HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

View Poll Results: Who are you cheering for?
Los Angeles 1 1.43%
Chicago 5 7.14%
Dallas 5 7.14%
St Louis 29 41.43%
Minnesota 1 1.43%
Nashville 5 7.14%
San Jose 9 12.86%
Anaheim 1 1.43%
NY Rangers 0 0%
NY Islanders 3 4.29%
Tampa Bay 3 4.29%
Washington 17 24.29%
Pittsburgh 6 8.57%
Detroit 1 1.43%
Florida 8 11.43%
Philadelphia 3 4.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old Posted Jun 2, 2016, 3:01 PM
arf

They do. Really playing good hockey.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 2:22 PM
arf

Lol. The NHL playoff thread falls to page two prior to the Stanley Cup being awarded.

Congratulations Pittsburgh.

Congratulations Phil. There's something nice about a guy that just plays his game being one of the best players in the playoffs this year.

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 2:40 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
Lol. The NHL playoff thread falls to page two prior to the Stanley Cup being awarded.
Canadians aren't hockey fans they're fans of their local teams.

What? Who said that?

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 3:41 PM
arf

I'll say it, but I think I'm one of the few actual hockey fans. I'd be paying attention to Arizona and Florida playing for the Stanley Cup.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 5:44 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
I generally don't watch unless my team is playing. Last night was the first full game I watched this playoff season.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 8:01 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I'll say it, but I think I'm one of the few actual hockey fans. I'd be paying attention to Arizona and Florida playing for the Stanley Cup.
Indeed, and i'm probably in the same boat. It's remarkable how few of us there actually are in Canada given how much people like go on about hockey belonging to Canada and etc.

Some tidbits:

Quote:
GAME 5 AVERAGES 5 MILLION VIEWERS & SETS LOCAL RATINGS RECORDS IN SAN JOSE & PITTSBURGH

Last night’s Sharks-Penguins Game 5 on NBC averaged 5 million viewers (5.009) and a 3.0 rating to rank as NBC’s second-most watched Stanley Cup Final game without an Original Six team, trailing only Game 7 of the 2006 Stanley Cup Final featuring Edmonton and Carolina (5.288 million). Viewership peaked in the final full quarter hour with nearly 6.5 million viewers (6.453). Last night’s viewership was up 50% vs. Game 5 of the 2012 Stanley Cup Final on NBC, the last Final to not feature an Original Six team (New Jersey vs. Los Angeles; 3.331 million).

Locally, last night’s game delivered an 8.4 rating in the San Francisco/San Jose/Oakland market to rank as the highest-rated Sharks game ever on the networks of NBCUniversal in the market. Game 5 produced a 36.9 rating in Pittsburgh, the second-highest rated Penguins game ever on the networks of NBCUniversal behind Game 7 of the 2009 Stanley Cup Final vs. Detroit (42.2).
http://nbcsportsgrouppressbox.com/20...n-jose-sharks/

Game 6 was the most watched Sharks game ever in the SF/SJ/Oakland area on NBC with a local 9.2 rating. Local Pittsburgh was 35.1, according to NBC Sports PR.

Top 10 markets for Game 6 of the SCF:
Pittsburgh 35.1
SJ/SF/OAK 9.2
Buffalo 8.6
Minneapolis-St. Paul 6.2
St. Louis 5.8
West Palm Beach 5.3
Sacramento 4.8
Chicago 4.7
Boston 4.6
Raleigh-Durham 4.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SportsMediaWatch
Game 6 of the Penguins/Sharks Stanley Cup Final earned a 3.7 overnight rating on NBC Sunday night, down 34% from Lightning/Blackhawks last year and Blackhawks/Bruins in 2013, both of which aired on a Monday (5.6 for both). There was no Game 6 in 2014.

The Penguins’ title-clinching win ranks as the lowest rated Game 6 in the metered markets in a full decade, since Hurricanes/Oilers in 2006 (2.2). That was the last Game 6 to take place on a Saturday night, the least-watched of the week.

This year’s Game 6 took place on a Sunday night, typically the most-watched of the week. Yet it was not a typical Sunday due to major breaking news coverage on cable.

Keeping that caveat in mind, the 3.7 overnight is also the lowest for the clinching game of the Stanley Cup Final since Senators/Ducks Game 5 in 2007 (2.5), and the second-lowest since at least 1999.
http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/2016...lowest-decade/

The low NHL and NBA ratings may have something to do with this...

Quote:
The Mexico versus Jamaica matched aired last night at 9:30pm EST and averaged 5.4 million Total Viewers 2+ and 3.1 million Adults 18-49, outperforming all soccer matches across all networks regardless of language since the 2015 Gold Cup Final.

The telecast out-delivered all four NHL Stanley Cup Finals matches to-date on NBC and NBC Sports Network among all key demos.

Additionally, the telecast outperformed all MLB matches across all networks for the 2016 season-to-date.
http://corporate.univision.com/2016/...eason-to-date/

Last edited by JHikka; Jun 13, 2016 at 8:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 8:31 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Indeed, and i'm probably in the same boat. It's remarkable how few of us there actually are in Canada given how much people like go on about hockey belonging to Canada and etc.
There are probably some "jilted lover" feelings that enter into it. Justified or not.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 8:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
There are probably some "jilted lover" feelings that enter into it. Justified or not.
I don't think "jilted lover" enters into it... it's mainly about the fact that it's a lot easier to tune out when it's not in Canada. Whenever a Canadian team makes a run deep into the playoffs, it becomes news... you see it wall to wall on the sports channels, and even the general news media gets into it with extensive coverage.

When it's SJ/PIT in the final, there's way less domestic media coverage, less excitement, less hoopla overall.

I think I watched a cumulative total of maybe 30 minutes worth of playoff hockey this year. I dunno... if the Jets aren't in it, I just don't care.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2016, 1:04 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

I was thinking about this too and my total viewing time for this year's playoffs amounted to about 30 minutes as well.

I am eager for the CFL to start and in the meantime I am having fun following the Euro and the occasional Impact game in MLS.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 5:54 PM
arf

OMG! They are going to try and save hockey in Canada...MacLean in, Strombo out as Hockey Night in Canada host: Report

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 6:07 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
OMG! They are going to try and save hockey in Canada...MacLean in, Strombo out as Hockey Night in Canada host: Report

The most interesting part of that article is how Bettman and the NHL dick around with who is on the air during NHL broadcasts on Canadian networks.

So they effectively had Ron McLean* removed just because Bettman didn't like him.

*I've never been a fan of McLean, but I know he was very popular with Anglo-Canadian hockey fans.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 6:12 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:

Quote:
Bringing back MacLean is like the arrival of your favorite uncle to a dysfunctional Thanksgiving dinner. He has great stories and can handle the various personalities. From there it's a bunch of old white guys complaining about the good old days where traumatic brain injury was part of game.
Sounds about right. The article is pretty spot-on regarding the Network relying on the Old Boys rather than giving newer faces like Johnson and Marek more time simply because they may not agree with the league's interpretation of...things...

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 6:23 PM

Maybe I'm a stereotypical old school Anglo-Canadian hockey fan, but I thought it was a travesty that they got rid of MacLean in the first place. With all due respect to Strombo, and I do hold him in high regard, MacLean has forgotten more about hockey than Strombo ever knew. Between his encyclopedic knowledge of the game and his top notch hosting skills, something close to MacLean is pretty much what you'd get if God one day decided to create the perfect HNIC host.

Stromboulopolous is probably better used on news and current affairs shows anyway... his talent is wasted on sports, in much the same way that Rogers wasted MacLean the last couple years. It was painful to watch him relegated to BS Hometown Hockey duty. It would be like watching Peter Mansbridge doing the local weather in Lethbridge or something.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 6:39 PM
arf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
The most interesting part of that article is how Bettman and the NHL dick around with who is on the air during NHL broadcasts on Canadian networks.

So they effectively had Ron McLean* removed just because Bettman didn't like him.

*I've never been a fan of McLean, but I know he was very popular with Anglo-Canadian hockey fans.
There's the smoking gun for how Bettman and the NHL itself is trying to harm hockey in Canada.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 6:39 PM

I don't get why so many people dislike Strombo, I think he did great, especially considering hockey wasn't how he got his start in broadcasting. MacLean was good, but I found Strombo to be far more relevant in this decade...,

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 6:41 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
There's the smoking gun for how Bettman and the NHL itself is trying to harm hockey in Canada.
Hey, you said it!

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 7:05 PM
arf

I'm just in one of those moods today.

Lack of sleep.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 7:20 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
I'm just in one of those moods today.

Lack of sleep.
If you need sleep you should turn on HockeyCentral at Noon and listen to the sweet sound of Doug MacLean droning on about his glory days of being general manager of the Blue Jackets.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 9:28 PM

MacLean won't solve anything. Both the NHL and SportsNet have no idea what the real problem is with the way hockey is presented. Everything from the way playoff matchups are determined to the shitty promos leads me to believe nothing will really change next year.

Old Posted Jun 20, 2016, 9:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
If you need sleep you should turn on HockeyCentral at Noon and listen to the sweet sound of Doug MacLean droning on about his glory days of being general manager of the Blue Jackets.
I DRAFTED RICK NASH!

Yeah Doug, that was about the only good thing you did in your entire tenure with Columbus and that was a no-brainer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada