HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 7:30 AM

More on Throop and Batchelder

Thanks, ethereal_reality and Tetsu, for your kind remarks. I did some research on this matter as part of my research concerning the Wilson family, who occupied our home from 1902 to 1997. We in fact purchased the home from the grandson of the woman who bought it from the builder and original owner.

You can read more about Throop (pronounced "Troop", by the way) and Batchelder in a post I wrote for my blog at http://ocriblecoblis.blogspot.com/20...an-wilson.html. It's a biographical sketch of Lucian Wilson, who attended Throop and was one of Batchelder's students who went on to be his partner in the tile business.

Last edited by Otis Criblecoblis; Apr 1, 2015 at 7:33 AM. Reason: To eliminate a dangling participle.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:29 AM
BANNED

Only a memory.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by tovangar2 View Post
The two-story site of the Coconut Grove wasn't an addition, it was original. The main hotel entrance was on the west (Mariposa Ave) side:

charles champlin

(notice there's no pool in this view)

The configuration is echoed in the school now on the site. It contains the auditorium:

wiki

I knew the hotel best after it had all but ceased operations in the early 80s, but still operated the Play Deck pool area as a private club. A friend was a member. We went often.

The last time I was there was during the demo. A gate on 8th street had been left unattended and open, so I drove in. It was awful. The Play Deck, once so glamorous, was rubble. I got as far as about the back of the main building before a security guard stopped me. I said I was looking for Wilshire Blvd and he gave me directions out.

My brother-in-law and his wife lived at the Embassy Apartments on the Ambassador block, a nice, generous building. Lovely rooms.
Tovangar: I read last week that yes the part of the Ambassador Hotel we now call the Cocoanut Grove was not built as the Grove but as the hotel's original main ballroom. When that room was not doing well, the owners then remodeled and named it as the exotic Cocoanut Grove with a new entrance.

The paper mache palms came from a Hollywood movie set. They hired quality French chefs and local big name bands for entertainment. Bing and Merv sang there in the 1940s. It evidently worked, as people flocked to it for decades. I know my parents did attend when out-of-town friends came to visit us in the 1950s.

It could seat 1000 and according to the Grove history I read, the food was not your typical meat and potato hotel fare but was unique quality food.

It was before my time and only lives as a historical place to me.

Great story Tov about being ''lost'' and driving around the demolition site...LOL.

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Apr 1, 2015 at 4:09 PM.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 9:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckaluck View Post

1811 Ocean Front Club Casa Del Mar (Currently Pritikin Center)
http://vickielester.files.wordpress....1926.jpg?w=800
The Casa Del Mar in 1943 when it was one of the clubs and hotels taken over by the army "for returning heroes".

eBay

A similar view today.

GSV

The caption about the commandeered clubs and hotels also mentions the Grand Hotel. After a quick search, I found this picture in 'Early Santa Monica' by Louise B. Gabriel, Santa Monica Historical Society Museum.

books.google.com

The Sea Castle Apartments at 1725 Ocean Front Walk.

Google Maps

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post

It was before my time and only lives as a historical place to me.
The Ambassador will live forever in films.
8 1/2 minute clip compilation:

https://vimeo.com/68418553
www.after68.com
(first posted here by dragonsky)

Pretty good analysis of what's wrong with what happened at the Ambassador site: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul...hools-20100718

I remain grateful that the Wilshire frontage wasn't sold off for retail, as that was LAUSD's plan at one time.

Last edited by tovangar2; Jul 1, 2015 at 12:25 AM. Reason: add link

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:17 PM

Quote:

www.after68.com

Pretty good analysis of what's wrong with what happened at the Ambassador site: http://articles.latimes.com/2010/jul...hools-20100718

I remain grateful that the Wilshire frontage wasn't sold off for retail, as that was LAUSD's plan at one time.

Thank you for those links and your posts. The Times article is definitely on the mark regarding the Ambassador's successor. It also seems applicable to so many other replacements mentioned in recent posts. Homages are rarely better than the originals. When it comes to preserved facades, it's hard to beat Chasen's.

Re, the video, did I notice a mixup with the Polo Lounge at approximately 3:29? I do not recall that wall paper at the Ambassador, but that was possibly due to having sand in my eyes after a visit to the Lido.

1949 - Beverly Hills Hotel
http://jpg2.lapl.org/pics31/00050283.jpg

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 8:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsjansen View Post
I know i'm new to this forum, (i have no idea why i hadn't stumbled on it before....A. I'm and Architect....B. I adore and am a complete L.A. Noir addict!)

I keep going back over the 9 months of this thread to make sure that i am not posting anything that has been posted before. If i fail in that endeavor, and do post something that has been covered previously, i do apologize......anyway,

no LA Noir forum is complete without a nod to Los Angeles Police Department Noir.

1st up is the man who's number one job was to quash Noir, Police Chief James Edgar "Two Guns" Davis

UCLA library

The most famous crime scene in Los Angeles History. The discovered severed torso of Elizabeth Short the Black Dahlia in
Leimert Park South Los Angeles

Bruce Henstell

OK, maybe this one ties the Black Dahlia for being the most famous murder scene. Benjamin Bugsy Siegel rubbed out in Beverly Hills

Delmar Watson Photography

The usual Suspects. a 1940 LAPD Lineup

USC Digital Archive

1930 LAPD Detective Squad Group group photo

Wesselman Collection/The Williams Partnership

And one more shot of the follies. in 1954 a korean war vet who had developed a crush on chorus girl Loretta Miller, went to the theater in pure desperation after never getting a response to his numerous love letters to her. Put a gun to his head, while clutching her 8 X 10 glossy photo, and put an end to his misery. The police found a note he had scrawled on a nearby wall which read........."Good-bye Angel Face"...........

Delmar Watson Photography

1955 - Virginia Hill Hauser (a known "associate" of Benjamin Segal)
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00106/00106507.jpg

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 9:04 PM

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 9:13 PM

Scroll right, me brothers, scroll right...

County Courthouse panorama, ca.1898

Stitched together three images from William Henry Jackson (1843-1942) from
about 1898. I'm guessing the date here based on the fact the Broadway
tunnel is still missing but the road grade for California Street has been
lowered. I'm thinking the tunnel is a year or two away. It opened for business
in 1901. Starting on the far left, we have the Poundcake Hill High School
building (medium greyish with the single belfry) resting now just off of
California Street west of Hill Street. It has been here since 1882 when it was
moved to make way for the 1888 County Courthouse upon which Mr. Jackson
has perched with his camera. These images predate the more widely known
C.C. Pierce photographs which are so similar. The missing tunnel is the tell-
tale difference. To the right of the Poundcake schoolhouse is the second Los
Angeles High School building on Hill Street with it's four stories and clock
tower. An additional wing of the high school will be built to the right (or north
side) of this building but that hasn't happened yet either, so we have a clear
view of the J.W. Robinson Mansion above Sunset (likely still Bellevue here)
Boulevard. Now we can come down here to the lower left corner of the image
and find the WCTU building on the NW corner of Broadway and Temple Street.
It stretches to it's full five stories but will ultimately give up the top three
floors to the tightening earthquake regulations and finally be torn down in
1956 or '57. At the head of lower Broadway is the unimproved shale face of
what will soon become the south portal of the Broadway tunnel carrying the
roadbed through Fort Moore Hill to Sunset Boulevard. Above this shale face is
the upper Broadway roadbed with Hancock Banning's house on the right with
the lone horse in the corral. The center of the image is dominated by Buena
Vista (or Justicia) running from Temple Street (out-of-frame at the bottom) to
it's crest at Fort Moore Place before it goes out-of-sight over and around the
shoulder of Fort Moore Hill to Sunset Boulevard. In the distance we can see
the San Fernando Hotel at Ord and N. Spring Street although the Sunset
Hotel, it's neighbor, is hidden by tree branches. Temple Street emerges on the
right running diagonally across the lower right corner of the image past New
High Street, a hard-to-see Spring Street and finally to Main Street. Aliso
Street runs directly away from the camera in the upper right quadrant and on
Main Street we can pick out the Baker Block, the Masonic Lodge, the Merced
Theater and the Pico House. The Hip roof and three cupolas of the Lugo House
face a still largely empty Plaza.

Denver Public Library digital collections

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 9:16 PM

I lived just off Overland in the 1980's and ate at this Ships all the time.
I'll never forget the time when I went there one morning with my friend after
a hard night of partying. Ships had toasters on the tables and would give
you baskets of bread to toast yourself. My friend and I were so hungover,
we burned at least six pieces of toast before we got it right.

I was crushed when this place was remodeled into a Starbucks...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 9:48 PM

LOL, Kevin!

Quote:
Do you remember this? Shipman's son reopened the Culver City restaurant, but I don't know how long it lasted:
http://articles.latimes.com/1995-10-..._1_culver-city
I vaguely remember that it reopened and we went a time or two after that, but, obviously, it was just not the same.

There is, currently, a SHIP's website:

SHIP'S Coffee Shop - The Official Website
http://www.shipscoffeeshop.com/

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 9:55 PM

Quote:
I had to laugh at this line from the article, though.

...the park includes a series of quotations from Kennedy, who was shot and killed inside the hotel on a June night in 1968, and a few others.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2015, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourmaline View Post
1955 - Virginia Hill Hauser (a known "associate" of Benjamin Segal)
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00106/00106507.jpg
Good old Virginia Hill. Outsmarted them all, crooks and cops alike, until something became too much for her and she took her own life in Switzerland at age 49. The First Lady of Noir.

Cheers,

Earl

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Re, the video, did I notice a mixup with the Polo Lounge at approximately 3:29? I do not recall that wall paper at the Ambassador
Well, of course, I dunno for sure Tourmaline, but, "Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" (1998) heavily set-dressed the Ambassador as the Beverly Hills Hotel, using the Martinique wallpaper and other elements. That might explain "Must Love Dogs" (2005) @3:29 and "Bobby" (2006) @0:30, but not "That Thing You Do" (1996) @5:14. I think it's the Ambassador, maybe just b/c films are there to fool us :-)

The Martinique / "Banana Leaf" wallpaper, designed in 1942 by Don Loper for the BHH, is still in production, btw, if you want some: http://martiniquewallpaper.com/collections.html:

martinique

--------------------------------------------

Thank you MichaelRyerson for the gorgeous panorama. I'll have to check again, does this mean we have a full 360 from the Courthouse? Finally scrolling all the way to the right, after enjoying everything in the view, it was fun to find a tiny slice of the Temple Block on the right margin.

Last edited by tovangar2; Apr 2, 2015 at 6:49 AM.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 1:28 AM

Quote:
Lucretia Garfield's First Lady tenure: 4 March, 1881 - 19 September, 1881

1001 Buena Vista Street, Pasadena. Former First Lady's picturesque abode.
http://www.family-images.com/ca/CA%2...ld%20Color.jpg
Just passed by here last weekend on a little "see what I haven't seen in a while drive." The Longley house next door to the east, at 1005 Buena Vista Street in South Pasadena, is also a Greene & Greene and dates from 1897, when the Greenes were still experimenting with late Victorian/Classical styling. You can see a little of at left in the postcard above.

Hometown-Pasadena

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 1:42 AM

Quote:

www.after68.com

I remember there was a low-budget remake of the film Toolbox Murders in 2004 that utilized the Ambassador as an apartment building. It was really clever actually - they used the narrow side facade and cast it as the front facade. The way they shot it, it looked very convincing (and there were also a bunch of great shots of the interior as well). Here's the DVD cover that gives you some idea of how they did it:

Wikipedia

Also, thank you Michael Ryerson for that amazing picture-stitch panorama!

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 1:53 AM

Quote:
Thank you MichaelRyerson for the gorgeous panorama. I'll have to check again, does this mean we have a full 360 from the Courthouse? Finally scrolling all the way to the right, after enjoying everything in the view, it was fun to find a tiny slice of the Temple Block on the right margin.

here you go...

Looking east from the County Courthouse, ca.1898

Another Jackson glass negative. Temple Block left middle distance. A sign on the Temple Block reads: "Putnam, Commercial Photographer." Other signs read: "J.J. O'Brien & Co. Dry Goods & Notions" "Free Dental Clinic" "Cooperative Tailor Shop" "Plumbing, Steam & Irrigating Supplies" and "M.A. Newmark & Co. El Palencia Cigars." Beyond the Temple Block we are looking directly down Requena Street (soon to become Market Street) with the Amestoy Building on the left and the United States Hotel on the right. To the immediate right of the Temple Block is the free-standing, trapezoidal J.A. Bullard Building. L.A. Orphanage on the horizon

DPLdc

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 4:05 AM

Thank you again MichaelRyerson. Now we're just missing the slice between the Hopperstead residence on Court Street at Hill and the WCTU Temple on Temple and Broadway.

It's great to see the Temple Block rooftops and how those buildings fitted together.

I dunno what Templeito was smoking when he approved the design for the new, front Temple Block building, but I can't help liking it:

lapl (detail)

The skinny, two-story Dye Works building in the lower-left corner of the panorama above, seems to have remained undisturbed when the International Bank Building/Bank of Italy Building was built abutting it. The Dye Works was saved along with its larger neighbor and, I believe, lasted until 1955.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelRyerson View Post
L.A. Orphanage on the horizon
That building was apparently both the orphanage and the poorhouse. Sarah Bixby Smith, whose family fortunes were tied to the weather because of their livestock interests, remembers the effect the building had on her as a child in "Adobe Days" (1931):

"Beyond the river and up the hill on the other side stood, stark and lonely, the 'Poor House', the first unit of the present General Hospital. Many a time when the skies forbore to rain I had it pointed out to me as my probable ultimate destination....So, if the sun shone too constantly and the year wore on to Christmas without a storm the ominous words, 'a dry year' were heard and the bare building across the river loomed menacingly."

---------------------------------------------

I know that short clip compilation was far from exhaustive Tetsu, so it's nice to know of another Ambassador film. And we've hardly touched on the Ambassador's TV appearances.

Toolbox Murders (2004):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=USnuqsQObvM

The after68.com website has a list of films, TV shows and music videos filmed at the Ambassador, probably also not exhaustive: http://after68.com/ambassador-hotel-...geles-history/

--------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinW View Post
I lived just off Overland in the 1980's and ate at this Ships all the time.
I'll never forget the time when I went there one morning with my friend after
a hard night of partying. Ships had toasters on the tables and would give
you baskets of bread to toast yourself. My friend and I were so hungover,
we burned at least six pieces of toast before we got it right.

I was crushed when this place was remodeled into a Starbucks...
October 2012:

January 2015:

gsv

Last edited by tovangar2; Apr 2, 2015 at 8:42 PM. Reason: add stuff

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 6:16 AM

181 S La Brea location serviced cars for 30+ years. Starting out as "Motor Tires, Inc., becoming a Goodyear affiliate and later becoming Parkhouse Motors and Jagsville USA through 1960. Utter Pontiac was at 200 S. La Brea.

181 S La Brea - Contemporary
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...11411414_o.jpg

1931 - 181 South La Brea Avenue, Motor Tires, Inc.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/65330/rec/1

Would you like to ride in my beautiful balloon?

La Brea and W Second Street

Free Air

Used Car Censorship

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/co...id/65330/rec/1

Bye Bye Exide

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 6:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BifRayRock View Post

1917 - Chaplin Studios under construction.
http://amstudios.net/htdoc/Media/Cha...tructionSM.jpg

1917 - La Brea Ave looking north
http://amstudios.net/htdoc/Media/LaBreaDelongSM.jpg

Old Posted Apr 2, 2015, 6:49 AM

Another lost gem?

1937 - "L. E. Kent and Company (6022 Wilshire Boulevard) and Majestic Upholstery (6026 Wilshire Boulevard)."
http://jpg1.lapl.org/00098/00098003.jpg

Last edited by Tourmaline; Apr 2, 2015 at 5:32 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos