HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 1:57 AM

I wonder if there will be any plans or inquiries for the former Grey Hound Bus Terminal at the Airport good piece of property to be part of Airport Campus I would think .

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 4:05 AM

Delta returns. Sunday Monday Wednesday Friday for now on their E175
Then June 2nd it is to become daily again.
United is expected to return in July apparently.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Stevens View Post
Anybody know what’s up with the A340 that’s been doing YWG - MAD a couple of times this week?
The WAA Instagram feed featured a pic of the plane recently with this caption:

"ywgairport
We love seeing a rare visitor stop by to say hello, especially on a cloudy day. This Spanish-based Plus Ultra Líneas Aéreas Airbus 340-300 travelled to #YWG to deliver essential goods and is scheduled to depart later today."

I thought it was a one time thing, so I was very surprised to see it taking off and flying directly over me while I was riding my bike on the Bishop Grandin Greenway yesterday afternoon.

A plane that big by Winnipeg standards really stands out when you see it overhead.... it reminds me of that time I was driving to work one morning not quite three years ago when I spotted the jarring sight of an Emirates 777 coming in for a landing.

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 4:59 PM

I'm confused, aren't the borders staying closed for at least another month? Didn't Winnipeg stop taking international passenger flights? Why are Delta and United starting up again soon?

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 5:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

"ywgairport
We love seeing a rare visitor stop by to say hello, especially on a cloudy day. This Spanish-based Plus Ultra Líneas Aéreas Airbus 340-300 travelled to #YWG to deliver essential goods and is scheduled to depart later today."

I thought it was a one time thing, so I was very surprised to see it taking off and flying directly over me while I was riding my bike on the Bishop Grandin Greenway yesterday afternoon.

A plane that big by Winnipeg standards really stands out when you see it overhead.... it reminds me of that time I was driving to work one morning not quite three years ago when I spotted the jarring sight of an Emirates 777 coming in for a landing.
Thanks for that. I saw it from my backyard at about 1600 yesterday; I actually heard it from inside the house and went outside to see what it was. At first I thought it was just stopping here for refuelling as part of a Tianjan to Madrid run but the FlightAware data doesn’t support that. It would be interesting to know exactly what “essential goods” justify this many flights?

Old Posted May 18, 2020, 6:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzg View Post
I'm confused, aren't the borders staying closed for at least another month? Didn't Winnipeg stop taking international passenger flights? Why are Delta and United starting up again soon?
Essential traffic is still going.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 3:34 AM

I can't wrap my head around any kind of travel to the US that would be deemed "essential" – like seriously, what is that?

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 4:37 AM

Quote:
I can't wrap my head around any kind of travel to the US that would be deemed "essential" – like seriously, what is that?
Delta and American Airlines have been flying into Canada this entire time, they just ended service for smaller cities and are restarting in Winnipeg - DL.
From what I was told yes it’s flying for essential traffic. There were apparently a lot of Canadians returning back and just essential workers flying into the US and Truckers.
Friends at the airport said the US air border isn’t as strict as it is at the land border, they want people in the boost their economy literally. So you could come up with a reason to go down and then in Canada customs get yelled at for why did u go lol

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 7:12 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Perhaps the death of a parent/child/sibling?

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 12:00 PM

I suspect that pretty well anything other than vacations and the least necessary types of business travel (i.e. going to conferences in Vegas or San Diego) will probably pass muster when it comes to air travel. But the reality is that few want to travel anyway these days so the passenger counts have been rock bottom although it appears that they are climbing again after bottoming out around the end of April.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 1:05 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
I work in Seattle as a software developer but was born and raised in Winnipeg.

I came back to Winnipeg when the borders were closed and Trudeau told all Canadians to come home.

I have a commercial work visa which means I can technically cross the border right now, but without flights to the U.S. this is really hard.

I offer this as an example of someone who can travel to the States under the current circumstances.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 1:15 PM
Portage & Main 50 below

I read in an article sometime ago that there is a number like 150,000 Canadian citizens like myself working in the U.S. right now.

These are all people who presumably like myself travel often between Canada and the U.S. to visit work/family.

I’ve crossed the border maybe a dozen times in the past five months.

The lack of flights to the States and the eventual upswing in airfare prices will hurt.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 1:42 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post

"ywgairport

That PlusUltra plane from Spain flew in again yesterday around 2ish in the afternoon. My wife pointed it out while we were sitting on the deck - "hey, what's with that plane?.....why is it so big?"

.....she says that a lot
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 2:37 PM

^ Thanks Biff, that made me laugh in the middle of my very serious work zoom meeting

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 3:28 PM
What could go wrong?

....."very serious Zoom meeting"? With SSP on in another window?

I see why you like to work from home - attention to detail is not a strong point here.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 4:51 PM
Go kicky fast, okay!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
That PlusUltra plane from Spain flew in again yesterday around 2ish in the afternoon. My wife pointed it out while we were sitting on the deck - "hey, what's with that plane?.....why is it so big?"

.....she says that a lot
I spotted that plane flying over Garden City yesterday around the same time.

I was like "hey, I wonder if it's that same plane that I saw on SSP a couple hours ago?"

I have shitty phone video of it too.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
....."very serious Zoom meeting"? With SSP on in another window?

I see why you like to work from home - attention to detail is not a strong point here.
The extensive updates on projects that don't involve me in any way are an excellent opportunity to practice my multi-tasking skills

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only The Lonely.. View Post
I work in Seattle as a software developer but was born and raised in Winnipeg.

I came back to Winnipeg when the borders were closed and Trudeau told all Canadians to come home.

I have a commercial work visa which means I can technically cross the border right now, but without flights to the U.S. this is really hard.

I offer this as an example of someone who can travel to the States under the current circumstances.
I was wondering what ever happened to you OTL. Nice to see that Dalai Lama avatar again

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 10:40 PM

Quote:
The whole Polo retail area is already overbuilt (numerous vacancies)
The challenge is you are both right and wrong there. The area around the mall campus is definitely overbuilt but by pre-pandemic standards, Polo Park as the largest mall in the region should be almost double in size. Polo Park and St Vital both fall into the size class of "regional mall" which is the second largest. Considering there are no super regional malls between Calgary and Toronto it definitely makes sense for there to be one in Winnipeg and the most obvious choice is Polo Park. It seemed like there was a golden opportunity to have Hudson Bay move into the vacant Sears space and perhaps open Saks and TopShop stores within the vast Sears front print. That would have cleared the way for the mall to have a significant southern expansion into the former stadium site. But it clearly wasn't meant to be. And now the pandemic has really reshuffled things for both the airport and Polo Park so who knows what will come of things in the next 10 years.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 2:58 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bdog View Post
I was wondering what ever happened to you OTL. Nice to see that Dalai Lama avatar again
Aww, shucks.

Yes, I’m still alive. I have been working hard to practice my listening skills. So I don’t say much on here anymore, but I do lurk from time to time.

If you’re an SSP old timer like myself than you can mark the passage of time on the Manitoba sub-forum by the number of threads that have been dedicated to destroying Portage Place through the years.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan