HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 2:48 PM

Location: Austin -> San Antonio -> Columbia -> San Antonio -> Chicago -> Austin -> Denver
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman View Post
Right you are..I'm headed to watch the topping out of the planeterium and the cloud touching county complex..Also I'm meeting Tom Stacy in his office atop the 800 ft building at 5th and Congress..What???? Wait a minute, this just in..Someone says those projects are not being built........
By the way you quote Trent"Walking Funeral" Reznor and call me cynical..
You do realize you can cherry pick as many projects as you want, but for every one of those there's a project that was successfully built, or two, or three.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 4:05 PM

Quote:
Hookem you are correct...Most of these projections are pie in the sky for sure..The Fairmount is 50% at best..This Rainey three tower complex has less than 5%..I would like to be more positive but this is all boots and no cattle. It gets boring after a time. Build it or shut the f--k up!!!!!
Wait I thought the Fairmount was a done deal. Surely they can get financing with J.W. Marriot pre-selling at a brisk pace.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 4:49 PM

I can be pessimistic about projects sometimes (3rd and Colorado), but I would be surprised if Fairmont doesn't happen. Also I believe 3rd and Colorado will be built now as well. This project is still too early to tell though the lack of previous history with high end real estate is the big worry. They could be getting all the permits to then flip the property again, but maybe not. They could have just as easily wanted to build a large project, and with the waller creek redevelopment, saw much greater promise in these properties than the one they sold.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 4:51 PM

Quote:
Right you are..I'm headed to watch the topping out of the planeterium and the cloud touching county complex..Also I'm meeting Tom Stacy in his office atop the 800 ft building at 5th and Congress..What???? Wait a minute, this just in..Someone says those projects are not being built........
By the way you quote Trent"Walking Funeral" Reznor and call me cynical..
..."walking funeral." I like it.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 6:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinSky View Post
I hope this gets built. Being a Rainey Street resident I would love to see something like this added in my backyard, but after seeing what Sutton did with the property on Rainey Street I remain skeptical.

It really bothers me to think what Sutton did with that deal.

They received all those permits to remove all those awesome houses and then flipped the property to some Houston development company called the Dinerstein Companies. I hope to god that company doesn't build anything like they have in their portfolio. They should keep places like that in Houston and certainly not on Rainey Street! And from what I understand the building there will be 8 stories? Lame..

As for this place it seems like a carbon copy of the Austonian. Its like they just pasted the image and added it to their initial designs. Also that equity company has no history of developing something close to this scale on the real estate end of their portfolio. I would be absolutely shocked if this one gets built. Shocked!

Again, I hope it happens....but it seems more pie in the sky if anything.
Agree on all points!

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 7:25 PM

From KVUE

KVUE did a piece on this and they had a different photo designed to confuse everyone since it doesn't look anything like the first.....

Old Posted May 3, 2013, 8:13 PM
Meh

^The building on the left kind of looks like One Canada Square in London, and the one on the right is Houston's Memorial Medical Plaza (shrunk a bit). I'm not sure what building that is in the middle.

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 1:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texastarkus View Post
KVUE did a piece on this and they had a different photo designed to confuse everyone since it doesn't look anything like the first.....
It's also the reverse order of what is presented in the actual rendering. It's really just a lazy attempt to draw attention and not even trying to be accurate at all...

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 5:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by verybadgnome View Post
Wait I thought the Fairmount was a done deal. Surely they can get financing with J.W. Marriot pre-selling at a brisk pace.
I don't think the Fairmount developers have made a definitive announcement with regards to financing. They have not named a lender or provided any figures or loan details. Projects usually don't get started until this kind of announcement has been made. They have spent a ton of money on plans, engineering studies, permitting, etc., but they have not really spelled out the details regarding financing. I think they are serious about wanting to do this project, but it remains to be seen whether they can line up the money to make it happen. I suspect that it will happen in the reasonably near future, but I kind of doubt they'll start on it this year.

Old Posted May 4, 2013, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austlar1 View Post
I don't think the Fairmount developers have made a definitive announcement with regards to financing. They have not named a lender or provided any figures or loan details. Projects usually don't get started until this kind of announcement has been made. They have spent a ton of money on plans, engineering studies, permitting, etc., but they have not really spelled out the details regarding financing. I think they are serious about wanting to do this project, but it remains to be seen whether they can line up the money to make it happen. I suspect that it will happen in the reasonably near future, but I kind of doubt they'll start on it this year.
Won't happen!!

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 7:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
They plan to file a site plan with the city within 90 days.
Did anything ever happen with this project?

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 8:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hereinaustin View Post
Did anything ever happen with this project?
Only recent permit I found for the properties of this project was a demolition permit for 96 Rainey.

Old Posted Aug 13, 2013, 2:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zedaref View Post
Only recent permit I found for the properties of this project was a demolition permit for 96 Rainey.
aka Bar 96. I would imagine that they would have planned on moving it similar to how they were talking about moving Lustre Pearl. It does have a much larger footprint than Lustre Pearl though.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 6:14 AM
Rundberg & I35

Bar 96 is on a different property a block away from this development. It would be interesting to found out if they did file a site plan. 90 days would have been August 1st.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by East7thStreet View Post
Bar 96 is on a different property a block away from this development.
Oops! I meant 96 Red River, not Rainey.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 3:19 PM

There are a total of three permits related to demolition at the development site. They are for 96 and 96 1/2 Red River:

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10978664
https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10999546
https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10976900

96 Red River is a now abandoned warehouse:

96 1/2 Red River is a house:

The demolitions are on the part of the site where the 65-story tower would be.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 4:12 PM

Here's another demolition permit that was filed this week for 94 Red River which is adjacent to the ones pictured above as well as nearby 505 Willow St. This project seems to be moving forward.

https://www.austintexas.gov/devrevie...erRSN=10999499

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 5:43 PM
Rundberg & I35

If you read their applications for demo they were denied by the city. It looks like they didn't clearly show the city where the fencing and protected trees were located on the property. While it is encouraging that they are trying to move forward on this development .... it's weird that they can't even figure out a simple demo permit for a 500 million dollar project.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 5:49 PM

Denied requests are common.

Old Posted Aug 16, 2013, 8:03 PM

denied request is still better than no request!

I hope this thing moves forward. The actually demo'd a house right across the street from iron works about 6 months ago. Not sure if that is going to be part of this or not, but is still a lot of land to build on.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin