HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

The Alexander in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Philadelphia Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Philadelphia Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
Sales pitch of what? Indoctrination into the Mormon church? Just tell them you're satanists and think you'll stick with that.
That's exactly what it'll be. I've been on tours of old buildings the Church of Scientology owns and Swannanoa in Virginia, and they're all about recruitment, and making you watch a mind-numbingly boring video before the tour. Get through that and it'll probably be pretty cool.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 2:36 AM

sooo....this is the tallest building outside of historic Philadelphia, second only to FMC in west philly?

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cafeguy View Post
sooo....this is the tallest building outside of historic Philadelphia, second only to FMC in west philly?
I believe so. Though I am not quite certain how tall the Sheraton is near by.

I forgot CHOP on this side of the river is going to be 375. Still I think this building will be the tallest north of vine street.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 12:49 PM

Quote:
What's "historic Philadelphia." Is that an actually accepted thing with defined boundaries? What are they? Regardless, it's great to see a building of this size and quality in its location!

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsbrook View Post
What's "historic Philadelphia." Is that an actually accepted thing with defined boundaries? What are they? Regardless, it's great to see a building of this size and quality in its location!
Pine to Vine, River to River. 2 square miles of awesomeness. Historic Philly usually refers to the original boundaries, that took on the name Center City after 1854.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 2:35 PM

I have been to an LDS Temple Open House before in NYC. There is no sales pitch or indoctrination. A guide leads you through the various rooms and explains the purposes of the room. If you want to ask questions they will answer your questions. What you will see are some amazingly beautiful rooms with amazing attention to details and top notch craftmanship. They are impressive buildings. Temples are the most important buildings within the LDS faith so they go all out on them as opposed to their regular chapels "meeting houses" like the one being built next door. If you have the chance to attend an open house tour then do it. You won't regret it at all.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 3:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TempleGuy1000 View Post
Pine to Vine, River to River. 2 square miles of awesomeness. Historic Philly usually refers to the original boundaries,that took on the name Center City after 1854.

If that's your definition, then the boundary goes down to South Street.

Last edited by PHL10; May 31, 2016 at 1:59 PM.

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlandopilot View Post
I have been to an LDS Temple Open House before in NYC. There is no sales pitch or indoctrination. A guide leads you through the various rooms and explains the purposes of the room. If you want to ask questions they will answer your questions. What you will see are some amazingly beautiful rooms with amazing attention to details and top notch craftmanship. They are impressive buildings. Temples are the most important buildings within the LDS faith so they go all out on them as opposed to their regular chapels "meeting houses" like the one being built next door. If you have the chance to attend an open house tour then do it. You won't regret it at all.
My parents (not LDS and not religious at all) had a similar experience with the DC LDS Temple Open House many years ago. No proselytizing--just a breathtaking and memorable tour that they still rave about to this day:

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 4:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philly Fan View Post
My parents (not LDS and not religious at all) had a similar experience with the DC LDS Temple Open House many years ago. No proselytizing--just a breathtaking and memorable tour that they still rave about to this day:
Amazing what can be accomplished with tax-free donations... of which I am a huge opponent.

The old Carlin quote applies to all organized religion: "God loves you, but he needs MONEY!"

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 5:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post
Amazing what can be accomplished with tax-free donations... of which I am a huge opponent.

The old Carlin quote applies to all organized religion: "God loves you, but he needs MONEY!"
I love that Carlin riff (among many others):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6RT6rL2UroE

Old Posted May 26, 2016, 7:00 PM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schn3ll View Post

In God we trust, all others pay cash!

Old Posted May 27, 2016, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Evo and Cira Centre are also taller.

Old Posted May 31, 2016, 11:17 PM

Here are a few that I took at the red light.

[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]
[/IMG]

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 9:14 AM

066 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

070 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

062 by tehshadowbat, on Flickr

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 8:41 PM
Arch. Engineer+Developer

I want to buy the freemason temple and turn it into my personal single family dwelling.

Old Posted Jun 8, 2016, 10:28 PM
More of that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arch+Eng View Post
I want to buy the freemason temple and turn it into my personal single family dwelling.
I feel the same way about the Presbyterian Historical Society at 5th and Lombard. Keep the old historic mansion, tear down the modern add-ons, and turn the surface lots into gardens. What an estate that would be in Society Hill!

Old Posted Jun 10, 2016, 2:01 AM

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

[IMG]Untitled

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 8:39 PM

It looks like the building will be 124.11 m (approx. 407 ft) in height according to http://www.emporis.com/buildings/121...delphia-pa-usa. BuzzBuzzHome also has up to date information on construction status, units and more. You can follow the project on BuzzBuzzHome at https://www.buzzbuzzhome.com/1601-vine-street

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyers2001 View Post
What are we talking about with height? 350+ Its going to stand out nicely and the continue growth north of vine is nice to see.

Old Posted Jun 13, 2016, 9:03 PM

Would be cool if it was over 400+. So the building does look different than the renderings. The base of the building is an H shape in the renderings but currently it is not. Anyone have any ideas?

Old Posted Jun 14, 2016, 12:15 PM
BANNED

i will be glad when this crane gets jacked, it's been at same height since it was installed last year.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive