HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 2:46 AM

The homeless problem in SF is much worse and more apparent than in NYC.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 3:07 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by LosAngelesSportsFan View Post
Also, do you live in California?
only since i was born

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love sosa View Post
only since i was born
Do you live in a big city? Do you not see the rapid degradation of our quality of life here?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 3:39 AM
An Optimistic Realist

I will say that when I went to SF last year, I didn’t see any homeless folks shitting in the sidewalks or experienced theft where I went. So the problem may not be citywide.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 5:43 AM

I was in SF for thanksgiving, and didn't see much of a homeless issue either, at least going by its rep. Granted, I stayed in Union Square/Chinatown/finacial district mostly, so I don't know.
LA as well, yes there more spread around and stuff, but one homeless guy on Sawtellle doesn't mean it's "tent city".

I took some Chicago visitors to Santa Monica, Koreatown and West LA (and San Diego), this weekend and they didn't have alot of homeless comments/observations.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 5:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
What law?

Also, what's the difference between human shit and dog shit that has perpetually been on sidewalks across all flavors of NYC neighborhoods since well before DeBlasio became mayor?
What is the difference? One is from a dog and one is from a human. THIS is the issue. We expect zero from society anymore. If a dog can shit on the sidewalk, why not a dude?!

In any case, most cities outlaw people leaving dog shit out. You have to scoop that shit up or get in the face the possibility of getting in trouble and certainly looked down upon by others.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 6:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
What is the difference? One is from a dog and one is from a human. THIS is the issue. We expect zero from society anymore. If a dog can shit on the sidewalk, why not a dude?!

In any case, most cities outlaw people leaving dog shit out. You have to scoop that shit up or get in the face the possibility of getting in trouble and certainly looked down upon by others.
I would like to add to this that I believe that human excrement has pathogens in it that are more toxic to humans than are the pathogens in animal excrement.

I'm not a scientist, though, so don't quote me on that.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 6:56 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Do you live in a big city? Do you not see the rapid degradation of our quality of life here?
I'm only disputing your original claim.

Quote:
Originally Posted by love sosa View Post
Quote:
A vast majority of us are not happy with these policies but our leaders only listen to the very loud and small minority.
Election results say otherwise.
You are the one who is a loud and small minority. My city just doubled down on the policies that your "vast majority" are against. By popular f***ing demand.

This is California, not Kentucky.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 7:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:

What if a homeless person has to shit and there are no bathrooms available?

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 3:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
I was in SF for thanksgiving, and didn't see much of a homeless issue either, at least going by its rep. Granted, I stayed in Union Square/Chinatown/finacial district mostly, so I don't know.
LA as well, yes there more spread around and stuff, but one homeless guy on Sawtellle doesn't mean it's "tent city".

I took some Chicago visitors to Santa Monica, Koreatown and West LA (and San Diego), this weekend and they didn't have alot of homeless comments/observations.
Union Square is miraculously free of this problem, yet walk about 3 blocks towards the TL and then sh*t gets real. Also, all of SOMA is pretty much filled with homeless. Other parts of the city aren't so bad. The reality is that there are way too many homeless people on the streets. Also the reality is that most of the homeless are intravenous drug users, which comes with a whole unique set of challenges. I remember reading an article not long ago that estimates San Francisco's heroin using population to be higher than that of the whole San Francisco public school system.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 3:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
I will say that when I went to SF last year, I didn’t see any homeless folks shitting in the sidewalks or experienced theft where I went. So the problem may not be citywide.
i’ve lived here my entire adult life (and in the bay area my whole life) and although i’ve seen a lot of weird shit, i’ve never seen anyone shitting on a public sidewalk. i’m sure it happens, but it’s hardly common.

what is every common and depressingly so are destitute and ill (mentally and otherwise) people sleeping on the sidewalk or begging for change. add to that every few days someone wandering around ranting and raving.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 3:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossabreezes View Post
Union Square is miraculously free of this problem, yet walk about 3 blocks towards the TL and then sh*t gets real. Also, all of SOMA is pretty much filled with homeless. Other parts of the city aren't so bad. The reality is that there are way too many homeless people on the streets. Also the reality is that most of the homeless are intravenous drug users, which comes with a whole unique set of challenges. I remember reading an article not long ago that estimates San Francisco's heroin using population to be higher than that of the whole San Francisco public school system.
That's what I mean. It's the same for LA. Some areas have much worse than others, and some areas don't have any at all.
But people love to say it's everywhere you go, all the time yada yada, and it's just not true.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mthd View Post
i’ve lived here my entire adult life (and in the bay area my whole life) and although i’ve seen a lot of weird shit, i’ve never seen anyone shitting on a public sidewalk. i’m sure it happens, but it’s hardly common.

what is every common and depressingly so are destitute and ill (mentally and otherwise) people sleeping on the sidewalk or begging for change. add to that every few days someone wandering around ranting and raving.
Yea, It's not common. And California's homeless are easier to deal with than DC or Chicago's imo. They're nowhere near as aggressive asking for money.
I've been followed/harrassed in Chicago/DC/Baltimore etc way too often for a dollar. That doesn't really happen here.

Old Posted Jan 3, 2020, 11:53 PM

Quote:

It's illegal to leave dog crap on the sidewalk in NYC too, but it's still there. I don't like dog crap or human crap. At least the humans leaving human crap on the sidewalk are likely mentally unstable. The humans leaving dog crap on the sidewalk are doing it because they're being lazy.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 12:23 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Especially troublesome if its wet, and not in solid form. Very though to pick it up. I suppose if its a splatter on the sidewalk or street, don't pick it up. If its solid, I'll pick it up. If it looks like a brown water painting, I'm not bothering. In the suburbs though, if your in a wooded area, you can just quickly use the leash to pull the dog onto the grass or away from a path in the woods. Its good for the environment on a side note. Dog poop contains nitrogen, phosphorus, and other elements that make plants grow... so the plants grow... animals eat them... they poop... and life continues growing.

Harder to get away with it in a city. I'll typically take my dog out before I go for a walk. Just makes the likely hood of street pooping less common.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 12:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LA21st View Post
That's what I mean. It's the same for LA. Some areas have much worse than others, and some areas don't have any at all.
But people love to say it's everywhere you go, all the time yada yada, and it's just not true.
It really depends on your daily routine. You can go weeks without seeing a single homeless person in LA. Where I live and work it's not an issue. Most people commute from suburb to suburb in their cars. But if you live or work in the middle of the city or take public transit everyday you might run into it quite a bit. The difference in SF is that it's in closer proximity to nicer areas of the city. It would be like if Skid Row was transplanted to the westside or something.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrunner View Post
It really depends on your daily routine. You can go weeks without seeing a single homeless person in LA. Where I live and work it's not an issue. Most people commute from suburb to suburb in their cars. But if you live or work in the middle of the city or take public transit everyday you might run into it quite a bit. The difference in SF is that it's in closer proximity to nicer areas of the city. It would be like if Skid Row was transplanted to the westside or something.
Some districts of westside L.A. have lots of homeless, often sleeping in cars and vans, not so much in sidewalk tents, although that happens too. Sometimes they camp right on the beach. Venice and Ocean Park have lots of homeless. Better to sleep on the beach than on skid row I suppose. Other parts on the westside have very few homeless. Beverly Hills for example seems to have few homeless. Apparently security and police somehow shoo them away. Is that legal??? In the Bay Area, apparently lots of homeless camp out in the hills, e.g. Santa Cruz Mountains and Oakland/Berkeley Hills. Same in L.A., where homeless camps are in the Santa Monica Mountains and Hollywood Hills.

Old Posted Jan 4, 2020, 5:08 PM

As I was saying, there are many reasons for this but I think people just deciding to live elsewhere because they find what's going on in CA offensive is part of it:

Quote:
Zillow experts predict Bay Area will be the nation’s worst housing market in 2020
By Mark Calvey – Senior Reporter, San Francisco Business Times
Jan 2, 2020, 5:42pm EST

Economists and other real estate experts surveyed by Zillow on their 2020 outlook for 25 of the largest housing markets expect the Bay Area to have the worst housing market in the country.

The San Francisco and San Jose metro areas were the only two regions where home prices are expected to drop in 2020. Zillow’s survey found that 57% of respondents see prices falling in the five-county Bay Area, which includes San Francisco and the East Bay, while half anticipate home prices falling this year in the San Jose area.

“The Bay Area has hit an affordability ceiling. There aren’t that many potential buyers left, even with lower interest rates this year,” said Zillow economist Jeff Tucker, who quickly added that the Bay Area still benefits from its concentration of some of the nation’s highest-paying jobs.

Of the survey’s 10 markets most likely to underperform in 2020, six are in California, with San Francisco, San Jose, Los Angeles, Cincinnati, Ohio, and Sacramento making up the bottom five. . . . .
https://www.bizjournals.com/sanfranc...n-s-worst.html

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions