HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy

Old Posted May 24, 2013, 12:47 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by cityscape_enthusiast View Post
I believe it's that new place "local" that just opened up in the old Dakota's space. Rumoured to be owned and operated by the same people who own Joey Tomatoes from what I've heard.
So is this new rumored Joey's on Stephen just the new Local restaurant, or is there also an actual Joey's opening?

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 5:54 PM
Littering and............

Noticed a new bar/pub up in the Royal Oak development behind the Shoppers. Not open yet but hiring. I don't recall the name. Anyone know it?

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 6:45 PM
not a NIMBY

Calgary is getting a night market in Inglewood on 10th St.
6 pm to midnight, on the second Friday of the summer months -
June (14th), July (12th), August (9th), and September (13th).
Street food
Live music
Truck sale
Artist market

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 6:51 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Street food
Live music
Truck sale
Artist market
Cool, but not sure that Inglewood has the residential density to support something like this. Would be a better fit in the beltline IMO.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 7:30 PM
not a NIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reesonov View Post
Cool, but not sure that Inglewood has the residential density to support something like this. Would be a better fit in the beltline IMO.
Tomkins Park would be a great location for a night market in the Beltline, but I doubt the Uptown 17th BRZ would support the idea.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 7:51 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Street food
Live music
Truck sale
Artist market
Quote:
I love Inglwood. I just wish it was bigger. It is hard to be a really vibrant community with a local population of 5500 (Inglewood and Ramsay combined. Once the SE LRT and the SE 17 Transitway/eventual LRT are built, Inglewood would benefit from the added commuter traffic that can stop by on the way home easier.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 8:11 PM
IMHO

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I love Inglwood. I just wish it was bigger. It is hard to be a really vibrant community with a local population of 5500 (Inglewood and Ramsay combined. Once the SE LRT and the SE 17 Transitway/eventual LRT are built, Inglewood would benefit from the added commuter traffic that can stop by on the way home easier.
Inglwood's division by the railway and Blackfoot really hurt the overall cohesiveness of the neighborhood. OTHO, the obvious breaks of river, rail, and industrial really give the area a sense of place. It's turning into a nice character neighborhood. The area north of 9th Ave is a real gem in Calgary, outside of some questionable style and quality levels in the redeveloped east side along the Edmonton rail line.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 8:41 PM
BANNED

Personally, I'd prefer a night market in a place like Stephen Ave, Mission, 1street SW, or even the new Riverwalk plaza in East Village. Good on Inglewood though. Probably bring some new faces to the neighborhood that otherwise wouldn't have thought of going. I'll have to check it out at least once.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 8:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
Inglwood's division by the railway and Blackfoot really hurt the overall cohesiveness of the neighborhood. OTHO, the obvious breaks of river, rail, and industrial really give the area a sense of place. It's turning into a nice character neighborhood. The area north of 9th Ave is a real gem in Calgary, outside of some questionable style and quality levels in the redeveloped east side along the Edmonton rail line.
Can't speak of Inglewood, but I love how the river and railway isolates Ramsay. Being somewhat isolated makes living in Ramsay seem like living in a small village. A village without a market, but a village nevertheless.

Old Posted May 27, 2013, 8:56 PM
Khan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Personally, I'd prefer a night market in a place like Stephen Ave, Mission, 1street SW, or even the new Riverwalk plaza in East Village. Good on Inglewood though. Probably bring some new faces to the neighborhood that otherwise wouldn't have thought of going. I'll have to check it out at least once.
Chinatown seems like the obvious place for a Hong Kong-style night market.
With coarse rice to eat, with water to drink, and my bended arm for a pillow - I have still joy in the midst of these things. Riches and honors acquired by unrighteousness are to me as a floating cloud.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kap384 View Post
Noticed a new bar/pub up in the Royal Oak development behind the Shoppers. Not open yet but hiring. I don't recall the name. Anyone know it?
Might that be the new Cactus Club? Or maybe OJ's (I think I heard about them opening up there)?

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Agreed... add in some Asian street food and this would be money.

Old Posted May 28, 2013, 6:58 PM
Inflatable Hippo

Night Markets all tend to suffer the same fate, the RCMP shows up and confiscates practically everything except for the deep fried wontons.

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 4:51 AM

its all about the food anyway or iphone covers - the night market in richmond is about 90% iphone covers so you just go for the food haha

--------

Luxury retail

CALGARY HERALD MAY 28, 2013

Jay de Nance

The Calgary retail landscape is continually evolving with the introduction of many shopping venues across the city. Calgary’s savvy retail real estate developers are focused on creating unique retail environments.

In southwest Calgary, the 85th Street commercial corridor is surrounded by the affluent communities of Aspen, Renfrew, Springbank and Westhills which have been a hot bed for these new retail developments.

The residential districts of southwest Calgary boast strong household income level and attractive demographics to retailers and food service establishments. There are four new mixed-use developments either under construction or in the final planning stages in this quadrant.

The 85th Street corridor will see an increase of approximately 160,000 square feet of retail and office space set for completion in the next 12 months. Retailers with quality product offerings are thriving in these areas, such as the Global Pet Foods brand (3114, 851 – 8A Avenue S.W.).

Global Pet Foods offers a unique line of natural, organic and homeopathic pet food, and is in the top of its category for quality and value.

Chinook Centre has become a hot bed for international retail brands with product offerings focused on luxury and fashion. American retail icon Nordstrom’s will introduce its 140,000-square-foot store on two levels located at Chinook Centre in the fall of 2014.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/fa...#ixzz2UecMNoNC

Old Posted May 29, 2013, 5:10 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by artvandelay View Post
Agreed... add in some Asian street food and this would be money.
Perhaps the above could work even better if it was the full compliment of Asians (IE including the South Asians, which comprise the largest visible minority in Canada and in Calgary). Of course, China Town may not be large enough??

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 1:39 AM
Great White Norf

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpongeG View Post
Luxury retail

CALGARY HERALD MAY 28, 2013

Jay de Nance

The Calgary retail landscape is continually evolving with the introduction of many shopping venues across the city. Calgary’s savvy retail real estate developers are focused on creating unique retail environments.

In southwest Calgary, the 85th Street commercial corridor is surrounded by the affluent communities of Aspen, Renfrew, Springbank and Westhills which have been a hot bed for these new retail developments.

Read more: http://www.calgaryherald.com/life/fa...#ixzz2UecMNoNC
uhhh I live in Renfrew. pretty sure we're inner city NE, just above Bridgeland

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 4:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WIGS View Post
uhhh I live in Renfrew. pretty sure we're inner city NE, just above Bridgeland
I think the article meant to say Wentworth. They are almost the same

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 4:34 PM

And there is no actual community called Westhills...

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 4:45 PM

I think that was the worst-written article I've ever seen in the Herald.

Old Posted May 30, 2013, 6:44 PM
not a NIMBY

The Box by No Frills (part of Bob Loblaw's empire!) is opening Friday at 10233 Elbow Dr where Planet Organic is and where KMart and Safeway used to be.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Calgary Issues, Business, Politics & the Economy