HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Jan 31, 2016, 11:05 AM
Hong Kong

hkskyline's 2015 Christmas in Würzburg

Würzburg is a large town located at the northern end of the Romantic Road. Destroyed in WW2, there was a plan to leave the city in ruins as a reminder of the war. But the old town was ultimately rebuilt.

The old town is generally accessible by foot but I lived a bit further out, so relied on trams to get me into town.

I walked up a long set of stairs to the Kappele, but the religious services were just started so I took a photo from the outside only.

Cigarette break, anyone? Like in Japan, these vending machines could be abused by minors, so people need to be honest.

Festung Marienberg was the original castle for the bishops but that ended with the construction of the Residenz across town. Destroyed in WW2, rebuilding finished in 1990. Unfortunately, it is closed from November through the winter, but the outdoor terraces are still open and offer stunning views of the town.

As I came back downhill, I found the postcard shot spot.

I wondered what the bourgeois was so unhappy about to leave this wonderful home with a view?

There are a few large churches in the old town that are worth a peek. Dom St. Kilian is built in the Romanesque style and has a history going back to the 11th century. Additions were made over the centuries but the church was destroyed in WW2.

Marienkapelle is a Gothic church that dates back to the 14th century.

Neumünster is a Romanesque church that also has a long history, dating back to the 11th century.

More photos on my website : http://globalphotos.org/wuerzburg.htm

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 3:11 PM
Hong Kong

Old Posted Feb 16, 2016, 3:59 PM

Great photos. I was there last autumn for the first time since I was a child. Did you make it to the Residenz as well? Quite impressive palace.

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 12:41 AM

Vyu-ts-book

Old Posted Feb 17, 2016, 12:47 AM

Great pictures. I love the one with the tram track intersection on the street.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2016, 1:36 PM
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by 10023 View Post
Great photos. I was there last autumn for the first time since I was a child. Did you make it to the Residenz as well? Quite impressive palace.
Yep. I toured the palace when it was cloudy out. Quite nice. I preferred the fortress view though.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2016, 12:32 PM
Hong Kong

Let's explore the city's Christmas market, which sprawls out from the square to neighbouring streets.

More on my website : http://www.globalphotos.org/wuerzburg.htm

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos