HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 3, 2019, 8:51 PM
Aimless Wanderer

I think 50 of Toronto's 96 homicides were by gunshot. Keep in mind, 10 of them were committed at one time by the van attack.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 11:51 AM
cle/west village/shaolin

CLEVELAND, Ohio — The trio shot and killed outside a New Year’s Eve party at an AirBnB happened just 15 minutes before the clock struck midnight. That closed out the year on homicides in Cleveland at one fewer than 2017.

Cleveland had 129 homicides in 2018, according to records from the Cuyahoga County Medical Examiner and Cleveland police. By comparison, it had 130 in 2017 and 136 in 2016.

The city has topped 100 homicides in each of the last seven years, the first time that’s happened since a 42-year stretch ending in 1996.

Of the 129 homicides, 114 died as a result of gunfire, according to the medical examiner and police records.

more:
https://www.cleveland.com/expo/news/...cleveland.html

Old Posted Jan 4, 2019, 3:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnyc View Post
^ not to mention the quality of the murders themselves. they are probably more stabby in the canadian states and more gunny in the lower states.
Toronto was very gunny this year. Lots of targeted gang violence, and in places that you wouldn't normally expect.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 3:00 PM

Numbers are off by a bit

NYC population - 8.64 million (2018) which puts them at 3.35/100k
Toronto population - 2.93 million (2018) which puts them at 3.28/100k

Toronto had 51 murders by gun out of 96. They also had 424 shootings with 604 victims in total.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 3:08 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

St. Louis City:

2018 2017 2016 2015 2014
186 205 188 188 159

down a little bit from 2017 but still elevated as compared to recent history. apologies for the formatting, read down.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 4:19 PM

^ Yikes that’s really high for a population of only 308,000. Good to see a decrease though.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 4:26 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BG918 View Post
^ Yikes that’s really high for a population of only 308,000. Good to see a decrease though.
kansas city also had 135 mostly in an urban core of less than 200,000. i once calculated the population of the actual urban core of kc and the murder rate was on par with st. louis. neither metro however is typically regarded as a top violent crime metro area unlike memphis (which can water down crime stats with the large core population). the murder COUNT though (heavily correlated with drug trafficking in specific areas) is stunningly high.

Old Posted Jan 5, 2019, 4:44 PM
Pay it Forward

Total for Bay Area's 15 Largest Cities:
(Population approx. 4,000,000)
2016: 255
2017: 234
2018: 191

"Two roads diverged in a wood, and I—I took the one less traveled by, And that has made all the difference."-Robert Frost

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 11:22 AM

There were sadly 132 homicides across London in 2018. List of victims here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-46128268 including an interactive map of homicides across the London Boroughs on a week-by-week, broken down by means of death. The much-reported spike early in the year is clearly visible, before a sense of normality returned.

Population of c. 8.9mn in mid-2018 which works out to a rate of 1.48

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Single parenthood was low in America pre-1960, then it exploded and within 20 years you have 75% and 25% of black and white babies being born with no father present.
But crime has plummeted as single parenthood has risen. Single parenthood has never been higher than today, so how do you explain the historic drops in crime. Single parenthood was still rare in the 60's when crime exploded.

Also, single parenthood does not mean "no father" (or male) present.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 12:41 PM

Columbus had 103 homicides for 2018, compared to a record 143 last year. Hopefully the downward trend continues.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
But crime has plummeted as single parenthood has risen. Single parenthood has never been higher than today, so how do you explain the historic drops in crime. Single parenthood was still rare in the 60's when crime exploded.

Also, single parenthood does not mean "no father" (or male) present.
I made that clear in one of my first posts that even with the modern world, where a couple may opt to not marry, single parenthood is quite high.

As to your first point, there has been a lot of research to figure out why our crime went down so much. Some of it is because we simply locked up so many people but I don't think that is sufficient enough, at all.

My point still stands, look up studies where they controlled for single-parenthood. If you look at black vs white crime rates the differences almost disappear when you control for single parenthood. I think like 27 of the 30 largest mass shootings in America were from kids who were raised by one parent. The numbers don't lie, look at juvenile criminal stats, most of those kids are from single parented families.

There is no surprise here either. Zero. Two parents mean two eyes on the kid. Two incomes. Two people who come together to give information on how to be proper to their kids. Especially young boys, they need a father figure to emulate. This isn't to take away from kids raised by grandparents or by gay parents, not at all. But it is to say that two parents are better than one. Hell, I think having a network of family is best.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 3:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
I made that clear in one of my first posts that even with the modern world, where a couple may opt to not marry, single parenthood is quite high.

As to your first point, there has been a lot of research to figure out why our crime went down so much. Some of it is because we simply locked up so many people but I don't think that is sufficient enough, at all.

My point still stands, look up studies where they controlled for single-parenthood. If you look at black vs white crime rates the differences almost disappear when you control for single parenthood. I think like 27 of the 30 largest mass shootings in America were from kids who were raised by one parent. The numbers don't lie, look at juvenile criminal stats, most of those kids are from single parented families.

There is no surprise here either. Zero. Two parents mean two eyes on the kid. Two incomes. Two people who come together to give information on how to be proper to their kids. Especially young boys, they need a father figure to emulate. This isn't to take away from kids raised by grandparents or by gay parents, not at all. But it is to say that two parents are better than one. Hell, I think having a network of family is best.
Quote:
Especially young boys, they need a father figure to emulate. This isn't to take away from kids raised by grandparents or by gay parents, not at all.
Especially true with two gay men as parents. Then young boys have two father figures, not just one.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 4:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by suburbanite View Post
Toronto was very gunny this year. Lots of targeted gang violence, and in places that you wouldn't normally expect.
Considering Toronto's demographics, whites and Asians have a lot more murders compared to NYC.
Are there white/Asian hoods in Toronto?

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 5:03 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Considering Toronto's demographics, whites and Asians have a lot more murders compared to NYC.
It's unclear to me what you're saying or asking here.

In Toronto, relative to population a highly disproportionate share of the murders involve the city's black male population (both victims and perpetrators), generally of Afro-Caribbean origin but with an increasing share from sub-Saharan Africa, especially eastern Africa (think places like Somalia).

Murder rates for the city's white and Asian (east or south) populations are quite low, and their share is not in any way as disproportionate to their percentage of the population.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gantz View Post
Here's a list outlining each victim:

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...-homicide.html

Almost all of the Asian homicide victims were from the van attack that occurred earlier in the year. It wasn't racially targeted, but North York has a very large Asian population.

After that, apart from a few more Middle Eastern names, the list doesn't look that different from what I imagine Cleveland or somewhere similar would look like.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 7:40 PM
Aimless Wanderer

Yeah, most of the Asian Victims of the van attack were Koreans since the attack occurred in a heavily Korean residential and business district in North York Centre.

Toronto recorded its first homicide of 2019 yesterday.

Old Posted Jan 7, 2019, 8:22 PM
Inveterate Angeleno

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
City of LA as of 12/29/18

2018 - 258
2017 - 281
2016 - 294

Down 8.2% and 12.2% respectively

Total violent crime down 3.4% from 2017 and up 1.2% from 2016

I believe LA Sheriff had a similar drop in homicides and total crime.

Good news all around
The LA Times’ Homicide Report allows you to exclude officer-involved homicides, which would bring the total down to 251.

http://homicide.latimes.com/neighbor...alse/year/2018

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 3:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
It's unclear to me what you're saying or asking here.

In Toronto, relative to population a highly disproportionate share of the murders involve the city's black male population (both victims and perpetrators), generally of Afro-Caribbean origin but with an increasing share from sub-Saharan Africa, especially eastern Africa (think places like Somalia).

Murder rates for the city's white and Asian (east or south) populations are quite low, and their share is not in any way as disproportionate to their percentage of the population.
All I was saying is that Toronto and NYC having similar murder rates, despite different demographics, would make Toronto's white and Asian populations probably have more murders. Toronto's black population is tiny in proportion compared to NYC. (Toronto is like 8% black and NYC is like 23% black). NYC has a lot of black and Hispanic folks.
However, if my first assumption is not the case, it also could be that NYC's black people are better integrated and a lot less violent compared to Toronto.

Old Posted Jan 9, 2019, 7:13 PM

Miami had its lowest homicide total since records starting being kept in 1967. There were only 51 homicides last year compared to the ~300 in the 1980s when the population was smaller than today.
2018: 51
2017: 59

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions