HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 8:24 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstah View Post
It was weird because there's no exterior advertising for her bakery. Only when you get in that you see it.
Yes there is. Right on the side of the building.

Old Posted Dec 19, 2014, 8:30 PM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty van Reddick View Post
Yes there is. Right on the side of the building.
So wow; much blind these eyes.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 2:22 AM
Round Head

Had Thai Fusion Delight. Great to have good Thai takeout. Not super cheap, but good portions - had the Panang Curry with Chicken as well as Pad Thai. Both really good. Will eat again.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2014, 2:25 AM
Round Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
I'll post this here. Taste Kitchen (previously Ric's Grill) in Emerald stone seems to have swapped out (or removed film) the dark green reflective glass from the windows and replaced with a transparent glazing. HUGE improvement. Restaurants should be designed to draw interest into the space, not shut everyone out. This isn't just an urban design feature, it is good restaurant design. I feel Ric's (or ProCura) made a terrible decision to have reflective glazing on the restaurant. Compare to a place like Bocce- when you walk by, you want to go in. Especially at a location such as 8th street, you need to draw people in from the street. You don't do that by making the place look dark and empty.

On a related note, I think Best Buy does a similarly terrible job of this. When you look up from the street you should see tons of large screen TVs and other electronics through the 2nd floor windows. It should make you want to go up and see them. Instead they have essentially covered the windows and have product on the other side.
Excellent.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stophs View Post
Found the website for Buttermilk though not much there yet: http://www.buttermilkfinewaffles.com/
I haven't talked to the family in ages, but I'd have to assume this is the brother of the Friley behind Village Ice Cream. Anybody know?

On an unrelated note, They pulled down all the coverings on Corbeaux today with a lot of activity going on inside. Great way to tease people as they walk by for the opening tomorrow, they definitely did a great job with it based on my awkwardly staring through the window.

Quote:
Yep - Russ wouldn't give me details but did say that they would be adding a storey to the current east half.
I'm be excited to see what these guys can do with a bar based on all the other things they've done, have they ever been involved with bars before? It would definitely be nice to have another bar option between 5th and 9th Street.
Today, our town lost what remains of its fragile civility, drowned in a sea of low fat pudding. We are a town of lowbrows, no-brows and ignorami. We have eight malls but no symphony. Thirty-two bars but no alternative theater. Thirteen stores that begin with "Le Sex." I write this letter not to nag or whine but to prod. We can better ourselves!
-Lisa Simpson

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 5:10 AM
Aviary Masticator

I might go to Corbeaux for dinner tomorrow night. It looks really good. Mighty tempting, to say the least.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2014, 5:18 PM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by bt04ku View Post
I'm be excited to see what these guys can do with a bar based on all the other things they've done, have they ever been involved with bars before? It would definitely be nice to have another bar option between 5th and 9th Street.
No and they have nothing to do with this bar either. Completely separate business. No other details shared with me but it's not a Fratello project.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 12:40 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Had lunch at Corbeaux today- a mortadella sandwich. It was perfection. Wanted to eat at a table but it was already too crowded at 11:30a and so I bought the sandwich at the counter and sat on the side stool by the bakery- you'll see what I mean when you go there- with my number and they delivered it to me Kawa style. Sandwich plus tap water was less than $10. Pastries look insane, very much a Yann's style setup (so more French than German). It was packed. Very impressed so far but I have almost 100% of the rest of the menu to try.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:22 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

where is it?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Had lunch at Corbeaux today- a mortadella sandwich. It was perfection. Wanted to eat at a table but it was already too crowded at 11:30a and so I bought the sandwich at the counter and sat on the side stool by the bakery- you'll see what I mean when you go there- with my number and they delivered it to me Kawa style. Sandwich plus tap water was less than $10. Pastries look insane, very much a Yann's style setup (so more French than German). It was packed. Very impressed so far but I have almost 100% of the rest of the menu to try.
My one and only question.... Were there chocolate croissants?

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 4:02 AM
Round Head

Not sure if this had been mentioned but Borgo (fronting Tomkins Park) is closed. Surprising to me since it always seemed to be busy. Anyway something called Le Parc Brasserie is replacing it.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 5:03 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Stardust* View Post
My one and only question.... Were there chocolate croissants?
There were many interesting confections but I don't recall those.

1ajs this is the west half of what used to be Melrose on 17th Ave SW. Google it.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 5:04 AM
formerly-furry flâneur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
Not sure if this had been mentioned but Borgo (fronting Tomkins Park) is closed. Surprising to me since it always seemed to be busy. Anyway something called Le Parc Brasserie is replacing it.
Yes it's been mentioned.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 5:22 AM
BANNED

Was out at Corbeaux tonight, very creative space and the pastries/food is on par with some of the best in Europe. The inner-city is becoming a lot more European influenced in recent years. Manager was telling me patio will be very elaborate as well, continuation of current space with retractable roof included.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 5:37 AM
sick transit, gloria

Any recommendations for good craft beer bars? I am in town for a bit and wouldn't mind trying a few things out. Stopped by Craft Beer Market today which had amazing selection for sure. But I don't necessarily trust that many kegs on tap (stuck to the rotating ones). Wouldn't mind trying something a bit more low-key.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 5:55 AM
BANNED

The National on 10th is pretty interesting, but for a smaller place I'd recommend Wurst in Mission.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 6:18 AM
Aviary Masticator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
Was out at Corbeaux tonight, very creative space and the pastries/food is on par with some of the best in Europe. The inner-city is becoming a lot more European influenced in recent years. Manager was telling me patio will be very elaborate as well, continuation of current space with retractable roof included.
Yes, I was also at Corbeaux and was amazed at their setup and selection. I met one of the workers (Ian) who explained the concept. Very welcoming, open, and I wish nothing but success coming their way.

There were almond croissants; didn't see chocolate.

I'm going to gorge on so much pastries! Very fortunate I live close-by.

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Any recommendations for good craft beer bars? I am in town for a bit and wouldn't mind trying a few things out. Stopped by Craft Beer Market today which had amazing selection for sure. But I don't necessarily trust that many kegs on tap (stuck to the rotating ones). Wouldn't mind trying something a bit more low-key.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spring2008 View Post
The National on 10th is pretty interesting, but for a smaller place I'd recommend Wurst in Mission.
Wurst and National are safe bets for craft beer.

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 9:16 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:

1ajs this is the west half of what used to be Melrose on 17th Ave SW. Google it.
i gues i coulda done that didnt think of it.

so its across from that school???

btw never herd of melrose befor and everything changes everytime i come to town... please dont shoot me im just exploring

wish i still had a bike here stupid flood

as for this place i know what im doing when i get up

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 2:32 PM
Aviary Masticator

Enjoy this pic. I sure did:

http://i.imgur.com/WQmQfCa.jpg

Old Posted Dec 23, 2014, 3:44 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by niwell View Post
Calgary has definitely moved toward more and more craft beer selections in all their bars. The big ones are Craft and National (on 10th), both with 60+ beers on tap, but both are massive bars. If you are looking for something more low key, try places like local 510, National on 17th, 1410 or Beer Revolution.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > General Discussions, Culture, Dining, Sports & Recreation