HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 8:56 AM

A few Victoria Park updates:

Proof Cocktail Bar is going into 1302 1 Street SW where Poggenpohl was
Haru Sushi is going into 227 11 Avenue SE, they have a couple locations in the burbs

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 4:54 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Yeah I love coffee as well and Calgary's scene seems great. Unfortunately caffeine doesn't treat me so well anymore and I have to severely limit my intake. Trill like to treat myself once in a while! Will probably grab something at Phil and Sebastian while in town.
A great way to limit your caffeine intake is to limit yourself to straight espressos, ristretto ones, and at most two a day- that's far less caffeine than in one 8-oz brewed coffee (shorter dwell time, less volume). I am a coffee freak but when I start my day with brewed coffee I feel like I'm going to crawl out of my skin from all the caffeine. Normally I have two espressos a day but they have to be good ones. When I'm on vacation and doing my normal coffeehouse exploration I'll have maybe up to 4 per day and do start to feel it, but I wish more people understood how great an option straight espresso is- way less caffeine, zero calories, and it has this great intensity.

Anyway, yep great coffee scene here.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 4:59 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan101 View Post

Haru Sushi is going into 227 11 Avenue SE, they have a couple locations in the burbs
I saw the listing for Proof on the AHS inspections site and was trying to place it- thanks! Great to see that space returning to food/bar use since it was originally a DeVille but didn't really work as a coffee place.

Haru is very well reviewed so I think this is good news- are you sure it's 11th SE? That's Vietnam right now so it can be but SW is the IBM campus which has a cafe that seems a bit forgotten. Just checking- thanks for the updates!

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 7:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamesfan101 View Post

Thanks! Can't wait to see it. There are a nice set of bars and clubs happening on first street. Good to see growing night life in that area.

Old Posted Dec 25, 2014, 10:25 PM
sick transit, gloria

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
A great way to limit your caffeine intake is to limit yourself to straight espressos, ristretto ones, and at most two a day- that's far less caffeine than in one 8-oz brewed coffee (shorter dwell time, less volume). I am a coffee freak but when I start my day with brewed coffee I feel like I'm going to crawl out of my skin from all the caffeine. Normally I have two espressos a day but they have to be good ones. When I'm on vacation and doing my normal coffeehouse exploration I'll have maybe up to 4 per day and do start to feel it, but I wish more people understood how great an option straight espresso is- way less caffeine, zero calories, and it has this great intensity.

Yeah I usually get americanos now and sometimes straight espresso. It really does make a difference.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 6:13 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Add me to the chorus of people who think Corbeaux is absolutely stunning. Beautiful space, great layout and 100000x better for the vibrancy and feel of 17th avenue than Melrose was with the creep bar on the street. Another step in the evolution of 17th avenue, and a great one at that.

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 6:20 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

like to note that since my last visit in 2012 17th has really changed feels safer and more relaxed

Old Posted Dec 26, 2014, 2:42 PM
YIMBY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzz View Post
Any slim chance they will be making gluten free as well?
Quote:
Unless the entire facility is gluten free as per what they do at Big Star Bakehouse a block east, then of course not. No big facility like this will ever be gluten free. They have beer on tap- gluten.

You can't expect a 9000 square foot restaurant to be gluten free. If somebody is telling you that they are when there is obvious cross contamination, then they are lying to you.
Maybe one day Care bakery will open a store front, I miss living a block from Big Star though.

Disclaimer: All opinions expressed are my own not those of any affiliated organizations.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 2:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Full Mountain View Post
Maybe one day Care bakery will open a store front, I miss living a block from Big Star though.
Ya, Care would be great! I really wish someone would figure out what the Italians have though. I went to a gluten free bakery in Florence and it was heaven. Croissants that were identical to normal ones, focaccia, REAL doughnuts (not the crappy cake ones I've had in Canada) endless pastries..I was afraid I was eating gluten, it was all so good. I loaded my bag before heading to Rome.... That place was like Narnia....

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 2:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Yeah I usually get americanos now and sometimes straight espresso. It really does make a difference.
I recently discovered cafe crema's(no dairy in them). I've got a decent machine at home and have been making lots of those lately. I used to make americano's, but cafe crema's are so much better.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 2:31 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
I recently discovered cafe crema's(no dairy in them). I've got a decent machine at home and have been making lots of those lately. I used to make americano's, but cafe crema's are so much better.
Gonna have to disagree there, a crema is a lungo or an allonger (exact same thing) and most quality cafes won't serve them. You ruin espresso by pulling 4oz of water through them. I'd really get to know a good Americano- maybe you just haven't had them from good shops but adding hot water to a proper espresso is a much better idea than pulling brew water through grounds way past what should be done- you end up pulling out bitter elements that have no place in an espresso. Of course you're entitled to your preferences but most coffee folk would consider this a poor drink and I have to agree.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 2:37 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
I really wish someone would figure out what the Italians have though. I went to a gluten free bakery in Florence and it was heaven. Croissants that were identical to normal ones, focaccia, REAL doughnuts (not the crappy cake ones I've had in Canada) endless pastries..I was afraid I was eating gluten, it was all so good. I loaded my bag before heading to Rome.... That place was like Narnia....
If you're celiac, how do you know what real croissants, donuts, etc taste like? My friend who's celiac has never once had bread etc since he was diagnosed as an infant so has no idea what he's missing (and in a way that's very good for him)- were you diagnosed later in life?

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 AM

Quote:
If you're celiac, how do you know what real croissants, donuts, etc taste like? My friend who's celiac has never once had bread etc since he was diagnosed as an infant so has no idea what he's missing (and in a way that's very good for him)- were you diagnosed later in life?
I was diagnosed 3 years ago after several years of suffering. I'm sure it would be better diagnosed as an infant as I end up comparing inferior gluten free products to the stuff I used to love.

As for cafe crema, its not just a lungo. Lungo uses the same grind as an espresso and are pulled for around a minute. A cafe crema is done with a courser grind, resulting in faster flow rate, generally in the 25 second range for 4-8 oz. I'm not surprised that many places refuse to pull them, because they would require changing their grind setting and is not something they do regularly. It took me awhile to find the right one on my grinder. In any case, if you haven't had a real cafe crema, I'd highly suggest it as they are fantastic and are much different from a lungo. You can get a very thick crema, and I find the taste much smoother than an espresso, yet less dilute than an americano.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
I was diagnosed 3 years ago after several years of suffering. I'm sure it would be better diagnosed as an infant as I end up comparing inferior gluten free products to the stuff I used to love.

As for cafe crema, its not just a lungo. Lungo uses the same grind as an espresso and are pulled for around a minute. A cafe crema is done with a courser grind, resulting in faster flow rate, generally in the 25 second range for 4-8 oz. I'm not surprised that many places refuse to pull them, because they would require changing their grind setting and is not something they do regularly. It took me awhile to find the right one on my grinder. In any case, if you haven't had a real cafe crema, I'd highly suggest it as they are fantastic and are much different from a lungo. You can get a very thick crema, and I find the taste much smoother than an espresso, yet less dilute than an americano.

Celiac is life changing so you have my sympathies but it's better to have a diagnosis... not that I have to tell you that.

Happy to be corrected on the cafe crema- but yeah you can see how that's impossible to pull off in a busy cafe; they work all morning dialing in the espresso and then somebody asks for something that requires a different grind! I can see having a separate grinder just for it.

Speaking of grinders- Kawa got a new Simonelli grinder to go with their new LM Strada. I also got what might be the best meatloaf sandwich of my life there on Xmas eve, blew me away. We are so damn blessed in this city these days.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 1:18 AM
not a NIMBY

Vera's Burger Shack is expanding and looking for franchisees in Alberta.
http://www.verasburgershack.com/franchise-info
I hope someone with an entrepreneurial spirit sees this and opens a location or several in Calgary and I promise I will be a loyal customer which will save me a 960 km drive each way or a flight to YVR where they have a location.
"You Can't Beat Vera's Meat"®

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 6:23 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimby View Post
Vera's Burger Shack is expanding and looking for franchisees in Alberta.
http://www.verasburgershack.com/franchise-info
I hope someone with an entrepreneurial spirit sees this and opens a location or several in Calgary and I promise I will be a loyal customer which will save me a 960 km drive each way or a flight to YVR where they have a location.
"You Can't Beat Vera's Meat"®
Vera's also has the most amazing fries...

Speaking of fries, the restaurant black hole on 17th SW near American Apparel that's been Pizza 17 and two or three consecutive failed Pakistani places is now Universe. Yes it's an idiotic name for a restaurant but they've spiffed it up unbelievably, I mean it's a huge makeover, and they serve a Cora's style breakfast menu with crepes and fruits done in a fancy style in addition to everything else you'd expect on a breakfast menu. I went for lunch yesterday since I live barely a block away and started simple with a burger and fries. It was excellent with just a few annoyances. $12 gets you a big juicy perfectly cooked 6 oz burger on a good sesame bun, a side salad (I got house, which came with old school 1000 island dressing, a nice blast from the past and tasty too) and fries. The fries were absolutely stellar- they make poutine (traditional, Italian and with peppercorn gravy, very Montreal diner style which makes sense as chef owner is from Montreal and this place is like a neighbourhood Montreal diner really) with them. Tghis wasn't perfect but it was really good and not pricey at all. They have a ton of grilled options - steaks, shrimp, etc- some Greek items and a full pizza menu. It's not really focussed but I get the sense that they take pride in what they do and I hope they get past some very cludgy branding ("Universe" sounds like a nightclub or a clothing store for pete's sake) and that people give them a chance because there really aren't many places like this on 17th. The Rock up the street would be an exception but is likewise a place that has absurd branding but that's another post. The Rock has exceptionally good burgers btw.

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 8:02 PM

Maybe they thought they were one upping the Galaxy Diner by going with Universe?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 10:03 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Maybe they thought they were one upping the Galaxy Diner by going with Universe?

Old Posted Dec 28, 2014, 11:45 PM
not a NIMBY

Thanks Rusty for telling us about the Universe. If they can pull off such an extensive menu well, then I can see being a regular here.

I found the website and they have pretty pictures of everything on the menu.

http://cite-local.com/Universe

Old Posted Dec 29, 2014, 3:04 AM
City of Blinding Lights

Quote:
Vera's also has the most amazing fries...

Speaking of fries, the restaurant black hole on 17th SW near American Apparel that's been Pizza 17 and two or three consecutive failed Pakistani places is now Universe. Yes it's an idiotic name for a restaurant but they've spiffed it up unbelievably, I mean it's a huge makeover, and they serve a Cora's style breakfast menu with crepes and fruits done in a fancy style in addition to everything else you'd expect on a breakfast menu. I went for lunch yesterday since I live barely a block away and started simple with a burger and fries. It was excellent with just a few annoyances. $12 gets you a big juicy perfectly cooked 6 oz burger on a good sesame bun, a side salad (I got house, which came with old school 1000 island dressing, a nice blast from the past and tasty too) and fries. The fries were absolutely stellar- they make poutine (traditional, Italian and with peppercorn gravy, very Montreal diner style which makes sense as chef owner is from Montreal and this place is like a neighbourhood Montreal diner really) with them. Tghis wasn't perfect but it was really good and not pricey at all. They have a ton of grilled options - steaks, shrimp, etc- some Greek items and a full pizza menu. It's not really focussed but I get the sense that they take pride in what they do and I hope they get past some very cludgy branding ("Universe" sounds like a nightclub or a clothing store for pete's sake) and that people give them a chance because there really aren't many places like this on 17th. The Rock up the street would be an exception but is likewise a place that has absurd branding but that's another post. The Rock has exceptionally good burgers btw.
Thanks for the review Rusty. Over the past 2 weeks we have been stuck in traffic right in front of Universe. It has been interesting to see it coming together. It looked like such an odd space when the tables and booths weren't in, but they have really invested in quite a nice setup for that spot. Last time we drove by the booths and chairs were in and the menus up on the windows. It certainly looks expansive. I hope that people support the place if the food is as good as you suggest. Seems like a nice mom & pop style business.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation