HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Apr 30, 2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
I'm pretty sure you were being sarcastic (I hope). But you sure gave (not)innovative(not)thinking a hard on.
Definitely not my intention

S/ does indeed = sarcasm

Old Posted May 2, 2016, 9:50 PM

Rumor: looks like things are afoot and touché may survive after all. The developer is trying to secure some deals with the adajacent developments that would allow it to stay. Not final but they see it as the path of least resistance if they can make it work so I'd say it's better than 50/50. That's unfortunately all I can share and is unsubstantiated.

Old Posted May 3, 2016, 6:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunya View Post
Rumor: looks like things are afoot and touché may survive after all. The developer is trying to secure some deals with the adajacent developments that would allow it to stay. Not final but they see it as the path of least resistance if they can make it work so I'd say it's better than 50/50. That's unfortunately all I can share and is unsubstantiated.
Fantastic news! Very curious to see what they come up with as an alternative.

Old Posted May 23, 2016, 7:12 PM

Pre-Application Conference scheduled:

Quote:
280 unit 16 story building with market rate apartments and ground floor retail. Basement parking is included.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 12:33 AM
Karma Police

Did this proposal just get taller? I thought they originally proposed 12 stories. If so, the loss of the old firehouse may be more justifiable. Although I still hope they can incorporate the old façade into the new building somehow, that's probably just wishful thinking at this point.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65MAX View Post
Did this proposal just get taller? I thought they originally proposed 12 stories. If so, the loss of the old firehouse may be more justifiable. Although I still hope they can incorporate the old façade into the new building somehow, that's probably just wishful thinking at this point.
I could see the facade incorporation working really well if the architects were of the WPA/Holst/Lever ilk because you'd be guaranteed to get some artful design work that would highlight the contrast between old and new. In this case, with Sera being the architecture firm (this is Sera, yes?), I shudder to think of just how ungainly it could turn out...

Any chance that the additional stories are to account for a smaller footprint?

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 1:00 AM

The unit count has also gone up from 150 to 280. There's no way they're getting 280 units on the site without using the Fire House and/or the Premier Press building.

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 1:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
The unit count has also gone up from 150 to 280. There's no way they're getting 280 units on the site without using the Fire House and/or the Premier Press building.
Are they possibly trying to justify the loss of the firehouse with more density? Not that they need to, but I imagine that they'll get less pushback...

Old Posted May 24, 2016, 11:48 PM

Quote:
I believe you are onto something with the latter guess.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 12:26 AM

Things to make maccoinnich happy on a Friday evening: the revised Notice of a Pre-Application Conference [PDF] shows Firehouse #3 remaining. Curiously the 1440 Hoyt project looks like it has been abandoned.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 1:19 AM

Quote:
Things to make maccoinnich happy on a Friday evening: the revised Notice of a Pre-Application Conference [PDF] shows Firehouse #3 remaining. Curiously the 1440 Hoyt project looks like it has been abandoned.
Just checked - 1440hoyt took down their website.

That was a solid little project.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 3:26 AM

Interesting. Too bad they couldn't do something creative with the western portion of the Premiere Press building. Glad to see the Firehouse staying, though.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 3:28 AM

I'm confused, which one was 1440? Was that the 6-story office building?

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 3:30 AM

Never mind, figured it out

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 4:48 AM
Karma Police

Fantastic news! (for a change). I agree with tworivers, it would have been better if they could also keep the western half of the Premier Press building, but the Firehouse has much more architectural and cultural value IMO, as well as visibility. If one had to be sacrificed for the other, I'm glad this is the direction they're going.

Old Posted May 28, 2016, 7:27 AM
A before E

Quote:
This is good news.

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 3:33 AM

Maybe its my sit outside with a beer on the patio side coming out, but I like how they point out the patios and rooftop lounge area in the new design.

Although, facing 405 its bound to be a wash...

Old Posted May 30, 2016, 6:57 AM

Quote:
1440 Hoyt was great, but this is fantastic news!

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 7:06 AM

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Historic Pearl District firehouse won't be demolished after all

An historic Pearl District firehouse that had been targeted for demolition will remain standing after all, as a developer has altered plans to replace it with market-rate apartments.

The original proposal was for developer Mill Creek Residential to demolish the Station 3 firehouse, built in 1913 and now home to the restaurant Touche, and the neighboring Hawaiian Time restaurant, replacing them with a 12-story apartment building. The site is along the north side of Northwest Glisan Street between 14th and 15th avenues.

But Sam Rodriguez, senior managing director at the developer's Portland office, said Tuesday that the company has negotiated a deal to acquire the half-block immediately to the north. That will allow Mill Creek to build a bigger project and also save the firehouse building.

"We've been working behind the scenes a lot," Rodriguez said.
...continues at the Oregonian.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland