HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
I'm not into B AND BW either- it was always the place that went in at malls too downscale for a Body Shop.
If you have a Mrs, I highly recommend getting into Bath and Body Works, especially if she likes fragrances. Getting to know the store (or anywhere where she shops for fragrance type stuff) will help prevent your bathroom from getting to girly-girly. This also helps prevent workplace embarassment - you won't show up at work sporting the latest perfume-y scents just from washing your hands.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 5:02 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Just find someone who is mostly fragrance-intolerant. Win-win!

B&BW does tend to have some less offensive stuff compared to its competition. I can't even walk by a Body Shop these days without gagging, and Lush... don't get me started on the air pollution that is that place. I'd rather have smoking allowed in malls than places like Lush.

Old Posted Mar 21, 2011, 11:54 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cage View Post
If you have a Mrs
Somebody don't know me very well.

Old Posted Mar 22, 2011, 4:33 AM

i like the candles and fragrance oils at BBW but thats about it

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 12:51 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

So I went to The Source this weekend, at Northhill mall, to get a tape adapter for my car (15 yr old car/car radio + blackberry = tape adapter).

So I called ahead to make sure they sold them, and was told "Yes we sure do, and you're lucky the're 1/2 price!" I had just got one at Futureshop for $18 but it sucked so I was looking forward to a $10 deal.

So I get there, and I had probably stepped 2 steps into the store and immediately a gentleman was there "Is there anything I can help you with?" and I was thinking hmm unusually quick service. I tell him, and he leads me to the item, that is on sale for the great 1/2 price cost of... $18. Apparently regular $36, so I'm thinking this is a bit of a ripoff, but it's the same price as FS so whatever.

Then it begins.

"Can I interest you in a 15 pack of AA batteries?"

"no"

I get the to the till

"Can I interest you in a 3 year replacement warranty on this item?"

"no"

"sometimes the wires get kinked and the replacement warr..."

"no thanks"

"If you got the replacement warranty then you'd be eligible for 2 replacements over the 3 year peri..."

"no".

I pay

"Do you have an email address? We can send you offers and deals and promotions"

"no"

"Can I interest you in some monitor wipes which are on sale for half price"

"no"

Then I'm walking out

"Do you happen to have a cell phone?"

"yes, my work pays for it al"

"Do you have any interest in a home cell plan"

"no"

Then I left.

I thought I was in some movie, I have never experience anything like it.
The guy's 70s stache and good robotic humour every time I said no was utter bizarre.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 5:40 AM
Home of Hyperchange

1. Websites. Do your research first because these stores are notorious for lying/flexing the truth. I actually find the Source's website to be one of the best out there, they not only have accurate indications of "in stock", they actually tell you how many. And it's damned accurate - I've compared a half dozen small quantity items at a time, and yup, the website inventory is bang on what I find in the store. Very handy for those last-minute electronics projects (amazingly, they still sell a few things in that vein).

2. What you describe sounds exactly like what I get every single time I go to Future Shop or Best Buy (plus a hundred other places these days). My favourite is when I'm at the counter, and the cute girl working their asks for my phone #. They never tell you WHY, they just say "can I get your phone #?". I'm getting pretty good on the "howabout I get yours and call you first" type of comeback. Most of them just stare in shock.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 5:58 AM
My Spoon Is Too Big

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeweed View Post
1. Websites. Do your research first because these stores are notorious for lying/flexing the truth. I actually find the Source's website to be one of the best out there, they not only have accurate indications of "in stock", they actually tell you how many. And it's damned accurate - I've compared a half dozen small quantity items at a time, and yup, the website inventory is bang on what I find in the store. Very handy for those last-minute electronics projects (amazingly, they still sell a few things in that vein).

2. What you describe sounds exactly like what I get every single time I go to Future Shop or Best Buy (plus a hundred other places these days). My favourite is when I'm at the counter, and the cute girl working their asks for my phone #. They never tell you WHY, they just say "can I get your phone #?". I'm getting pretty good on the "howabout I get yours and call you first" type of comeback. Most of them just stare in shock.
Yeah unfortunately I had just gone to Futureshop and bought an adapter that kept getting rejected by my deck, so I just called the source, otherwise I would have checked the website.

I remember Futureshop sales people being a bit much back in the day, they don't seem as bad now, but this was over the top, he was seriously like a robot with a perma almost-smile and 70s stache... he basically seemed like it was his first day on the job, after finally moving out of his mom's basement (he was probably 45).

I kind of want to go back now, just for fun.

<buy a cell phone car charger>

"can I interest you in a walkie talkie?"

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 5:18 PM

Quote:
I'm getting pretty good on the "howabout I get yours and call you first" type of comeback. Most of them just stare in shock.
Then they immediately text their girlfriends... "like this creepy old guy just like asked me for my number and stuff, gross!"

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 5:46 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay in Cowtown View Post
Then they immediately text their girlfriends... "like this creepy old guy just like asked me for my number and stuff, gross!"
Absolutely. I get "creepy old guy" stare plenty, which is why I do it.

Actually, one time I did in fact say something like "I think I'm a bit old for you". Mostly got a blank stare on that one.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 6:36 PM
Construction Enthusiast

Lowe's on Sunridge is having a contractor day on Apr 25, its opening must be sometime around then.

Old Posted Mar 28, 2011, 7:36 PM

Quote:
Absolutely. I get "creepy old guy" stare plenty, which is why I do it.

Actually, one time I did in fact say something like "I think I'm a bit old for you". Mostly got a blank stare on that one.
If I get asked what type of dog I have when I'm buying food, I always tell them that it's for my Grandma. I then ask what's wrong with that, as it's a premium brand.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2011, 11:15 PM

Express is hiring for Calgary - they don;t say where - anyone know?

Quote:
District Manager- Calgary/Edmonton, Alberta

Posting Date: 03/22/11
Job Number: 2359429

"Today, Express (NYSE: EXPR) is one of the largest speciality retail apparel brands in the United States." The Company has 30 years of experience offering a distinct combination of fashion and quality for multiple lifestyle occasions at an attractive value. Express operates more than 560 retail outlets in high-traffic shopping malls, lifestyle centers and street locations across the United States.
http://www.express.com

damn vancouver's limited spots for retailers we never get the stores here

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 3:58 AM
Realtor

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Express is hiring for Calgary - they don;t say where - anyone know?

http://www.express.com

damn vancouver's limited spots for retailers we never get the stores here
Limited Brands has an interest in Express, so I'm thinking they will open a few stores in Canada. The one in Calgary probably would be in Chinook I guess...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 3:59 AM
Realtor

Has anyone heard anything further about the Apple store opening in The CORE?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 7:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AB Born View Post
Has anyone heard anything further about the Apple store opening in The CORE?
Haven't seen any job postings yet, so my guess is fall opening.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 5:57 PM
Home of Hyperchange

Some new store called "Target Apparel" opened recently in Northland. I wonder how long it will be until the lawsuits fly (and in which direction).

Old Posted Mar 31, 2011, 7:05 PM

the guy who owns Target Apparel is suing Target USA for over $200 million - he has owned the target name for 10 years in canada and target USA announces they wanna open here and all of a sudden he starts to open stores under that banner - hmmm

anyway its the same owner has all those crappy stores found in malls like randy river, fairweather and the clothes at target apparel are the worst crappiest stuff ever

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 2:30 PM
Home of Hyperchange

The times I wish I had a camera...

Holt Renfrew had a window display recently with the slogan (and I'm paraphrasing) "All I need to survive the winter is...". And behind the windows, they had things like Bordeaux wine, or a fancy handbag, or some such other frivolous nonsense.

The window display closed recently but the slogan was left on the glass until it could be scraped off. Some clever person then put up 3 paper signs:

Food
Clothing
Shelter

I laughed, and laughed, and laughed.

I'm probably explaining it horribly and getting the wording very wrong. Wish I had a camera. It was one of the best pieces of social commentary I've ever seen. What better place than the pinnacle of human excess in this city?

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 6:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
anyway its the same owner has all those crappy stores found in malls like randy river, fairweather and the clothes at target apparel are the worst crappiest stuff ever
That's one of the best things about the American retail invasion... it'll weed out shit stores like the ones you mentioned!

Old Posted Apr 1, 2011, 9:04 PM

Quote:
The times I wish I had a camera...

Holt Renfrew had a window display recently with the slogan (and I'm paraphrasing) "All I need to survive the winter is...". And behind the windows, they had things like Bordeaux wine, or a fancy handbag, or some such other frivolous nonsense.

The window display closed recently but the slogan was left on the glass until it could be scraped off. Some clever person then put up 3 paper signs:

Food
Clothing
Shelter

I laughed, and laughed, and laughed.

I'm probably explaining it horribly and getting the wording very wrong. Wish I had a camera. It was one of the best pieces of social commentary I've ever seen. What better place than the pinnacle of human excess in this city?

That's a good one.

During G8 someone spray painted "Your Children are the Canaries in the Coal Mine on top of the ATB dome on 7th ave. I managed to get a shot of it but accidently deleted it.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy