HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 11:07 PM

Brad Ferguson is stepping down in March
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...arch-1.4423660

Old Posted Nov 28, 2017, 11:16 PM
Community Guy

Yup... dropped this morning while many of us were at Committee at City Hall. Everyone's phones started going off.

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 2, 2017, 2:33 PM

How to love our tourists
http://edmontonsun.com/opinion/colum...e-our-tourists

Some good thoughts about tourist indifference and helpful signs.

Old Posted Dec 27, 2017, 4:38 AM

Edmonton is third in Airbnb's top travel destinations for next year, based on the amount of bookings for the first half of 2018.

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...k6xL3KRtyh1qvE

https://www.google.ca/url?sa=t&rct=j...ji3bAU-zIIlPip

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 8:02 AM

Surprised nobody's bothered posting this yet

Video Link

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 4:17 PM
Community Guy

It has been all over social media.

Love it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 4:31 PM
BANNED

Great video, and Mike is so hot!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 6:06 PM

Nice video But Mike Kelly does not live here - his off season home is Seattle. I believe that is the case

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 6:10 PM
Derp

Lol, yeah Mike Kelly, who does he think he is, claiming to live in Edmonton and stuff, or so I've heard

Mike Reilly on the other hand is a great choice for that video, regardless of where he resides full or part time. He's very involved in the community and a wonderful spokesperson for the City of Edmonton

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 6:22 PM

He is a great choice for the video but again if your not dedicated to the community by living here year round the words may be interpreted as hollow. Now if he is moving here and a full time member of the community then I apologize and retract my comments

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 6:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post
Brad Ferguson is stepping down in March
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...arch-1.4423660
Does know if Brad is remaining in Edmonton or moving on to somewhere else in the world?

Old Posted Jan 15, 2018, 6:42 PM
Community Guy

TBD, but his family has very strong roots in AB so I am guessing he is staying around.

As for Mike Reilly, he is an American from Washington State guys.... makes sense to head back there for part of the year.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 9:27 PM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

My idea two best ideas for trying to boost our image and reputation, 4K 24 hour webcams aimed at the skyline from key viewpoints like Forest Heights Park, Strathern Park, Saskatchewan Drive, Emily Murphy Park, Blatchford Field... That way the city or whomever controls it could generate hundreds if not thousands of stunning skyline images and video samples they could either give away for free for PR purposes... Think Getty Images... Also how about making like a landscape photographers guide to Edmonton, for people for all skill sets to be able to take great photographs of the city with the skyline or the river valley in the pictures... Kinda like Disneyland with those "photospot" signs... If it works for the most successful media company in history, it should be good for YEG...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canucklehead2 View Post
My idea two best ideas for trying to boost our image and reputation, 4K 24 hour webcams aimed at the skyline from key viewpoints like Forest Heights Park, Strathern Park, Saskatchewan Drive, Emily Murphy Park, Blatchford Field... That way the city or whomever controls it could generate hundreds if not thousands of stunning skyline images and video samples they could either give away for free for PR purposes... Think Getty Images... Also how about making like a landscape photographers guide to Edmonton, for people for all skill sets to be able to take great photographs of the city with the skyline or the river valley in the pictures... Kinda like Disneyland with those "photospot" signs... If it works for the most successful media company in history, it should be good for YEG...
You're hired...When can you start lol.

Great ideas...

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 10:10 PM
arf

Edmonton is the only city I've lived in where I could take a downhill ski lesson in the morning and then go watersliding in the afternoon. It's llke Canada's Dubai!

-- “We heal each other with kindness, gentleness and respect.” -- Richard Wagamese
-- “Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot, Nothing is going to get better. It's not.” -- Dr. Seuss

Old Posted Jan 17, 2018, 10:45 PM
HVAC guru

I’ve downhill skied at Silver Star in the morning and waterskied on Kal Lake (in a drysuit) in the afternoon... early May, but it is possible in several places in Western Canada

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 2:28 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

Vancouver, Edmonton and Calgary all offer the opportunity to be slope side from the office in under an hour except they have real mountains and we have ravines, but most people really don't care. And of course for those who live in those two cities most people don't actually do it, but it's nice to have the option...

Old Posted Feb 13, 2018, 4:49 PM
Community Guy

IPCC Conference March 5-7 has a ton of free/public events:

https://www.edmonton.ca/attractions_...ign=EPCORStage

Old Posted Mar 5, 2019, 8:19 PM
Community Guy

City of Edmonton unveils Smart Cities Challenge ‘Healthy City’ proposal in a bid to win $50 million
March 5, 2019

After more than a year of research and community consultation, the City of Edmonton submitted its proposal for the $50-million top prize in Infrastructure Canada’s Smart Cities Challenge. With the theme ‘Healthy City,’ Edmonton’s proposal uses an innovative, partnership-based approach, to help Edmonton become a healthier, more connected city while improving residents’ quality of life and well-being.

“Edmonton’s innovative Smart City approach to improve health addresses the true needs of the community through a collaboration between public sector organizations, private sector organizations and residents,” said Mayor Don Iveson. “This approach, enabled by technology, analytics and data, will bring Edmonton back to its roots — a place where all residents have equal opportunity to lead healthy lives.”

Incorporating feedback from Edmonton residents and partners, the proposal details the development and phased implementation of a Healthy City program, where the quality of life and well-being of residents will improve through changes to programs, policies and services at a municipal level.

“This proposal celebrates the incredible contributions from Edmonton’s thriving community of innovators across all sectors, and how, by working together, we can become one of Canada’s healthiest cities,” said Wendy Gnenz, the City’s Chief Information Officer and project sponsor for the Smart Cities Challenge.

Partnerships will be fundamental to the success of this program and will involve connections with residents, other levels of government, community organizations, educational institutions and businesses. The City of Edmonton will continue to evolve existing relationships with residents and partners, while leveraging connected technology and data to understand the challenges in the community and create sustainable solutions that are scalable across Canada.

In the fall of 2017, Infrastructure Canada announced the Smart Cities Challenge - an open competition to communities across the country to use data and connected technology to improve the lives of residents. In the spring of 2018, Edmonton was announced as one of five finalists in the competition’s $50-million category, competing against Vancouver/Surrey, Montreal, Quebec City and the Region of Waterloo.

Edmonton’s Smart Cities Challenge final proposal will be reviewed by a 13-person jury and members of the team will participate in a Finalist Showcase in Ottawa in May. Winners of the Smart Cities Challenge are expected to be announced later this spring.

The final proposal and finalist video are available at smartcities.edmonton.ca.

For more information:
smartcities.edmonton.ca

Media contact:
Matt Pretty
Communications Advisor
780-442-0970
780-886-7552

Old Posted Mar 20, 2019, 5:14 PM
Community Guy

Who's with me?

Love Boomerang
https://twitter.com/IanOyeg/status/1108411768701763585

@ianoyeg

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton