HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 7:31 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
I apologize. I guess I was trying too hard at being humorous about this and didn't realize I actually became an annoyance. Not my intent. I actually don't have a hate bone in my body for this or anyone. Guess I took this too far of which I'm sorry. The ATX, I always respected and appreciate your posts and contributions. I don't mind being set straight by you. Consider problem solved I also want to apologize to anyone else I upset.
I'm sorry to see you self-censoring in response to a single comment. I see nothing wrong with your comments or his. We've been piling on, he came to the defense, it's all part of the balance of perspectives that make a forum interesting. This forum will be a lot more boring to me if it trends toward factual, technical updates, minus the colorful banter. If the forum's "owners" (whoever they may be) should decide that we're supposed to stick to one kind of comment over another, then so be it, but I don't see anything particularly wrong with the Austin forum. ATXPhil's take on us being focused on design-bashing is a personal perception, it's not an objective, authoritative analysis of the content of the forum. Please don't join the ranks of the overly-sensitive. We're already ceding too much control to them in every aspect of public life. Where there's true injustice, let it be called out, but there's nothing inherently problematic about using one's creative writing skills to demolish a design with sarcasm. If anything, such vigorous public discourse helps to sharpen our wits and see things in varying lights.

This isn't a complaint about ATXPhil's comment, so I hope it isn't taken that way. What I'm saying is that nobody is doing anything wrong, and this forum is working beautifully, so let's not self-censor in an attempt to avoid offending anyone. If you're not offending anyone then you're probably pretty boring, and I find that highly offensive!

Old Posted May 15, 2016, 7:39 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATXPhil View Post
It is also been a priority of Brandywine's to provide additional parking for the ground floor retail AND public parking so they can simultaneously serve all three segments. The Warehouse District is arguably the most desirable part of DT to provide public parking for obvious reasons.
Hi ATXPhil and welcome to the forum. Glad there are more newcomers chiming in.

I've been a regular in the 4th street area for my entire adult life. I'm DT just about every weekend and going by what I see is that there's plenty of parking for people who wish to go to the Warehouse District if they do choose. The garage that I park at, never ever fills all the way up even during the big events and it's only a short 2 block walk away. There are other garages around there as well. Its understandable to have parking for the office component and even a little extra for whatever retail element is added but IMO it's overkill to provide more parking than is needed for that project. Also if perfectly capable and healthy people make a big deal about walking more than a block radius to go somewhere then why bother to go DT at all. There's nothing wrong with walking a few blocks and indeed it's healthy to walk more. I see how much parking is just left unused in these garages even during SXSW, that may also have something to do with people taking other forms of transit during SXSW which is great but bottom line, there is more than enough parking every day of the week for those of us who venture DT in the evenings and at night.

Besides once the workday ends, that garage will have plenty of parking without adding extra just for the sole purpose of having extra parking for the Warehouse District.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech House View Post
I'm sorry to see you self-censoring in response to a single comment. I see nothing wrong with your comments or his.

This isn't a complaint about ATXPhil's comment, so I hope it isn't taken that way. What I'm saying is that nobody is doing anything wrong, and this forum is working beautifully, so let's not self-censor in an attempt to avoid offending anyone. If you're not offending anyone then you're probably pretty boring, and I find that highly offensive!
Ahhh, I knew you 'got' me Tech House. I love satire and lampooning this project. But I just thought this was the right thing to do. I have other venues for my wit that's always welcome. I went way beyond just debating and as The ATX said, kept beating a dead horse. I'm disappointed that people got tired of the satire, it was fun while it lasted, but yeah, I concede to the will of the people. To me its stunning how serious some people are here. But I respect it. Like I said, I have other venues where I can be as viciously satirical as I want. This is still a great place to discuss and debate buildings and I love the pics and updates, just don't get carried away with the jabs. Lesson learned.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
Appreciate you rising above it and not being defensive as some can be when called out. I too have been a bit sarcastic with this one, so I'm right there with you.

So...moving on.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 5:55 AM

Quote:
I apologize. I guess I was trying too hard at being humorous about this and didn't realize I actually became an annoyance. Not my intent. I actually don't have a hate bone in my body for this or anyone. Guess I took this too far of which I'm sorry. The ATX, I always respected and appreciate your posts and contributions. I don't mind being set straight by you. Consider problem solved I also want to apologize to anyone else I upset.
I thought your recent rant was very entertaining. It kind of reminds me of something John Kelso might have written back in his sardonic prime. I seem to recollect that Kelso is not one of your favorites, so I hope you don't mind the comparison. I always enjoy your comments. I also tend to agree that the Austin threads on SSP are for the most part civilized and reasonably respectful. I hope people will not feel the need to censor their opinions in the interests of trying to sound like a cheerleader for all things Austin. That would be very lame indeed.

Old Posted May 16, 2016, 1:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I thought your recent rant was very entertaining. It kind of reminds me of something John Kelso might have written back in his sardonic prime. I seem to recollect that Kelso is not one of your favorites, so I hope you don't mind the comparison. I always enjoy your comments. I also tend to agree that the Austin threads on SSP are for the most part civilized and reasonably respectful. I hope people will not feel the need to censor their opinions in the interests of trying to sound like a cheerleader for all things Austin. That would be very lame indeed.
I like the old fart. I'm impressed you recall my mention of him a while back where one of his commentaries was about me and he called me a weenie! My skin thickened after that and I owe it to him somewhat

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 2:03 AM
Honored Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I thought your recent rant was very entertaining. It kind of reminds me of something John Kelso might have written back in his sardonic prime.
I'd say he's more like a cross between Herb Caen and Jim Rome. Unfortunately, I doubt anyone here is familiar enough with both of them to get this reference.

The timing of ATXPhil's comment was interesting for me personally, because I had recently emailed a friend a link to what I thought was a hilarious Jeff Ward rant about economics. To me, Jeff Ward has a similar style as Jim Rome, and both of them can be absolutely vicious, but to my ears it's happy music and puts me in a good mood. But my friend responded, "Why the hell are you listening to this horseshit, are you addicted to rage?" I was taken aback because I've never thought that Ward sounded enraged, he's just an energetic and entertaining ranter. The point is, I frequently fail to realize that people interpret words and tone of voice in unique ways that I can't predict, and that's what happened in this case with our recent design-bashing festivities.

This all reminds me of a poster that I saw in a friend's house in the 1970s: "I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant."

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 4:39 AM

Thanks guys. I didn't mean to come out of the gate as a new contributor on the offensive. I love this forum and reading your interesting posts. It's been the best source of information on new projects hands down ever since I started following as an observer.

I understand that not all of the garages DT are fully utilized by public parking, even the weekends. This is a great spot for it though as DT patrons that park here are within a 5-6 block walk of most of the Shoal Creek/West 6th area, the Warehouse District venues, the Congress/Hotel & Civic District and Lady Bird Lake. It is the perfect epicenter for enjoying all of the different sectors of DT except for Rainey Street.

I think Branywine's intent is to be able to offer public parking during the day as well in addition to serving their office and retail tenants, rather than just opening it up at night. I could be wrong but some of their comments about the project seem to imply that. Nearly half of the floors in 500 W 2nd, Colorado Tower, 5th & Colorado and Third + Shoal are parking levels. Brandywine is just following suit. I park in that area sometimes for quick visits to clients' offices in buildings on neighboring blocks and many of the spaces in the existing surface lot are taken even on the weekdays.

As many of you know, about 25% of the total jobs in the Austin MSA are located in the core of the city (most concentrated in the nation) and the current office occupancy DT on space delivered is at 94% with rent/sq. ft. shattering previous highs. However, lenders are still not comfortable with massive office projects because most of the space is being built spec so developers are trying to show additional revenue to the office rental income in their underwriting models. In this cycle we've had the largest hotels, condo, and apartment towers in Austin's history being built, but we have not had any office towers proposed larger than the Frost Tower (in height and/or sq. ft.). Lenders just won't fund office projects that large right now. This very well may end up being another half empty garage at night but Brandywine feels it is necessary.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 4:41 AM

A great quote master, and a shoot from the hip straight talker combo, I like that. You'd fit right in at that table also Tech House. If I could get a rise out of a 3 year lurker aka ATXPhil to come out and speak out against me and or us on his first post over a lampoon over a silly building and a few other disgreeable projects including a yellow arched bridge, then the reality is the thread does become more interesting because now we have drama mixed in with the contrasts of opinion and comedy. Who wouldn't want to log in just to see what happens next? For me personally, if I don't like what I'm reading, I just ignor and skip the post...turn the channel so to speak. This building was a joy to lampoon, and don't think for a minute the designers and developers are upset about their building getting talked about good or bad or give a shit what I think about it, so why should anyone else? I wonder if anyone's aware that constant praise can be equally annoying to those with opposite views? It would be great to see someone lampoon my lampoons by saying something witty and positive. We all have different tastes, case in point...my wife LOVES lima beans, I HATE lima beans, I don't get how anyone can eat the damn things and she doesn't get that I can' t stand them. I give her hell every time she makes them. She however has never called me a hater, or that I instigate hate by lobbying against them. We're still together for 33 years despite our total disagreement about lima beans, and black eyed peas.
NASCAR's Jeff Gordan once said he would rather hear the 'boo's' over silence during the driver's intro and parade.
So just a heads up, if another proposal or subject comes up that deserves to be lampooned, I'll be ready, I wouldn't want to deny the developer his or her Jeff Gordon moment. Remember, next time....turn - the - channel....

Last edited by the Genral; May 17, 2016 at 5:29 AM.

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 6:19 AM

Quote:
So just a heads up, if another proposal or subject comes up that deserves to be lampooned, I'll be ready, I wouldn't want to deny the developer his or her Jeff Gordon moment. Remember, next time....turn - the - channel....
"Turn the channel" is fitting when this building is a tube tv on a wooden stand. Okay, okay... I'll stop. Anyway, I think a huge component of this forum is our banter about design (The technical discussion from everyone, and permit updates from THE ATX are huge draws as well) but I love just talking about architecture with you guys. If some people want to use this space as a creative soundboard, dust off the keyboards, and get a little creative with words... So be it. Everyone needs an outlet. Not saying you're wrong THE ATX (This particular project has probably taken enough of a hit from all of us. We'll give 405 Colorado a break for a little while. Hey, did you guys hear about the pale yellow, 15-story parking garage slated for the Waller Park Place site? (A reminder that our imagination can come up with something far worse than this. Which I still contend is at least different from a glass box. At least the top is cool and the glass elevators are a nice touch).

Old Posted May 17, 2016, 8:11 PM

Quote:
A great quote master, and a shoot from the hip straight talker combo, I like that. You'd fit right in at that table also Tech House. If I could get a rise out of a 3 year lurker aka ATXPhil to come out and speak out against me and or us on his first post over a lampoon over a silly building and a few other disgreeable projects including a yellow arched bridge, then the reality is the thread does become more interesting because now we have drama mixed in with the contrasts of opinion and comedy. Who wouldn't want to log in just to see what happens next? For me personally, if I don't like what I'm reading, I just ignor and skip the post...turn the channel so to speak. This building was a joy to lampoon, and don't think for a minute the designers and developers are upset about their building getting talked about good or bad or give a shit what I think about it, so why should anyone else? I wonder if anyone's aware that constant praise can be equally annoying to those with opposite views? It would be great to see someone lampoon my lampoons by saying something witty and positive. We all have different tastes, case in point...my wife LOVES lima beans, I HATE lima beans, I don't get how anyone can eat the damn things and she doesn't get that I can' t stand them. I give her hell every time she makes them. She however has never called me a hater, or that I instigate hate by lobbying against them. We're still together for 33 years despite our total disagreement about lima beans, and black eyed peas.
NASCAR's Jeff Gordan once said he would rather hear the 'boo's' over silence during the driver's intro and parade.
I'm sticking with the Kelso comparison. I used to read Herb Caen all the time when I lived in SF. He was the only thing worth reading in the SF Chronicle. He was a master of alliteration and had a sharp pen, but there is something rather wry and home-spun about The General's commentary that reminds me of Kelso. Guess I need to check up on the Rome guy. I am not familiar with him.

Old Posted May 18, 2016, 8:17 AM
De Lurk Squad

My opinion extend the upper design to the ground. The top is attractive and the bottom is not.

Old Posted May 19, 2016, 12:07 AM
World Traveler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickelplate View Post
My opinion extend the upper design to the ground. The top is attractive and the bottom is not.
My opinion also. I know some folks respect the contrast - some even like it. That's fine for them, but I personally am still not a fan. If we have to have a half parking structure/half office building, I'd rather hide the parking structure 99% of the time.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 4:29 AM

Website is up: http://405colorado.com/

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 3:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
Hmm.. I wonder if they'll make the Sky Cafe and Lobby open to the public. That might be cool.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 3:56 PM

Too bad this wasn't planned to go where the One Two East project was.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 7:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul78701 View Post
Hmm.. I wonder if they'll make the Sky Cafe and Lobby open to the public. That might be cool.
Doesn't look like it. If you look on the website under the Sky Lounge section, then it shows everything as a tenant amenity...

Old Posted Jul 19, 2016, 9:33 PM
Honored Member

Quote:
Too bad this wasn't planned to go where the One Two East project was.
Brilliant! One Two: Two birds, One stone.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 10:09 PM

Brandywine Proposes 25-Storey Austin Tower

Quote:
One of the largest full-service real estate companies in the United States has proposed a 25-storey office tower at 405 Colorado Street in Austin. Brandywine Realty Trust and North Carolina-based Duda Paine Architects have envisioned a glassy edifice of angular planes perched atop a 12-storey parking structure clad in terra cotta tiling.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 10:25 PM
クラブトクヨ

This project is growing on me, its kind of interesting. You have to admit its a non-traditional approach at building a tower. Yes the garage is ugly, but wont that garage be highly valuable for after hour activity?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin