" is forecast. As with all forecasts, this could be wildly off in either direction.

Soooo you're saying there's a slight chance the last Austin X Games might not be washed out?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 7:09 PM
Honored Member

Hey, would one of you Austin old-timers kindly turn down the humidity? It's getting ridiculous.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 3:15 AM

I just listened to Dolly Parton's rendition of Led Zeppelin's Stairway To Heaven and I threw up in my mouth. Thought I'd share...

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 6:11 AM

Quote:
I just listened to Dolly Parton's rendition of Led Zeppelin's Stairway To Heaven and I threw up in my mouth. Thought I'd share...
Video Link

Old Posted Jun 26, 2016, 1:25 PM

I know this is the wrong thread, but the Genral started it. Don't forget Dread Zeppelin, the Elvis impersonator fronted all white reggae band.

https://youtu.be/8Fd_Aisl8xI

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 6:04 AM
Meh

Not Austin, but this is too cool not to share.

Video Link

Old Posted Jun 29, 2016, 2:46 PM

That is cool! Now that flood lights are inefficient and becoming somewhat obsolete, along with incandescent bulbs, LEDs are popping up everywhere, including bridges and the flexibility for putting on a focused light show is both beautiful and amazing, and far more cost effective. The LEDs on the Corpus Cristi bridge downtown put on quite the show also.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2016, 6:28 PM

I have never used these services/apps but they do look interesting:

http://www.capcog.org/divisions/plan...places-program

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 12:14 AM
クラブトクヨ

Thoughts? I am not a Texas native, so i dont have much to say about it.

http://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2...t-it-wont-last

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 12:30 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by clubtokyo View Post
Thoughts? I am not a Texas native, so i dont have much to say about it.

http://www.strongtowns.org/journal/2...t-it-wont-last
Meh. So he's saying Texas will get to a point where we can't support the influx of people and growth? And he's saying we'll likely just let places naturally dry up and let people leave? Ok.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2016, 12:34 AM
クラブトクヨ

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Meh. So he's saying Texas will get to a point where we can't support the influx of people and growth? And he's saying we'll likely just let places naturally dry up and let people leave? Ok.
Yeah and I was just looking at the site overall, and I dont really see the credibility. The article is pretty vague.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin