HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 4:40 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Pal View Post
Speaking of Hollywood & Vine, meet Sally...
Sally of Hollywood and Vine
Trick Gadget c. 1940.
This is listed as a vintage sleaze item. A novelty gag.
I read the directions—what, exactly is this supposed to do or show or portray?
Martin....This probably shows something naughty....LOL

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 6:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaylordWilshire View Post
screenmusingsdotorg
The Addams Family tv-series house--a painting-on-photograph that includes one of the
six-globe streetlamps (at right) installed in Chester Place in 1903 (the "city's first
in a residential community," according to the L.A. Times) and soon after in
other parts of West Adams. It was based on the Los Angeles house below.

Don Sloper/Los Angeles's Chester Place/Sisters of St. John of Carondelet
The Newhall house ca. 1969. I haven't found a photo of the house closer to its construction.

screenmusingsdotorg
An actual photograph of the Newhall house used early in the series, without matte
painting added.

As it turns out, the identity of the Addams Family house of the 1964-66 tv series house has, in a sense, been hiding in plain sight. You'd think it was practically unknown if you Googled even recently, what with all sorts of off-the-mark speculation on various websites--it seems that there is a claim for just about every Victorian in America being the model for the tv house. One or two sites mention that it might have been "on West Adams Boulevard"--well, turns out that it was in West Adams, the district, a block from the Boulevard, at 21 Chester Place. I've discovered that Don Sloper, the expert on the street and author of the excellent Los Angeles's Chester Place in the "Images of America" series, includes in his 2006 book pictures of the house unavailable via the LAPL and USC etc and the information that it was built by Walter S. Newhall, son of the man for whom Newhall, Calif., was named. Walter Newhall had quite a major piece of property, and it actually predates the 1899 subdivision of Chester Place. Its original address was West 25th Street. The Dohenys moved into Chester Place in 1901 and proceeded to buy up almost all of the street's houses, and somehow even gained control of the short piece of 25th Street between Chester and St. James Park--including the Newhall house in 1915. The Dohenys rented out their many houses, including the Newhall. One couple, the Grafes, rented it from 1935 until 1969, according to their grandson, Joe Nesbitt, writing on a vintage-tv website that was puzzling over the mystery of the Addams house. (It seems Nesbitt should know, and the Grafes are indeed listed at 21 Chester Place in the 1939 Los Angeles phone book.) The house was demolished soon after the Grafes left to make way for a high school. I can't imagine Mrs. Doheny allowing the use of one of her houses for television--she was by all accounts a woman maniacal when it came to controlling her environment (her atrocious taste in interior decoration, gaudy even by Victorian nouveau-riche standards, is something else...but I digress)--but she was resting comfortably in Calvary Cemetery by then. (It seems that Mount St. Mary's College, which inherited Chester Place, didn't mind tv's use of the house, and, after all, it wasn't really the same house after the art department worked on it. And no doubt a little donation was involved.) Anyway, the Filmways art department found 21 Chester, and, after some tweaking, gave us the house you see in the series--at least a painting of it, with some altered windows, added third-floor mansard and tower, and other Addamsesque details. (The actual house only appeared in the first episode, I've read.)
21 Chester Place, September 1, 1959:

Huntington Digital Library -- http://hdl.huntington.org/cdm/single...d/8908/rec/291

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 7:08 AM

Easter Sunrise Service at the Hollywood Bowl (1944)

Hollywood Photographs

Ever since I first saw this photo years ago I’ve always found it very haunting. I wondered what the sailors and others were thinking about and what they might have been through and even where they were from. The end of the war was over a year off, but at this time no one knew that. They only knew it had been going on for nearly three years at that point. An event like this Sunrise Easter Service may have been more poignant and emotional than usual. This photograph actually inspired me to attend one of these Easter Sunrise Services about a dozen years ago and it was quite memorable. It’s a tradition that’s been under siege recently because of several factors. One was extensive remodeling and the facility wasn’t available a couple times. Another was theft of properties used in the event. The more serious factors, though, are the expense to put it on (it is free) and the unfortunate dwindling of attendance. If it does not continue it’s a real shame because it’s a unique and beautiful experience, even if one is not religiously or spiritually inclined.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 4:10 PM

What's wrong with this Hody’s postcard?

Nichols/Lotta Living

Apparently, the Capitol Records Building took a walk across the street!

(The clown's nose on the billboard rotated!)

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 5:12 PM

Cord

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
Los Angeles

ebay

detail

I believe this is a Cord. Does anyone recognize the buildings?
__
You are right about the car being a Cord, it is in fact a Cord Beverly. Beverly model Cords had the “distinctive” trunk. Personally I think it destroyed the uniqueness of the body style but was an answer to having very little trunk space. I have a 1941 Graham Hollywood which is made from Cord dies and can attest to the fact there is little trunk space to speak of .

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 6:50 PM

Hollywood Graham, I must confess that I'd never heard of a Graham Hollywood before your post. Out of curiosity I looked for a picture, and found this image of Laraine Day among the results:

wikidi.com

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 8:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethereal_reality View Post
I didn't know Plomb Tools became Proto Tools.
__

originally posted by MichaelRyerson

I came across this interesting newspaper article earlier this morning.

August 1938

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/thed...008/08/page/2/

I thought it would be fun quest to try and find a photograph (perhaps an aerial) that shows the house behind
the S.A.R. Headquarters on Hope Street.

I also wonder what "haunted house on Bunker Hill" Mrs. Tafe speaks of.

__
I do believe the Hildreth house categorized as "haunted" the most of all

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 9:32 PM
BANNED

Advertised as "Exciting - gay - carefree.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollywood Graham View Post
You are right about the car being a Cord, it is in fact a Cord Beverly. Beverly model Cords had the “distinctive” trunk. Personally I think it destroyed the uniqueness of the body style but was an answer to having very little trunk space. I have a 1941 Graham Hollywood which is made from Cord dies and can attest to the fact there is little trunk space to speak of .
HG....interesting that you actually own a Graham.

The Graham Hollywood. Nice looking compact type car.

The various models offered for 1940.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2014, 9:37 PM

Quote:
KCET
In this aerial from the Hollywood & Vine posts yesterday, I was looking at the "Fullers" roof sign and today I happened upon this photo taken from the opposite direction.

LAPL

It's dated c. 1920.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 5:36 AM

Speaking of the Brown Derby, when the original Vine Street Brown Derby closed down in the mid-1990's, it became Arbat Restaurant for a brief time. (1987)

Bruce Torrence

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 6:15 AM

West Hollywood on the move.

LAPL

Caption: Traffic around the exclusive Chateau Marmont, located at 8221 Sunset Blvd. in what is now West Hollywood, had been tied up for several hours today when a house being moved up Marmont Lane was snagged by an immovable telephone pole. With difficulty movers "rocked" the house by the pole and traffic flowed again. Photo dated: February 15, 1950.

A couple years later, another house is stuck on Doheny:

LAPL
Caption: Half of this two-story house became stuck on Doheny Drive south of Sunset Blvd. in what is now West Hollywood. As shown, 'No Parking' signs were posted on trees the day before, but motorists ignored them. Photo dated: July 11, 1952.

We had a couple posts recently about the Bit O' Sweden Restaurant on Doheny and Sunset Blvd. featuring the "Gruen" watch sign and also a color photo of the neon. On the left hand side of the above photo, you can see that restaurant and the Gruen watch sign at Doheny and Sunset.

The following 1937 photo shows that building on Doheny and Sunset, taken from the diagonal corner where you see a sign for "Gate's Nut Kettle / Nutty Sandwiches," located at 9112 Sunset Boulevard.

LAPL

Last edited by Martin Pal; Apr 21, 2014 at 3:24 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 6:27 AM

I recently posted about Mom (Anne) Lehr's Hollywood Guild and Canteen here:
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=20396
HossC provided some further info on the same page.

I found two interior photos of the place on LAPL.
(Sources sometimes confuse the Hollywood Canteen with the similarly titled Hollywood Guild and Canteen.)

Lucky Ervin!

LAPL

Lucky No. 2,000,000! Ervin Hermann, sailor from Oklahoma City, talks over what happened to him with Anne Lehr, founder and president of the Hollywood Guild and Canteen, and Mary Pickford, vice president, when he was the 2,000,000th serviceman to register at the haven for G.I.'s on North Crescent Heights Blvd., in what is now West Hollywood. Hermann was presented with a war bond, whisked onto a national radio program, and had a date with Diana Lynn, screen starlet, at Earl Carroll's for dinner. Later, he was taken on a tour of night clubs.

LAPL

Last edited by Martin Pal; Apr 21, 2014 at 3:20 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 6:31 AM

The Kings Restaurant (undated postcard)
The address is on or near the corner of Santa Monica Blvd. and Crescent Heights (north side)

LAPL

Last edited by Martin Pal; Apr 24, 2016 at 10:54 PM. Reason: replace image

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 6:35 AM

Sounds like a pre-cursor to TOOTSIE. (If you need work, you do what you gotta do…)

LAPL

Photograph caption reads, "Masculine jail clothing was substituted for feminine attire worn by these three youths after they were nabbed early today. They said they had been employed as female domestic servants in fashionable Wilshire district. Physical examination by police showed that 'Tisha Porter' actually is Queque Malpress, 19; 'Rita Porter' is Frank Porter, 21, and 'Mary Lee Porter' is Willie Moore, 21 (left to right)." Photograph dated January 27, 1950.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 6:47 AM

LAPL

This is ostensibly a photo of the Chateau Marmont, but in the foreground on Sunset Blvd. there is the Imperial Gardens Restaurant, the first photo of it I've located so far. (Formerly The Players Club and currently Pink Taco.)

There's a billboard with the 1984 Olympics theme, so the photo could be before, during or after that time, c. 1983-1985.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 11:00 AM

Quote:

Caption: Half of this two-story house became stuck on Doheny Drive south of Sunset Blvd. in what is now West Hollywood. As shown, 'No Parking' signs were posted on trees the day before, but motorists ignored them. Photo dated: July 11, 1952.
Here's another view of the same incident. I wonder where the house ended up.

vintage everyday

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 2:02 PM
BANNED

Used buildings on the move....

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

vintage everyday
Most of these Wilshire area homes were moved south to become apartment buildings during the 1950s.

Pictured below is one my father bought, had it cut into pieces and moved to Venice Blvd. It was converted into 3 or 4 apartments. The one at the left was also moved from the Wilshire area. I was a kid then but I still remember the stories of how difficult it could be to move one of these mansions. The moving was mostly done at night so traffic would not be affected. When they arrived at their new site you had to do a lot of reconstruction as the moving experience really tore up the insides. They are still strange to live in to some degree. What was a bedroom is now a living room. A former large closet is now a kitchen or bath.
The main reason they were moved was they were considered too nice to just destroy them and the price was relatively low.. We sold the last one in 1990.

GSV

Last edited by CityBoyDoug; Apr 21, 2014 at 2:23 PM.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossC View Post

vintage everyday
In the caption of the first photo it says "half a house" was stuck. Does that mean in these photos that this is half of the original house?

Also wondering where it might have come from if it was near the corner of Doheny & Sunset. (Rather steep there.) Maybe it was "on" Doheny and the construction on the left in this photo had something to do with it. Or not. Wherever this house was located it appears the address was 1226 or 1206.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 3:36 PM
BANNED

Movie time...

Quote:
Sounds like a pre-cursor to TOOTSIE. (If you need work, you do what you gotta do…)

Photograph caption reads, "Masculine jail clothing was substituted for feminine attire worn by these three youths after they were nabbed early today. They said they had been employed as female domestic servants in fashionable Wilshire district. Physical examination by police showed that 'Tisha Porter' actually is Queque Malpress, 19; 'Rita Porter' is Frank Porter, 21, and 'Mary Lee Porter' is Willie Moore, 21 (left to right)." Photograph dated January 27, 1950.
This would make an amusing movie. I note the nails.

Old Posted Apr 21, 2014, 8:49 PM

Quote:
West Hollywood on the move.

LAPL

Caption: Traffic around the exclusive Chateau Marmont, located at 8221 Sunset Blvd. in what is now West Hollywood, had been tied up for several hours today when a house being moved up Marmont Lane was snagged by an immovable telephone pole. With difficulty movers "rocked" the house by the pole and traffic flowed again. Photo dated: February 15, 1950.

LAPL

We had a couple posts recently about the Bit O' Sweden Restaurant on Doheny and Sunset Blvd. featuring the "Gruen" watch sign and also a color photo of the neon. On the left hand side of the above photo, you can see that restaurant and the Gruen watch sign at Doheny and Sunset.

The following 1937 photo shows that building on Doheny and Sunset, taken from the diagonal corner where you see a sign for "Gate's Nut Kettle / Nutty Sandwiches," located at 9112 Sunset Boulevard.

LAPL

More photos of the area here: http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/show...ostcount=15318

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Photography Forums > Found City Photos