HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 10:37 PM

(Edit: Make references to "Budlong" read "Juliet." Thanks, Lomara!)

Scott Charles' great photo reminded me that my mother, aunt, and uncle visited L.A. some time in--if I'm not mistaken--the 1930s. Oddly, it seems that they only took a few (very modest) photos, and those were . . . of themselves around the place where they were staying, at the corner of Budlong and 24th.

The residence where they stayed seems to have survived; but the other corners of the intersection have changed. Here is the place today:

Here are (left to right) my mother, uncle, and aunt in front of it (observe the pilaster, a survivor; and we see the address, 2401):

Now you can see the opposite corner, behind my mother and uncle:

And parked along the street--around the corner on the side of the place, I think--is one of my mother's suitors, the pipe-smoking Max Good (now there's a name!), which I include because you can see a bit down the street, and I'm sure our auto aficionados can help date the pic by the car(s). I hope Max isn't smoking Nicotiana glauca.

If they took other pix, right now they're probably in a box somewhere in Nebraska.

Last edited by odinthor; Feb 19, 2018 at 2:40 AM. Reason: Correct street name!

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
Looks to be the same building in both pictures. The transom windows have been covered to allow signs in the later picture.

Some aerials of the Hollywood Blvd./Gower St. intersection. First in 1941 showing 6066 on the corner and the short hop to 6124.

http://mil.library.ucsb.edu/ap_indexes/FrameFinder/ 1941 - Flight C_7595, Frame 26

By 1962 6066 stands isolated on the corner.

http://mil.library.ucsb.edu/ap_indexes/FrameFinder/ 1962 - Flight C_24400_10-174

By 1971 it's ...

http://mil.library.ucsb.edu/ap_indexes/FrameFinder/ Flight C_2755_21-28

In one of the other pictures in the 1952 set of tallman Max Palmer outside the cafe at 6124, we get a glimpse of 6066 in the background, up at the intersection, between Max and his companion.

http://digitallibrary.usc.edu/cdm/re...oll44/id/81776

The lack of CD's for the relevant years hinders pinpointing the span of the cafe at each location. It was at 6066 in 1940 but how long before? Sometime between 1940 and 1951 it moved to 6124. It closed at that location between 1956 and 1960.

Last CD reference -

Noir Noir, thanks so much for your additional research! In the aerials, I am guessing the longish building on the right side of the photos and north of Hollywood Blvd. is the Florentine Gardens building, since it is still there and in all of the aerial shots!

Thank you to HossC for alerting me to a similar photo on LAPL that shows a bit more of the
building in question. They catalogue it as late 1920's. Both photos together below.

LAPL

Old Posted Feb 18, 2018, 11:01 PM

To add another photo to the 1928 and 1940 shots we have seen of this corner lately, here is one of the
same location from LAPL; Hollywood Blvd., looking east from Gower in 1905.

LAPL

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 12:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post
Some aerials of the Hollywood Blvd./Gower St. intersection. First in 1941 showing 6066 on the corner and the short hop to 6124.

http://mil.library.ucsb.edu/ap_indexes/FrameFinder/ 1941 - Flight C_7595, Frame 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Noir Noir, thanks so much for your additional research! In the aerials, I am guessing the longish building on the right side of the photos and north of Hollywood Blvd. is the Florentine Gardens building, since it is still there and in all of the aerial shots!
The Florentine Gardens was missing from those aerials. It's a little more to the right. Here it is in 1941 at 5955 Hollywood Blvd. Nowadays it's numbered 5951.

Last edited by Noir_Noir; Jun 28, 2018 at 12:01 AM. Reason: Replacement image host

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 1:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by odinthor View Post
Scott Charles' great photo reminded me that my mother, aunt, and uncle visited L.A. some time in--if I'm not mistaken--the 1930s. Oddly, it seems that they only took a few (very modest) photos, and those were . . . of themselves around the place where they were staying, at the corner of Budlong and 24th.

The residence where they stayed seems to have survived; but the other corners of the intersection have changed. Here is the place today:

Here are (left to right) my mother, uncle, and aunt in front of it (observe the pilaster, a survivor; and we see the address, 2401):

Now you can see the opposite corner, behind my mother and uncle:

I really don't think that's the correct intersection. The homes left at 24th and Budlong just don't line up with your photo of the house at 2401, odinthor.

I drove the googlemobile around and I think I found the right house at 2401 Juliet. Take a look, and see for yourself.

The frieze(sp?) above the windows, and the curved walkways seal the deal for me here.

2401 Juliet St. by Kimberly, on Flickr

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 1:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bristolian View Post
It looks to me like an illustration of the Coliseum on the border of your photo. Do you know the reason for this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Charles
Hi, Bristolian - I’ve noticed the Coliseum illustration, too. As to its meaning, sadly, I have no idea.
I come across photographs with this same border every once in awhile on ebay. I always assumed it was for commemorating
the 1932 Los Angeles Olympic Games.

update:
..........just found this pic.

As you can see...the Olympic border is slightly different than the Auto Wheel Cafe border.

Scott Charles' photograph is cropped off a bit on the sides. Those are BEARS (all we see are legs)

___

Olympic photo description:

"The participation of Hollywood celebrities like actor and filmmaker Douglas Fairbanks,
pictured here with Japanese swimmers, helped make the 1932 Olympics a success."

LA84 Foundation via KCET

_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 19, 2018 at 3:38 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 2:20 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I come across photographs with this same border every once in awhile on ebay. I assumed it was for commemorating

update:

As you can see; the Olympic border is slightly different than the Auto Wheel Cafe border.

Scott Charles' photograph is cropped off a bit on the sides. Those are BEARS (all we see are legs)

___

The participation of Hollywood celebrities like actor and filmmaker Douglas Fairbanks,
pictured here with Japanese swimmers, helped make the 1932 Olympics a success. Courtesy of the LA84 Foundation.[/SIZE]

http://natedsanders.com/ItemImages/000044/50091_lg.jpeg

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 2:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomara View Post
I really don't think that's the correct intersection. The homes left at 24th and Budlong just don't line up with your photo of the house at 2401, odinthor.

I drove the googlemobile around and I think I found the right house at 2401 Juliet. Take a look, and see for yourself.

The frieze(sp?) above the windows, and the curved walkways seal the deal for me here.

2401 Juliet St. by Kimberly, on Flickr
Yes, you're absolutely right. In another pic I didn't post, the lamps shown in the modern pic are shown (so they're survivors). The "Budlong" was what my mother had remembered fifty years later when we were going through the photos. I wonder why that stuck in her mind . . . ?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 2:53 AM

Quote:
I come across photographs with this same border every once in awhile.
I assumed it was for commemorating the 1932 Los Angeles Olympic Games.

update:
……….just found this pic.

As you can see; the Olympic border is slightly different than the Auto Wheel Cafe border.

Scott Charles’ photograph is cropped off a bit on the sides. Those are BEARS (and foliage). All we see of the bears are legs.
Very interesting, ER! In reading this thread I never cease to be amazed at the knowledge you folks here have!

If we apply that theory to my photo of the Auto Wheel Cafe at the time of the Olympics, Uncle Jack (born 2-18-25) would be seven years old, and my father (born 5-16-22) would be ten years old in the photo.

As noted previously, I am no good at judging the age of children. Do the two pictures below look like ages 7 and 10?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 3:24 AM

Scott Charles, the bear(s) might have the year written inside it. (I just can't remember for sure)

Did you say your aunt has the original photo? You might ask her to look.
_____

P.S. On closer inspection...the bear on the right appears to have something written on it.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 19, 2018 at 3:45 AM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 4:24 AM

Quote:
Scott Charles, the bear(s) might have the year written inside it. (I just can't remember for sure)

Did you say your aunt has the original photo? You might ask her to look.
_____

P.S. On closer inspection...the bear on the right appears to have something written on it.
Unfortunately, I think that the edges of the original photo were cut off well before I scanned it. Perhaps someone cut the edges off so the picture would fit in a frame?

On my original, very high resolution scan, you can very clearly see where the edge of the photo ends (and the background of the scanner begins). Plus, after decades of making my living as a professional graphic artist I know I would never crop out any decorative borders if I were scanning an image like this - especially if they had the year printed on them!

Having said that, I zoomed in on the edge of the bear, and to my eyes, it looks like the text on the border simply said “LA” - please see my animated reconstruction below:

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 4:26 AM

That's it! Excellent sleuthing SC.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 4:40 AM

Here's the pic including the lantern at 24th and Juliet:

My mother looks tense. I suspect she's thinking, "Watch where you put your hands, Max!"

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 7:05 AM

Quote:
Yes, you're absolutely right. In another pic I didn't post, the lamps shown in the modern pic are shown (so they're survivors). The "Budlong" was what my mother had remembered fifty years later when we were going through the photos. I wonder why that stuck in her mind . . . ?
Budlong is only one block west of Juliet, so maybe they were always crossing Budlong, or parking on Budlong. It is right there. And it goes further north than Juliet.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 6:20 PM

Who's he ?

Quote:
Here's the pic including the lantern at 24th and Juliet:

My mother looks tense. I suspect she's thinking, "Watch where you put your hands, Max!"
Now we know everybody except the man in the middle.

Last edited by AlvaroLegido; Feb 19, 2018 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 7:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlvaroLegido View Post
We know everybody except the man in the middle.
I think he's my aunt's date for the occasion. (Considering the proximity of USC to the location, we are likely seeing some Trojans here.)

While my mother was somewhat austere, my aunt was inevitably bright and cheerful and fun to be with, which always comes out in her pix, young or old. She and I were very close.

The photo is likely being taken by one of the several gal pals who (I know from other pix I didn't post) were in attendance.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 9:54 PM

Quote:
I come across photographs with this same border every once in awhile on ebay. I always assumed it was for commemorating

update:

As you can see...the Olympic border is slightly different than the Auto Wheel Cafe border.

___

"The participation of Hollywood celebrities like actor and filmmaker Douglas Fairbanks,
pictured here with Japanese swimmers, helped make the 1932 Olympics a success."

LA84 Foundation via KCET

_

Yep, here are a couple of snaps of my mother's with the same border. There are others, too, and they all have '1937' or '1938' written on them.

PS: Has anyone ever heard of a "SOUTHERN MANOR" in L.A. from that time period? Was it an apartment building maybe? A restaurant?

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 10:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Los Angeles Past View Post
Yep, here are a couple of snaps of my mother's with the same border. There are others, too, and they all have '1937' or '1938' written on them.

Wow, thanks for posting those pictures, LA Past! If you don’t mind me borrowing your complete border, it seems my family photo would have originally looked like this:

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 10:41 PM
BANNED

Are we seeing a bear on those photo borders because of this?

http://worldartsme.com/images/ca-flag-clipart-1.jpg

Old Posted Feb 19, 2018, 11:07 PM

All signs point to yes CBD.

Here's another interesting border....with what looks likes, changable dates at the bottom.

ETSY

Is the young lad's photograph a separate piece of the design

this small notch makes me think it was slipped into the border

& at the bottom of the boy's pic, the shadows make me think there's a small space between the photo and the border.

theory #1
A photograph was then taken of the two pieces together. (yes, it's exhausting )

theory #2
It's still in two pieces.

theory #3
The young lad was actually seated behind a large cut-out (the border)
_

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Feb 20, 2018 at 2:01 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos