HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 9:26 PM

mystery rppc.

eBay

The writing on the back says this is the Lookout Mountain Inn, Los Angeles.

But the land around it appears to be flat. Could this be some sort of a station down below?

Here's the writing on the reverse side.

To see 3940dxer's comprehensive poston Lookout Mountian Inn start HERE.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 22, 2019 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by riichkay View Post
Apologies if this has been covered but Photobucket has instituted new pricing policies, if you are on the $1.99/mo plan (as I am) and exceed a storage limit they will ask you to delete images or they will start blurring your existing pictures....I have gone through some random thread pages and found the blurring....an upgrade to their $4.99 mo. plan gives you 25 GB of storage or 2,500 images, that's a lot of space and I think the price is fair....but there are those no longer active on the board or unwilling to upgrade so it is going to hollow out the thread somewhat.

Photobucket says: "Free accounts are limited to 25MB of bandwidth per month." How many photos is that?

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityBoyDoug View Post
With all due respect Odin:
This is exactly what we used to say about "Free" Photobucket. They never talked about charging for the sin of third party hosting until you were into them for ten years and many hundreds of photos.
Then they drop a hammer and announce ''new conditions" As they say on the street, you've in for a bumpy ride with PB.
I'm concerned when any hosting site says they're free. Is this a lure to hook you?.

I don't trust ANY photo hosting site...free or not...as I posted in July:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
I really don't trust any photo hosting site, if I ever really did. Another forum I visit had a thread where the site masters would convert every photo posted on it to a photo hosting site so that "none of the photos would ever disappear." Around ten years ago that photo site (I believe it was called Taxine or something like that) just vanished offline one night and, obviously, all the photos that were hosted on it disappeared, too. If you had photos hosted on it you never had a warning to do anything about it.

And the reason that forum's site masters wanted to do this in the first place is that a prolific poster on that thread, who posted hundreds of photos, got disgruntled with some rule on that forum and just eliminated all his photos from it by putting them in a new folder on his hosting site.

So that phrase we keep hearing...once it's online it's always there...well not so much, eh?

Old Posted Sep 22, 2019, 11:59 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Photobucket says: "Free accounts are limited to 25MB of bandwidth per month." How many photos is that?

I don't trust ANY photo hosting site...free or not...as I posted in July:
I believe 25MB is 250 photos. This is for PB's''free'' option.

As you correctly state, Martin, using any hosting site is a dangerous game.

Imagine someone with 2250 photos in PB. If you want to go to a Free account, PB makes it almost impossible to delete those extra 2K photos. They only allow you a 5 minute session online to delete photos. At the end of each 5 minute interval you have to reinstate a new 5 minute session.

PB is a total scam. If you fail to pay your monthly dues to PB they put into a type of Internet jail.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
2314 W. 24th Street, Los Angeles - Calif.

eBay

The little girl's sister must be shy. She's hiding in the shadows of the front porch.

It was built by an Elizabeth Emens in 1904 on a lot that was at the very edge of the city limits (and would be until the Colegrove Addition of 1909).
Looks like she was a speculator...George W. Perkins, a real estate man, was living there by the time the '07CD was issued. He died in 1916...

LAT March 24, 1916

His wife and a daughter remained in the house, the daughter with her husband until about 1930 it seems. Thing is, the two Perkins girls were born
in 1885 & 1887, so the kids in the pic can't be them....

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 4:53 PM
History Detective

Lookout Mountain Inn

Quote:
mystery rppc.

eBay

The writing on the back says this is the Lookout Mountain Inn, Los Angeles.

But the land around it appears to be flat. Could this be some sort of a station down below?

Here's the writing on the reverse side.

As its name suggests, Lookout Mountain was, like the Griffith Observatory or the Getty Center, a prime location from which to gaze down on Los Angeles and make a little sense of this famously incomprehensible city. Before roads reached the summit, hikers scaled Lookout Mountain, a 1,500-foot promontory rising above West Hollywood just west of Laurel Canyon, on foot to inhale its fresh mountain air and commanding views.

Eventually, a growing streetcar network and the advent of the automobile—not to mention an experimental trackless trolley line in Laurel Canyon—made the peak accessible to the less adventurous. It also made the land irresistible to subdividers. In 1908, a syndicate of developers bought a 280-acre tract encompassing Lookout Mountain and sliced the land into 700 housing lots, offering them for $250 each.

But the developers reserved the best vantage point for a grand hotel that would advertise the subdivision’s charms. The 24-room Lookout Mountain Inn opened in 1910, and its design took full advantage of the ridge-top location. Wide verandas on three sides of the main structure offered 270-degree views of the lowlands below and the ocean beyond. Guests, who paid $15 per week for room and board, could savor their chicken dinners while the city lights of Hollywood and downtown Los Angeles twinkled in the distance.

The Lookout Mountain Inn met a fiery end on October 26, 1918, after only eight years of business. A brush fire—reportedly started by a group of boys cooking sausages in the foothills—raced up the canyons and reduced the wooden structure to charcoal. It was never rebuilt. Today, a six-bedroom, 9,300-square-foot house occupies the site, its once-famous views hidden behind security gates and privacy walls.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post
Here's the Sanborn map of the area, the first insert at the top right goes above the area at the upper left, the one below that(with the CA Shoe Company building goes above that. The 3rd insert(with the Pearl Button factory goes below the main map(south of Carson). Looking at later maps, the shoe factory was an aircraft engineering firm by the late 20's.

[url=https://postimg.cc/f3hB5Ck0][/url
Detail of above

Going from this, I figured the location of the CA Shoe Manufacturing Company building as being here:

Google Maps

Some of the street names have changed slightly and the property is now a gated community. Both El Prado and 212th st. from the Sanborn map are now parts of Border Avenue.
Interestingly, the building sat between two still standing Pacific Electric landmarks, the bridge over Torrance Bl:

Pintrest

...and the Torrance Depot, now the Depot restaurant. I was able to find this image dated between 1912 & 1916 with the shoe factory in the background. You can also catch just a tiny bit of the bridge at the far left.

http://blogs.dailybreeze.com/history...rrances-depot/

Last edited by Bristolian; Sep 24, 2019 at 1:58 AM.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 9:13 PM

Here's how the area looked in 1941. The shoe factory is roughly at the center of this detail.

mil.library.ucsb.edu

Old Posted Sep 23, 2019, 10:46 PM

Now you guys have me curious about what's going on in this area behind the shoe factory.

......................................................................................................................................................

Any ideas?.......................................................................................................................................................

Could it be storage for the lumber yard that was in the vicinty?.................................................................................................................................................

(I'm still a bit confused by Bill's map / especially the inserts).................................................................................................................................................

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 23, 2019 at 11:08 PM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:01 AM

Quote:

(I'm still a bit confused by Bill's map / especially the inserts).................................................................................................................................................[/CENTER]

The top insert goes directly on top of the main map, the insert below it(with the shoe company) goes on top of that insert. The third insert(this one was confusing) goes below the main map(and there's a bit of distance from the bottom of the main map to where the insert would be). If you look at a modern map the 3rd insert would be at the northeast corner of Border and 218th street.

I'll have to check the later Sanborns, but I believe that area* has long been an auto camp/mobile home location(it's current use).

*The 1932 Sanborn lists the area as "cabins". There was a lumber yard, but it was south of 213th Street at Bow.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:35 AM

Thanks for the clarification(s), Bill. I appreciate it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillinGlendaleCA View Post

*The 1932 Sanborn lists the area as "cabins". There was a lumber yard, but it was south of 213th Street at Bow.
Cabins. That's interesting...hmmmm.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 12:41 AM

Can't find the link now but there was a reference in an article to skilled shoe workers from Lynn, Massachusetts being brought in to staff the factory. Maybe the cabins originally housed those workers.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 4:54 AM

Mini-Me Gaylord

While I was snooping around Torrance I happened upon a distinctive apartment building named the GAYLORD.

GSV

GW, did you know there was a Mini-Me Gaylord in Torrance?

It's visible in Hoss' 1941 aerial.

The Torrance GAYLORD was built in 1927.

& Today

google_earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noir_Noir View Post

Can't find the link now but there was a reference in an article to skilled shoe workers from Lynn, Massachusetts being brought in to staff the factory.

Maybe the cabins originally housed those workers.
That is an interesting possibility, Noir Noir.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 4:57 AM

Credit

Quote:
mystery

E_R and SheriffPaul:

I located the Lookout Mountain Inn and posted a 3 part history of it back on page 811 six years ago. 3940dxer and I did some exploring around there as well, but those were my posts.

Last edited by Lorendoc; Sep 24, 2019 at 5:09 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:03 AM

Thanks Lorendoc.

Noirishers, you can see part one of Lorendoc's AMAZING post HERE.

It's truly one of the best in the whole thread!

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 24, 2019 at 5:17 AM.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:21 AM

Lorendoc, what did you think of the photograph I posted? ...Have we seen this photograph before?

Lookout Mountain Inn, Los Angeles California. (written on the reverse)

eBay

I mentioned earlier how flat the land was..but I failed to mention the body of water!

I wonder if this photograph was simply mislabeled.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
The home was built by an Elizabeth Emens in 1904 on a lot that was at the very edge of the city limits (and would be until the Colegrove Addition of 1909).
Looks like she was a speculator...George W. Perkins, a real estate man, was living there by the time the '07CD was issued. He died in 1916...

His wife and a daughter remained in the house, the daughter with her husband until about 1930 it seems. Thing is, the two Perkins girls were born
in 1885 & 1887, so the kids in the pic can't be them....
Thanks for the information, GW. I appreciate it.

1916 Building Permit to extend the rear bedroom by 8' and add on a sleeping porch. (I wasn't able to locate the original 1904 building permit)

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 5:30 PM
History Detective

Howdy Partners

Sorry posters. I didn't see the Lookout Mountain Inn post by Lorendoc. I was just responding to ethereal_reality. Nothing to see here, let's keep moving.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 10:42 PM

Lee Bigler's Community Brake and Speedometer Service at 1218 Santa Monica Blvd.

santmonicalibrary

You're going to think I'm nuts, but that large window facing the street reminds me of the famous window at Hitler's Berghof. ....(I like WWII history)

This one.

argunners

Guess what, folks! Lee Bigler's building, and the window, have survived with very little changes. ...(except the TILE is missing from the roof)

GSV

After all these years I expected the window to be blocked up..like so many other windows in vintage bldgs in L.A.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2019, 11:17 PM

I am hoping someone can find a better scan of this intriguing bit of ephemera I re-discovered in one of my old files the other day.

I've enlarged it the best to my ability but the overall text is too blurry to read.

OLD FILE / UNKNOWN MOTION PICTURE MAGAZINE

This must be the restaurant where the fight took place. Does anyone recognize it?

DETAIL

I tried squinting.

And who's this dude?

DETAIL

He must be the guy that got clobbered. I believe it says, C. C. Julian.

Also too.....

The MMM (in my file description) is the infamous Mary Miles Minter (the lover of murdered film director, William Desmond Taylor)

TIMELINE

Mary Miles Minter as Cleopatra............................................................................

One more mystery: I wanted to find the date of the photograph so I checked IMPD but I don't see 'Cleopatra' as one of her credits.

Last edited by ethereal_reality; Sep 24, 2019 at 11:32 PM.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2019, 5:37 AM

Quote:
I am hoping someone can find a better scan of this intriguing bit of ephemera I re-discovered in one of my old files the other day.

OLD FILE / UNKNOWN MOTION PICTURE MAGAZINE

And who's this dude?

DETAIL

He must be the guy that got clobbered. I believe it says, C. C. Julian.

Yes, C.C. Julian of the "Julian Pete" oil stock scandal which must have been written about here earlier. I highly recommend his biography:

for sale at amazon.com

The fight with Chaplin took place at the Club Petroushka, 7016 Hollywood Boulevard. It made the front pages of all the local newspapers on 23 Jan 1924.

It looks like the building survived.

GSV

As to the "Lookout Mountain Inn" photo, I have no idea other than it is nowhere near where I live.

Last edited by Lorendoc; Sep 25, 2019 at 5:56 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos