HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trans Canada View Post
Funny thing is, it's a modern brand of internet/student activists who get offended by these posts. I don't think it's the old PC types who are crying "homophobia!" at Drever.
Yep, it's the 20-something Tumblr "social justice warriors" who insist on being offended by everything.

I'm 21 and I know a lot of people may age who are like that.

Old Posted May 23, 2015, 11:40 PM

Yup, this is social justice warriors. Young, extremely active on social media, and willing to sell their souls to appear on the "right" side of an argument that can be twisted to involve any and every kind of slight. All for those precious Facebook likes.

Typically I imagine the demographics of these people generally overlaps with those that support parties like the NDP, but again, party platforms and actual political views of representatives are entirely irrelevant to things that were said years ago that can be twisted into the gravest injustice imaginable in Facebook campaigns and online petitions.

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 12:07 AM
Home of Hyperchange

Quote:
Originally Posted by geotag277 View Post
All for those precious Facebook likes.
The quest for which, ironically, is what generates such bizarre behaviour in the first place.

I'm definitely an old fart these days. It's literally never occurred to me to take a picture of myself doing something even remotely silly, and post it online for the world to see. I have never once in my life thought "hey, I really should post a racist joke online". I've done a lot, and I mean a LOT of stupid shit in my life. And I say a metric fuck-ton of stupid stuff online. But I don't attach it to my real name with the hope of attracting more "likes" or "followers" or whatever the high score is. Most of the stupid things I've done in my life are known to a handful of people, and there's very little proof of it beyond anecdotes.

But I don't take pictures of the current food I'm eating. Or post my current mood. Or tell everyone about the Herpes I just got over. I'm just not part of Generation Vain (tm).

I think we've done an entire generation a huge disservice. The powers-that-be keep trying to repeat this message of "don't post embarrassing stuff online" - the problem is that immature people, by the very definition of the word immature, lack the judgement to know what could be embarrassing in the future. The real message from day one should have been "don't post anything about yourself in public spaces, period" - but I guess that's just too plain for some.

Unfortunately this isn't going to get better anytime soon. I fear we're going to have to watch an entire generation of martyrs go down in flames before humanity as a whole grows up and says "fuck it, who cares about this trivial nonsense?".

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 1:03 AM

Quote:
or simply comments that were uttered that have no place for a public representative, but were uttered before said individual accepted that role ?
Those still say a lot about the individual.

I assume that some people of that riding are pissed at what they're now discovering is the person they voted for (that unknown-to-them-at-the-time name that was, on the ballot, Rachel Notley's flagbearer for their riding). On the other hand, well... they DID vote for that person.

The NPD when they accepted her were a tiny ragtag organization that couldn't hope to form the opposition, let alone the government, even less a majority one. They probably didn't have enough resources to bother vetting correctly, especially in Calgary ridings where the fight was going to be between PC and WR, otherwise, those homophobic comments would have disqualified her at that stage.

When a bunch of noobs who had absolutely no chance to possibly get elected end up getting elected, it's ALWAYS like that. You just can't expect to recruit quality candidates en masse when you're a fringe party that's rotting at the bottom of the polls, so you lower your standards and take any loser who'll accept to put his name next to your party's name on the ballot. It was like that with the ADQ in Quebec in 2007. It was like that with the federal NPD in 2011. It will be like that with the NPD in Alberta in 2015. I expect other cases like her to surface eventually.

Old Posted May 24, 2015, 3:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lio45 View Post
Those still say a lot about the individual.
Do you honestly believe that? Does anyone honestly believe this from their core? Do you really think one bad offensive joke can totally and completely define a person to the extent that you are assuming in this sentence?

I have said plenty of bad jokes that could be construed as offensive in my time. If I were part of this younger generation, a few of them might even be documented online. I think it's hard for some people in older generations (myself included in that demographic) to understand the role and nature of social media these days. It is a platform for communicating in a very casual way among friends. It is equivalent to hanging out and joking around with friends in the coffee shop or bar or arcades of yesteryear. It's also important to note that the latest comment she made was made privately not meant to be public among a friends only feed. Can you think of any offensive jokes or bad jokes or jokes that could be taken in isolation to completely define and represent your character you might have said among friends privately in your past? Do you think there are actually individuals that exist that are qualified to run and serve in public office that DON'T have these kinds of things in their past? I think you may be able to count them on one hand in the entire country if so.

Quote:
The NPD when they accepted her were a tiny ragtag organization that couldn't hope to form the opposition
This is just pure hog wash. There is this constant narrative around the NDP party when it applies to every single party in existence. The PCs and the WR also were stretched thin to find representatives in every riding, and historically it has been extremely easy to pick apart and dismantle these individuals based on comments, especially comments made AFTER the individuals in question were elected.

Look at your own situation in Quebec. How much scrutiny is really applied to each party that has individuals in every riding? Do you honestly think that only the NDP has the problem of running less than ideal candidates in some ridings?

Again, this isn't a particular party problem, this is a consequence of the party system period. It affects everyone, every party.

Quote:
When a bunch of noobs who had absolutely no chance to possibly get elected
Who again defines the qualifications required to be a "non noob"? PC's ran a bunch of candidates in ridings and their only experience was "small business owner". Zero information about the business, zero context for experience, they could have been selling stamps on ebay out of their car losing thousands of dollars a day and destitute due to a gambling addiction. These same people that people assume because they run under the PC party they must have financial experience. Who is vetting any of these candidates?

What matters is her performance after she has been elected and fully enters the role as a public representative. All this other discourse and narrative and dialog regarding things that happened since she was 19 years old is a National Enquirer style gossipy small minded distraction.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 2:17 PM
Community Guy

This was the scene outside the Legislature yesterday for the swearing in of the NDP.

(http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...?size=620x400s)

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 2:33 PM
Sawmill Billowtoker

The new party is sworn in. Merging with thread in the Alberta forum.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 2:51 PM
Community Guy

6 Cabinet Ministers for Edmonton, 3 Calgary, 3 other... wow!

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 4:15 PM
Majestic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
6 Cabinet Ministers for Edmonton, 3 Calgary, 3 other... wow!
Can't complain. We've got three Calgarians in key positions. My future MLA (representing downtown Calgary) is the Justice and Solicitor general. Also really glad to have a person holding the Municipal Affairs portfolio who is from a big city.

Hopefully we won't see constant cabinet shuffles like what happened in the late PC dynasty. The game of musical chairs made it sometimes quite difficult to figure out who was the minister of what at any given time.

Flickr

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 4:27 PM

It will be pretty hard to keep cabinet this small into 2016. There is just too much to do, or to decide not to do. Some of the portfolios that have been combined are designed to operate at cross purposes to check and balance each other. But small is good to start out, since it is hard to eliminate complexity later, but easy to add it.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 5:15 PM
of Canada

Quote:
It is equivalent to hanging out and joking around with friends in the coffee shop or bar or arcades of yesteryear. It's also important to note that the latest comment she made was made privately not meant to be public among a friends only feed. Can you think of any offensive jokes or bad jokes or jokes that could be taken in isolation to completely define and represent your character you might have said among friends privately in your past? Do you think there are actually individuals that exist that are qualified to run and serve in public office that DON'T have these kinds of things in their past? I think you may be able to count them on one hand in the entire country if so.
I agree with most of what you've said except for this bit. I really don't think that what a person puts out there on social media is equivalent to hanging out with friends in a coffee shop. What has happened here has proved that. You might think what you say is private and among friends but it's not. It's out there now for everyone to see and pass judgment on.

For all the complainers, they had every opportunity to check her out before she was elected. To bad for them now if they don't like it. I believe her when she says it was in her past and think she should be given an opportunity to prove herself now. She has 4 years to do so.
All right... all right... but apart from better sanitation and medicine and education and irrigation and public health and roads and a freshwater system and baths and public order... what have the Romans done for us? NOTHING!

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 6:54 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldrsx View Post
This was the scene outside the Legislature yesterday for the swearing in of the NDP.

(http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/...?size=620x400s)
Maybe the first thing they will do is buy shoes for all Albertans. Clearly there is a need.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 6:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
Maybe the first thing they will do is buy shoes for all Albertans. Clearly there is a need.
They are standing on the edge of a fountain, on stone that would have been awfully warm if one were not dipping your feet every so often in the water.

I am still surprised no one has died in that pool. It is to be replaced in the next grounds revamp with a zero entry pool with the same footprint.

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 7:12 PM
Klatuu Barada Nikto

^ & ^^ Haha, yeah there's water flowing over that ledge as it's part of the reflection pool. But without that context, that observation is pretty funny.

Soviet Albertastan glorious new leader Reychel Notleyevsky now permit workers to own shoes and extra ration of beets as reward for election! Glory to Albertastan!

Old Posted May 25, 2015, 7:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveography View Post
^ & ^^ Haha, yeah there's water flowing over that ledge as it's part of the reflection pool. But without that context, that observation is pretty funny.

Soviet Albertastan glorious new leader Reychel Notleyevsky now permit workers to own shoes and extra ration of beets as reward for election! Glory to Albertastan!
Because the fountain is no longer level, water only flows over the southern edge when the wind is blowing right. That stone gets pretty hot in the sun! In late 2011 I believe something settled and the fountain drained out into the pedway/roadway/parkade. It only opened that year due to an emergency repair conducted in spring 2012. There was some thought given to keeping it closed and speeding up the replacement, but the continual delays with the federal building kibosh-ed that.

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 6:14 PM
Calgary Martindale

David Dodge

Old Posted Jun 19, 2015, 7:08 PM

Well, a good reason to do this is to convince caucus to do something that you don't think they will like.

Since it isn't like you are ever going to get the haters of debt on side.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia