HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 5:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbsanford View Post
Actually those were 737s. But let's change the subject. :/
American flight 11 and United flight 175 were both 767-200s.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapatan View Post
They were also going much faster.

Keep in mind the ESB is made out of stone as well, that building isn't going anywhere.

Good to see the head of security resigned, now only if Durst himself could do so.
The core is steel, is it not?

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 5:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
But is it not also true that the interior of the ESB was refitted in 2008 to make it more terror proof??? I was there visiting and saw the construction on the inside of the building.

They said it was to make it more energy efficient but let's be honest... 7 years after 9/11 you JUST NOW decide to renovate the building top to bottom to make it 'energy efficient'.
I don't know how much more terror proof they could make it without significant structural upgrades which would require taking much of the interior apart. 1WTC has a three foot thick blast wall surrounding it's undoubtedly much, much stronger core. I don't think there is a lot they could do with the ESB save for gutting the entire structure and erecting some kind of heavy duty protection for the core.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 6:09 PM
Jeez Louise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
I don't know how much more terror proof they could make it without significant structural upgrades which would require taking much of the interior apart. 1WTC has a three foot thick blast wall surrounding it's undoubtedly much, much stronger core. I don't think there is a lot they could do with the ESB save for gutting the entire structure and erecting some kind of heavy duty protection for the core.
They took the entire interior of the original ESB out over several years starting in 2008 I think ending in 2011 or 2012. I saw the construction while I was there in 2008. I was surprised. It looked like they were building and entirely new tower on the inside of the shell of the previous one.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 6:47 PM
weidncol

Quote:
The core is steel, is it not?
The ESB does not have a traditional core like most buildings now. It had a box-frame structure.

Old Posted Mar 29, 2014, 10:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by weidncol View Post
The ESB does not have a traditional core like most buildings now. It had a box-frame structure.
Interesting. Could you explain the difference?

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 1:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGnome View Post

Yes, that is correct.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 1:58 AM

Location: The absolute western-most point of the Philadelphia urbanized area. :)
Quote:
Interesting. Could you explain the difference?
Hmm, mind if I have a stab at this?

Box-frame structures are a network of girders and columns that cover entire floor spaces of a building. The traditional core buildings have most of the structural metal or reinforced concrete focused around the central staircases and elevator banks in the center of buildings. This allowed for more open office floor plans without the presence of obstructive columns.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 2:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonboy1983 View Post
Hmm, mind if I have a stab at this?

Box-frame structures are a network of girders and columns that cover entire floor spaces of a building. The traditional core buildings have most of the structural metal or reinforced concrete focused around the central staircases and elevator banks in the center of buildings. This allowed for more open office floor plans without the presence of obstructive columns.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Thank God.

Assistant Director of Security at 1WTC to Resign

One of the men in charge of security at One World Trade Center is resigning.

The news follow a break-in earlier this month and the arrests this week of three daredevils who parachuted off the skyscraper in September.
LOL sounds like a scapegoat. What about the DIRECTOR being let go? Isn't he/she responsible for security? Seems lame to take out the assistant director as a sacrificial lamb.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 1:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GarCastle View Post
LOL sounds like a scapegoat. What about the DIRECTOR being let go? Isn't he/she responsible for security? Seems lame to take out the assistant director as a sacrificial lamb.
Exactly. Now if both the Director & Durst resigned along with him we should all go out for a drink.

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 10:46 PM

Old Posted Mar 30, 2014, 11:11 PM
weidncol

Why is there a window missing on the NE face right under the MPE vents?

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 4:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadGnome View Post
Yes, they both did.

The registration number is N334AA & N612UA.

This is American Airlines. The registration number is N334AA.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Ameri...e6da9119ecbb54

This is United Airlines. The registration number N612UA.
http://www.airliners.net/photo/Unite...0fa29dc7be1a21

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 11:47 AM
New Yorker for life

There is a thread for the Empire State Building discussion.

Ben_Senior

papajoesm

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 4:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian.odonnell20 View Post
bin laden wanted to knock the towers over instead of have them collapse, which would've done so much more damage.
Knock the tops off maybe, but there's no way they would have fallen over. They're like trees. The only reason why a tree would fall over is because it's roots were rotted / weakened. That's what the '93 bombing attempted to do. I think considering only 14 people survived from above the impact zone of 2 WTC and none from 1 WTC, I would say that Bin Laden accomplished what he had set out to accomplish... of course now he's dead and his organization is in shambles, so at least there's that...

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 8:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Knock the tops off maybe, but there's no way they would have fallen over. They're like trees. The only reason why a tree would fall over is because it's roots were rotted / weakened. That's what the '93 bombing attempted to do. I think considering only 14 people survived from above the impact zone of 2 WTC and none from 1 WTC, I would say that Bin Laden accomplished what he had set out to accomplish... of course now he's dead and his organization is in shambles, so at least there's that...
And NY, and the USA, plus the whole free world, has accomplished what it set out to do, and that is to build another one, and not allow the putrid low lives to alter its style, and basically have metaphorically taken the new spire, or antenna, whatever you want to call it, and shoved it right back up his ass.

Old Posted Mar 31, 2014, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drumz0rz View Post
Right, he was being shots and he is completely dead. The justice is served.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 1:18 AM

There is a Twin Towers Of The World Trade Center Thread. Please move the conversation about the Twins there.......http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=184976

Old Posted Apr 1, 2014, 4:40 AM

Why does the antenna's lights shut off so early? I've noticed that it shuts off at midnight...much earlier than the buildings in Midtown which shut off after 2 am. Midnight seems kind of sad for the tallest building in the "city that never sleeps".

And what ever happened to the rotating light-house like LEDs and/or the one that was supposed to shoot up straight into the air?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive