HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jun 18, 2018, 11:17 PM

Old Posted Jun 22, 2018, 7:01 PM

This is being discussed at next week's Historic Landmark Commission meeting.

There is a plan to move this house closer to the curb on 24th St. so an 9-story 90' apartment building can be built in what will be the big new backyard.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=300946

Here's the rendering LOL. Somebody's 7 year old did it.

http://www.austintexas.gov/edims/document.cfm?id=300946

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jun 24, 2018, 3:05 PM
Love Austin

Wow! Let it be moved! We're desperate for homes there not 'historic lawns'... This is one to keep an eye on. City government has a tendency to make housing difficult.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2018, 7:40 PM

Crane for Ruckus 2.0 went up over the weekend.

Ruckus 2.0 by Darius Fontenette, on Flickr

Church of Scientology renovations in full swing now.

Church of Scientology by Darius Fontenette, on Flickr

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 9:12 PM

Old Posted Jul 12, 2018, 9:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbannizer View Post
I've wanted to see that view for the past year or two (I live in Redondo Beach, CA). That's actually a very nice - albeit kind of stubby - skyline. It's a shame there can't be an occasional point tower to break up the monotony...

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 12:01 AM

I agree, especially when viewed from downtown. But fortunately, as is, it looks pretty amazing from street level. Though not over the top tall, they are still rather imposing looking and dense, and even though there's not much to them design wise, most are distinct from the others. For actual height, there's still the UT Tower and Dobie, still one of my favorite towers nearby.

Old Posted Jul 13, 2018, 4:10 PM

I wonder if that Domino's on the corner could soon be closing (for redevelopment?).

They are building out a new Domino's location in the former Departure Lounge storefront at the corner of 5th and Guadalupe. Maybe that's a sign? It seems to me that two locations so close together (for a pizza chain that primarily lives on delivery) would be a bit overkill.

Old Posted Jul 14, 2018, 1:08 AM

The maximum 175' West Campus height applies to that corner. So the site does have some development potential.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 7:49 PM

Crane is up for Villas on Nueces

Villas on Nueces by Darius Fontenette, on Flickr

West Campus Construction by Darius Fontenette, on Flickr

Villas on Nueces by Darius Fontenette, on Flickr

Last edited by Urbannizer; Jul 17, 2018 at 9:29 PM.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 8:40 PM

it is crazy down there. so great

Old Posted Jul 17, 2018, 9:23 PM

The construction down there is incredible.

We're building whole new cities in West Campus, the Domain and Mueller... oh and downtown.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 2:39 AM

Does anyone ever wonder whether, eventually, non-student professionals looking for housing might begin displacing UT/ACC students in West Campus? I know this is true already to a minor extent. There are many 25+ working adults further away from UT Campus in living in West Campus. Anecdotally, I was even roommate-matched (student apartments offer roommate matching) with a 39-year old paramedic who had already been living there for two years.

I'm fairly certain this would start to occur in the portion of West Campus closer to North Lamar, but I can't help but to wonder if some these current student buildings will eventually pivot from students to young professionals in their target demographic if market forces begin blowing that way.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 4:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austinite101 View Post
Does anyone ever wonder whether, eventually, non-student professionals looking for housing might begin displacing UT/ACC students in West Campus? I know this is true already to a minor extent. There are many 25+ working adults further away from UT Campus in living in West Campus. Anecdotally, I was even roommate-matched (student apartments offer roommate matching) with a 39-year old paramedic who had already been living there for two years.

I'm fairly certain this would start to occur in the portion of West Campus closer to North Lamar, but I can't help but to wonder if some these current student buildings will eventually pivot from students to young professionals in their target demographic if market forces begin blowing that way.
Aside from the more general concerns about noise or party vibes typically associated with off-campus living, aren't a lot of these student apartments set up in a way that might discourage working professionals from moving in?

My impression is that a lot of them are multiple room apartments that are leased by the room, so each room has its own lock and renters have limited input on who leases the others?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 5:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atxsnail View Post
Aside from the more general concerns about noise or party vibes typically associated with off-campus living, aren't a lot of these student apartments set up in a way that might discourage working professionals from moving in?

My impression is that a lot of them are multiple room apartments that are leased by the room, so each room has its own lock and renters have limited input on who leases the others?
I think some may be that way, but from my experience living in WC for about 4 years, most if not all of the renters have a group of 4 people (or however many) already.

That being said, I owned a WC condo, and when I moved downtown, I rented it out to a doctor that worked in the 38th st. area. So I fully agree that eventually people will start renting there regardless of students and noise. The rent value was comparatively low given the sale value of the condo (compared to downtown, at least).

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 6:18 PM

I keep hoping more regular apartments will be built to encourage this. There has to be a limit on how many dorm/apartments the market can absorb.... I Hope.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 6:37 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I keep hoping more regular apartments will be built to encourage this. There has to be a limit on how many dorm/apartments the market can absorb.... I Hope.
Yes, approximately 50k beds between the sum of West Campus, on campus housing, and other surrounding areas. Of course, that’s provided UT doesn’t increase its enrollment and doesn’t include potential ACC students renting in the area or perhaps even students from other regional universities.
SATX: 1435k (+8%) + MSA suburbs: 1124k (+38%) + CSA exurbs: 18k (+11%)
ATX: 962k (+22%) + MSA suburbs: 1322k (+43%)

Old Posted Aug 2, 2018, 7:11 PM

It's pretty clear that non-University/non-student commercial and office projects are creeping north from downtown. It's only a matter of time IMO before these collide a little more forcefully than they have.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2018, 1:27 PM
World Traveler

^^ Yeah, and when they do, the student housing growth would need to go north along Guadelupe & Lamar or east along Dean Keeton & Manor Rd, and perhaps MLK.

Side note, I have wondered if some of those "older" buildings around St. David's would be purchased and redeveloped in the near future...(Dean Keeton / Red River).

West Campus is growing rapidly. While I'm okay with increasing the height, I would also be okay with the current cap and increase the street activity in new developments. Does anyone know the height limit to the south of MLK, west of Guadelupe?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2018, 2:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drummer View Post
^^ Yeah, and when they do, the student housing growth would need to go north along Guadelupe & Lamar or east along Dean Keeton & Manor Rd, and perhaps MLK.

Side note, I have wondered if some of those "older" buildings around St. David's would be purchased and redeveloped in the near future...(Dean Keeton / Red River).

West Campus is growing rapidly. While I'm okay with increasing the height, I would also be okay with the current cap and increase the street activity in new developments. Does anyone know the height limit to the south of MLK, west of Guadelupe?
Much of that area is zoned single-family, especially Judge’s Hill. The area bounded by Rio Grande St., MLK, 15th, and Guadalupe (I think) allows for more given that there are some low-rise offices along Rio Grande south of MLK. But I would think new zoning would be needed for larger buildings similar to the size of what is going up in West Campus these days.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin