HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 4:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
with how far the paper has sunk and what Alden Capital is probably about to to do it, not sure if anyone would really want the association moving forward
Yea, the Tribune as an institution will mean absolutely zero to anyone in 10 years.

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 6:17 PM
Show me the blueprints

Well that's cheerful.

There is no goodness in him, and his power to convince people otherwise is beyond understanding

Old Posted May 26, 2021, 7:25 PM

There's a new proposal for somewhere close to part of LVDW's world geographically. New building proposal for 3232-46 W Cermak on the border of South Lawndale and North Lawndale to construct a new 5 story (nearly 80 feet in height..nice) building with 59 units, 3 parking spaces, 60 bike spaces, and ground floor commercial. This will tear down an existing 1.5 story commercial building.

For lack of a better word, the stretch can be a bit rough around the edges. The developer is Cloud Property Management who owns a bunch of property in the general area. ARO is checked (makes sense) and this is a TOD project as it's pretty close to a train stop.

Street view: https://www.google.com/maps/place/32...!4d-87.7067621

Last edited by marothisu; May 26, 2021 at 9:32 PM.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 5:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiPlanner View Post
From Alderman Hopkins yesterday evening:

Great article on Chicago YIMBY with lots of details on 1320 W Fullerton. The field house and basketball court having windows onto the sidewalk is a cool detail.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 5:42 PM
TL;DR

Quote:
Originally Posted by marothisu View Post
There's a new proposal for somewhere close to part of LVDW's world geographically. New building proposal for 3232-46 W Cermak on the border of South Lawndale and North Lawndale to construct a new 5 story (nearly 80 feet in height..nice) building with 59 units, 3 parking spaces, 60 bike spaces, and ground floor commercial. This will tear down an existing 1.5 story commercial building.

For lack of a better word, the stretch can be a bit rough around the edges. The developer is Cloud Property Management who owns a bunch of property in the general area. ARO is checked (makes sense) and this is a TOD project as it's pretty close to a train stop.

This appears to be the first market-rate TOD outside the traditional downtown/North Side area.

Old Posted May 27, 2021, 5:43 PM

Quote:

wow, this is unexpected. surprised theyre going for this stretch as it still seems a bit off the beaten path, and given how many vacant lots there are directly adjacent to the kedzie stop. almost feels like the end of the world a little bit, since the streetscape is still remarkably pretty in-tact, although lots of long closed businesses (along with that weird kink in Cermak you have to navigate under the BNSF bridge). three parking spaces for 59 units is amazing. this is going to get put through the neighborhood wood chipper once its unveiled though, i promise.

so many hidden little gems though. look at this little guy...right behind the proposed development, hopefully not being impacted

you wouldnt know it, but this little guy a block away is a still operating honest to goodness forge/blacksmith. seriously!

https://www.chicagomag.com/city-life...the-west-side/

Video Link

and directly across the street is this gem:

so much potential.

Last edited by Via Chicago; May 27, 2021 at 6:10 PM.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 1:18 PM

Crains has a story about the proposed film studio in South Shore. They say this will be ALL private funding and no TIF or city financing contrary to what a few people here thought the other day. Apparently 20 years ago a KMart was proposed for this site.

https://www.chicagobusiness.com/comm...ned-south-side

Quote:
A producer of “The Chi” television series and longtime associate of the rapper Common is pushing ahead with plans for a big film studio in South Shore, an operation that could employ several hundred people and give the South Side neighborhood an economic jolt.

It’s personal for Dudley, who lives in Atlanta but grew up in South Shore. He aims to capitalize on the soaring demand for studio space and create a catalyst for economic development in a neighborhood that has suffered from decades of underinvestment.

The productions include “The Chi,” a Showtime drama set on the South Side that’s now in its fourth season. The series is filmed at Cinespace Chicago Film Studios in North Lawndale, which is adding as many as 19 soundstages to keep up with surging demand.

“We want to make Chicago the Hollywood of the Midwest, and there’s no reason why we can’t do that,” Dudley said.

Dudley has assembled a team that includes James Reynolds Jr., chairman and CEO of Loop Capital Markets, a Chicago-based investment firm that will help raise debt and equity for the development. Like Dudley, who lived at 70th Street and East Euclid Avenue, Reynolds grew up in South Shore, near 80th and South Jeffery Boulevard.

“It’s really a homecoming for us, and we are so excited about doing this development in that area,” Reynolds said.

Hundreds of people, possibly more, would work at the studios, though Dudley declined to provide a specific figure. Employment would fluctuate based on what productions rented the studio space. But Dudley offered a hint: “The Chi” employs about 400 people on two Cinespace soundstages, he said. The first phase of the Regal Mile project, covering about 220,000 square feet, would include about six stages, he said.

The project also would diversify the local labor market, bringing new career options to high school graduates in the neighborhood. Dudley aims to work with Chicago Public Schools to set up internships at Regal Mile for 11th- and 12th-grade students.

He says he’s received plenty of support from the administration of Mayor Lori Lightfoot, which has targeted film and television production as a growth industry for the city. A task force the mayor formed to generate ideas to turn around the Chicago economy singled out the sector in a report it released last July.

Dudley and Reynolds plan to finance their project with private capital—no tax-increment financing or other subsidies from the city. But they need the City Council to approve a zoning change for the studio campus. Dudley aims to begin construction by the end of the year.

Dudley sees the potential for Chicago’s film and TV industry from his current home in Atlanta, which some now call “The Hollywood of the South” because the industry has grown so much there. More than 70 productions are underway right now in Atlanta, Dudley said.

“We can build Chicago to that capacity,” he said.

Meanwhile, Dudley is considering making another investment in Chicago. He’s already looking for a home in the city—not downtown, but in South Shore.

“Why would I live somewhere else?” he asked.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 2:47 PM
The City

Chicago was a sort of Hollywood in the early 20th century.

Then people realized that the weather sucked and they moved to SoCal.

The weather still sucks. But maybe people feel differently today?

..........nah probably not

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 3:52 PM
Urbane observer

A century ago, they needed sunlight for movies. So they needed sunlight every day to be productive. A lot more is done on soundstages and using CGI today.

I'm still dubious about it as a stable economic engine rather than a fickle industry that mostly just follows the tax breaks to Georgia, New York, Louisiana, and Vancouver. But the explosion in streaming seems to be bankrolling a new golden age of content creation.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 3:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Chicago was a sort of Hollywood in the early 20th century.

Then people realized that the weather sucked and they moved to SoCal.

The weather still sucks. But maybe people feel differently today?

..........nah probably not
Yeah, I mean obviously. Money talks though too. A majority of normal people don't actually want to live their entire lives in NYC or Boston or Chicago or Toronto There's a reason why there's a bunch of retirees from NYC and Chicago in Florida and Arizona (and some on LA). You make a bunch of money in the north, or enough to retire and then leave.

Case in point, if there's an industry and it pays well, I don't think it's an issue. I think the greater "issue" is more of attracting people from a cultural perspective to want to be there. People will put up with 3 months of winter and a few more up and down months if they are paid well enough for a job they like.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 5:15 PM

Building permit was issued the other day for the now vacant piece of land on Clark just south of Fullerton in Lincoln Park. This thing has been swirling for awhile - they even demolished the old 1 story Walgreens on site there 3 years ago.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.9242...7i16384!8i8192

The design is uhh...interesting. But it's 45 units, 35 parking spaces and 4 stories with ground floor retail . Total height is a little over 50 feet so good density really. Nice to get rid of a vacant lot, mostly, that was previously a 1 story building for years at least.

https://urbanize.city/chicago/post/l...k-construction

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 5:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post
A century ago, they needed sunlight for movies. So they needed sunlight every day to be productive. A lot more is done on soundstages and using CGI today.

I'm still dubious about it as a stable economic engine rather than a fickle industry that mostly just follows the tax breaks to Georgia, New York, Louisiana, and Vancouver. But the explosion in streaming seems to be bankrolling a new golden age of content creation.
There have been studios in New York for decades. It's easier to film most of the time in a studio and then do a couple of street scenes than it is to have an LA-based operation that flies out to do the exterior shots a handful of times. Instead of running everything through a single studio and all the union issues, you just rent studio space, hire a lighting rig company, a caterer, the people that have mobile trailers, and so on. I think the same dynamic is at play in Chicago. There's enough demand for shows that you have those independent contractors. It makes it cheaper than doing everything in-house.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 7:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajradfotwo View Post
Tribune tower getting its old sign back on. Personally, I think they should just leave it at "Chicago" but glad its getting added on in full!
seeing as they won the sign in a lawsuit, I can't blame them for wanting the whole thing

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 7:42 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Downtown View Post

Sunlight and generally milder weather was part of it, but it was more due to the fact that western/cowboy flicks were very popular at the beginning of the American film era, so filming in the LA area was just more logical, because the local environment in CA could mimic a variety of landscape. As the studio system grew and cemented its legacy in LA proper, it was considered unnecessary to film elsewhere because you could film anywhere in CA to fit a variety of climates, landscapes, etc:

(map is from 1927)

Essanay Studios on the north side of Chicago was one of the first studios in the country that would hire early, big name actors for their moving pictures, most notably Charlie Chaplin in 1914. He was only there for a year before moving out west because he wanted more creative control over his work, in addition to hating Chicago winters. I last visited the studio building back in 2012 when a former acquaintance was involved in a fundraising effort to try and modernize the facility and turn part of it into a museum, although not really sure what came of that effort, even though it was a very cool building with so much history inside its walls.

Considering that the Dick Wolf Chicago-based dramas alone have generated over $1 billion locally since they started filming here, it's naive to consider the local film industry anything less than 'stable.' The current tax credit was extended through 2026/2027, and I'm almost certain that it will be extended well beyond that, because too much has already been spent to build, maintain and expand the current production infrastructure to casually leave it, not to mention expansions underway at Cinespace, in addition to all of the planned, new studio facilities that we've seen reported here over the past year. Far too many people work in a local industry that is part of a much greater, decentralized system that includes cities/locations you mentioned above, but also include other cities around the country and throughout the world. LA may be the entertainment capital of the world, but producing anything in LA can still be very expensive, so producers either go elsewhere (like Chicago, Atlanta, Toronto, Miami, etc), or they take advantage of the biggest tax credits offered there...the CA film tax credits are very high but it can amount to a zero sum game because massive budgets for marquee/event productions can potentially offset gains from the tax credit.

There are 9 active productions currently filming in or around Chicago, with 6-9 more planned to film before the end of 2021...those are the ones that I know of. I've spoken before about my personal ties to the local film industry, and it's given me a unique perspective because I see and hear a lot of things that others may not be aware of. It's an industry that ebbs and flows like most industries, and last year was pretty bad, but that can be applicable to any industry because of Covid. Local productions have already rebounded pretty dramatically compared to even 3-5 months ago, so that is a very encouraging sign.

It's a fickle industry, just in the same way that any major industry can be fickle. But that doesn't negate the impact and presence that the film and tv industry has throughout the world....and how much money is involved, especially considering how streaming services have exploded just in the past 3-4 years alone, with no sign of stopping. A new Amazon sci-fi series called "Lightyears" is filming here, starting in two weeks, that my best friend will be working on..which he landed after having said no to two other shows because of lower pay and longer shooting schedules. Local industry pros are able to pick and choose because there are SO many productions now. Given the fact that Amazon just spent $8.5 billion dollars on MGM studios, AND the fact they (and Netflix, and NBC and Fox/Disney) really like filming in Chicago, the local industry seems pretty set to me, for the foreseeable future. Oh, and considering that the local unions involved in film production are expanding rapidly as well, they won't give anything up without a fight..

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 8:58 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

^ There were scenes for Amazon's Electric Dreams thing filmed in my building (Eckhardt Research Center), which was hilarious. I took some of the crew members (the talent obviously had zero interest, though Terrence Howard wanted to give a talk on his personal cosmology theories, which thankfully did not happen) tours of some of our labs. One thing that was funny is we have the ECW coats for Antarctica as an outreach item to show people, which are like super heavy $800 Canada Goose parkas, and the crew was like "yeah, we know these coats. Everybody from LA buys one when they come to shoot here because they think they need them."

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 9:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SIGSEGV View Post
^ There were scenes for Amazon's Electric Dreams thing filmed in my building (Eckhardt Research Center), which was hilarious. I took some of the crew members (the talent obviously had zero interest, though Terrence Howard wanted to give a talk on his personal cosmology theories, which thankfully did not happen) tours of some of our labs. One thing that was funny is we have the ECW coats for Antarctica as an outreach item to show people, which are like super heavy $800 Canada Goose parkas, and the crew was like "yeah, we know these coats. Everybody from LA buys one when they come to shoot here because they think they need them."
Then they realize they actually only ever need them maybe a few/handful of days per month in the winter and the rest they don't need it?

Color me shocked.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 9:31 PM
He/his/him. >~<, QED!

Quote:
Then they realize they actually only ever need them maybe a few/handful of days per month in the winter and the rest they don't need it?

Color me shocked.
yeah, it's a parka designed for Arctic/Antarctic conditions, which maybe exist a day every few years here. But...knowing lots of SoCalifornians, they think anything under 70 is cold.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 9:57 PM

Quote:
yeah, it's a parka designed for Arctic/Antarctic conditions, which maybe exist a day every few years here. But...knowing lots of SoCalifornians, they think anything under 70 is cold.
But hold on....that guy who visited once 5 years ago in January when it happened to be pretty cold for a few days is going to tell you it must be that cold all the time because 5 years ago he experienced it for 2 days.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 9:59 PM
Plenary pleasures.

Quote:
My buddy worked with Howard on Empire for all 7 seasons, can confirm he is certifiably nuts. He has amazingly bizarre ideas and patents(!) about water-related things/contraptions.

Old Posted May 28, 2021, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sentinel View Post
My buddy worked with Howard on Empire for all 7 seasons, can confirm he is certifiably nuts. He has amazingly bizarre ideas and patents(!) about water-related things/contraptions.
Is it like - of the 'fun' kind to be around or like random crazy guy on the street/subway talking to you about crazy things, and you making excuses to end the conversation?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > General Development