HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast

Old Posted Apr 12, 2019, 6:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packer16 View Post
It really was. Last year raised $1.8M so $700K more is pretty impressive. Culverhouse School of Business led the way with amount and number of gifts. I was kind of disappointed with the engineers. They had one substantial donation and if it wasn't for that it wouldn't have been in the top 7 on the leaderboard

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 2:18 AM

Thumbs up New Tutwiler Hall renderings

Not what I expected, but looks nice. Will be great to replace the eyesore that is the current tower. With all the new amazing sorority houses right there and the huge new(er) Supe Store next door, this will complete a nice transformation of that edge of campus. Quite picturesque.

https://www.tuscaloosanews.com/photo...412009998/PH/1

Last edited by MdtwnATL; Apr 14, 2019 at 2:32 AM.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 4:48 PM

Another Rebuild Alabama Act project confirmed: Tuscaloosa’s McFarland Blvd to be expanded

Quote:
Governor Kay Ivey on Monday announced that the Alabama Department of Transportation is purchasing the right of way for the expansion of McFarland Boulevard (US 82) in Tuscaloosa from State Route 69 to Rice Mine Road, as part of the Rebuild Alabama First Year Plan 2020

Old Posted Apr 23, 2019, 8:14 AM
Cat Enthusiast

I know many in Alabama have complained that 1) gas tax is going to rise, and 2) that the measures taken to increase it were rushed.

Frankly, I don't give a damn. The degree to which ALDOT has had to slash the number of projects it can fund has been ridiculous over the past 10-15 years. I know many do not like it, but how else are we going to fund improvements instead of simple maintenance (btw, simple maintenance is about 90% of ALDOT's focus, due to funding).

No, the new gas tax wil not contriute directly to public transit, but at least ALDOT will be able to increase roadway capacity where necessary (no induced demand anticipated, at the moment).

Finally, The Big 4 (now The Big 4 + Tuscaloosa; I'm not ready to call it 'The Big 5' yet...) will actually experience funding for capital projects instead of only maintenance of existing infrastructure.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted May 8, 2019, 12:31 AM

So, could this be the opportunity to clean up McFarland with new businesses, landscaping and rules on signage height and such? Hmmmm

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MdtwnATL View Post
It's great that the business school is getting a new building, but I have to say that I really wish that there could be a bit more imagination used when designing new buildings for campus. Do I mean modern designs? Absolutely not - there is definitely a style that must be honored. However, the rectangle boxes with a few columns in the front is starting to get a bit monotonous across campus. Just my $.02.

http://cw.ua.edu/45087/news/culverho...uilding/#photo
Aren't you just repeating yourself there?

This slavish devotion to Greek Revival has spread to the entire city and turned Tuscaloosa into a red brick monotonal nightmare. Is glass more precious than gold here, or what?

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttownfeen View Post
Aren't you just repeating yourself there?
Nah, what I mean is they can still honor certain elements to tie into the architectural theme of campus without building the same square building with columns that they've been stuck on lately.

Some good existing examples:

And this is what there's too much of:

Last edited by MdtwnATL; Feb 25, 2020 at 5:14 PM.

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 12:51 AM
Cat Enthusiast

Frankly, I find the adherence to Greek Revival to be perfectly fine. However, I more appreciate the Italianate architecture of Morgan, Smith, and BB Comer Halls.

While I don't mind the Greek Revival architecture that is being uses across campus, I do think that if the University had a default Italianate architectural style, it would be a much more unique campus. But, I am biases, as I am quite the Italophyle.

SSP Alabama Universities: Alabama - UAB - Alabama State

Old Posted Jun 26, 2019, 6:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpawnOfVulcan View Post
Frankly, I find the adherence to Greek Revival to be perfectly fine. However, I more appreciate the Italianate architecture of Morgan, Smith, and BB Comer Halls.

While I don't mind the Greek Revival architecture that is being uses across campus, I do think that if the University had a default Italianate architectural style, it would be a much more unique campus. But, I am biases, as I am quite the Italophyle.
Trust, there's nothing much to complain about since UA's campus is truly one of the most beautiful out there, just noticed a little less imagination in recent proposals.

I also LOVE Morgan, Smith and BB Comer buildings and how Morgan and Smith mirror one another behind Gorgas Library.

Old Posted Jan 25, 2021, 2:44 PM

Long time no see. I came back home from out of state and drove around the area. It's definitely time for Walt to put his focus on bringing and/or creating jobs. Love the development around the riverfront and downtown. But in order for Tuscaloosa to really hit the next step, they need to attract more jobs to retain younger professionals.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2021, 3:02 PM

Looks like Comcast just completed installing fiber optic network upgrades for the city. Good for them to have faster and more efficient internet for hospitals, schools, etc..

Use this to your advantage and attract jobs to support the city.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2021, 1:45 PM

Quote:
Ivey announced that Tuscaloosa County, which is providing a $64,500 match to receive the funds, will use the Community Development Block Grant to provide infrastructure improvements and upgrades needed by Schnellecke Logistics Alabama to locate in a new building near the Mercedes-Benz U.S. International automobile plant in Vance.
Quote:
Schnellecke Logistics Alabama intends to hire 162 workers once its 530,000-square-foot logistics warehouse is completed, state officials said, with employment for a total of 373 people at the facility by its third year in operation.
Good for the county to add more jobs. Mercedes has been the economic engine for Tuscaloosa. Just wish Walt and company would capitalize on this and bring in more jobs.

Old Posted Feb 16, 2021, 10:41 PM

Chamber Moves HQ To Regions Building In Downtown Tuscaloosa

Quote:
The Chamber of Commerce of West Alabama on Monday announced plans to open the West Alabama Workforce and Community Development Center at the Regions Bank building in downtown Tuscaloosa, which is viewed as an economic development game-changer for the region.
Quote:
The Chamber said in a press release that the facility has been planned for more than two years and is the first of its kind in Alabama. It will house not only the Chamber and West Alabama Works, but numerous workforce and community development organizations. While the ongoing coronavirus pandemic had an impact of the timetable of the deal, the Chamber has now moved into the facility at 2222 9th Street.

The new home of The Chamber sold its office space in the River Bluff Office Park on Jack Warner Parkway and purchased its new home from Regions Bank. Regions will reportedly soon move into a newly-constructed building nearby at 800 22nd Avenue in late March.

Old Posted Jul 22, 2021, 11:36 PM

UA 2nd Avenueoverpass opens August 4th

Quote:
The mile-long, $21 million pedestrian, auto and bicycle bridge is designed to connect 15th Street to Paul W. Bryant Drive, allowing people to skip over the train tracks and cut down on traffic in the area.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2021, 8:45 PM

I'm hearing that the City of Tuscaloosa and the University of Alabama could work together to build a new AmTrak train station at the location of the new overpass. Infrastucture dollars will be important and could allow for several stops per day from the AmTrak Crecent Line (that runs from New York to New Orleans through Tuscaloosa).

Old Posted Aug 10, 2021, 12:46 PM

The former owner of Cravings is set to open "TuscNY" in winter. I've known Dan since he opened Cravings and he's a hidden gem for the city. He traveled to Vegas, Chicago, and NYC to learn from some of the best to perfect pizza to bring it to Tuscaloosa. Location will be right across from Southern Ale House.

Can't wait to come back to T-Town. Really miss the city.

Old Posted Aug 11, 2021, 10:22 PM

I will keep my eye out for "TuscNY". I love a good NY-style pizza.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2022, 12:37 PM

https://tuscaloosathread.com/aldot-p...in-tuscaloosa/

Good to see these projects that have been talked about for years are finally starting to get some movement.

Old Posted Aug 3, 2022, 12:38 PM

Looks promising. Hope it comes to fruition.

https://patch.com/alabama/tuscaloosa...m_medium=email

Old Posted Dec 21, 2022, 8:41 PM

In the latest Omnibus bill, Shelby has earmarked $100 million for the Woolsey Finnell Bridge. Are they going to rebuild it?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southeast