HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 7:47 PM
WAR EAGLE

Pittsburgh

So many similarities between Birmingham and Pittsburgh. Man...it is just a matter of time before they are both rediscovered.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 9:12 PM
America's Hometown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
nice job, dude! strangely, the mansions of western Shadyside are often ignored in photo threads

Aren't they all along Fifth Avenue and it was called 'Millionaires Row" because that was where all the wealthy industrialists lived years ago?

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 9:30 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
Aren't they all along Fifth Avenue and it was called 'Millionaires Row" because that was where all the wealthy industrialists lived years ago?
not all... only a few remaining mansions are on "Millionaire's Row"... as many have been replaced by hideous mid-century apartment buildings... most of the mansions are in western Shadyside bounded by 5th, Neville, Ellsworth and Walnut

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyRising View Post
The Allegheny West neighborhood was also known as "Millionaires Row" at one point.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 11:35 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ainulindale View Post
The Allegheny West neighborhood was also known as "Millionaires Row" at one point.
That was Allegheny City's "Millionaire's Row".

And unfortunately, most of the Ridge Ave. mansions were obliterated as well... with a few hanging on as community college accessories.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evergrey View Post
That was Allegheny City's "Millionaire's Row".

And unfortunately, most of the Ridge Ave. mansions were obliterated as well... with a few hanging on as community college accessories.
How could the city let all that historic architecture slip away? So many of the rows on the Northside were bulldozed as well.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 11:45 PM
Eurosceptic

Quote:
How could the city let all that historic architecture slip away? So many of the rows on the Northside were bulldozed as well.
because at the time they were demolished... they weren't "historic" yet... they were just "old"

Old Posted Apr 17, 2008, 11:52 PM
BANNED

Quote:
I feel that it is a damn shame too ainulindale. However, still be thankful that we have many rows still saved, and that are considered national historic neighborhoods and will be saved forever. Once they are considerd national historic areas, they are not just saved but preserved. Every city has demolished buildings they all now wished they saved. Its not just Pittsburgh.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 4:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackStraw View Post
I feel that it is a damn shame too ainulindale. However, still be thankful that we have many rows still saved, and that are considered national historic neighborhoods and will be saved forever. Once they are considerd national historic areas, they are not just saved but preserved. Every city has demolished buildings they all now wished they saved. Its not just Pittsburgh.
It is a damn shame, but I am very pleased we saved the gems we have today. I believe the Crawfords-Roberts neighborhood, though small, had a density of nearly 70,000 ppl/ sq. mi. I can only imagine what the structure density would've looked like. Oh, well....Go Pens!

Old Posted Apr 18, 2008, 12:28 PM

those homes are beautiful this reminds me of the elmwood village in buffalo

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > My City Photos