HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum
     

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

    

One World Trade Center in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram
New York Projects & Construction Forum
            
View Full Map

 

 
Thread Tools Display Modes
     
     
  #33861  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 5:57 PM
NewYorque's Avatar
NewYorque NewYorque is offline
Sukaitsuri
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 95
I hope they won't admit the iron stick as a spire.
I hope they will say that it is an antenna.

Then the debate will become public: new yorkers will know that 1WTC is officially 1368ft tall. They will wonder "I thought it was supposed to be 1776ft tall!"
they will ask questions.
Sooner or later, all the new yorkers will discover that all this shit is the result of one greedy man who wanted to save his money.
They will criticize him.

It will become a national issue. And, then, the architects will fell like they really have to add a radome. If they don t, 1WTC will become New York's Sagrada Familia forever.

I hope this iron stick, thinner than the old 1WTC's antenna, will never recognized as a spire.
     
     
  #33862  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 7:00 PM
r18tdi's Avatar
r18tdi r18tdi is online now
Team Alinghi
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Chicago
Posts: 1,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Similar thoughts to what I said earlier...






Glow in the dark thunder beads?
     
     
  #33863  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 7:03 PM
cadiomals cadiomals is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 85
Okay, we have really, really exhausted this spire/antenna issue by now. It has basically been discussed continuously for months, with different people essentially repeating the same things.

I hate the cheapness and greediness of the people who kept the radome from being installed as much as anyone else, but the bottom line is the Lower Manhattan skyline is back, and the hole in our hearts and in the skyline that was there for the past decade is finally starting to be filled. This is not as much about having the "tallest" building in the US as much as it's simply about New York bringing downtown back to how it used to be, a vibrant business and tourist destination. Even if they count the spire and 1WTC becomes the tallest in America, something will eventually be built within several years that will surpass it. But what will stay is the new symbol of New York (and America's) resilience after a disaster.

How the antenna turned out is a huge shame, but ultimately if nothing is done about it the only thing we can do is appreciate what we've got (and what we're going to get with the rest of this beautiful complex).

Last edited by cadiomals; Nov 11, 2013 at 3:16 AM.
     
     
  #33864  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 7:12 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 15,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by r18tdi View Post


Glow in the dark thunder beads?
Lol!
__________________
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com
     
     
  #33865  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 7:16 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 15,731
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiomals View Post
Okay, we have really, really exhausted this spire/antenna issue by now. It has basically been discussed continuously for months, with different people essentially repeating the same things.

I hate the cheapness and greediness of the people who kept the radome from being installed as much as anyone else, but the bottom line is the Lower Manhattan skyline is back, and the hole in our hearts and in the skyline that was there for the past decade is finally starting to be filled. This is not as much about having the "tallest" building in the US as much as it's simply about New York bringing downtown back to how it used to be, a vibrant business and tourist destination. Even if they count the spire and 1WTC becomes the tallest in America, something will eventually be built within several years that will surpass it. But what will stay is the new symbol of New York (and America's) resilience after a disaster.

How the antenna turned out is a huge shame, but ultimately if nothing is done about it the only thing we can do is appreciate what we've got (and what we're going to get with the rest of this beautiful complex).
I think that's a defeatist attitude. And quite frankly I think Americans are starting to become complacent and no longer demand the best. This tower doesn't symbolize resilience to me as much as it symbolizes capitulation to the terrorists and greedy bastards like Durst.
__________________
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com
     
     
  #33866  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 7:20 PM
O-tacular's Avatar
O-tacular O-tacular is online now
Fake News
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Calgary
Posts: 15,731
The toothpick looks even more out of place at night with the top of the tower dark and the rings left unlit. I'm not sure why they would choose to highlight it's least attractive feature.
__________________
Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. - Voltaire

https://clockzillakingoflaval.tumblr.com
     
     
  #33867  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 7:20 PM
sw5710 sw5710 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,513
I said before that I hope the CTBUH uses the same criteria they use on existing buildings here to. Well I just read an article online where Daniel Safarik, an architect and spokesman for the CTBUH said the committee could consider amending its height criteria - A move with broader implications that could force a reshuffle in the rankings of the tallest buildings in the world! Those are there words!
     
     
  #33868  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 9:59 PM
weidncol weidncol is offline
weidncol
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 386
Do you think the spire will be lit along with the beacon the opening night of 4 WTC? It sort of makes sense to do so.
     
     
  #33869  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 10:13 PM
Davidsam52 Davidsam52 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Posts: 343
With everyone talking about the spire of late, has anyone else noticed that they have quietly begun to clad the last major portion of the base?
     
     
  #33870  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 11:10 PM
Hudson11's Avatar
Hudson11 Hudson11 is online now
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaze23 View Post
There's nothing "false" about my statement, I clearly stated that "it didn't look strong enough to be seen from a distance" as I was close by, so it's merely an opinion cause I don't know what I looks like from a further distance; all you guys who could see it from afar feel free to chime in.
It was like a lighthouse, very noticeable and extremely bright when facing you
__________________
click here too see hunser's list of the many supertall skyscrapers of New York City!
     
     
  #33871  
Old Posted Nov 10, 2013, 11:50 PM
antinimby antinimby is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: In syndication
Posts: 2,067
I agree with whoever said the rings should be lit as well. It would look like a beautiful crown.
     
     
  #33872  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 12:23 AM
Thaniel Thaniel is offline
Jeez Louise.
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Oklahoma
Posts: 149
Quote:
Originally Posted by sw5710 View Post
The CTBUH recognizes height in three categories

1. Height to Architectural top
2. Highest occupied Floor.
3. Height to tip.

#3 includes lightning rods.It is the same as you find on Aviation charts.
The question still remains. Is the top of the spire an architectural top? Being that the only purpose of the spire is to be tall NOT to serve as a communication antenna or anything like that.
     
     
  #33873  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 12:24 AM
cadiomals cadiomals is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by O-tacular View Post
I think that's a defeatist attitude. And quite frankly I think Americans are starting to become complacent and no longer demand the best. This tower doesn't symbolize resilience to me as much as it symbolizes capitulation to the terrorists and greedy bastards like Durst.
I don't want to sound too scornful here, but when will you be making picket signs and arranging a crowd of at least 100 to protest outside Durst offices or 1WTC? When will you be gathering signatures for a petition? I'd love to know when and where your planned protest is set to be.

Your time for actually getting up and protesting and petitioning with regards to the radome and the design of the new WTC in general has long passed, and as far as I know you never had any intention of doing such a thing. Now people here are just venting their feelings on an online forum which will make ZERO difference (slacktivism), and although you all have the right to express your opinions it's frankly getting quite annoying. People have been saying the same things over and over about the spire for months, and has Durst changed its mind yet? Nope.

You all can go ahead and continue complaining, but as long it's on here your words will fall on no one's ears. You can say all you want how America has become "complacent" but as long as you're not out there actually educating the public and "demanding the best", you are just as complacent as the rest of us, while also being a hypocrite.
     
     
  #33874  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 12:26 AM
ArtDecoRevival ArtDecoRevival is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Posts: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYguy View Post
Please tell me you're joking.
     
     
  #33875  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 1:33 AM
sw5710 sw5710 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Posts: 1,513
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaniel View Post
The question still remains. Is the top of the spire an architectural top? Being that the only purpose of the spire is to be tall NOT to serve as a communication antenna or anything like that.
If all the city's broadcast needs were already taken care of would the 1776' number be a non issue and they would have stopped at the parapet.
     
     
  #33876  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 2:13 AM
599GTO 599GTO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiomals View Post
Okay, we have really, really exhausted this spire/antenna issue by now. It has basically been discussed continuously for months, with different people essentially repeating the same things.

I hate the cheapness and greediness of the people who kept the radome from being installed as much as anyone else, but the bottom line is the Lower Manhattan skyline is back, and the hole in our hearts and in the skyline that was there for the past decade is finally starting to be filled. This is not as much about having the "tallest" building in the US as much as it's simply about New York bringing downtown back to how it used to be, a vibrant business and tourist destination. Even if they count the spire and 1WTC becomes the tallest in America, something will eventually be built within several years that will surpass it. But what will stay is the new symbol of New York (and America's) resilience after a disaster.

How the antenna turned out is a huge shame, but ultimately if nothing is done about it the only thing we can do is appreciate what we've got (and what we're going to get with the rest of this beautiful complex).
It's not a symbol of anything but the ills of bureaucracy, greed, incompetence. I really hope something bigger goes up in front of 1 WTC, perhaps a true 1776 footer, and blocks it.

I will never get over that horrid antenna. What a tragedy.
     
     
  #33877  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 3:09 AM
cadiomals cadiomals is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by 599GTO View Post
It's not a symbol of anything but the ills of bureaucracy, greed, incompetence. I really hope something bigger goes up in front of 1 WTC, perhaps a true 1776 footer, and blocks it.

I will never get over that horrid antenna. What a tragedy.
I can't tell if you read my response to a similar comment above and you're just saying that to intentionally troll or if you're actually serious. Either way, you sound pretty pathetic.
     
     
  #33878  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 4:29 AM
patrick989's Avatar
patrick989 patrick989 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 89
people have as much right to complain about the building as they do to compliment it, it's a free forum to do so.

Last edited by NYguy; Nov 11, 2013 at 4:57 AM.
     
     
  #33879  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 4:57 AM
599GTO 599GTO is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 875
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadiomals View Post
I can't tell if you read my response to a similar comment above and you're just saying that to intentionally troll or if you're actually serious. Either way, you sound pretty pathetic.
No, you idiot, I didn't read your reply. I tend to skip over the 1 WTC fanboys who defend this tower at any cost since you guys really add nothing to the conversation other than blind support. The spire is fucking hideous. I see this building from my window and always look up at that rusty stick (erm, "spire") and laugh out loud. I am really hoping the skyscraper council slaps this building down to earth..down to 1373 ft..where it belongs. Get the fuck over it.
     
     
  #33880  
Old Posted Nov 11, 2013, 5:13 AM
TechTalkGuy's Avatar
TechTalkGuy TechTalkGuy is offline
Mr. Technology
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 3,007
The spire looks fine to me.
     
     
This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts
 
 
 

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive
Forum Jump


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 7:47 PM.

     

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.