HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 6:58 PM
Change is good

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug View Post
What happens to the current location?
Quote:
My hunch? Within months, there will be an announcement of some kind of civic museum in the current RAM space.
http://www2.canada.com/components/pr...ba3b&sponsor=#

Also mentioned in the article - High speed rail station. How would they get high speed rail to here? Tunnel? from where? High level bridge? Maybe something a do with new walterdale bridge?

More announcements to come?

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 8:03 PM

Not sure if it was that article or another but it stated it would be easier and faster to loop around the city and use the Yellowhead somehow.

Old Posted Apr 9, 2011, 8:07 PM

There has already been a follow up article that said the train would loop around the city and enter from the north east using exsisting right of way... This, in my opinion, would actually work out better so that the top of the high level could be used for lrt rather than hsr...

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 3:55 PM
Community Guy

Does anyone else see the Mead Centre for American Theatre (wash. D.C.) in the 'concept' of the RAM?

(http://www.washingtonlife.com/wordpr...rena_Stage.jpg)

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 4:21 PM

Actually, The concept drawings for RAM are very similar to a Chinese high speed rail terminal

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So I got that goin' for me, which is nice. Carl Spackler, 1980

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 4:22 PM

I also saw some elements Berlins Central Train Station. As well as the museum of civilization.

But that's just my mechanical eye of things.

Last edited by Airboy; Apr 13, 2011 at 5:33 PM.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2011, 5:18 PM

Absolutely agree

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 1:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harrison View Post
Hopefully something is done with the Remand across the street before the museum is opened. Anyone up for some 1-bedroom condos that come with a prison cell?
That is not going to happen...purpose built building with MASSIVE concrete walls etc. The cost to demolish and make it remotely livable would be prohibitive. And who would want to buy at that location? It might, however be great for a hostel or possibly office and creative space for artists etc. That assumes it is turned over by the Province to the City...but with Harper wanting to built scores of lock-up facilities to imprison half the population (those that are not Tory and anyone posting on FB that supports anyone but him maybe it will have a second life as a holding tank.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 2:50 PM

I was talking to a buddy at the AB goverment that was involved. The `concept` in the video was just a place holder, nothing else. The final design will look much different.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 3:12 PM
HVAC guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
That is not going to happen...purpose built building with MASSIVE concrete walls etc. The cost to demolish and make it remotely livable would be prohibitive. And who would want to buy at that location? It might, however be great for a hostel or possibly office and creative space for artists etc. That assumes it is turned over by the Province to the City...but with Harper wanting to built scores of lock-up facilities to imprison half the population (those that are not Tory and anyone posting on FB that supports anyone but him maybe it will have a second life as a holding tank.
Word on the street is that it may be re-purposed as a sort of vertical transitional housing facility.... highest needs on the main floor, and as people become more self sufficient they move up in to more permananet quarters higher up in the tower

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 3:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 240glt View Post
Word on the street is that it may be re-purposed as a sort of vertical transitional housing facility.... highest needs on the main floor, and as people become more self sufficient they move up in to more permananet quarters higher up in the tower
That place requires a lot of work, even gutting it will require removing all of the residue from cigarettes over the years. AT least there will be secure storage areas in the basement.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 4:13 PM
HVAC guru

^ Yes I heard the place is in tough shape but I've got to think that the bones are okay.... this is just a potential use from what I heard... nothing concrete has been decided yet

Old Posted Apr 14, 2011, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dansk View Post
I was talking to a buddy at the AB goverment that was involved. The `concept` in the video was just a place holder, nothing else. The final design will look much different.
correct - place holder is an excellent description. the selected bridging consultant (those submissions are due today) will develop and provide a conceptual design for comparison against the design build teams' submissions. the bridging consultant's conceptual design will remain an internal document that will not be made available to the design build proponents but will be used to write the "procurement" documents and will be used to assess the design build teams' submissions along with constructability, budget, schedule and "other factors that constitute a complete proposal".

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 2:12 AM
ABOVE people like you

Playing with the Big Boys

I understand from my friends at Clark Builders that a very large American contractor has approached them to submit a JV proposal for the museum.
Look out PCL and company the big boy is coming to town for a visit.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2011, 1:59 PM
Community Guy

That would potentially be a good thing so that our overall capacity is still decently strong for other projects coming down the tube.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Crane View Post
I understand from my friends at Clark Builders that a very large American contractor has approached them to submit a JV proposal for the museum.
Look out PCL and company the big boy is coming to town for a visit.
The big boys have already been here for 40 years in the industrial sector. Fluor, bechtel, kbr, etc.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 2:15 AM
ABOVE people like you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhatdan View Post
The big boys have already been here for 40 years in the industrial sector. Fluor, bechtel, kbr, etc.
To clarify I meant in the larger commercial sector not industrial hence the use of word big boy not boys.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tower Crane View Post
To clarify I meant in the larger commercial sector not industrial hence the use of word big boy not boys.
This is an extract from ENR's list of largest contractors for 2010...
1 1 Bechtel, San Francisco, Calif.†
2 2 Fluor Corp., Irving, Texas†
3 4 KBR, Houston, Texas†
4 5 Kiewit Corp., Omaha, Neb.†
5 3 The Turner Corp., New York, N.Y.†
6 6 Skanska USA, New York, N.Y.†
7 8 Jacobs, Pasadena, Calif.
8 7 PCL Construction Enterprises Inc., Denver, Colo.†
9 10 Tutor Perini Corp., Sylmar, Calif.†
10 11 Foster Wheeler AG, Clinton, N.J.†
11 14 Clark Group, Bethesda, Md.†

- http://enr.construction.com/toplists...rs/001-100.asp

This is a very comprehensive list, so I imagine whoever you are talking about is on it somewhere.

The only ones above PCL (only the US portion) that don't already have a play in the Alberta market is Skanska, USA & The Turner Corp.

With that in mind, these are some major companies that are very established in the US. From what I know these companies are similar in billings to PCL as a whole (6-7billion). The tone of your statement seems to imply differently that someone much larger is coming in?

I can see Kiewit pushing harder at the market as they have been growing their Alberta business over the last 5 years fairly aggressively.

Old Posted Jun 5, 2011, 9:09 PM

I would love to see a high speed rail station as part of the station lads developement.

Old Posted Jun 7, 2011, 1:56 AM

We will see...todays NR

"We will be engaging the skill, creativity, and vision of international architects and engineers to deliver a museum that reflects both the passion of Albertans for Alberta’s nature and culture as well as its place in history; past , present and future."

Through the Request for Qualifications (RFQ) stage, which closes June 22, up to five of the top qualified respondents will be invited to submit proposals in the Request for Proposal (RFP) stage. From the RFP submissions, the proponent offering the best value for the budget will be awarded the project contract in September 2011. The design-build RFQ can be accessed through the Alberta Purchasing Connection at www.purchasingconnection.ca.

http://alberta.ca/home/NewsFrame.cfm...482BF5C5D.html

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton