HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 12:33 AM
World Traveler

I can't recall if this was discussed way back when, though I'm sure it was. Looking at the photos over time, I guess I hadn't realized before that they're leaving Red River as a two-lane road. Is that the case for the long-term? It seems like the new construction wouldn't allow for expansion to the original four lanes.

Old Posted Apr 8, 2016, 1:38 PM

The Statesman had a cool time lapse of the demo and construction of one of the medical center buildings.

http://specials.mystatesman.com/dell..._1_rsmsaus.mp4

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 8:50 PM

nice, seeing the crane base move back in forth is interesting.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2016, 9:46 PM

Does anyone have any guesses on what the long-term expansion plans will look like for the hospital? It's only 211 beds, which is extraordinarily small. Where would a new tower go?

Old Posted Jun 21, 2016, 12:15 AM
Meh

The crane permit for the building says they're planning a 4-story expansion atop the existing tower for a total of 14 floors. I don't know how many beds that would be, though.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 6:46 AM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post
Does anyone have any guesses on what the long-term expansion plans will look like for the hospital? It's only 211 beds, which is extraordinarily small. Where would a new tower go?
It's not small. Brackenridge currently has 217 beds. 120 more beds for the Psychiatric Hospital once Brackenridge has been demolished.

Last edited by brando; Jun 22, 2016 at 7:08 AM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brando View Post
It's not small. Brackenridge currently has 217 beds. 120 more beds for the Psychiatric Hospital once Brackenridge has been demolished.
Just comparing it to some of the other public/regional hospitals:
Austin (Brakenridge: 244)
San Antonio (University Hospital: 400+?)
Dallas (Parkland: 831 beds; Baylor University Medical Center: 874)
Ft Worth (JPS: 517)
Houston (LBJ: 838, Ben Taub: 809)
Galveston (UTMB: 397)
Temple (Baylor-Scott&White: 638)

Note: Not sure of the actual breakdown of these beds. I'm just going based on what the American Medical Association provides.

Ultimately, the size really doesn't matter if the hospital isn't having problems taking care of the community. I just think that we'll be in a situation where the hospital needs to expand sooner rather than later.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post

Ultimately, the size really doesn't matter if the hospital isn't having problems taking care of the community. I just think that we'll be in a situation where the hospital needs to expand sooner rather than later.
I'm sure they factored in the trend towards more outpatient surgeries and procedures. Its far less expensive and potentially safer recovering at home, even with in home visits when warranted. Some major surgeries have become less envasive with small slit incisions, scopes and inflation techniques. The need for overnight stays is decreased and so is the need for mega bed hospitals. I thought the bed total seemed low until I talked to a few friends who recently had surgical procedures that were significantly more involved than minor, and was surprised they were released within 5 hours armed with pain meds and other medications. Many years ago, my appendectomy kept me in the hospital for 6 days (had some complications) and tonsillectomies were common and always at least an overnight stay. Pretty much unheard of these days. Where I see a potential lack of rooms is in the outpatient recovery area. A friend of mine is in need of exploratory surgery to investigate a possible blockage in her digestive system and the soonest she can get in is July 17th.
Used to be doctors would err on the side of caution and keep you in the hospital for longer stays, now with the ever insane increases in healthcare, and thankfully less invasive surgeries, that's becoming less and less of an option. Get 'em in, carve 'em up, send 'em home. Maybe that's a good thing.

Last edited by the Genral; Jun 22, 2016 at 4:36 PM.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 4:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the Genral View Post
now with the ever insane increases in healthcare, and thankfully less invasive surgeries,
and with hospital transmission of antibiotic resistant infections.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 4:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novacek View Post
and with hospital transmission of antibiotic resistant infections.
True dat. And research backs it. Its probably safer at home. And cheaper.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 5:38 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Well I can attest that the sooner they can get the patient home, the better. My mother had surgery for appendicitis last summer and then was sent home in about 5 days. She did have to go back for another surgery in January due to the surgeon not getting all the leakage out but that isn't on the hospital, it's the surgeons fault. She had to stay in the hospital a little longer because they wanted to monitor her so it was a week but she couldn't sleep much while staying there. Not only is she more comfortable at home she was able to sleep and was able to recover quickly once she was home.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 6:18 PM

To hopefully not change the subject too much, this is another argument for the city's push to make all new houses partially accessible (regardless of what you think about the government forcing it, it probably "makes sense" to do it). Even if you're not handicapped, the chances that an injury or surgery will have you doing an period of recovery and convalescence at home is increasing.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 6:41 PM

It's 140 beds for a 4 floor expansion on those footprints.

Old Posted Jun 22, 2016, 11:21 PM

I guess I always think of Seton Main with 422 beds and St. David's with 553 beds as our flagship hospitals in Austin. Never really considered Brack in that way.

Old Posted Jun 23, 2016, 2:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyPie View Post
I guess I always think of Seton Main with 422 beds and St. David's with 553 beds as our flagship hospitals in Austin. Never really considered Brack in that way.
Brack is the public-serving hospital for Austin. Even though it may not be a place you and I would venture to often, it a crucial element for the city. Throw in that it's going to be a L1 trauma center as well is pretty huge.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 1:20 AM

Explored the grounds while on my run last night. I really like the way it turned out.

Video Link

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 2:51 AM

Gotta give them props! The final outcome of the Medical Center looks a lot better.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 6:35 AM

The new hospital looks good! I was also surprised at its small size given Austin's expanding population. The posters above are correct that there is a trend towards more outpatient surgeries and a lot of pressure to reduce hospitalizations. But other trends point towards a need for larger hospitals: the population is growing and getting sicker and older. New treatments allow people with chronic conditions to live longer. Nationwide hospitalizations are going up, not down. Hospitals in Houston are adding more rooms. I hope the Dell Seton Medical Center has the ability to expand because it will probably be at full capacity in a couple of years if not sooner.

The medical district master plan indicates a future psychiatric hospital. This should be a high priority because psychiatric beds are difficult to come, especially in emergencies.

Why did Central Health, the Austin hospital district, contract with Seton to provide a safety net hospital instead of opening a true public hospital? Ben Taub and LBJ are run by Harris Health. University Hospital in San Antonio is run by their hospital district. Parkland is run by the Dallas hospital district. They are public institutions but Seton Brackenridge is private. The employees work for Seton, not Central Health. I would really appreciate if someone who is knowledgeable about Austin history could explain this.

Old Posted Dec 30, 2016, 5:43 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

One thing to keep in mind is that this is only the first phase of what will eventually grow into a larger med school. I'm pretty sure the hospital is capable of being expanded as most hospitals are.

Great pictures Syndic.

Old Posted Dec 31, 2016, 2:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geographer View Post
The new hospital looks good! I was also surprised at its small size given Austin's expanding population. The posters above are correct that there is a trend towards more outpatient surgeries and a lot of pressure to reduce hospitalizations. But other trends point towards a need for larger hospitals: the population is growing and getting sicker and older. New treatments allow people with chronic conditions to live longer. Nationwide hospitalizations are going up, not down. Hospitals in Houston are adding more rooms. I hope the Dell Seton Medical Center has the ability to expand because it will probably be at full capacity in a couple of years if not sooner.

The medical district master plan indicates a future psychiatric hospital. This should be a high priority because psychiatric beds are difficult to come, especially in emergencies.

Why did Central Health, the Austin hospital district, contract with Seton to provide a safety net hospital instead of opening a true public hospital? Ben Taub and LBJ are run by Harris Health. University Hospital in San Antonio is run by their hospital district. Parkland is run by the Dallas hospital district. They are public institutions but Seton Brackenridge is private. The employees work for Seton, not Central Health. I would really appreciate if someone who is knowledgeable about Austin history could explain this.
I don't know the exact contract relationships, but Brackenridge Hospital used to be owned by the City of Austin, and it provided indigent care for the community. The City wanted to get out of the business of operating a hospital, so it leased the facility to Seton. Central Health was formed, in part, for the purpose of supporting the new medical school. As part of that deal, Brackenridge was transferred to Central Health, and Seton's operating lease was transferred to the new medical school. Central Health is now in the process of redeveloping the Brackenridge site for private innovation development that will compliment the medical school and financially support Central Health's indigent care programs that will now be provided by the medical school.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin