HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 4:04 AM

"Original c.1970 Slide, Hollywood, Los Angeles Street Scene, Coffee Dan's Shop."

Ebay

I believe this is one of the best views of the Coffee Dan's sign that we have seen on nla.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 5:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post

"1st Annual running - walking race of Los Angeles waiters. ...No.4, Steve Apolla (or APOLLO) won.

_________________________________GO STEVE GO!

I'm calling a steward's inquiry on Steve. How can he be the winner? He's lost the glass off his tray unlike most of the other runners ... and there's a hint of suspicion he might be gripping that bottle.

Number 53 deserves to win - the only one adhering to the classic tray carrying style.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 5:35 AM

Quote:
"Original c.1970 Slide, Hollywood, Los Angeles Street Scene, Coffee Dan's Shop."

Ebay

I believe this is one of the best views of the Coffee Dan's sign that we have seen on nla.

The Hollywood Theatre's marquee is pretty blocked, but I'm quite sure that the theatre is playing "On Her Majesty's Secret Service" which opened on December 19, 1969. So the slide could have been taken as early as that date, or into 1970.

Is that a "Gruen" clock on the left side?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 12:10 PM

Quote:
This is odd interesting.

Ebay

It doesn't say, but....I believe the large building in the background is the old Grand Union Station.

This was the SP's Central Station, in use from 1914 until Union Station opened in 1939.... Central Ave at about 5th St

Those Xs in your shot having something to do with the streetcars--we've seen them before on NLA, but did anyone ever figure out their purpose?

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
This was the SP's Central Station, in use from 1914 until Union Station opened in 1939.... Central Ave at about 5th St
oops. I appreciate the correction, GW.

kcet A history of ALL the stations at this one link.

The abandoned Central Station in 1956.

Congratulations everyone, for working together and solving the elusive watertower's location.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 5:26 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lwize View Post
For this Mystery, I'm going with Smart & Final at 12210 Santa Monica Blvd, LA 90025:

(GSV, hosted by me)

Notice the red circle, which matches the building to the left. And I believe the Thriftymart sign is now the Smart & Final sign.

The photo is taken from the backside of the property (W Ohio Ave, not Santa Monica Blvd).
Thank you Bill in Glendale for informing us that its the Oleander bushes that are missing from the scene. I don't know what to call that area next to the wall. It did have grass but now its a brown color.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 7:53 PM
History Detective

D Day 1944 Los Angeles California

June 6, 1944, news of the Allied invasion of France arrived in Los Angeles. Residents responded with prayer and a renewed sense of purpose.

Credit LA Times

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 9:24 PM

This edition was a couple days later...

I can't believe what I'm about to write about was 25 years ago! On the 50th Anniversary of D-Day in 1994 I attended an AMPAS program at their Samuel Goldwyn Theater hosted by Bob Hope. A film historian showed how Hollywood depicted the events of WWII, with an emphasis on D-Day, using several various films and clips from the films, and some people reminisced about their experiences in Los Angeles and how they came to know of these events working in Hollywood. I remember that Robert Stack was one of the participants.

Bob Hope talked about what it was like working that day at all of the radio stations in Hollywood, particularly along Vine Street, where everyone was following the news happening such a long ways away. Remember, while there was talk of an invasion, no one knew when or where it was to happen and while all this was going on the people at the time had no idea what the outcome would be for a long time and many knew of those participating in the invasion, while servicemen on leave in Los Angeles were all called back to their bases and such while everything was being assessed.

Also, a soldier was present who had been involved in the D-Day event and he related some of his experiences. The man, in a wheelchair, happened to be pretty feeble and meandering, but Bob Hope helped him along when he began rambling, a bit incoherently. (Something I learned later on...actor Charles Durning served in Normandy on D-Day. I spoke to him once when they had a screening of The Sting at AMPAS, and I didn't really know if I should bring that up or not.)

Some info below is taken from:
https://blogs.loc.gov/now-see-hear/2...season-finale/

Being Los Angeles was 8 or more hours behind the events taking place, people in the city began hearing about it the night before in the late hours, so many were up all night listening to the radio reports. On the evening of June 6, 1944, Bob Hope was to do the finale of his "Pepsodent Show's" sixth season. As he had for much of the previous three seasons, Bob would broadcast this show from a United States military base, which in this case was Van Nuys Army Airfield, where P-38 fighter pilots received training.

A photo of the airfield:

MilitaryMuseum.org

With the news from abroad, the show had to be entirely revamped. This is Hope's opening monologue for that evening's radio show:

“Folks, this is Bob Hope speaking from a P-38 air field near Van Nuys, California. We’ve looked forward to being with these men, and doing our regular show here, but of course nobody feels like getting up and being funny on a night like this. But we did want to go through with our plans and visit these fellows because these are the same kind of boys that are flying those eleven thousand planes in our big effort. What’s happened during these last few hours not one of us will ever forget. How could you forget? You sat up all night by the radio and heard the bulletins, the flashes, the voices coming across from England, the commentators, the pilots returning from their greatest of all missions…newsboys yelling on the street…and it seemed that one world was ending and a new world beginning…that history was closing one book and opening a new one, and somehow we knew it had to be a better one.”

The singers sang appropriate songs and the entire cast then led the USAF audience in singing the “Air Corps Song” (aka “Off we go into the wild blue yonder”…). After some brief closing remarks from Hope, the show ended with a new version of Hope’s theme song:

“Thanks for the memory
Of D-Day over there
On land, on sea, in air,
Our boys tonight defending right of freedom everywhere
And we thank them so much.”

Last edited by Martin Pal; Jun 6, 2019 at 10:09 PM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post

pinterest

Thanks Bill

Yes, Glendora is the local land of Bougainvillea. This thorny ornamental plant is native to South America. Its an import to CA.
Some would say the Bougainvillea is a beautiful plant.
Others, who might happen to live downwind of one and have to sweep up the annoying little leaves that blow onto his property year-round would say with they are a nuisance.
Any guesses as to which camp I am in?

Last edited by Bristolian; Jun 7, 2019 at 1:34 AM.

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 10:54 PM
MichaelTollesonArchitect

I would be pleased to answer questions related to Ronda Vista.
Michael Tolleson, Architect
michael@michaeltolleson.commichaelto...m/Views/22.jpg

Old Posted Jun 6, 2019, 10:55 PM

And those who have known Bougainvilleas intimately think of their lengthy stickers which prove so engaging when pruning the plants . . .

https://www.flickr.com/photos/claire...on/12860172154

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 1:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
And those who have known Bougainvilleas intimately think of their lengthy stickers which prove so engaging when pruning the plants . . .

We have a potted Bougainvillea that I water and feed regularly and it hardly blooms. In fact it looks kind of scrawny. I know the pot is more than big enough. But at least I don't have to worry about annoying my neighbors with windblown flowers!

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 2:44 AM

A publicity shot of my Great Uncle Bert Rovere of the Paris Inn and some of the waiters who took part.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 2:46 AM

[IMG]SCAN0404 by Rick Rovere, on Flickr[/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 3:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelTolleson View Post
I would be pleased to answer questions related to Ronda Vista.
Michael Tolleson, Architect
michael@michaeltolleson.commichaelto...m/Views/22.jpg
I..guess...you..read..what..we...said about...your...h o u s e. ...

GSV

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 3:48 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post

Your photo is metaphorical in about 1000 anthropomorphic ways. Thank you for uploading it.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Jun 7, 2019 at 11:09 AM.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 4:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Now let's back up the google-mobile and take a look at the 'monstrosity' that Bill mentioned.

And look at all the ungainly utility wires tethered to it! (after looking more closely / half of the wires are for the neighbors)

__
If nice people lived in that tall house, I wouldn't mind. It all depends.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post

Those Xs in your shot having something to do with the streetcars--we've seen them before on NLA, but did anyone ever figure out their purpose?

They were railroad grade crossing warning signs employed where the surroundings favored hanging such from overhead wires rather than via the usual pole-based method. Alameda St. was the SP mainline through DTLA until Union Station was opened in 1939, so there was plenty of heavy railroading going on in the midst of the streetcar and auto traffic through this intersection.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 7:25 AM

A brief return to the Mount Olivet Reservoir water tower on Franklin Street.

Remnants of the bases of the supporting legs appear to be still there on the ground. This fortunate circumstance greatly enabled the following reconstruction.

Google Maps

Old Posted Jun 7, 2019, 8:34 AM

Interseting Brew 102 story in LAT

https://www.latimes.com/archives/la-...ry9-story.html

Brew 102 has been mentioned in several posts in recent days. Besides describing a fatal incident of men digging for old beer cans and bottles, the story from 2005 linked above goes into the history of the brew. It was the 102nd brew that they liked & kept supposedly--hate to think of what the earlier brews were like if the 102nd was the best! The brew was owned by Maier Brewing. The brewery was located near the original site of the native settlement "Yang-Na" where the el aliso sycamore was once located. Does aliso mean sycamore in espanol?

"More than 100 brews did we brew,
Perfecting the new finer Brew 102.
In the East and West,
Maier Beer is the best.
Wonderful, wonderful Brew 102"

Brew 102 went defunct in 1972, but is fondly (or maybe not so fondly) remembered by old timers. It was cheap anyway--a six pack for a bit over a dollar. Proximity of the brewery to the L.A. River led to jokes about the source of the H2O. I found it to be satisfactory with a sandwich. People still collect the old cans & bottles--check out ebay etc.

Last edited by CaliNative; Jun 8, 2019 at 5:05 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos