HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Closed Thread

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry King View Post
That park structure they're building in Hudson yards is hideous and I don't get it... who wants to climb around on all those steps? Like you climb up and do what? No real views, doesn't look like a place to sit down and people watch. Whole thing is very weird, waste of money
I think it looks epic and will be a huge, iconic tourist attraction when open. I guess time will prove one of us right.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:34 PM

Jefferson, Philadelphia University merger to become effective July 1

Quote:
Nearly 20 months after first disclosing their courtship, the marriage of Thomas Jefferson University and Philadelphia University is about to be official.

The merger of the two institutions will become effective July 1, creating the fifth largest university in Philadelphia. It will operate under the Thomas Jefferson University name.

University officials said Thursday their approach to education will be to embrace interprofessional and transdisciplinary approaches to learning supported by design and systems thinking, innovation, entrepreneurship, empathy, and the “modes of thought central to the liberal arts and scientific inquiry.”

The school will encompass students pursuing careers in fields including medicine, science, architecture, design, fashion, textiles, health, business, and engineering.

“Although the world is changing rapidly, higher education is stuck using old models to teach students how things used to be done,” said Dr. Stephen K. Klasko, president and CEO of Thomas Jefferson University and Jefferson Health. “We need to help students lead change, not react to it. We are creating a comprehensive university centered on what’s going to be obvious 10 or 20 years from now, but doing it today."

Klasko will be president of the combined institution. Stephen Spinelli Jr., president of Philadelphia University, will serve as chancellor.

“The new Jefferson is a dynamic educational ecosystem where innovation, creativity and receptivity to change are the norm and artificial distinctions between practice and education blur,” Spinelli said. “Education should be tailored to real-world demands and enable students to curate their degree programs and educational pathways to better prepare them as professionals. Jefferson is reimagining the future of work, the future of health and the future of education to deliver even greater return on investment to our students while also benefitting alumni, employers and society.”

The combined university will be home to more than 7,800 students, 4,000 faculty members. It will encompass nine colleges and three schools from both universities along with the Philadelphia University Design Institute and a newly formed Philadelphia University Honors Institute for the combined honors programs. The new Jefferson will operate campuses in Center City, East Falls, Montgomery County, Bucks County and Atlantic County, along with locations in Italy and Japan. It will also has numerous clinical sites across the region and a growing online presence.

Dr. Mark Tykocinski, Jefferson’s vice chancellor and provost, said the combined university will offer more than 160 undergraduate and graduate professional programs “all with a grounding in the liberal arts.” Tykocinski said the union of the two universities will allow the combined institution to leverage their diverse academic programs to provide collaborative learning across each profession and discipline. “We’re eliminating the program silos that are the norm in higher education in favor of creative connections between disciplines,” he said, “because that’s where the greatest human advancements are made and what will best serve our students and society in the future.”

Other details of the transaction include:

-The Jefferson Academic Board of the University board will include an equal number of representatives from Thomas Jefferson and Philadelphia universities. Eileen Martinson, current Philadelphia University board chair and alumna, and Richard Gozon, former Thomas Jefferson University chair, will co-chair the academic board.
-Philadelphia University’s mascot, Phil the Ram, will be the Jefferson mascot, and the university’s 17 intercollegiate athletics teams will be known as the Jefferson Rams. Jefferson will compete in the NCAA Division II Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference — and have two of the winningest NCAA basketball coaches with Herb Magee, 1.053 wins, leading the men’s team and Tom Shirley, 722 wins, leading the women’s team.
-To consummate the combination, notices were provided or consents obtained from approximately 30 accrediting agencies, including Middle States Commission of Higher Education, the Departments of Education of the United States of America and Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, the NCAA and the Central Atlantic Collegiate Conference.
-All existing academic programs and degrees from both universities will continue, and many will be expanded.
-Research faculty have begun collaborating to create joint grant applications to federal agencies, industry and foundations.
http://www.bizjournals.com/philadelp...to-become.html

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Londonee View Post
I think it looks epic and will be a huge, iconic tourist attraction when open. I guess time will prove one of us right.
Yeah I still don't really like the high line all that much either so maybe I'm just a curmudgeon.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 4:53 PM
Philly Pholly

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
Unfortunately, we cannot compare Philadelphia to NYC. NYC is a world financial capital, and is the largest US city. There is so much more money flowing into NYC (both domestic and international) that this sort of stuff is going to be built in NYC.

We need to stop comparing Philadelphia to NYC, and start comparing it to Boston, San Francisco, DC, Miami, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, etc. Once we start doing this, we'll realize that Philadelphia is actually a pretty awesome place. It's not going to be on the level of NYC, ever.
93 is capped right through the heart of Boston. Boston ruined it for the rest by being so extravagant and going so over budget. Miami is building a $billion bridge just so it can add "Lexus Lanes" to Miami Beach. Dallas is spending $600 million to create a park 11 X the size of Central Park. Chicago's waterfront is transformational. You want to compete? Compete.
These are not vanity projects. They show concrete returns in the future investment of the vicinity. Just because you wouldn't use it doesn't make it a waste of money.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 5:04 PM

Quote:
I think he just needs to move to another city for a few years and see how the big boys operate.
Well, financial constraints are real. But he just completely misinterprets or misrepresents every article Inga writes because of some personal dislike for her. Nowhere does the article say that it would be financially feasible to cap 676 from 11th to 20th or anything remotely like that. It said there should be a focus on caps where they would do the most good (there should), that other transportation agencies have done these kind of projects (true), that the city and PennDot should have EVALUATED and priced a cap in front of the library and former Family Court building, and failure to seriously CONSIDER or a price a cap for SOME portion of 676 during this process was a missed opportunity (it was).

Where there is real political will and initiative and push from appropriate communities and constituencies, funding can sometimes be found or raised. Obviously Penns Landing, finally coming to fruition, is an example of this.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
I expect more awareness of how the world works from someone in her position. You don't apparently. She essentially said a bridge replacement project was a failure because they didn't add another $100M of capping and parks. The PRIMARY purpose of spending those tax dollars was to replace obsolete bridges. PENNDOT adding landscaping and some street reconfiguration to the project which will enhance the area but the focus is on how they were shortsighted for not doing a much larger, more expensive and invasive urban renewal project. And she also incorrectly indicates this was a once in a generation chance to do such a project.
I usually agree with you on things but I think you're way off here. Re-read her piece with an open mind. She isn't saying that the project is a disaster. She's just saying there is room for improvement. She's a critic, she's supposed to be critical. I agree with her criticism but also recognize the challenges of implementing her vision.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 6:53 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I think he just needs to move to another city for a few years and see how the big boys operate. Having bold vision is often seen as pointless by local Townies. The rest of us, who've lived all around the world, know what big ideas look like and how they can elevate the urban form.

Meanwhile, on a newly created parkland 90miles north of here, NYC is building this:

Source: NY Times
I think that is horrendous looking. And being tethered to reality has nothing to do with being against big projects. Feel free to post current highway burying projects paid for mostly with fed money (or state) in this environment.

Anyone can dream and write about "what ifs"- didn't know that qualified one as an expert or someone worthy of worship. I think the PL cap is a positive move for Philly- not enough to impress you and others who claim other cities are awash in billion dollar game changer projects- but I think it's a big deal. As was Dilworth Park. And I think rail park, LOVE park redo, Cira Green, the continued extension of the path on the Schulkyll are all positive urban moves.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 6:58 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFTA View Post
93 is capped right through the heart of Boston. Boston ruined it for the rest by being so extravagant and going so over budget. Miami is building a $billion bridge just so it can add "Lexus Lanes" to Miami Beach. Dallas is spending $600 million to create a park 11 X the size of Central Park. Chicago's waterfront is transformational. You want to compete? Compete.
These are not vanity projects. They show concrete returns in the future investment of the vicinity. Just because you wouldn't use it doesn't make it a waste of money.
How are they paid for? Thats the question. The premise here is that PENNDOT and local officials failed by "only" spending $65M to replace bridges and improve the streetscape and traffic flow around the project zone when they should have aimed for a larger, more expensive, more disruptive game change project. Were the projects you mentioned all general state DOT improvement jobs?

Money is being spent here- perhaps the projects aren't big enough (no one mentions the $250M PL project- guess everyone forgot) but money has been and is being invested in public realm projects. Didn't realize we were only big city doing nothing

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 7:03 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
I usually agree with you on things but I think you're way off here. Re-read her piece with an open mind. She isn't saying that the project is a disaster. She's just saying there is room for improvement. She's a critic, she's supposed to be critical. I agree with her criticism but also recognize the challenges of implementing her vision.
If you recognize there are challenges than you are I are on same page. She acknowledges none. Never has. I guess a lot of this has to do with what people do for a living. I've talked to others who work in design, planning, government etc., who feel she lacks a grasp on reality. But the people I'm talking about have much more knowledge of how sausage gets made and I think that colors their opinion. But it is true you don't need any actual credentials or evidence to be a critic- hence the name.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 8:37 PM

Quote:
You are all over the map. If the city wants to create a funding mechanism to do this fine- they are putting up $95M for pennslanding. I'm not opposed to that but it has nothing to do with my original statement. Transit departments are not developers or charged with massive urban renewal projects. Not their function. Period. You don't have to like it but that is reality. While these issues are important to people on this forum you can rest assured many state taxpayers would NOT think dropping a few hundred million on a vanity project is how their gas tax money should be use when we have so many poor roads.

Appealing to the feds is pointless- I guess people don't really follow national politics. Congress has barely been able to keep the DOT funded at existing levels for the last few years. THere is no huge pot of money sitting around that just needs to be tapped by "smart" and willing local politicians. This is why the K of P rail line and the BSL extension are such long shots. Feds are doing less and less in terms of carrying financial burden of new infrastructure. Most of the large "new" projects you see around the country are being funded in some alternative fashion and in many regions they get things done via voter referendums to create revenue streams to fund some major investment. PA doesn't have that.

In terms of moving cars safely (what PENNDOT is mostly concerned about) 676 is still working. The urban landscape part of things is a separate matter. To say it's PENNDOT's obligation (676 was probably paid for mostly with fed dollars anyway) to bury or cover the highway because today's better educated citizenry think it's a mistake is a stretch.

BTW when it comes to transportation decisions and how dollars are spent Feds>State>Local.
Just because you say "period" doesn't mean you're any less wrong about this kind of issue not being within a transportation agency's mandate. It's not 1990 anymore. Let alone 1950.

Old Posted Jun 30, 2017, 8:55 PM

Quote:
If you recognize there are challenges than you are I are on same page. She acknowledges none. Never has. I guess a lot of this has to do with what people do for a living. I've talked to others who work in design, planning, government etc., who feel she lacks a grasp on reality. But the people I'm talking about have much more knowledge of how sausage gets made and I think that colors their opinion. But it is true you don't need any actual credentials or evidence to be a critic- hence the name.
Good God. All she was saying is that looking into the future, capping this part of 676 is an obvious goal. Achieving such a cap is easier and cheaper if done in concert with an already funded highway bridge replacement project. How much cheaper? Who knows, because we didn't even undertake a study. That is a mistake.

No one is ignoring funding realities. But you have to be prepared to strike while the iron is hot. 676 can be capped in the future but doing it now while caps are already being installed would be easiest and that opportunity is now lost and another one won't arise in the next 50 years.

You're so incredibly stubborn and never acknowledge the slightest failing on Philadelphia's behalf. Give it s rest, you have no logical argument here.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 2:29 AM

Quote:
I expect more awareness of how the world works from someone in her position. You don't apparently. She essentially said a bridge replacement project was a failure because they didn't add another $100M of capping and parks. The PRIMARY purpose of spending those tax dollars was to replace obsolete bridges. PENNDOT adding landscaping and some street reconfiguration to the project which will enhance the area but the focus is on how they were shortsighted for not doing a much larger, more expensive and invasive urban renewal project. And she also incorrectly indicates this was a once in a generation chance to do such a project.
Please to justify the lack of sound and visual barriers along the major city highways as they traverse residential areas within your above argument. The urban remedial efforts are pathetic. Compare to any suburban highway barrier system.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilliesPhan View Post
If the federal government and PennDOT made the mistake of severing North Philly from Center City with a submerged, uncapped highway, then why shouldn't we expect them to fix it? Attitudes towards city planning have changed (as demonstrated by the cap itself), and entities now recognize how connectedness, or lack thereof, impacts an area. If PennDOT's mission isn't to mitigate the impact of their projects upon the environments that they affect, then maybe it is time to change that. Why should our city's urban environment have to suffer for suburban motorists to get to their destinations as quickly as possible?
Well said.

Old Posted Jul 1, 2017, 2:19 PM
Philly Pholly

There's a lot of highway capping projects floating around. It bodes very well that Philly is getting it done at Penn's Landing. It's that spirit that got it done, and will continue to get great things done. I think Philly is making a lot of the right choices and it's showing.

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 1:48 AM

Quote:
I understand exactly what she wrote. She doesn't understand what the hell PENNDOT does or what gas taxes and auto related fees are for. Then again, she doesn't like cars, etc. so it would make sense she has no clue regarding PennDOT. The statement she made regarding how the project was a "remaking of 676" was flat out inaccurate. Even you can concede that. As she noted elsewhere in the piece the purpose was to replace structurally deficient bridges- not to rebuild the highway or perform a major urban renewal project.

Not to put words in your month, but it sounds to me that if you are trying to be at all consistent then you don't think PennDOT should have spent any money, tax payer money on anything other then simple bare bones bridges. As soon as one allows for any 'park land' to be created with the proceeds from the gas tax then the issue is only a matter of how much, not if it should happen.
The gas tax helps pay for SEPTA, are you down on that too?

Old Posted Jul 2, 2017, 1:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ok-ez View Post
Blatstein is the biggest blight king since Rappaport, maybe like Rappaport we will see relief when he kicks the bucket. There are also so many other properties he's sitting on like the peco station at penn treaty, remainder of the Schmidts site, big warehouse at 2nd & poplar, bigger warehouse at front & washington etc
So true; but his Rittenhouse Square mansion, complete with basketball court, is inching along. One project under construction-----7 or 8 just sitting there empty. And to think that at one time a lot of people thought Philly's future would go hand in hand with his! I'm glad that hasn't happened.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 1:27 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenKatzPhillytoParis View Post
Just because you say "period" doesn't mean you're any less wrong about this kind of issue not being within a transportation agency's mandate. It's not 1990 anymore. Let alone 1950.
money comes with strings attached- its how budgeting works. You are flat out wrong if you believe PennDOT (or any similar agency) has carte blanche to invest capital dollars in any way they see fit. In fact, they probably had to find a way to justify all the landscaping and hardscaping they included in this project. Something like the CCD or the DWC is much different from a government agency in terms of flexibility in how dollars are programmed. This is why PENNDOT is paying less than HALF of the PL cap cost. It's not a coincidence.

I actually think its shocking that people believe PENNDOT is charged with urban renewal and park development.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 1:32 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by allovertown View Post
Good God. All she was saying is that looking into the future, capping this part of 676 is an obvious goal. Achieving such a cap is easier and cheaper if done in concert with an already funded highway bridge replacement project. How much cheaper? Who knows, because we didn't even undertake a study. That is a mistake.

No one is ignoring funding realities. But you have to be prepared to strike while the iron is hot. 676 can be capped in the future but doing it now while caps are already being installed would be easiest and that opportunity is now lost and another one won't arise in the next 50 years.

You're so incredibly stubborn and never acknowledge the slightest failing on Philadelphia's behalf. Give it s rest, you have no logical argument here.
I have no idea what you are talking about. Because Inga said you can't cap the parks for next 50 years it's fact? WTF? What basis was there for her statement? None. If the highway gets capped it's likely NOT going to be a Penndot led project anyway. There is absolutely no reasoning or logic or intelligence behind the claim that we "can't" cap the highway now that this project is done. These were bridges that needed to be replaced- the work had to be done no matter what. It does not prohibit or make capping any more or less likely.

Philadelphia's behalf? PENNDOT is run from Harrisburg. With money being no object a cap sounds great to me- no argument there. I don't support the notion that not doing a $500M highway covering project as opposed to doing what HAD to be done for failing bridges serves as evidence that PENNDOT failed at core mission. Sorry.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 1:37 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by City Wide View Post
Not to put words in your month, but it sounds to me that if you are trying to be at all consistent then you don't think PennDOT should have spent any money, tax payer money on anything other then simple bare bones bridges. As soon as one allows for any 'park land' to be created with the proceeds from the gas tax then the issue is only a matter of how much, not if it should happen.
The gas tax helps pay for SEPTA, are you down on that too?
I said people and taxpayers may not agree with the idea of a highway agency becoming a redevelopment authority and using money intended for TRANSPORTATION in general for new parkland that will primarily enhance life and property values in a relatively well of part of the city. I am pro SEPTA and PA funds transit agencies through taxes and fees related to driving- that is the way it's always been. That said, there is not universal love for public transportation in this state and when they originally decided to reform how PENNDOT was funded public trans was not a focal point at all. But even public trans haters can acknowledge the link between traffic and moving people and public trans. Paying hundreds of millions to create a park that has nothing to do with moving people is a different story.

I suggest you folks go back and read up on what happened with the DRPA in recent years. They embraced this mentality of using toll money to fund projects that had nothing to do with the bridges and it backfired big time and led to significant reforms. They don't do it anymore.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2017, 2:59 PM

Work on Temple’s 1810 Liacouras Walk expansion to begin in August

Read more here:
https://philly.curbed.com/2017/7/3/1...ion-renderings

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development