Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Salesforce Tower in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • San Francisco Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
San Francisco Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 5:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simms3_redux View Post
^^^Lol. Yes. All true. I think people forget that Sears is actually a corporation because it is so irrelevant in this time and age. It almost sounds like a family name or a street name or something other than a corporation. Similarly, the Chrysler Building. Or also in Chicago the Aon Tower. Or how about taking the name of Mr. Trump? Or, even the John Hancock Tower, named for a corporation even though it's mixed use.
That's because Sears is a family name. As is Chrysler, and Trump and John Hancock. Buildings sound more human when they are named after people.

Salesforce is blatantly and unapologetically a corporate name. Doesn't trickle easily off the tongue. I really dislike the name.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 5:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guiltyspark View Post
Yes, Salesforce is the name of the company that will be headquartered there. Also, baby steps. We don't have a single 1500 foot tower anywhere in the US, so I would not expect one on the West coast anytime soon. I do agree that this one would have looked amazing at that height though. I am jsut glad that we are getting another supertall.
Naively, I've never heard of this company! So, I'll refer to it as the SF tower. SalesForce initialized! Can I do that?

As stated before, in an earlier post, I'm so glad they didn't go much higher and set off another highest race on the West Coast, and what does that accomplish?

Build it to 1300', and now with spires counting as height, there you go! Seattle or L.A. building a building to 1000', and a 350' spire!

San Francisco has enough to show off for, not a super-tall, just my opinion!

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 8:24 AM
She needs her space

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakamesalad View Post
That's because Sears is a family name. As is Chrysler, and Trump and John Hancock. Buildings sound more human when they are named after people.

Salesforce is blatantly and unapologetically a corporate name. Doesn't trickle easily off the tongue. I really dislike the name.
Putting Donald Trump, a current "celebrity"/flashy name brand guy, in the same boat as large multinational corporations named after guys who lived a century or more ago is not an equivalent premise.

The name Salesforce has more in common with Sears or Chrysler or John Hancock (a company named after a deceased man, though a guy much more thought of as a human being than Walter Chrysler or Richard Sears, the two being almost forgotten as the companies that took on their names retain the sole identity of Sears and Chrysler, not the men themselves).

Anyway, I digress. I agree with you that Salesforce doesn't roll off the tongue. Time and time again, many of us have already stated this. But to say this is a radical naming departure from other supertalls is a farce.

To say Trump is a "family name" like Sears is another. Trump is a personal, ego-based name brand du jour, and there is nothing wrong with that. But there are countless luxury condo towers that take on his name. Obviously not a sole (1-2) tall corporate symbol towers where something big/important is headquartered. There are 20 luxe residential/hotel towers around the world that are at least 500 ft high and are named after Donald Trump. There is 1 Sears Tower (technically 0 now) and 1 Chrysler Building. There are 2 John Hancock buildings and there will be 2 Salesforce buildings. There is a GE tower, a General Motors Building, a New York Times Tower, under construction is a 2nd Comcast tower. I could go on.

Would Google Tower sound better? LoL

Back to construction, I walked by tonight. There was Hertz rental equipment on site, and the larger of the caisson drills was dismantled, with a lot of additional smaller (Hertz) equipment scattered about.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 5:31 PM
dazzle me

trump has been a big time celebrity since the 1980s though, i think. like, i remember him from my earliest mass media memories (wish i had none, but such is life). anyway, that's way off topic.

as to google, i was pretty convinced that they'd end up scoring at least some of this tower, but maybe they've met their needs for now. they seem to prefer the low-rise (imo such a goofy "tech ethos" thing to keep when you're like the largest advertising company in the world), so i'd guess that maybe the fit for them isn't right at any rate.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 9:01 PM
New Yorker for life

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/a24c4df4-0...#axzz37r84reYd

Tech boom spurs the ‘Manhattanisation’ of San Francisco
New skyscrapers are set to alter the city’s skyline radically – but the fightback has begun

July 18, 2014
By Sarah Mishkin

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Jul 18, 2014, 11:40 PM

^^^ mildly interesting article because there was nothing new in it. They mention aesthetics but then go on to reveal the hoopla is really about economics. Not enough low-moderate income units. I agree. But nixing devopment for high incomers will not bring about lower prices. Overbuilding might. So Nimrod Nimbys are shooting themselves in the foot. As for the whole Manhattanization debate. It's a little late for that. About 50 years too late now. They are just arguing about which part of the dead horse they should beat next.

Last edited by ozone; Jul 19, 2014 at 5:15 AM.

Old Posted Jul 19, 2014, 12:23 AM
Vote for me for Mayor!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
http://www.ft.com/cms/s/2/a24c4df4-0...#axzz37r84reYd

Tech boom spurs the ‘Manhattanisation’ of San Francisco
New skyscrapers are set to alter the city’s skyline radically – but the fightback has begun

July 18, 2014
By Sarah Mishkin
SF in my experience is already "manhattanized" maybe not as dense but pretty similar urban feel to the island.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2014, 7:39 AM

this is UC right? i hope so. Its time for SF to get a supertall

Old Posted Jul 22, 2014, 6:32 PM
She needs her space

So concrete mixer is gone, as are the big drills. There is some other rando equipment on site and a new construction "tent" where the concrete mixers used to be. I think they are taking the week to prep the site for excavation and the next phase.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPChicago View Post
SF in my experience is already "manhattanized" maybe not as dense but pretty similar urban feel to the island.
I have to respectfully disagree. SF's urban feel is nothing like Manhattan's. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Both great but just not similar. Two totally different vibes ............. just my take

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 2:31 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
I have to respectfully disagree. SF's urban feel is nothing like Manhattan's. It's like comparing apples and oranges. Both great but just not similar. Two totally different vibes ............. just my take
Manhattan is just a beast. I've been to Paris, London, Chicago, Madrid, and Rome and I could say in my humble opinion that no city has the chaotic, noisy, super urban feel of NYC. Even London, feels like a Manhattan on valium. Point being, with 24 square miles, and a daytime population of 4 million plus, it takes quite a lot to reach that level of chaotic beauty.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sterlippo1 View Post
I'd say SF does have a couple areas (parts of the financial district and tenderloin/nob hill) with a feel and/or look that's reminiscent of parts of Manhattan, though of course it's not 100% the same. The vast majority of the city isn't anything like Manhattan though.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 6:15 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Given its small size in sq miles, add in the daytime population, and I'd say SF has a Manhattan light feeling too it. Even Chicago (loop and surrounding areas). Although Chicago has one advantage and thats its wide open vistas of sky in between large skyscrapers whereas in NYC you don't get that dramatic feeling of openness.

We do have a good situation here though that in terms of the population, I'd say SF ranks high when you compare a city of less than 900,000 with the amount of skyscrapers that it is. I feel that it has a lot of height for a city with that population which is great.

I forget who said it but I once heard someone say SF is an East Coast city on the West Coast in terms of its urbanity.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 6:26 PM

Thank goodness SF is nothing like NYC. There is so much to enjoy in NY and the exciting buildings and architecture has a lot do with it. However SF with it's balance of density and vistas is a far better balance and makes for a completely unique experience in the US. I'll never understand why any other city would want to be NYC. They should just be their own unique experience.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Manhattan is just a beast. I've been to Paris, London, Chicago, Madrid, and Rome and I could say in my humble opinion that no city has the chaotic, noisy, super urban feel of NYC. Even London, feels like a Manhattan on valium. Point being, with 24 square miles, and a daytime population of 4 million plus, it takes quite a lot to reach that level of chaotic beauty.
good way of putting it

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech12 View Post
I'd say SF does have a couple areas (parts of the financial district and tenderloin/nob hill) with a feel and/or look that's reminiscent of parts of Manhattan, though of course it's not 100% the same. .
nah, I'm not buying that. These are my two favorite cities and they are so different. I'm fortunate to live so close to NYC that I've been there maybe 50-60 times in the past 15 years (mostly because I have a friend that lives in Jersey) but after a couple of days I'm exhausted and have to get back to sanity and New England. San Francisco just does not tire me out like Manhattan. I could live in SF, (and would love to but $$$$$), even near the downtown, I just love it and never want to leave when I'm there but while I love Manhattan too, obviously, I just can only take so much of it. It's truly overwhelming but an incredibly awesome place to visit

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 7:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
Manhattan is just a beast. I've been to Paris, London, Chicago, Madrid, and Rome and I could say in my humble opinion that no city has the chaotic, noisy, super urban feel of NYC.
you must not have been to asia, then

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 10:42 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

^^^

True. Somehow Asia slipped my mind for a second.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2014, 11:12 PM
Pacific Wonderland

Quote:
Originally Posted by edluva View Post
you must not have been to asia, then
Beat me to it...

travel, architecture & photos of the textured world at http://www.pixelmap.com

Old Posted Jul 27, 2014, 2:53 AM
Triptastic Gen X Snoozer

Please stay on topic. This thread is about a particular tower under construction, not about how people perceive a city vis-a-vis some other city.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2014, 6:14 AM

New video from Steel Blue:

http://vimeo.com/86033998

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture