HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 17, 2014, 9:11 PM

Routes changes or new routes at wpg transit .

I started this new thread to see what you in the transit community would do if you ran the route planning dept at wpg transit. If I was I charge I would create a feeder service to link Waverly west with the u of m and phase 2 of rapid transit you can include maps and route name or numbers for your plan iv heard if we want route changes we need to speak to your MP or MLA or even email city hall

Old Posted Aug 18, 2014, 1:49 AM
I am a typical

Not sure how effective speaking to an MP would be when it comes to laying out bus routes...

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 1:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Not sure how effective speaking to an MP would be when it comes to laying out bus routes...
I thought of that after I posted this I know with the election I hope we can change the way routes are planned and timed

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 3:34 AM

Even talking to your MLA is not going to do anything as transit is a city service.

People would have to lobby the city councillor for the area to get her / him on board for changes. A number of changes have come as a result of a request from the local community committee.

Old Posted Aug 19, 2014, 10:05 PM
I am a typical

Does Winnipeg have a TTC-style model where transit is overseen by a board of various representatives and citizens, or is it just a department of the city?

Old Posted Aug 20, 2014, 1:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
Does Winnipeg have a TTC-style model where transit is overseen by a board of various representatives and citizens, or is it just a department of the city?
Sadly it's only a city department I wish it was a TTC style model

Old Posted Sep 17, 2014, 11:42 PM

I would like to see some of those not in service routes to become in service routes. There's no reason people can't be on the not in service buses.

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 4:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by njaohnt View Post
I would like to see some of those not in service routes to become in service routes. There's no reason people can't be on the not in service buses.
Most of these buses are express routes to downtown during the morning peak, then return back to the suburbs as "Not in Service" and then go back to express routes.

There is no need to run extra buses from downtown to suburbs during the morning peak periods.
You could save 20 minutes from running a bus "not in service" via "in service"

Old Posted Sep 18, 2014, 9:15 AM

Not all of them deadhead back for another run on the same route.

One day I was playing around with Navigo and followed one 11 bus from Henderson and Glenway and it had 2 different routes after ending the 11 at Polo Park and ending back to 421 Osbourne later in the morning.

Its been some time since I looked but I think from Polo Park, it went as a dedhead next to the Maples and did one Express inbound to Downtown and then deadheaded out to South St. Vital for a few local runs before calling it a morning.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2014, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trebor204 View Post
Most of these buses are express routes to downtown during the morning peak, then return back to the suburbs as "Not in Service" and then go back to express routes.

There is no need to run extra buses from downtown to suburbs during the morning peak periods.
You could save 20 minutes from running a bus "not in service" via "in service"
If they were in service, there would be a high frequency in the other direction, so they would not stop as often, making them go faster, and improving service without increasing costs.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 4:04 PM

Quote:
If they were in service, there would be a high frequency in the other direction, so they would not stop as often, making them go faster, and improving service without increasing costs.
There would be no need for that for example if u look at all the different runs on line at rush hour most of them are out just for 3 hours in the am rush and the express buses in the am taking people downtown would be empty cause 90% of the people on express buses heading downtown will be coming back the other way during the pm rush. Now let's take the 185-5 run for example that bus starts in windsor park at 7:44 am as a 75 then when it gets to the u of m it becomes the 185 for 1 round trip. Now with the deadheading some runs do interlining runs so once the bus does a 163 it has to deadhead to say u of m to do it's next run it makes no sense to put it I service for it to just go from Pembina to the u of m.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 8:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg transit 163-1 View Post
There would be no need for that for example if u look at all the different runs on line at rush hour most of them are out just for 3 hours in the am rush and the express buses in the am taking people downtown would be empty cause 90% of the people on express buses heading downtown will be coming back the other way during the pm rush. Now let's take the 185-5 run for example that bus starts in windsor park at 7:44 am as a 75 then when it gets to the u of m it becomes the 185 for 1 round trip. Now with the deadheading some runs do interlining runs so once the bus does a 163 it has to deadhead to say u of m to do it's next run it makes no sense to put it I service for it to just go from Pembina to the u of m.
I'm not saying get rid of all not in service routes, just some. Even if they are close to empty, it is better than being completely empty.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2014, 8:18 PM

They should at least find a way to make "not in service" buses travel as short of a distance possible while "not in service" to get to the bus garage.

My parents neighbour was a bus driver and he'd always talk about how the 46 ended at Kildare and Redonda, then he had to drive all the way across the city to the bus garage on Osborne out of service. That's just a waste. At least have routes end downtown or somewhere reasonably close to a garage. In that scenario, the 46 could have made a return run downtown, then gone "not in service" and to the bus garage.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2014, 2:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny D Oh View Post
They should at least find a way to make "not in service" buses travel as short of a distance possible while "not in service" to get to the bus garage.

My parents neighbour was a bus driver and he'd always talk about how the 46 ended at Kildare and Redonda, then he had to drive all the way across the city to the bus garage on Osborne out of service. That's just a waste. At least have routes end downtown or somewhere reasonably close to a garage. In that scenario, the 46 could have made a return run downtown, then gone "not in service" and to the bus garage.
I have a friend who used to drive a 160-2 in January and his bus did 2 round trips on a 36 super express half a trip on a 160 , 161 to downtown the a 46 to transcona then he went out of service near kp mall westbound but for transits point of view the route back is just down lag fermore and Osborne and ur back at 421 Osborne. Like today my other friend drives a 18 that ends at Margaret loop and has a long drive back but the deadhead time is part of ur daily pay cause if the 46 ended downtown it would be a longer shift and would screw up Scheduling .

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 1:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg transit 163-1 View Post
I have a friend who used to drive a 160-2 in January and his bus did 2 round trips on a 36 super express half a trip on a 160 , 161 to downtown the a 46 to transcona then he went out of service near kp mall westbound but for transits point of view the route back is just down lag fermore and Osborne and ur back at 421 Osborne. Like today my other friend drives a 18 that ends at Margaret loop and has a long drive back but the deadhead time is part of ur daily pay cause if the 46 ended downtown it would be a longer shift and would screw up Scheduling .
Certainly there are some routes can be turned to in service. Not in service buses should be a rare sighting when you a few km from the bus garage. How about the 41 Henderson express. Can't we run those buses out in 41, and back in 11?

Old Posted Sep 23, 2014, 1:59 AM

Smile

Quote:
Certainly there are some routes can be turned to in service. Not in service buses should be a rare sighting when you a few km from the bus garage. How about the 41 Henderson express. Can't we run those buses out in 41, and back in 11?
That could work but a lot of the 41 or 40 buses u see going not in service around 4 or 4:30 are deadheading to do another route and with the time limit they get for deadheading wound to work but around 5 to 6:30 pm 41 or 40 buses could 11 downtown buses for fort rogue garage based buses or 77 crosstown north Margret loop for north garage based buses but yeah you got a great idea u should look at a career with transits planning dept. Transit needs people like you with great ideas.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan