HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area

Old Posted Nov 15, 2014, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Alan View Post
Pretty cool how they've demolished the entire mall, and yet left the garage to be reused.
Not the entire mall but 75% and an office building.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 8:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbradway View Post
Here is the setup for the Celtics:

And Barclays:

Notice the upper and lower end zone seats for basketball are much further away in Boston.
Very true about how the arena will (and should) be built for basketball only and not NBA and NHL. Sac's new arena must emulate Arco arena which, imo, truly has no bad seats in the house, regarding sightlines. Had read about how the NY Islanders of the NHL are moving into the Barclays Center starting in 2015. The capacity of the arena not only drops from 17,732 to 15,795 but more than 400 of those hockey seats will have obstructed views.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/27/sp...ceed.html?_r=0

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 9:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozone View Post
The Raiders are looking around at San Antonio. While San Antonio proper is more populous, the Sacramento region has slightly more people than San Antonio. Plus we have the millions from the Bay Area within driving distance. I don't think a NFL team here is out of the realm of possibly. I'd much rather have a pro American football team at the Railyards than soccer.
Seriously, Sacramento has no business entertaining thoughts of any major pro team beyond the MLS coming here. No NHL, MLB or NFL. The population base might be here but the corporate base and dollars is not and that's the reality.

Btw, Raiders or the NFL in San Antonio will never happen either. SA is just being used as a stadium pawn like Sacramento was years ago by Al Davis. SA is Dallas Cowboys territory and Jerry Jones is too powerful an owner to let another team invade his territory and revenue stream.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otnemarcaS View Post
Seriously, Sacramento has no business entertaining thoughts of any major pro team beyond the MLS coming here. No NHL, MLB or NFL. The population base might be here but the corporate base and dollars is not and that's the reality.
I'm not sure of your motivation or perspective is that makes you say unequivocally we shouldn't consider these things. If you want nice things you have to put yourself in position and take advantage when the opportunity comes.

The population and income are sufficient enough for any of the big 4 sports and for multiple sports. MLB being the most difficult one to support and hockey the easiest. Corporate base is lacking, but there is a chicken vs egg thing going on here. Part of the reason for the lack of a corporate base is the lack of entertainment to support those corporations and their employees. Given enough options for that corporate employee to use their expendable income, there is no reason why companies couldn't start shifting from the bay to the valley, considering the cheaper real estate, etc. Just like when homeowners started making the way from bay area to Sac area.

I'm not saying we need to go out and get an NFL team, but don't be so quick to write us off for everything. Sometimes things take little vision and effort to make it happen. If the attitude is always 'we can't' then it will be a self fulfilling prophecy that doesn't necessarily have to be. We forced our way into the MLS conversation and we are now going head to head with Minnesota, which has a massive corporate base, Las Vegas and even Miami. Common thought would say we are not even in those other cities league. Yet, there we are in the conversation and competing.

Old Posted Nov 29, 2014, 5:27 PM

"The official application and associated renderings for the 16-story tower next to the future arena in Sacramento shows quite a bit of green space on a vertical, steel structure."

http://m.bizjournals.com/sacramento/...ed.html?r=full

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 6:43 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NME22 View Post
"The official application and associated renderings for the 16-story tower next to the future arena in Sacramento shows quite a bit of green space on a vertical, steel structure."

http://m.bizjournals.com/sacramento/...ed.html?r=full
wow. hopefully that's not the final design. And more apartments, yay.

Last edited by enigma99a; Nov 30, 2014 at 6:56 AM.

Old Posted Nov 30, 2014, 7:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enigma99a View Post
wow. hopefully that's not the final design. And more apartments, yay.
Should have been narrower and taller, to expose the arena better.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 12:19 AM
Hindrance to Development

And, hopefully, not as beige as it appears in the renderings. Why do people think that making tall buildings beige makes them less obtrusive?

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 2:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal Alan View Post
Should have been narrower and taller, to expose the arena better.
I agree that would have been more attractive from the J street side. But it looks like the intent was to enclose the plaza in front of the arena. The asthetics are more appealing from inside the plaza, which is also where the entrance to the hotel is.

I know it's not important, but it will be nice when we start building more skyscraper's. I was hoping this would be one. At least 20 stories. Beggers can't be choosers I guess.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 5:35 AM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by NME22 View Post
I agree that would have been more attractive from the J street side. But it looks like the intent was to enclose the plaza in front of the arena. The asthetics are more appealing from inside the plaza, which is also where the entrance to the hotel is.

I know it's not important, but it will be nice when we start building more skyscraper's. I was hoping this would be one. At least 20 stories. Beggers can't be choosers I guess.
I have no problem with the height. It's horrible architecture and looks like a building on top of a building. The color is even worse.. Just needs more glass or a different color on the exterior.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 7:53 AM

Meh. It's OK. I'll take it.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 8:20 PM
Hindrance to Development

"Beggars can't be choosers" implies that we are beggars. We can and should demand better design.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 8:43 PM

What brand could go on hotel planned for new arena tower?

http://www.bizjournals.com/sacrament....html?page=all

A W Hotel, Regis, InterContinental, Ritz Carlton, and Waldorf Astoria are some of the possibilities.

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 10:24 PM
Megalonorcal 11M~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post

A W Hotel, Regis, InterContinental, Ritz Carlton, and Waldorf Astoria are some of the possibilities.
Sorry but that is a pointless article. I want the last 5 minutes of my life back

Old Posted Dec 1, 2014, 11:01 PM

The building design and color changed a bit from the original rendering that came out 2 weeks ago to the 3 new renderings released a few days ago. The first one was more gray and had balconies overlooking the arena side. The latest was more neutral in color and no balconies.

They probably haven't even done planning commission review. I think this is likely going to change a few times yet again.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 6:24 AM
Here we stAy

Either way, that boxy beige design needs to go. Looks too similar to the TV-looking building on Capitol Mall that the Bank of the West Tower replaced (thankfully).

I too think it should be narrower (2 towers?) and open to the arena more. Not necessarily on the street level, but the tower itself shouldn't be a block long. The building would create a wall around the plaza and make the area feel smaller. If we do end up with a block-long rectangular box (hopefully not), let's hope it looks a bit more similar to the first renderings. And as many have previously stated, more units (and even hotel rooms) should be considered too.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 4:18 PM

Yes, in this case I hope the planning commission actually does it's job and requires some improvements to this building before something very ugly gets built.

The first rendering was way better than the latest ones, but I still think taking up the whole block in both instances is and. More narrow and taller. And more residential units.

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 5:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pistola916 View Post

Hyatt Place http://www.sacbee.com/news/business/article4233663.html

Old Posted Dec 2, 2014, 5:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fouroheight68 View Post
That isn't the same project.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2014, 4:39 AM

Would like to see a restaurant on the top floor overlooking the arena and downtown.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Sacramento Area