HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 3:51 PM

Most affluent suburbs of Chicago

What suburbs have the most ostentatious displays of wealth? Where can you find the sprawling 10,000 square foot plus estates with ornate old world architecture, courtyards with fountains and sculpture, immaculate landscaping, etc. I'm aware of Kenilworth and Winnetka as being bastions of money, but what suburbs love to show off their wealth the most?

Old Posted Oct 18, 2013, 5:28 PM
The City

Take a cruise on Sheridan Rd through Chicago's north shore. There are also some nice old mansions in Hinsdale. I'm sure there are many others, but those are the most obvious that come to mind.

All and all, though, the 'ostentation' (at least in regards to houses) is not all that wild in Chicago like you might see elsewhere.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 6:11 AM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind field View Post
What suburbs have the most ostentatious displays of wealth? Where can you find the sprawling 10,000 square foot plus estates with ornate old world architecture, courtyards with fountains and sculpture, immaculate landscaping, etc. I'm aware of Kenilworth and Winnetka as being bastions of money, but what suburbs love to show off their wealth the most?
What, are you scoping out where the best places to rob are, gleaning info from the poor, unsuspecting locals?? j/k

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 2:02 PM

Highland Park
Hinsdale (if not in North Shore)

Old Posted Oct 19, 2013, 6:01 PM

Other suburbs that come to mind are Lake Forest, Barrington, and of course Oak Brook, which is probably the wealthiest western suburb.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 3:12 PM

Thing is, some of the most amazing houses, grandest,etc., are not really visible from the street, at least in the suburbs listed. North Shore sub's especially. LOTS of arbor vitae!

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 5:44 PM
The City

There are some nice mansions along Lake St in Libertyville. I also agree that some of the finest homes can't even be seen from the street

Old Posted Oct 21, 2013, 5:46 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by rgolch View Post
Other suburbs that come to mind are Lake Forest, Barrington, and of course Oak Brook, which is probably the wealthiest western suburb.
Is Oak Brook wealthier then, say Naperville, Downers Grove, or Hinsdale?

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 7:14 AM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind field View Post
While arguably the most wealthy in the metro I wouldn't call Winnetka and Kenliworth the most overtly ostentatious. For the lack of a better term Kenilworth and Winnetka probably have a higher proportion of what would be regarded as "old money" which on a very relative scale displays itself a bit more subtly. Those places both have their gob smacking homes and lots especially along Sheridan Road which rival or surpass any in the metro but in general there are more restrictions given they had higher density and more restrictive lots of the first commuter suburbs.

You get less house for the same amount of money in those places then say out in Barrington, Long Grove, or even Lake Forest even though I believe the PCI is higher in Winnetka and definitely Kenilworth. You could probably buy upwards of twice or more the house or lot in those more outer affluent suburbs. At least a dozen suburbs have some neighborhoods of the wealth on the scale I think you are talking about.

To answer your question I would say Lake Forest and Barrington have the highest proportion relative to the size of the community and where you will most readily see it. The size of some of the estates and homes in these suburbs can border on the ridiculous. Many with HUGE manicured lawns set in a thicket of trees set far back from the street with big circular driveways.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 1:34 PM

River Forest

Not the most ostentatious - but the most prestigious.

Old Posted Oct 23, 2013, 6:17 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

As far as individual houses in the suburbs this one that is on one of my running routes I do periodically in Long Grove is up there.

3147 Cuba Road, Long Grove, IL
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=cuba+...253.53,,0,9.85

Also this estate in Lake Bluff. I would actually more describe it as a compound with various living quarters for staff. I actually went to a New Years party here a few years ago when a bunch of AIOC students/staff were given the run of the place. The owner is the former CEO of KRAFT and a big patron of local arts.

948 Sheridan Road, Lake Bluff, Illinois
https://maps.google.com/maps?q=948+S...12,80.45,,0,-7

Last edited by nomarandlee; Jan 7, 2014 at 3:13 AM.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 6:25 PM

I would say that it depends on what kind of wealth you're talking about, new wealth, active in business or old wealth/money. Certainly driving north along Sheridan/Green Bay Road and that, you go from suburb to suburb that has elaborate mansions & estates, very much old money. Kenilworth, Highland Park & Lake Forest have some real beauties! New wealth are in numerous neighborhoods in the suburbs to the northwest, west and southwest. Chicago has so many beautiful neighborhoods.

Old Posted Jan 6, 2014, 8:15 PM
disneypilled verhoevenist

nice stuff.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest