HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 2:49 PM

UT Austin Medical School Plan Unveiled

From a few weeks back, but very exciting news from a plan proposed by Sen. Kirk Watson to bring a medical school to Austin through the University of Texas. His 10 year plan calls for a medical school, training hospital, and health science center which would capitalize on Austin and UT's vast intellectual and professional resources to train the doctors for the future right here at home.

Updated 09/21/2011 08:22 AM
Sen. Watson unveils plan for UT medical school
By: John A. Salazar

Tuesday, State Sen Kirk Watson unveiled a comprehensive 10-year plan to bring a state-of-the-art medical school to the University of Texas in Austin.
Watson says it’s an economic commitment that could bring 15,000 jobs to the area and inject $2 billion into the local economy.

10 Goals in 10 Years: The Goals
1. Build a medical school.

2. Build a modern teaching hospital.

3. Establish modern, uniquely Austin health clinics.

4. Develop a Research Institute and laboratories for public and private research.

5. Launch a new commercialization incubator.

6. Start a comprehensive cancer treatment center.

7. Provide needed psychiatric care and facilities.

8. Improve basic infrastructure, and create a sense of place.

9. Bolster the medical examiner’s office.

10. Solve the funding puzzle.

Information courtesy KirkWatson.com

"It's time for a medical school, a teaching hospital and a health science center in Austin," he said. "We need to build on our knowledge-based economy and this will create the kind of jobs and economic opportunity that will really spur this region."
Watson is banking on area bio-tech companies to join this venture. He says the brain power and money already in place in the so-called Silicon Hills, makes now the perfect time to bring a world class medical teaching facility to the Capital City.

"I think it is the single best way for us to invest in this community so we're investing in a typical Austin way of life which involves intelligence, inclusiveness and community well being," Watson said....

http://austin.ynn.com/content/280551...edical-school/

Last edited by cvillehorn; May 5, 2012 at 5:11 AM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 5:09 PM

So I'm really curious to where they are going to build all of this "centrally"?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 7:24 PM

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsjv View Post
So I'm really curious to where they are going to build all of this "centrally"?
I'll second that? What about on the east side of the main campus east of I-35?

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 10:04 PM

The speculation is that UT would develop the land they own on Lake Austin Blvd which currently is home to outdated, low-density graduate housing. This is a large tract of prime real estate that would be put to far better use in this newfound capacity. Plus, it's about as centrally located as you can get given availability in town.

Last edited by cvillehorn; Oct 6, 2011 at 10:45 PM.

Old Posted Oct 6, 2011, 11:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillehorn View Post
The speculation is that UT would develop the land they own on Lake Austin Blvd which currently is home to outdated, low-density graduate housing. This is a large tract of prime real estate that would be put to far better use in this newfound capacity. Plus, it's about as centrally located as you can get given availability in town.
hmmm, Just thinking of other university hospitals that I've seen, and this portion of land you refer to wouldn't hold one of these university/research hospital complexes very well, not unless UT plans are NOT grandiose and do not look out far into the future. I thought that land was being used for other development anyway? Or do I have it confused with something else there?

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 5:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAM View Post
hmmm, Just thinking of other university hospitals that I've seen, and this portion of land you refer to wouldn't hold one of these university/research hospital complexes very well, not unless UT plans are NOT grandiose and do not look out far into the future. I thought that land was being used for other development anyway? Or do I have it confused with something else there?
Just judging from what I've heard from my Level 2 source re: the board of regents, that was supposed to be the desired location. There may be other plans for residential/commercial development that I'm unaware of. And I'm not sure what you mean by 'holding' a university research hospital. If you're referring to the size of the tract, you do realize UT owns everything from the intersection at Red Bud Trail all the way east to Hearn St, right? I'm no surveyor but I'd wager that's in the ballpark of 100 acres. Seems more than sufficient. I don't know though; thoughts?

***Mulligan. I'm clearly underestimating the typical size of a prominent med school campus. Quick search on the internets revealed that UT Southwestern sits on about 230 acres. My bad. Maybe there is in fact another site in store. Either that, or density is the name of the game at Lake Austin and they are planning a couple of 60+ stories hospital towers to do the trick. (Hah!) I don't know. We'll see.

Old Posted Oct 7, 2011, 2:53 AM

UT could buy the big box portion of Mueller and build there. Hell, just use the rest of the still undeveloped land at Mueller. It would be better than suburban disconnected crap that's gone in so far. That way this ho-hum street train would actually have a place to go.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 1:32 AM

Found this info whilst doing a quick google on the Brack Tract. Pretty cool.

http://www.utbracktract.com/

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 1:40 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by cvillehorn View Post
Found this info whilst doing a quick google on the Brack Tract. Pretty cool.

http://www.utbracktract.com/
Those are a few years old. They, by the way, are the reason many of us believe that the Brackenridge tract is likely the place they'll put the Medical School.

After revisiting the plans, though, I remembered that both of them plan to slightly reroute or redesign Lake Austin blvd through the tract, thereby making it an adequate emergency route into the hospital.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 2:53 AM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
Highland Mall is not a desirable location IMO for the Medical school its not big enough. I don't see why it would be an issue for the Brakenridge location as I said surroundings do play a part in healing people. Of course not everybody would consider that a real reason but IMO it is important. If I had to go to a hospital in the Medical school I would hope its in a nice location and that is as nice as you can get for any part of Austin with great views. Plus it really has the best acreage for the location.
Also, Highland Mall is a bad location for a hospital in general. You've got Dell's Children, Austin State, Seton, St. David's, and University all within a five mile distance. The Brackenridge tract is in an area that, oddly (given its affluence), does not have a hospital nearby. Putting it in the Domain would also not make sense given the proximity to North Austin Med and Seton Northwest. It isn't going to go into the Mueller Development as that redevelopment is already under way and I can't see them changing anything this late in the ballgame. There also isn't any available centralized land south of the river which would lend itself to an urban-esque campus (assuming that the university wants the campus to be urban, which is a good assumption).

If the goal is to keep the hospital central, while trying to serve an underserved area (which would just be smart, imo), then they'll either go with the Brackenridge tract (which they've been angling to redevelop for years) or buy up industrial land en masse east of I-35 (perhaps, as an example, the area bounded by Bolm, Airport, and 183). Which is going to be easier for the University: developing land they already own by integrating the hospital and associated facilities into preexisting redevelopment plans or spending money to buy land in a politically and socioeconomically sensitive community already subject to enough gentrification pressures?

I would, on the flip side, also not be surprised if the University decided to develop land south of the river on East Riverside in coordination with Austin's rail line and the city's push for denser development along that corridor. However, the same political issues plague that area. It also doesn't seem likely that that area will ever develop at the level of density Austin's elite desire, which could disqualify it as a good option ... and much of the land that looks ripe for the level of density desired already have development projects in the pipeline (I.E. the closer to 35, the more likely to be developed by someone in the private market).

Last edited by wwmiv; Oct 10, 2011 at 3:04 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 5:32 AM

would just start buying up land east of I-35 next to the UT campus if they really want to serve the community and UT.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 5:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owlhorn View Post
would just start buying up land east of I-35 next to the UT campus if they really want to serve the community and UT.
That'd be extremely difficult. Most of the area directly across 35 from campus are homes. Not only would they run into the same problems that I mentioned above regarding the industrial land on the east side (politically and socioeconomically sensitive community already subject to enough gentrification pressures), but they'd actually be taking away their homes outright instead of pressuring them out through land value increases. Not only that, but the same problems would exist with that area that exist with Highland: it is in close proximity to too many other hospitals.

They already own the Brackenridge tract, while buying land through eminent domain (which is the method to be used in that area) is both extremely politically inept and financially stupid (given that they'd be spending more money than if they developed the Brackenridge tract as the medical school).

Edit:

You know... I just REALLY like the Brackenridge tract for this. It is the ONLY legitimate option in this city for dense development where none currently exists. The Domain/North Burnet is nice... That area has potential in the long run (50+ years), but it will never have the level of density that we'd like. Same thing for Mueller. Same thing for East Riverside. The Domain will end up like the Galleria or Buckhead, but without skyscrapers while Mueller and East Riverside could end up like less cowboy-hipster-chic versions of SoCo.

Brackenridge, on the other hand, is bounded by established neighborhoods (and the river) that will work as containers to the density, thereby making the density grow with time as it is forced to turn back in on itself. I.E. An actual urban environment instead of a complete sham faux urban development like Mueller. Brackenridge, for me, is Austin's opportunity to answer Portland's South Waterfront (although probably better, which is a scary thought for me).

Now we just have to find our legitimate answer to the Pearl District. Long run, I see things like the Intramural Fields, Hancock Shopping Center, and - gosh you'll all hate me for this - the area bounded by Cesar Chavez, Lamar, and the rail tracks where the Animal Control center, among other things, is as the last prime large scale redevelopment opportunities where substantial new density can be located adjacent to our existing nodes of density.

Highland Mall, though a good opportunity as a transit oriented development, is too far out to truly be considered an expansion on downtown's existing density. So, too, are the city's prime targets for development (Mueller, Domain/North Burnet, and East Riverside).

Last edited by wwmiv; Oct 10, 2011 at 11:04 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 5:39 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I can see and understand your points for Highland Mall, but there is also something to be said about a city not clumping all of its Hospitals in one area. I like the fact that Austin has a fairly good spread of Hospitals in different parts of the city. It gives quicker access by people that live in those areas rather than having to drive to one Hospital District like some cities have. Other than Seton, which is not that far from the Brakenridge tract, I don't believe there is another major medical center for that part of Austin. Its in a centralized location roughly give a take a few miles in the middle between Seton, UMC Brakenridge, St. Davids, and South Austin Hosptial. It would be interesting to see if there were any conceptual plans for the tract to have some sort of Medical school. That was an interesting rendering.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2011, 7:18 PM

My main worry for putting a hospital in this location is that it could become an iron fortress (security of all types, potential homeland security, and general issues with hospital supplies and refuse) and not allow the general public thru the area. Hospitals give off this aura as it is. They require lots of power, trash removal, supply entrances, parking garages..... things difficult to hide. This is an area that is beautiful and could possibly enjoyed by the public if other uses where found, especially the water front.

It also doesn't appear the entire 350 acres would be dedicated to a hospital system, which could limit its ability to be truly world class.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 4:52 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I think your right about the current brack location likely not going to be the location of the new hospital. The CVC for one thing would make it difficult to have a larger hospital built on that site. I do believe it needs to be close to Downtown and needs to be easily accessible to all areas of the city. Don't know about the Highland Mall area because ACC owns much of that now and they have their own plans for that lot.

Old Posted May 6, 2012, 9:16 PM

Plenty of room on Robinson ranch between north Austin & Round Rock....if the family decides to go ahead & develop part of it.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 3:30 PM
Member since 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Plenty of room on Robinson ranch between north Austin & Round Rock....if the family decides to go ahead & develop part of it.
I'm not sure if the family even owns most of that land anymore. They City of Austin annexed it a few years back and zoned it as to become one of the densest places within the city.

Additionally, the Brackenridge Tract/Lions Municipal site has been talked about for years. And from my sources, it is still being considered as one of the possible sites.

Furthermore, Seton's “commitment” of $250MM toward the construction of a new hospital is really not that much money (when considering building a brand new medical facility – especially one aimed at being a “teaching” hospital). It's more like seed money (a new facility will be more expensive).

$250MM would get you about 100 or so beds (approximately one fifth the size of Seton Medical Center) in a “regional” hospital-type setting and equipment level. As an example, the newly opened, $210MM Lakeway Regional Medical Center is a small, 106-bed regional hospital with 6 ORs, a 3-trauma/12 ED-room ER, 6 L&D rooms. The cost of this facility was just under $770 per square foot.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 6:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I think your right about the current brack location likely not going to be the location of the new hospital. The CVC for one thing would make it difficult to have a larger hospital built on that site. I do believe it needs to be close to Downtown and needs to be easily accessible to all areas of the city. Don't know about the Highland Mall area because ACC owns much of that now and they have their own plans for that lot.
If you look closely at the area surrounding Highland Mall, you'll find that there is a substantial amount of adjacent underutilized land to the north and south of the mall itself. The Ford dealership, the land across from the Ford Dealership, the area up by the Burlington Coat store, the area between the mall and IH35 owned by Lincoln Properties, Sheplers, the bus station, etc. It is a hugely underdeveloped area that screams out to be redeveloped in a true urban grid that connects to existing streets. I am not so sure that ACC would not like to get in on some medical school development action as well. There is no other area of the city that has so much highway access. Three Hundred thousand plus vehicles pass within a quarter mile of the area every day. The silly Red Line is right there too. Hopefully any new street car line will have Highland as a destination. Airport Blvd, especially along the eastern side of the street is ripe for substantial development. A medical center anchoring the area along with ACC, lots of new midrise housing, hotels, and other development could create a very lively urban vibe in an area that is really the northern end of Central Austin.

Old Posted May 7, 2012, 5:50 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

Talking

I think it should be close to East Central myself. One of the points of this medical school and research hospital is to better serve the community especially the low income areas. To enhance community health services and options for the poor. Higland would be a reasonable option for that as well but it wouldnt be easily accessible from all parts of Austin. Your forgetting everybody south of the river and it wont be easy for people down here to get to a Highland location due to the bottlenecking through Downtown. A Medical District parallel to the East of Downtown would be best. Also there are no hospitals east of I-35 in Austin other than the Children's Hospital. I think that needs to change.

Although having it on the Brackenridge Tract would be more picturesque with the hills and the river.

Last edited by Jdawgboy; May 7, 2012 at 6:05 PM.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2012, 8:50 PM

Some very encouraging updates. Looking to break ground in 2013-14!

UT officials outline next steps for Austin medical school
Austin Business Journal by Vicky Garza, Staff Writer
Date: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 2:58pm CST - Last Modified: Wednesday, November 7, 2012, 3:02pm CST

Vicky Garza
Staff Writer- Austin Business Journal
Email | Twitter | LinkedIn

University of Texas at Austin officials thanked voters Wednesday for approving Proposition 1, which puts the last piece of funding in place to bring a new medical school and teaching hospital to Austin, and outlined the next steps for the project.
“This will be a tremendous move forward for health in Central Texas, for doctors and people who rely on Central Health for their care, for research – both clinical and scientific – so that we can move the frontiers of medical knowledge, care and practice ahead in our region and in our state and, indeed, for our country,” said UT President Bill Powers at a Wednesday press conference.
UT Executive Vice President and Provost Steve Leslie provided additional details and outlined next steps for the university.
“We’ll put a steering committee together right away that will move leaders on campus to make sure we have this as a faculty-driven process,” Leslie said.

http://www.bizjournals.com/austin/ne...eps-after.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin