HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 12:19 AM

The last time I drove by Toy Joy, there was a line going all the way down the street. I have a feeling they're not suffering.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 2:07 AM
Representing the ATX!!!

You do not need validation from shops on 2nd Street to park at city Hall. It is free the first 30 min and 5 dollars after. I have no problems parking downtown whether it be street parking or parking garage. You must be parking at the wrong garages cause the one I park at is only 5 bucks. There is also street parking if you know where to look just about any time though it is a bit harder to find during big events downtown, it's still possible.

As far as the HEB at Slaughter and Congress, that area has horrible traffic. I find the farther away your from the core, the worse the traffic gets. The traffic is not the cause of the urban residents and people that live within 5 to 7 miles from Downtown, it's all the people that live beyond that. With fewer mass transit options the farther you go the more people have to rely on their cars to get around. I can't stand driving Slaughter or any of the major streets on the edge of the city.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 2:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
All the "great new buildings" provide their residents with one and sometimes two parking spaces because most of these residents rely on their cars to go to work or play. No parking options in these new highrises would mean no residents in the highrises. That is the current Austin reality. Unfortunately, there has been no effort by the city to encourage or require some form of short term and affordable parking downtown. Even the convention center garages go to flat rate after 6PM. I have news for some of you guys, but I can drive into downtown SF or Chicago (or Dallas or Houston for that matter) and find plenty of almost affordable hourly parking that would allow me to go shopping or keep an appointment and then go on my way. I needed to go to Toy Joy to get an interesting birthday present for a nephew. I was coming from Austin Pets Alive (Town Lake Animal Center) before heading home in SW Austin. It simply was not realistic for me to consider my public transit options before heading off to shop downtown. You can pontificate all you want about downtown being for public transit users, pedestrians, bike riders, and residents only, but there will NEVER (never being the next 20 years or so)) be a truly viable shopping district in the heart of downtown Austin without some additional convenient parking options for local residents. 2nd St. is turning out to be primarily a pleasant place for visitors to burn some bucks on a meal or some entertainment.
The city isn't trying to discourage car-use downtown but it isn't encouraging it either and rightly so. Cars pollute the air downtown and make for an unpleasant atmosphere for pedestrians. Parking takes up a lot of precious space in a dense, urban environment that could have other uses.

There are a ton of residential developments in and around downtown within walking, biking, and bus distance so a "shopping district" without a substantial increase in car parking is completely possible. I live in the Hyde Park area and everyone I know either bikes to takes the 1L or 1M into downtown (soon to be the 801 MetroRapid bus).

Mass transit might not be feasible for you but there are hundreds of thousands of people living in Central Austin for which it is (that number is increasing). The MetroRapid bus will run every 10-12 minutes during peak hours (with much improved accuracy) so I foresee even more people using that option to go there.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 5:00 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by oleblue2010 View Post
HEB has put up a "coming soon" sign at the lot bounded by South Congress, Slaughter, and I-35 South.

What a traffic boondoggle that will be...
Oh my goodness...

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 5:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
Oh my goodness...
Agree, that's going to be a traffic nightmare. So I guess it we go up behind the Valero?

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 6:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by audiomuse View Post
The city isn't trying to discourage car-use downtown but it isn't encouraging it either and rightly so. Cars pollute the air downtown and make for an unpleasant atmosphere for pedestrians. Parking takes up a lot of precious space in a dense, urban environment that could have other uses.

There are a ton of residential developments in and around downtown within walking, biking, and bus distance so a "shopping district" without a substantial increase in car parking is completely possible. I live in the Hyde Park area and everyone I know either bikes to takes the 1L or 1M into downtown (soon to be the 801 MetroRapid bus).

Mass transit might not be feasible for you but there are hundreds of thousands of people living in Central Austin for which it is (that number is increasing). The MetroRapid bus will run every 10-12 minutes during peak hours (with much improved accuracy) so I foresee even more people using that option to go there.
Downtown shopping (on Congress Ave or within a block or three from Congress) will not take off unless there are massive improvements in public transportation in Austin. A real light rail network with frequent service that fans out to all parts of the metro area and hopefully includes a subway tunnel through downtown (I am a true dreamer) would certainly enhance downtown's appeal as a shopping destination. It seems to me that the Lamar/6th St. area is proving to be more of a success at becoming a real shopping destination. Please note that there is a lot of parking available in that area to accommodate shoppers, and more is currently under construction. With regards to the "hundreds of thousands of people living in Central Austin", most of them still hop in their cars and head to Barton Creek Mall, The Domain (a truly plastic pseudo urban environment), the Arboretum, the big box meccas in Sunset Valley, at Slaughter/IH35 (another true nightmare) or along Research Blvd. and Mopac out in NW Austin. That is where the sales tax dollars are generated in the Austin area. It is nice to know that Hyde Park residents are eager to ride the bus or bike downtown, but I bet most of them go to the places I just listed to do their everyday shopping. People once upon a time went downtown to do their everyday shopping.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 6:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoninATX View Post
Agree, that's going to be a traffic nightmare. So I guess it we go up behind the Valero?
The trick is just to avoid that area at all costs. It is a traffic screw up that just keeps getting worse. You might think that the traffic engineers drawing a pay check from this city could come up with some half way creative solutions to keep things more or less moving in that area. I miss the good old days when traffic cops wore a pair of white traffic gloves and got out to actually direct traffic and keep it moving. I have never seen an Austin cop attempt to direct traffic at a busy intersection.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 6:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndic View Post
The last time I drove by Toy Joy, there was a line going all the way down the street. I have a feeling they're not suffering.
Shame on you! Why were you driving? When I walked in there on Friday night, I was the only customer. Some tourists wandered in while I was shopping. The sales clerk told me that most of their business is from out-of-towners since the move. She implied that business is good, and she encouraged me to come again during the daytime when it is easier to park at City Hall. I did find a good gift for my nephew, so I guess the hassle was worth it. They certainly stock clever and interesting toys.,

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 6:08 PM

1-25-14

C'mon density!

Old Posted Jan 26, 2014, 11:43 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
It might face the 35 Frontage Road.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
The trick is just to avoid that area at all costs. It is a traffic screw up that just keeps getting worse. You might think that the traffic engineers drawing a pay check from this city could come up with some half way creative solutions to keep things more or less moving in that area. I miss the good old days when traffic cops wore a pair of white traffic gloves and got out to actually direct traffic and keep it moving. I have never seen an Austin cop attempt to direct traffic at a busy intersection.
Lol... I got that covered. I rarely travel past Ben White unless I'm heading to Twin Peak's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
It might face the 35 Frontage Road.
I was think the same. That would make traffic more manageable then having HEB facing Congress Ave. Talk about accidents.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 1:01 AM

Thanks for the density shot Tie Guy. From that angle downtown Austin is starting to resemble a northern city.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 11:56 AM
Everywhere all at once

Quote:
Thanks for the density shot Tie Guy. From that angle downtown Austin is starting to resemble a northern city.
Now we just need the former Austin Children's Museum site surrounding the Austonian to see some action.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 9:44 PM

With the new rules that don't require parking spaces, will there be any movement on developing the lots along west Congress near the Frost building? It just seems like the combination of parking + setback killed all possibilities of development.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2014, 10:22 PM

Wow it appears that my skyline view of Austin will soon be out dated.

Last edited by The Model; Jan 27, 2014 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Photo didn't attach

Old Posted Jan 28, 2014, 11:17 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Model View Post

Wow it appears that my skyline view of Austin will soon be out dated.
Oh yea and more to start construction. The skyline will dramatically change.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 1:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatenIslander237 View Post
Now we just need the former Austin Children's Museum site surrounding the Austonian to see some action.
That we do.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 1:45 AM

Think Tank HQ Austin U/C

Quote:
January 26, 2014

More construction barricades appeared recently around a downtown building, signaling more change in Austin’s ever-changing downtown and representing the first significant project on the northern end of Congress Avenue in decades.

The Texas Public Policy Foundation (TPPF) is moving across the street from 900 Congress to 901 Congress Ave. An existing 2-story historic building is being razed to make way for a beautiful 5-story building designed by Austin-based Sixthriver Archtiects. The Austin office of BIG RED DOG is the civil engineer and Austin-based Harvey-Cleary is the general contractor.
http://www.buildingatx.com/2014/01/5...-9th-congress/

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 1:48 AM

Here's what the site of the new Think Tank HQ looks like now.

http://www.buildingatx.com/2014/01/5...-9th-congress/

Thanks to buildingatx which keeps on track developments that are right under our noses.

Last edited by JoninATX; Jan 29, 2014 at 2:37 AM.

Old Posted Jan 29, 2014, 3:07 AM

Quote:
I really like this building. It seems very respectful of it's location and the gallery alone the front and side is lovely.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin