HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 9:42 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
I've always used the mobile app, which hasn't changed yet, but when did Urbanspoon get rebranded?
Rebrand was couple of days ago- I'm "Prime" and they sent us out an email about it. They suspended Windows (metro app and WP app) support in December btw but the mobile site works beautifully. I wish urbanspoon was a thing outside of North America though... when I was in Europe in Sept-Oct I consulted Yelp every single day; since they bought Qype it's fantastic on that side of the pond but I like the Urbanspoon is SOLELY food related but it's simply not an option in much of the world.

I had one of the best lunches in weeks of great lunches at Watercress today- the chili lime chicken wraps (it's a goi cuon that's cut into bite sized pieces, looks like a sushi roll when they plate it) and this incredible kimchi fried rice topped with a PERFECT fried egg- the rice was as if each piece had been wokked separately- perhaps the single best fried rice I've ever tasted. Business seems to be really picking up there, which is nice as the recent opening of so many new places in a small area makes that stretch of 17th very competitive suddenly.

Old Posted Jan 12, 2015, 10:34 PM

My lunch wasn't nearly as good. I grabbed a salad from Olly Fresco today. The salad wasn't bad, but I noticed a giant hair nestled in the cutlery and when I pointed it out to the cashier, she plucked it out. I'm not that squeamish, and have a 5 second rule for dropped food, but this grossed me out.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 5:03 AM

I had lunch at a Song Viet in Chinatown today and there was a small red chili on the plate with my bean sprouts (Had the Pho), anyone know what those are? that was easily one of the hottest things I've ever eaten, was instantly insanely hot! lol was a great lunch aside from that though.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calgarian View Post
I had lunch at a Song Viet in Chinatown today and there was a small red chili on the plate with my bean sprouts (Had the Pho), anyone know what those are? that was easily one of the hottest things I've ever eaten, was instantly insanely hot! lol was a great lunch aside from that though.
Thai Bird Chili

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 3:18 PM

Yeah that's it, holy mother of god that thing was hot! I'd had them before on Vietnamese subs and barely noticed them (they were pickled I think) but this one burned like hell the instant I bit into it.

All the talk about this Watercress place makes me want to try it out too.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 4:03 PM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Rebrand was couple of days ago- I'm "Prime" and they sent us out an email about it. They suspended Windows (metro app and WP app) support in December btw but the mobile site works beautifully. I wish urbanspoon was a thing outside of North America though... when I was in Europe in Sept-Oct I consulted Yelp every single day; since they bought Qype it's fantastic on that side of the pond but I like the Urbanspoon is SOLELY food related but it's simply not an option in much of the world.

I had one of the best lunches in weeks of great lunches at Watercress today- the chili lime chicken wraps (it's a goi cuon that's cut into bite sized pieces, looks like a sushi roll when they plate it) and this incredible kimchi fried rice topped with a PERFECT fried egg- the rice was as if each piece had been wokked separately- perhaps the single best fried rice I've ever tasted. Business seems to be really picking up there, which is nice as the recent opening of so many new places in a small area makes that stretch of 17th very competitive suddenly.
Sucks about the Windows Phone support. It still works but I guess no update anytime soon.

Yeah, Urbanspoon is non-existent past US/Canada. I tried using it in HK but no dice. YELP sucks IMO.

I really need to try this Watercress Express...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramsayfarian View Post
My lunch wasn't nearly as good. I grabbed a salad from Olly Fresco today. The salad wasn't bad, but I noticed a giant hair nestled in the cutlery and when I pointed it out to the cashier, she plucked it out. I'm not that squeamish, and have a 5 second rule for dropped food, but this grossed me out.
Barf.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 5:02 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan101 View Post
Thai Bird Chili
Cracked one of these open when I put it in my lunch Pho once. An hour later I rubbed my eye, even after washing my hands. Had to take the afternoon off work my eyes were watering so bad.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 8:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
Cracked one of these open when I put it in my lunch Pho once. An hour later I rubbed my eye, even after washing my hands. Had to take the afternoon off work my eyes were watering so bad.
A friend and I were eating (or at least attempting to eat) the Bull vs the Volcano wings at the Bull & Finch pub (single hottest thing I have ever eaten, these wings made my eyes water, nose run, face go red and gave me fiery hiccups!) and he rubbed the heel of his hand on his face to wipe away tears and his eyes were instantly bloodshot, the bartender actually went and got the eye wash kit lol. I think they make their sauce from Habanero seeds, just brutal stuff! you actually have to sign a waiver to order these wings...

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 9:25 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
A friend and I were eating (or at least attempting to eat) the Bull vs the Volcano wings at the Bull & Finch pub (single hottest thing I have ever eaten, these wings made my eyes water, nose run, face go red and gave me fiery hiccups!) and he rubbed the heel of his hand on his face to wipe away tears and his eyes were instantly bloodshot, the bartender actually went and got the eye wash kit lol. I think they make their sauce from Habanero seeds, just brutal stuff! you actually have to sign a waiver to order these wings...
I had a similar experience at the Unicorn. The fumes alone made my eyes water like mad. Again I made the mistake of touching just below my eye (instinctually) with a finger that touched the wing. Immediately ran to the bathroom to rinse my eyes under the sink and what do I find there: three Mexicans, all hunched over the sinks, faucets at full blast, mouths fully open to allow maximum rinseage. They also ordered the wings. Hilarious.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 9:55 PM
Laura Palmer

Quote:
Yeah, I always thought the waiver thing was a gimmick until I tried the wings. Needless to say I have only ever been able to eat four in one sitting. I also made the mistake of going pee about 15 minutes after finishing the wings...it felt like someone lit my bird on fire.

Old Posted Jan 13, 2015, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UofC.engineer View Post
Yeah, I always thought the waiver thing was a gimmick until I tried the wings. Needless to say I have only ever been able to eat four in one sitting. I also made the mistake of going pee about 15 minutes after finishing the wings...it felt like someone lit my bird on fire.
I think it is a bit of a gimmick, not sure you can suffer a real injury from very spicy food (unless you have an ulcer maybe) that the pub would need to avoid liability for lol. Your 4 wings were better than the 1 I managed, once those hiccups started I was done lol. Never experienced anything like that before or since...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 3:50 AM
not a NIMBY

Pig & Duke is opening a second location at 503 4 Av SW which is the main floor of London House that has been many restaurants through the years. Neighbours with Glory of India.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 4:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Pig & Duke is opening a second location at 503 4 Av SW which is the main floor of London House that has been many restaurants through the years. Neighbours with Glory of India.
They might work in that space. It's been probably a decade or more since I was last in there and it was depressing as hell. Full of piss tanks that lived in London House slowly drinking themselves to death. It reminded me of BarFly but without the charming wit of Charles Bukowski.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 4:03 PM
Aviary Masticator

Went to Model Milk last night with some friends and thought it was alright.

That cheddar apple pie though...

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 4:27 PM

Quote:
Hope it works for them, that's one of my favourite pubs!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 6:31 PM
City Maker

Quote:
Damn it! For once, I had the inside scoop but never thought to post it here.

I really enjoy the Pig, I don't know if a second location will be a good thing for me and my bank account.
“Such suburban models are being rationalized as ‘what people want,’ when in fact they are simply what is most expedient to produce. The truth is that what people want is a decent place to live, not just a suburban version of a decent place to live.”
- Roberta Brandes Gratz

Old Posted Jan 14, 2015, 8:04 PM
not a NIMBY

Rodney's - finally - soft opening Monday January 26.

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 1:34 AM
not a NIMBY

OP yippee!
I thought OP was a weird name for a Vietnamese restaurant and then I realized it was Oriental Phoenix which has been a favourite of mine for years.
I have only ever been to the location on 58th Ave. which offers a classier ambiance than other Vietnamese places and good food.
The first Vietnamese on 4th Street will be a welcome addition to the scene.
Opening next to Caffe Artigiano in 2020 on 4th St SW.

OP by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Caffe Artigiano by LUMIN8, on Flickr

There is work going on at the north end of 2020 for a restaurant. It looks like a big space so I wonder if it will be Cactus Club or the Keg or something similar.

I look forward to trying Carino on 4th Street.
I was at a pricey restaurant before Christmas with 3 people and before we ordered I asked if we could have separate bills. Oh no it was impossible to do that was the response.
I noticed it here on Carino's menu that they don't allow/do it. What is the
problem? Is it time? Theft? Most places will bend over backwards to accommodate their customers so it surprises me that some places won't.

Carino 4th Street by LUMIN8, on Flickr

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 3:26 AM

Bistro Alma at the University doesn't do separate bills for groups over 6 either. Which surprised me when we went there for lunch last week with a group of about 10.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

Old Posted Jan 15, 2015, 5:33 AM

delete

Last edited by nick.flood; Feb 5, 2016 at 6:10 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation