HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
I don't doubt it. The 2 lane loop ramp that opened at the highway 2/2A interchange south of Calgary back in 2003 or so? Seems like a very straight forward concept but the amount of research that went into whether or not it would work is hilarious, because they hadn't really done it before. So you can imagine how much they're stressing over the DDI.
They didn't have much trouble selling this plan to the public so I don't see why they would be stressing out over it. My big concern is the signage given how bad the city is at signing roads properly.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2016, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acey View Post
The public are not the people to whom you have to sell it, so that wouldn't matter.
Who are they selling it to then?

Old Posted Dec 18, 2016, 3:05 AM

Can we return this thread to Edmonton matters please. I have a question about how much work will actually be completed on the Yellowhead - for the 1 billion dollars and what will be left outstanding. News articles state full freeway right through - at least the ones I have read - no lights or stopping. What's likely to be completed?

Old Posted Dec 20, 2016, 5:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
... I have a question about how much work will actually be completed on the Yellowhead - for the 1 billion dollars and what will be left outstanding. News articles state full freeway right through - at least the ones I have read - no lights or stopping. What's likely to be completed?
You won't see much early on - just a few intersection closures and perhaps some utility relocation.

The real work, as in new interchanges starts in 2021 with four years of traffic nightmare to follow.

But in the end - yes, free flow from just west of Elk Island to Highway 44.

https://www.edmonton.ca/projects_pla...egic-plan.aspx

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 2:55 PM
BANNED

great to see some commitment to finally getting this done. bit puzzled by the timelines though, I thought 149 St had detailed design done already, couldn't they at least get that one going sooner?

also disappointed to see 121 st config left as is.. airport lands are still pretty clean slate, take the opportunity to fix up some awkward spots in the road network there, while the overly ambitious development plans get brought back to reality

connecting the 118 av segments, and extending 109 st to yellowhead would be huge wins for the road network

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 5:34 PM

I agree, but I'd say connect the 118 segments - even as a 2- lane collector, not an arterial, and then Kingsway can be continuous with 121st.

And I'm still partial to connecting 121st south of Yellowhead to 127st to the north using a sort of stretched circle using access roads on either side of the Yellowhead.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 5:39 PM

I don't know if the situation is the same on the east side, but I see far more people crossing the Yellowhead on foot or on bikes at 66st than I see at 50th street, and I can't remember seeing even one, ever, at ft road/WGD.

Are our overpasses really so shitty for non-drivers that crossing a highway at grade is preferable? If that's the truth then we really need to fix them.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2016, 9:47 PM
Community Guy

Key street in the Quarters Downtown opens to traffic

December 21, 2016

The Quarters Downtown has reached a major milestone now that the Armature, a 4.5 block stretch along 96 Street from 103A Avenue to Jasper Avenue, is open to traffic.

“The Armature is a cornerstone of The Quarters Downtown revitalization and its completion signals great progress for this community,” Mary Ann Debrinski, Director Urban Renewal.

The Armature is a pedestrian-oriented street, and the core’s first “green street”. Special soil systems are being used to capture rainfall. The rain is used to help water trees and other vegetation along the street.

The Armature is expected to become the heart of the Quarters Downtown. Custom furniture, bike racks and lamp posts have been specifically created for the Armature to make it pedestrian-friendly. Work on the Armature also included updating the utilities and drainage along the street.

The street is one of the key pillars attracting development to the area, including the newly-opened Hyatt Place Hotel.

Funding for The Quarters Downtown project comes through The Quarters Community Revitalization Levy (CRL). The City received Council approval to invest $100 million into the revitalization of the area.

For more information:

edmonton.ca/TheQuartersDowntown

Media contact:

Lesley Vaage
Communications Advisor
Sustainable Development
780-495-0651

Wake me up when I can see skyscrapers

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 6:26 PM

^ This has been way too long coming. More Transportation Dept buffoonery?

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 6:58 PM

The Armiture looked like it sat empty (and complete) with zero construction activity for at least a year if not more.

But I know there's always more than meets the eye so I'd be interested to know what the hold up was.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 6:59 PM

PS great news though, look forward to walk the area and really hope it will spur some development.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 7:22 PM

It was kind of an unnecessary street until the hotel opened. I don't know what was still being done but leaving it closed saved a winter's worth of snow removal damage.

Old Posted Dec 22, 2016, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikemike View Post
It was kind of an unnecessary street until the hotel opened. I don't know what was still being done but leaving it closed saved a winter's worth of snow removal damage.
almost a road from and to nowhere now

Last edited by EdmTrekker; Dec 22, 2016 at 11:03 PM.

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 6:45 PM

Couple of items from the provincial budget:

Edmonton drivers rejoice after Alberta budget promises to axe at-grade 50 Street rail crossing
http://globalnews.ca/news/3317986/ed...rail-crossing/

Funding for Fort Saskatchewan bridge twinning
http://www.630ched.com/2017/03/17/al...idge-twinning/

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdmTrekker View Post
almost a road from and to nowhere now

As it is now its pretty desolate. I drove this road friday afternoon.

Actually...that so called art the COE put on this street is creepy as hell. Especially at night.

And that is the last thing this area needs!

Art fail.......

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 9:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post

Edmonton drivers rejoice after Alberta budget promises to axe at-grade 50 Street rail crossing
http://globalnews.ca/news/3317986/ed...rail-crossing/

An item included in the Alberta government’s 2017 budget sparked joy and relief from many Edmonton drivers and cyclists Thursday.

Dam good news for sure.....

Thats rich....I have traveled this road every day for many years. I can count on one hand how many times I have seen a Cyclist!!!

Old Posted Mar 18, 2017, 11:20 PM
Moran supreme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Black Star View Post
An item included in the Alberta government’s 2017 budget sparked joy and relief from many Edmonton drivers and cyclists Thursday.

Dam good news for sure.....

Thats rich....I have traveled this road every day for many years. I can count on one hand how many times I have seen a Cyclist!!!

Shush, that's evil talk and you know it.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 2:13 PM
Change is good

no cyclists on 50th street - because its a god damn nightmare to cycle on this street. motorists are very unforgiving on this road, they don't expect cyclists, dont give room and its very busy street. Add in that people frequently go well beyond the speed limit, lots of turn in/out traffic, no sidewalks to get out of harms way.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 3:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallsy's Toupee View Post

This one is more than long over due. This is a least 4 Premiers Old. Maybe even 5.

Old Posted Mar 20, 2017, 3:20 PM

^ I think there were also plans to build a new highway and river crossing between Edmonton and south of Fort Saskatchewan at some point.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Edmonton