HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 6:58 AM

Looks like a liquor store is going in at the base of Alura

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 2:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan101 View Post
Looks like a liquor store is going in at the base of Alura
I saw that sign yesterday. Can't say it makes any sense to me with Five Vines a couple blocks north in Keynote and Vine Arts a couple blocks west. The higher end wine/beer market seems pretty well covered and I would hope they don't try to compete with Royal Liquor Merchants for the "Black Ice" market with Alpha House just a block south.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 4:11 PM
Aviary Masticator

Splitting bills is time-consuming + I believe each transaction has a cost to it.

It's also super annoying figuring out what people had, and types of people usually comes out when the bill is present (cheapskates, people who are mathematically-challenged, control freaks, slackers, etc.)

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:05 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick.flood View Post
Signs are up at the mew Marriott Fairfield on 12th Ave SW for a diner called The Beltliner opening soon.
It's up for many months- since last spring even.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:10 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
Splitting bills is time-consuming + I believe each transaction has a cost to it.

It's also super annoying figuring out what people had, and types of people usually comes out when the bill is present (cheapskates, people who are mathematically-challenged, control freaks, slackers, etc.)
This exactly. I support it completely- if you have a large group don't expect the bill to be split unless you also want to help the server with the other tables of customers pissed off at you.

Also- corkage fees reflect the fact that supplying services and glassware isn't free either and that the restaurant takes a loss when you don't buy their product. You can't bring in carry-out food to a restaurant and expect them to give you plates, silverware, and a damn table for free because you're buying the drinks.

And finally, when a restaurant invests a a few grand into a Q water system and serves it to you in a nice carafe and it's bottomless, don't complain because they charge the ungodly sum of one or two bucks for it.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:17 PM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
This exactly. I support it completely- if you have a large group don't expect the bill to be split unless you also want to help the server with the other tables of customers pissed off at you.

Also- corkage fees reflect the fact that supplying services and glassware isn't free either and that the restaurant takes a loss when you don't buy their product. You can't bring in carry-out food to a restaurant and expect them to give you plates, silverware, and a damn table for free because you're buying the drinks.

And finally, when a restaurant invests a a few grand into a Q water system and serves it to you in a nice carafe and it's bottomless, don't complain because they charge the ungodly sum of one or two bucks for it.
It's embarassing if there's only one machine and everyone in the table is adamant that they split the bill. 12 people = 12 swipes. Sometimes, they under-tip, underpay... and fuck you. Why even go if you're going to short-change people? I HATE IT!

Normally, I'd offer to take the bill but getting payments from those heathens is like squeezing blood from a stone. That's why I don't do group things with that circle anymore.

There are other groups that pays with one card, splits the bill evenly by # of people, no matter what you ordered and deals with it outside. I like that more.

/rant

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:33 PM

I'm glad my usually group almost always shows up with cash, and we always end up with a pile bigger than it should be.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:36 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

flipstah did you know that, three days ago, Zomato bought Urbanspoon? Zomato is Indian and has a WP app, so this might mean the return of Urbanspoon to Windows (in some guise). It might also mean the death of Urbanspoon of course but we'll see.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:45 PM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:
flipstah did you know that, three days ago, Zomato bought Urbanspoon? Zomato is Indian and has a WP app, so this might mean the return of Urbanspoon to Windows (in some guise). It might also mean the death of Urbanspoon of course but we'll see.
Oo that should be an interesting turn of events. I like Urbanspoon a lot and hope the whole experience doesn't change.

Interesting video about tipping...

Video Link

GO SERVICE CHARGE.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:59 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
Oo that should be an interesting turn of events. I like Urbanspoon a lot and hope the whole experience doesn't change.

Interesting video about tipping...

GO SERVICE CHARGE.
Remove tipping and change minimum wage to match living wage.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 6:50 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
I suppose it depends on what type of restaurant is in question, but playing devils advocate NOT splitting bills is a non starter for many of us when we have a large group. It's simply not feasible to put everything on a single bill all the time.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 7:53 PM

I'm new! :)

Love reading this forum and excited to contribute!

As for tipping...

Having served for years in the downtown core its hard to know what large parties are going to do, you dont want to assume and spend the time splitting the table 8 ways only to have one person pay at the end but then to present one bill to a table of 8 at the end of a service only to have them look at you confused like you should just know they wanted it split. Also remember that if 8 people need 8 seperate bills and 8 transactions it WILL take 8 times as long unfortunately. Some people can't get their heads around this and are annoyed you can't manage this task under a minute. Definitely helps if people bring cash or at least give you the heads up, as downtown lunch rushes are an in and out rush.

For a place a more upscale restaurant looking to really provide an experience in their service having split bills on parties more then 6 can become tacky at the end, as the server hands out all the bills and methodically works out each transaction seperately. Really takes away from the quality of the dining experience and stops the organic flow of service to other patrons.

When I go out with my gang we usually just get one bill add the gratuity then split evenly between all of us. Sometimes you pay a little more sometimes you pay a little less!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 8:06 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beans000 View Post
Love reading this forum and excited to contribute!

As for tipping...

Having served for years in the downtown core its hard to know what large parties are going to do, you dont want to assume and spend the time splitting the table 8 ways only to have one person pay at the end but then to present one bill to a table of 8 at the end of a service only to have them look at you confused like you should just know they wanted it split. Also remember that if 8 people need 8 seperate bills and 8 transactions it WILL take 8 times as long unfortunately. Some people can't get their heads around this and are annoyed you can't manage this task under a minute. Definitely helps if people bring cash or at least give you the heads up, as downtown lunch rushes are an in and out rush.

For a place a more upscale restaurant looking to really provide an experience in their service having split bills on parties more then 6 can become tacky at the end, as the server hands out all the bills and methodically works out each transaction seperately. Really takes away from the quality of the dining experience and stops the organic flow of service to other patrons.

When I go out with my gang we usually just get one bill add the gratuity then split evenly between all of us. Sometimes you pay a little more sometimes you pay a little less!
Sounds like it's time for a change in how the POS systems work, paying via app/digital means could facilitate the splitting (how ever the guest wants (evenly or by item)) of the bill and potentially paying for them too. Something like OpenTable could be excellent for this.

Compounding the problem currently, the payment machines are far slower than they should be and many don't accept touchless payments.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 8:14 PM
Aviary Masticator

Once a month, we play credit card roulette. One card pays all.

Funnest way to have a meal.

Also, true foodies order whatever and share so it's advantageous to actually get more since the spread is even.

You win some; lose some. It evens out but it hurts when you lose.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 9:20 PM

Quote:
I don't drink and I still think the table should split it evenly or figure it out on their own. It sucks when you're with boozers, but that's the price one pays for clean living.

I used to work in the service industry, and once had a large table where one lady kept track on a piece of paper everyone's drink count.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
Sounds like it's time for a change in how the POS systems work, paying via app/digital means could facilitate the splitting (how ever the guest wants (evenly or by item)) of the bill and potentially paying for them too. Something like OpenTable could be excellent for this.

Compounding the problem currently, the payment machines are far slower than they should be and many don't accept touchless payments.
This is a great point! It can definitely come down to the capabilities of the POS system and payment system you are working with!

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 9:34 PM

I don't buy that splitting a bill is that much work, the server should have the orders arranged by seat already, so as long as people aren't moving around all over the place it should be covered already, just print them off and hand them to the seat on the bill. I just had lunch with 13 people and we had the bill split up and it took her all of 5 minutes to bring everyone their bill and she had the POS machine in hand. If everyone paid cash these days then it probably would make a difference, but most people pay debit or credit, and adding up all the separate transactions to ensure the bill was paid properly would probably take just as long as the original splitting of the bill, if not longer. If a place is organized then it's a non issue, if not, then that's their problem.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 2:04 AM
IMHO

I prefer places that will split your bill for large groups - my only complaint is I wish more servers would ask when starting a tab if you want split bills or not. POS have improved too - faster, and the ability to just hit the "15%" button helps after a few drinks

Which brings up another point - some places are pushing that by having a default starting amount >15% nice try on raising the tipping rate!

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 2:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
I prefer places that will split your bill for large groups - my only complaint is I wish more servers would ask when starting a tab if you want split bills or not. POS-Port of Spain - Piarco International, Trinidad and Tobago have improved too - faster, and the ability to just hit the "15%" button helps after a few drinks

Which brings up another point - some places are pushing that by having a default starting amount >15% nice try on raising the tipping rate!
Those places get the manual overide to 10% from me if the rest of the service is borderline. I hate that. Give me options, but don't start at higher than standard.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2015, 2:29 AM

Yep. I was somewhere recently (can't recall where) and they had their default at 18% with options of 25% and 30%. I hit the manual button and went for 10% as it was in no way deserving of much more than standard tips.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation