HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Interesting, surprising (and sad) to see no transit projects at all in the top 10. I wonder if there was any mention of commuter rail in the report. Once we've 4 laned Deerfoot that's it, we're essentially maxed out on road capacity heading from Airdrie to downtown Calgary.
If the list contains 160 projects I'd be surprised if commuter rail wasn't mentioned. Building a Hyperloop is probably on the list as well.

It's weird that the Calgary Herald is only mentioning this story now when it was in the news nearly two weeks ago. What I heard back then is that this is primarily economic driven which makes given that the area is a huge distribution hub. Building more interchanges and expanding road capacity is what we need to be doing to keep the advantages we have and attract new business. If the region is supposed to gain 650K new residents in the next 20 years transit projects will be built. As Accord1999 pointed out, the top rated project so much higher than the others because that road will help to tie Airdrie into the Green Line.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Pretty sure that would be impossible to administer. There is a reason for people to do as you say - financial. I personally think the commute time is a terrible trade off but if the choice is to live in Seton or Airdrie you might as well go for the bigger house in Airdrie.
The majority of people who live in Airdrie don't work in Calgary let alone downtown Calgary. Lots of Calgarians work in Rocky View County so they would just tax them in retaliation. We need a lot more places like Airdrie and Okotoks around here to help keep Calgary city council in check and to make the city more competitive.

Old Posted May 18, 2019, 11:55 PM

It's kind of frustrating that we get teased with a few details of these reports and then they get hidden away. Same with the Deerfoot report, when are we going to see that? What they told us was enough to get interested but then no actual flesh on the bone to see what was actually going to happen.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 2:08 AM

Quote:
It's kind of frustrating that we get teased with a few details of these reports and then they get hidden away. Same with the Deerfoot report, when are we going to see that? What they told us was enough to get interested but then no actual flesh on the bone to see what was actually going to happen.
When enough money is made available to do some of this stuff the reports will appear. I'd like to see them now to ensure that we don't get revised versions later.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 2:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corndogger View Post
The majority of people who live in Airdrie don't work in Calgary let alone downtown Calgary. Lots of Calgarians work in Rocky View County so they would just tax them in retaliation. We need a lot more places like Airdrie and Okotoks around here to help keep Calgary city council in check and to make the city more competitive.
I wouldn't use Airdrie as an example. For a $450,000 home an Airdrie resident will pay almost $4,000 more in property taxes annually than a Calgary resident. It's actually funny how many people move to Airdrie because of the "cheaper homes" but pay the difference and more within the first 5 years of ownership due to property taxes that they never bothered to look in to.

https://www.airdrie.ca/index.cfm?serviceID=1126

https://www.calgary.ca/PDA/Assessmen...alculator.aspx

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 2:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outoftheice View Post
I wouldn't use Airdrie as an example. For a $450,000 home an Airdrie resident will pay almost $4,000 more in property taxes annually than a Calgary resident. It's actually funny how many people move to Airdrie because of the "cheaper homes" but pay the difference and more within the first 5 years of ownership due to property taxes that they never bothered to look in to.

You sure about $4000 a year? My last house was valued around $430,000 while I was still living there. Taxes per month of roughly $240 in the last year. Not even $4000 a year. Current house valued at $366,000 I am paying $208 a month.

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 2:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rollerstud98 View Post
You sure about $4000 a year? My last house was valued around $430,000 while I was still living there. Taxes per month of roughly $240 in the last year. Not even $4000 a year. Current house valued at $366,000 I am paying $208 a month.
Do property taxes in Airdrie cover things that we have to pay extra for in Calgary?

Old Posted May 19, 2019, 4:54 AM

Wink

Quote:
Do property taxes in Airdrie cover things that we have to pay extra for in Calgary?
Not sure, just the basics really. Plus we pay for using Calgary services with our utilities which are separate.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 2:22 AM

Quote:

I think you used the non-residential calculator

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 5:44 PM

Dude, it comes out to 3,200 a year for taxes. That's nowhere near 4,000 a year more than Calgary. You need to to take another look.
Quote:

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 6:26 PM

Also into account is a $450,000 home perceived as 'going further' in Airdrie. Whether true or not, that is what people in the sales centre will say.

Old Posted May 20, 2019, 10:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmariner View Post
I think you used the non-residential calculator
Yup, you are correct. Whoops, my bad. The actual difference is closer to property taxes being $400 more expensive in Airdrie than Calgary when using the proper calculator. So my point about the difference in property taxes wiping out the difference in sales prices doesn't really hold up but I'll stand by my point that we shouldn't be using Airdrie as an example of how Calgary City Council should tax us.

Old Posted May 27, 2019, 11:37 PM

This is great news as far as I'm concerned. I wish they would get rid of the lane reversal on Memorial as well. The story claims it was costing $150K/year to set up the lane reversal on 5th Avenue which sounds like a lot to me.

5th Avenue S.W. lane reversal to end June 10

Helen Pike · CBC News · Posted: May 27, 2019 11:27 AM MT | Last Updated: an hour ago

The city is ending its four-year experiment with two-way traffic on Fifth Avenue through the downtown west side.

Starting on June 10 at 6 a.m., the lane reversal that has allowed two lanes of westward traffic will come to an end, the city's transportation department website says.

The temporary lane reversal, which was set up on a daily basis by road crews, was intended to relieve congestion on Fourth and Sixth avenues.

Full story at: https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calga...ffic-1.5151338

Old Posted May 28, 2019, 6:37 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Good riddance as far as I'm concerned as well.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 5:12 AM

Ramp closures coming to Crowchild Trail

Postmedia News
Updated: June 12, 2019

Two weeks worth of closures could make life difficult for commuters looking to exit downtown via Crowchild Trail.

The city said Wednesday the ramp from westbound 10th Avenue S.W. to northbound Crowchild Trail will be closed starting at 10 p.m. Thursday night.

On June 28, a reconfigured ramp will open, connecting to the east side of Crowchild Trail. The existing ramp connects to the west side of the thoroughfare.

By end of summer, westbound Bow Trail to northbound Crowchild Trail ramp, along with the 10th Avenue S.W. ramp, will join together to enter northbound Crowchild Trail in their own dedicated right-hand lane.

As a detour, the city suggests commuters use northbound 14th Street S.W. to westbound Memorial Drive to access northbound Crowchild Trail.

Source: https://calgaryherald.com/news/local...box=1560375780

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 11:12 PM

I don’t know how to post excerpts from websites on here. The CPC will soon receive a report on the Airport Trail/Barlow Trail/19 St NE interchange construction plans. The only traffic movement I could see missing was westbound Airport Trail to southbound 19th Street. The construction will be a pain in the xxxx but as they say, short term pain for long term gain. Looking forward to a bit more free flow in that area as I need to access the airport 8-10 times a month!

Old Posted Jun 17, 2019, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
I don’t know how to post excerpts from websites on here. The CPC will soon receive a report on the Airport Trail/Barlow Trail/19 St NE interchange construction plans. The only traffic movement I could see missing was westbound Airport Trail to southbound 19th Street. The construction will be a pain in the xxxx but as they say, short term pain for long term gain. Looking forward to a bit more free flow in that area as I need to access the airport 8-10 times a month!
What website are you seeing this info at?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 2:16 AM

Quote:
What website are you seeing this info at?
Sorry! The City of Calgary website. The Calgary Planning Commission agenda for June 20th. Item 7.2.1

https://pub-calgary.escribemeetings....a&lang=English

Last edited by YYCguys; Jun 18, 2019 at 3:55 AM.

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 3:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YYCguys View Post
Sorry! The City of Calgary website. The Calgary Planning Commission agenda for June 20th.
Maybe paste the link to the website?

Old Posted Jun 18, 2019, 5:01 AM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure